TfL & Southern Rail, funding and responsibilities

You’re lucky…Myself and many people I know have been told to prepare to return 1st week in June, in fact 3/4 of my team have been in for the last week

1 Like

Fare paying passengers, as ordered by the government. Or so the theory went until March 2020…

Not quite. They’re just running a service for a fee. A bit like a cleaning contractor…

Yes I am lucky, pretty much my entire workplace can work from home. Can your job only be done at work? I am at a loss to understand why any employer would recall staff at the moment if they can work from home.

no sadly not-without going into details there is only so much we can do from home.
There is only me and one other lady who are still at home.
In both our cases we know our workplace has put into action great safeguards as regards the safety of the staff IN work but neither of us can get our heads round using the underground and in my case overground too.

1 Like

Nor can I to be honest so I feel for you. Is cycling an option?

1 Like

Are you able to drive in? I realize the congestion charge is coming back, and at a higher rate from June 22nd, but maybe Khan could be convinced to extend the rebate scheme to all key workers, not just NHS staff. Even if you’re not classed as a key worker and don’t have a car that might free up some capacity to make public transport less crowded.

1 Like

This post was flagged and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Since the lockdown, all of the remaining TOCs are nationalised in all but name. Two are directly owned by the DfT, Northern and LNER run by the Operator of Last Resort.

2 Likes

Thank you, rbmartin. v useful to know

1 Like

No sadly I dont drive-The congestion charge returned today and some of my colleagues
who drive have just swallowed and paid it.
I’m unable to cycle so I’m just intending to wrap my face in a scarf, wear gloves and keep my fingers crossed on the train and tube.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you and your colleagues are having such worrisome and in some cases expensive journeys. I hope it gets a bit easier for you as people get better organized and space themselves more. And that people take their noses out of their phones and watch where they’re going. Best of luck. Take care.

3 Likes

Thank you!
Its going to be even more expensive as I’ve found out that from next month I can’t use my freedom pass for free travel during rush hour.
Obviously the assumption is most over 60’s dont work!

1 Like

From what I understand, it’s the morning peak only where the Freedom Pass won’t be valid temporarily.

You’ll still be able to use it after 0930 weekdays and all day weekends and bank holidays.

1 Like

What’s interesting is that TFL and the Mayor have been saying for weeks the busiest time has come forward. Their website still says:

Our network is at its busiest between the hours of 05:45-08:15

That’s interesting but thinking about it I’m not that surprised. Many key workers and those who can’t work from home tend to start work early. If you’ve ever taken the Jubilee line before 7:30 you will likely have noticed large numbers of construction workers on their way to Central London.

In contrast, I reckon that most of the typical 9-5 folk are either working from home or not at all.

2 Likes

Yes I think you’re right from various news items I’ve seen on TV recently. That’s why I’m curious why TFL need to restrict Freedom pass and 60+ Oyster card holders on TFL services before 9.30. Or it’s just easy to stick with 9.30 as that matches what has always been the case on non TFL services.

It matches the time when the peak fare ends on Oyster/Contactless (which is 0927 to be precise).

Worth noting that Freedom Pass usage in the morning peak has been only on TfL services, such as the Overground from Forest Hill, buses, tubes and DLR. Southern have never allowed Freedom Passes before 0930, even where the trains run alongside Overground services.

3 Likes