Archived on 6/5/2022

The Clumsy Mole (Dec 2017 - Apr 2018)

TheClumsyMole
9 Dec '17

The Clumsy Mole is open!!! After refurbishing ‘‘Donde tapas’’, we are back, and seeing forward to see all of you there!!!
Great music, food and drinks!!!

starman
9 Dec '17

Many congratulations. Will you offer a home delivery service as you did as Donde Tapas?

Briony
9 Dec '17

SE23.life users @Angharad_Cooper and @Adz enjoying a bevvy at The Clumsy Mole!

Angharad_Cooper
9 Dec '17

The music was great tonight! :slight_smile:

Jack
10 Dec '17

The sausage sandwich was amazing! - I recommend.

Hollow
10 Dec '17

Best of luck!

anon53860779
10 Dec '17

We’ll pop in! It looked really nice as we walked past yesterday. Do you guys do Sunday roasts by any chance?

Angharad_Cooper
10 Dec '17

Can anybody shed any light on the mole concept? Intrigued.

DickWynne
10 Dec '17

Steve and I just enjoyed a late lunch at the Mole — we have been having Donde withdrawal symptoms but we loved the new look and the superb food. I really think Jason has pulled it off.

PS Sunday roasts from January.

Ali_Harper
11 Dec '17

Popped in last night for early dinner and thought it was very good. I really enjoyed the boiled bacon, bubble and squeak with parsley sauce… not something you see on a pub or restaurant menu very often, and probably not something I’ve had since a kid! The bar is well stocked with cans and bottles of craft beers… the four taps dominated with Adnams choices plus one guest beer.

We were fans of Donde as it was good value and a good local alternative to other options around… I think TCM will still fit that bill nicely and look forward to going back soon.

Jack
11 Dec '17

Went there on both Saturday & Sunday - I love it in there. The food is excellent. The hand cut chips are amazing. The bread they use for the sandwiches is bloody gorgeous.

Long Live the Mole!

DecEag
11 Dec '17

DecEag
11 Dec '17

We have a real life Basil Fawlty amongst us, Jason has dedicated one of the toilets to that chap in Czech who has the original copyright for the Clumsy Mole and the other to the author of Adrian Mole!! Brilliant Jason!! Haha.

Borough
16 Dec '17

Loved the Haddock and chips, and the beer. Can’t wait to try the rest of the menu.

Hollow
17 Dec '17

Anyone know what days it’s open over the holiday period?

fran
17 Dec '17

Went this weekend. The fish and chips was delicious. Would like there to be some vegetables with the kids meals if possible. Wine very good value. Quite liked all the moles :slight_smile: seating is much more comfortable than before but looks a little like it was a job lot from the local Masonic hall.

All in all, really liked it and can see we’ll be regulars (as we were at Dondes). Would like to see what it’s like in the evening too for drinks.

Ps @anon5422159 will be pleased to see it states clearly no kids after 8 and last kids meals orders at 7.15

anon5422159
17 Dec '17

Sounds great @Fran. An opportunity for people who like being surrounded by children, and also an opportunity for adults who like adult company. Good on @TCM for giving both groups the freedom to have what they want.

Meliski
8 Jan '18

does anyone know if Sunday roasts have started yet?

Pea
3 Feb '18

I went in today and Sunday roasts are now available.

Had a lovely Gin fizz and my husband had a Beer. Was a bit quiet but was a miserable day. Service was great. Wonder if they could put a little board outside each day with what they have to offer - cocktail happy hour perhaps, roasts etc. Given it’s new and perhaps people are unaware of what it has to offer, this may garner interest?

Will definitely go back.

NickM
23 Feb '18

The Clumsy Mole is back to serving tapas (described as ‘sharing plates’) and abandoning the other menu, with the exception of their burgers. A good move in my opinion.

Pea
23 Feb '18

Oh yay!!

DickWynne
23 Feb '18

I liked the new menu but it wasn’t as useful or flexible as the old one. Now just needs the old chairs & tables back*, I feel like I blundered into the last 10 mins of FlogIt in there lately.

*Minus the sticky surfaces

NickM
24 Feb '18

The French waitress in there is a star, and deserves a medal for charm, helpfulness and all round niceness.

TCM
24 Feb '18

Thanks Nick,

She has been a real asset to us.

She’s also in a band we’re looking at date for a live set.

J

CHfigaro
13 Mar '18

First visit last night. Disappointed. My friend and I had the only table in there at one point (and when it wasn’t just us there wasn’t only one other table) but the guy serving was more interested in looking at his phone than looking up to check on us and cash consequently our plates were finished but sat on the table for 30 mins. Burger was average I’d say. Someone who seemed to perhaps be the owner called in and had a burger himself but that didn’t improve the service.

Dave
13 Mar '18

Did you say anything to the person serving you at the time?

CHfigaro
14 Mar '18

No I didn’t, to be fair.

NickM
15 Mar '18

Went in last night to the Mole and had a really nice meal. Tapas menu is shorter than before but I thought the food was better - tastier and fresher. Service was good. A nice bottle of Rioja. Portion sizes perhaps a tad smaller than before before but still good value. Only complaint was that no Patatas Bravas on the menu!! (Sweet potato fries were good but not quite the same thing)

MaxandHari
26 Mar '18

Hmm. Still not made it yet. Two questions.

1. Is there air vegan (please, no felafe, literally the laziest option everl)
  2. Is it any warmer? No matter what time of year I went in to Donde, it was always fricking cold.
  3. (Sneaky question) are the seats more comfortable than the previous metal and wood offerings?

I want to support local business, but there has to be a reason for me to go there other than it being local.

anon5422159
22 Apr '18

Discussion continues here: Donde Tapas