Archived on 6/5/2022

The Clumsy Mole (formerly Donde)

Jack
11 Nov '17

The Clumsy Mole! - replacing Donde

Will
11 Nov '17

Menu has some nice/yummy ideas on it. Although I think they might want to rethink the mole logo they’ve clumsily pinched (a famous Czech/German character called Krtek) before they run into copyright issues. The owner of the character and copyright is Zdenek Miler.

Irmani_Smallwood
11 Nov '17

Do we know if it is the same team as previously? or has it changed hands?

Jack
11 Nov '17

Same team

Roadrummer
12 Nov '17

I’d be interested to know if Donde re-brand to Clumsy Mole serving craft beer and English fare is Brexit related. It was predicted that the first people to suffer would be those that rely on specific imports from Europe.

anon5422159
12 Nov '17

:information_source: Verified members - if you’d like to join our lively political discussions on SE23.life, please join our “General Politics” group.

Advance warning - any replies here of a political nature will be moved to the relevant discussion in Politicos.

Audrey_Finch
12 Nov '17

Pretty unusual name and menu. Can’t quite make sense of it, but wish them luck obvs.

Emily
12 Nov '17

Woah that’s an odd menu. And it’s not a restaurant anymore but a bar? And what’s with all the mole references - I don’t get it?

HOPcrossbun
12 Nov '17

Eclectic menu looks tasty. The mole concept is young and fresh. Even better if it’s going me more of a bar than a restaurant - we really need one on the HOP high street - can’t wait till it opens :+1:

wattsicle
13 Nov '17

I wish them well & admire them for giving something new a go but the menu & the branding leaves me feeling ‘meh.’ If I want a drink I’ll go to Chandos. I’ll miss Donde.

wineisallforme
13 Nov '17

That’s an absolutely bonkers logo, and some bizarre branding guidelines.

Ignoring the similarity to the Czech cartoon, a certain marmalade mascot, and the Black & White Minstrel Show, which lunatic decided that this Beano reject is the guy who’s going to send people rushing through the doors in a mad frenzy, desperate to add a side of bacon to their “Clumsy Survivor”?

Also, those puns. GuacaMOLE? Sausage MOLEs? What is going on? The cries for attention using that mad font makes it look like a kidnap victim is trying to communicate with the outside world through a laminated menu. It’s the work of a madman. I’m waiting for the first ransom demand to appear on SE23 Life made out of newspaper cuttings, jauntily saying “SHELLO”, and asking for some “SCRATCH” or they’re going to “MOLEst” the first 10 customers.

Basically it’s a mess.

Hope the business does well though!

Foresthillnick
13 Nov '17

Yes indeed something about it screams desperation. Not one for me.

Jerry
13 Nov '17

I couldn’t agree more - this looks utterly bonkers… There are undoubtedly some decent businesses in HOP, and yes it is much better than it was a decade ago, but I am again left questioning why our high street refuses to take note of the success story nearby in Crofton Park and actually offer services with broader appeal? The ridiculous place next door which has been in development for over a year and might one day open to offer high-end wines, cheese and coffee - great, the forlorn deli, the weirdly dark furniture place across the road that never seems open all create a muddled, hotchpotch of a high street.

Adz
13 Nov '17

The whole menu definitely has a hint of “task from The Apprentice” about it. Very, very muddled.

starman
13 Nov '17

Copying cause there isn’t a ROFL option!

Londondrz
13 Nov '17

Jeez, place hasn’t even opened yet. Tough crowd.

anon5422159
13 Nov '17

They do have a chance to change their branding at this early stage. Now’s the time for honest feedback.

anon86223367
13 Nov '17

Adz and wineisallforme with two two of the funniest forum posts I ever read. Thanks guys.

Hope it goes well for them!

wineisallforme
13 Nov '17

Don’t get me wrong. I’ll be there on opening night. Can’t wait

Londondrz
13 Nov '17

I have to say, I like the menu. With fussy kids and fussy friends there is a bit of everything there.

starman
13 Nov '17

My favourite bit.

Coming in 2018… Deliveroo.

Michael
13 Nov '17

6x10^23 avocados. That’s a clumsy mole.

divya_m
13 Nov '17

:joy: Genius!

Emily
14 Nov '17

“All our grub is made from SCRATCH because that’s what MOLES like to do’

What part of that makes any sense?

Is it a pun saying moles like to scratch (if so eww) or is it simply saying moles like to cook from scratch (which they obviously don’t)

Jerry
14 Nov '17

I don’t think I have knowingly ever eaten ‘grub’…

blushingsnail
14 Nov '17

I don’t consider myself to be overly sensitive about political-correctness but that mole logo is screaming ‘black face’ even to me. Not a good look in this day and age.

Wynell
14 Nov '17

Wow, I sit here amazed from criticism over the title, wording of the menu to accusations of racial abuse.
What happened to is the food good value, the ambience pleasing and the service exemplary.
I have been in the Red Lion and there is no Lion, the Carpenters Arms no woodworking. Slug & lettuce and would have been horrified to find something in my salad! So finally The Black boy in Wales relating to chimney sweeps.

Come on peeps lets have some common sense!

Emily
14 Nov '17

Yes but those are just names. The Slug and Lettuce doesn’t have a theme or menu that goes on about slugs or lettuce (outside of their salads)!

For me it’s not so much the name or the awful puns, I just think the menu looks a little confused. I’ll still definitely go and give it a go though.

anon10646030
14 Nov '17

I gotta say if I would be on the brink of opening a new independ business be it revamped business I would be pretty upset about all those negative comments, however I am sure dominos will deliver a much more straight forward branding and menu to keep the locals happy :smiley:

anon5422159
14 Nov '17

Business owners are made of strong stuff.

If I were opening a local business I’d keenly listen to all comments, good or bad (in fact especially the bad).

Nothing is set in stone. A brand name, logo and some quirks on a tentative menu can be easily changed. If the owner is listening, (s)he has the benefit of an honest local forum.

anon10646030
14 Nov '17

If Mr Fogg’s Taverne can be highly successful featuring a frog :frog: I am sure there is space for a clumsy mole in this world

Nadia
14 Nov '17

£3 seems a bit excessive for one handcut chip.
But then again, I don’t want to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Michael
14 Nov '17

It’s a chip buttie not a chips buttie.
If you just want hand cut chips these are on the menu without the buttie for less.

However, I’m just reading the menu and i deny having any conversations with anybody on the inside, or placing said person there to spy on the progress. To be clear; i do not have a mole in this organisation.

Adz
15 Nov '17

Anyone want to take a guess at the dessert menu? Jam MOLEy poly, Creme MOLEe.

People saying that we shouldn’t be criticising, businesses pay good money for this kind of feedback. If people are saying they find the menu and concept confusing and a little bit laboured (guacamole seems to have been added to the menu purely because it has mole in the name as it bears little relation to any other dish on the menu) then surely it’s something they would want to know before they open for business?

My guess (or hope) would be that that sample menu, typos and all, was drawn up after a late night redecorating when ‘Shello’ sounded like a good idea for a menu section and The Clumsy Survivor (?) made some kind of sense and that it indicates the direction they want to go not necessarily the finished product.

Emily
15 Nov '17

I thought that about the guacamole - what are you ordering it as a side to?!

Jerry
15 Nov '17

The £3 chip perhaps?

Hollow
15 Nov '17

Burger, steak, fish & chips, bangers&mash and mussels&frites. All of which seem quite appetising. Its just something about the way the menu is written or laid out, it’s not that clear on first glance what the staples are meant to be. The font for the “sides” is bigger than the mains for example.

Thats just my 2cents. The way a menu is laid out and it’s design is very important in my opinion. Just look how much confusion there is on this forum about what this place is actually focusing on / offering. People are drawn to the wrong things eg: £3 chips (£2 with a main or Free with the mussels!). All of that is not clear.

AgentBlonde
15 Nov '17

I’ve sent this thread to Jason, the owner. He said he’s going to be making some changes based on the feedback shared here before opening, and that the comments made him smile. He’s not upset - so no hard feelings!

I’ve encouraged him to set up his own account on SE23.life, so hopefully he’ll be able to answer any questions soon.

anon5422159
15 Nov '17

Excellent, thanks @AgentBlonde :+1:

Emily
15 Nov '17

Excellent - I hope the business is a roaring success!

wineisallforme
15 Nov '17

Adz and I would be happy to provide more feedback on what would make a quality menu for TCM

DecEag
16 Nov '17

A refreshing totally off the wall idea!! I do hope there will be a cocktail menu as this would certainly encourage people to pop in?
Anyone know if they will be open on News Years Eve? Be so handy to pop down to a local establishment rather than having to travel.
Good luck Mr Mole!

jdj1907
17 Nov '17

So if I can sum up the forum correctly:
Members - We want something different to revitalise the high street and attract more people, also some more places to drink would be great
Entrepreneur - Here’s a zany idea, a bar with a bit of fun and difference
Members - NO, Your mascots weird - look here’s a reference to a similar Czech cartoon you obviously stole HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW THIS!, your prices too high, old place was better, GO AWAY!!!
Entrepreneur - …
Members - Why is no one coming to Honor Oak…what can be done…

Wynell
17 Nov '17

Well posted, you did miss racism, choice of font and other nit picks. Hope business does well and anyone who posted negatives tries it and adds comments based on experience.

Will
17 Nov '17

Wow, now I feel a bit bad for pointing out that the cartoon mole was a copy of a Czech character. As someone working in the creative business I just thought they should perhaps credit the artist… Didn’t expect the poor place to get so much criticism on here. As I said before I think there are some tasty sounding items on the menu and I’d give it a go! Good luck to them!

fran
17 Nov '17

I think most of the comments were well meaning and trying to be helpful. Market research and testing is key in the success of a business, as is being responsive to feedback from customers or potential customers. If a business isn’t going to respond well to feedback or at least have a thick skin about it, then they are unlikely to be long in business anyway.

fran
17 Nov '17

I personally think the food is the sort of thing that would do well in the area, but agree the way it’s laid out on the menu is a little confusing (and some weird typos). So I think a little rejiggle of the layout and a little less quirkiness would go a long way.

My big question is will it be more comfortable? Before the furniture was always a little weird and it always felt a bit bare and empty.

fran
17 Nov '17

Also, will they welcome or discourage people with kids?

TCM
17 Nov '17

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for showing an interest in my concept.

your comments have been very beneficial to me as i am spontaneous and somewhat impulsive, i do recognize logo and menu format was a bit gobblygoop and im working on toning it down without the corny puns, people who know me i do like a pun mind.

on a serious note i have been wanting to go a new direction for a while, i did tapas for 11 years which i accept some of you will miss, but i wanted a change before i get older and greyer and do something different.

Please dont take offence if i dont engage and respond often, i’m just not great at all this social media stuff…but appreciate every comment even more so the negative ones…

I just say hello and thank you.

kind regards

Jason

anon5422159
17 Nov '17

Welcome to the forum, Jason :+1:

It’s really good to hear you appreciate the feedback and took the comments in the light-hearted way (I’m sure) they were intended.

I wish you every success with the new restaurant and hope you’ll be comfortable using this forum to scope out the concept and get feedback that will help in your success on the high street under a new brand.

Let me know if I can help with any forum-related questions.

DecEag
17 Nov '17

Thanks for coming on here Jason.

If only more owners did!!

I wish you all the best in the new venture, I am sure the food will be great, as you say 11 years is a long time on what is effectively the same product, appreciate you are interested in feedback, always room for corny puns so don’t change!

TCM
17 Nov '17

TCM
17 Nov '17

TCM
17 Nov '17

Thanks again everyone for your feedback hopefully this menu is alot clearer to read and understand what im trying to do

Jack
17 Nov '17

Looks good!

Can you give us an idea on how many different beers / what beers and ales you will stock? Will there be a rotation of beers on tap?

Audrey_Finch
17 Nov '17

Much improved IMHO!

janelouise
18 Nov '17

Lovely response, thanks Jason. Only thing that really jumps out at me now is that there’s not much for veggies/peskies - any chance of a couple more tasty veg things? Thanks!

TCM
18 Nov '17

Yes im working on a veggie sausage and burger recipe next week…will also look at introducing new veggie alternatives when we bed in after a week or 2…

Will be introducing a compressive choice of craft and premuim beers with a guest draught rotating regularly… other things to look forward to are gins, non alcholic beers and cocktails…

As a dad of 2 boys i do want to create a family environment where the little people can enjoy a smaller version from the adult menu,but to be transparent and clear i feel a fair time to make the venue adult only will be 8pm tho…its a very delicate decision this but i want to strike the right balance for all…it would most valuable to me hear your thoughts as i want to get this right.

Kind regards

Jason TCM

anon5422159
18 Nov '17

All sounds good Jason

Very sensible to have a cut-off. I wish they’d do the same in other local restaurants like Mamma Dough

Fishingcat
19 Nov '17

Menu looks great! We were fans of Donde and will be checking out your new venture at the earliest opportunity.

CHfigaro
19 Nov '17

The chocolate fondant will be enough to make me give it a try :slight_smile:

fran
19 Nov '17

Very pleased the aubergine bake is still on the menu. My favourite!

FHGinClub
19 Nov '17

Let us know what gin you have on offer and we’ll add you to our website. hello@foresthillginclub.com

Jerry
20 Nov '17

Well done Jason, I take my hat off to you for taking on board some of the feedback and adapting your plans. I really look forward to coming in and trying the beers, gin and food! Very best wishes for the opening.

Tersie
21 Nov '17

Great you have taken comments on board Jason, branding and menu looks way better :blush: Look forward to checking out TCM and details of opening!

DecEag
21 Nov '17

Personally I like’d the original branding but good on you for listening to the feedback on here Jason.

I do hope I find The Clumsy Mole is just open rather than a glorious large opening night where it would be packed with people, watch this space eh???

Menu looks the biz.

Hoarsewhisperer
23 Nov '17

Looks good although missing the shepherd’s pie from the original post :sob:

Jack
7 Dec '17

Apparently the clumsy mole is open tonight!

anon5422159
9 Dec '17

Pleased to see the restaurant is open. Our conversation continues here: The Clumsy Mole (Dec 2017 - Apr 2018)