Archived on 6/5/2022

The Dazzling 1980s or “As you were”

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

:information_source: Split from Leaf and Groove

Black eyeliner and a small tail were very 80’s. I did pierce my own ear and put a very Duran Duran feather in it but it annoyed me after a few days so ditched it. Clubbing in flip flops, baggy trousers and tank tops was all the rage. If I tried that now either Greenpeace or the Japanese whaling fleet would have a field day. :tired_face:

starman
23 Feb '17

I once used Pete Burns as a fashion influence.

There. I said it.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Not a bad choice, mine was Tom Bailey from the Thompson Twins!

Simon
23 Feb '17

I’m not entirely sure who my main fashion influence was back in the day, but this is certainly why everyone should take my ‘supercool’ definition with a pinch of salt. I think this was 1990, thereabouts anyway.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

A good head of hair Sir!

Simon
23 Feb '17

I think the hair was modeled on Japan’s David Sylvian (and so was often died blonde at the front), the cheekbones were pure Pete Murphy. The roll-neck was man at C&A. I was a confused kid.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

My 21St, 1985.

Foresthillnick
23 Feb '17

Oh My Living God! I thought I was bad.

starman
23 Feb '17

With a bit of Phil Oakey

starman
23 Feb '17

Do I detect a flash of Bride of Frankenstein?

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

I was plonked on a hairdressers chair by the girlfriends mother and told to sit still. I emerged an hour later with “unusual” hair and colours. If you look closer you can see many, many different and “unusual” colours. :fearful:

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Go on Pauline, lets see your 80’s photos!

Pauline
23 Feb '17

I’ll dig one out later :rofl::rofl::rofl:

AndyS
23 Feb '17

Or shall we leave them out altogether so as not to emotionally scar those who lived through the 80s and are trying to forget them, and those who didn’t live through the 80s and don’t need to be taught its horrors.

Good music, back then, though. Just the looks

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

I had to live through the 70’s as a pre teen, THAT was dreadful. 70’s fashion was dire, really really dire!

AndyS
23 Feb '17

Yeah, that’s true. I won’t even mention the B** C*** R*****s.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Flares, brown, more brown with a but more brown thrown in. Wide lapels, denim, flares, brown. Did I mention brown. And the hair. Dear God, the hair. Shudder.

Foresthillnick
23 Feb '17

Late 80s. I have no explanation.

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

Folks, I think we have a winner

starman
23 Feb '17

Please. I just ate lunch.

starman
23 Feb '17

You say winner. I say loser. :smiling_imp:

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Mind bleach, pass the mind bleach! :scream:

RachaelDunlop
23 Feb '17

Taken in the Sixth Form toilet block.

(If I type 1985 with a full stop after it, it comes out as 1. Some rogue redundant code?)

Simon
23 Feb '17

I have no idea why this photo is so small, or what colour my hair was supposed to be. It was 1989, I was mostly on another planet.

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

Ah, sorry for the annoyance - that’s Markdown being over-zealous.

Any line that begins number, dot, and is followed by text will be converted to a numbered list, even if the numbers don’t start with 1.

To deliberately avoid this you can put a slash before the dot:

1985\. your text here

Renders as:

1985. your text here

Completely obvious, eh? :dizzy_face:

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Scary, I have a photo of my sister looking just like that.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

A photo of me a year and a half before my 21st. A lifetime away.

Paul_R
23 Feb '17

Did you know that the band Japan used to rehearse at Mick Karn’s folks in Elsinore Rd before they moved out of the area?

starman
23 Feb '17

None of you will never see my pictures. EVER.

RachaelDunlop
23 Feb '17

Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze played in Home Park in Sydenham a few years ago as part of the Sydenham Arts Festival and regaled us with stories of the local bands and their shenigans, including Japan.

Michael
23 Feb '17

This is me in the early 1980s during my ‘giant’ phase.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

You know you want to!

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

Don’t tempt an amateur but enthusuastic computer hacker… (only kidding) :imp:

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

You owe me a new keyboard Chris! Water and keyboards dont mix :grin:

Gillipops
23 Feb '17

I love the 80’s - nothing to be ashamed of - at least our photo’s didn’t require us to swing from a wrecking ball butt naked or pout into a selfie with our bits hanging out in order to get some attention.

starman
23 Feb '17

Speak for yourself. Thus my previous statement on the matter.

Pauline
23 Feb '17

Okay here goes with my 80’s pics :rofl::rofl::rofl:

All are early 80’s except the bottom right which is late 80’s doing some kind of performance before I moved to London.

Think I liked a spiky haircut in the early 80’s, though I should have sued the hairdresser :joy::joy::joy:

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

It’s time for that mind bleach again :grin:

MackemJo
23 Feb '17

My favourite Forest Hill fact, as well as the Only Ones being based here!

Foresthillnick
24 Feb '17

I love the Only Ones - nice little article that mentions FH here

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

I’m sure I can find one at home somewhere and post it… if I can be bothered…

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

I am LOVING this thread by the way… it’s what the internet was invented for!!!

anon5422159
24 Feb '17

Please encourage @starman to share. Sharing is caring!

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

There’s a particularly cheesy one on the sideboard at home which I might just have to surreptitiously scan over the weekend…

Foresthillnick
24 Feb '17

I hesitate to ask but what are you doing in this photo @Londondrz? - looks like you are starting some sort of revolution

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

I was in primary school for most of the 80s by the way… so no fun fashion photos of me (un)fortunately.

Londondrz
24 Feb '17

I had had my first beer in three months after our passing out parade. Conscription into the Military Police, fun fun fun :smirk:

anon5422159
24 Feb '17

He may kill you, or he may secretly love the attention!

starman
24 Feb '17

Kill.

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

I suggest that at a future SE23.Life meet up, everyone has to come dressed as they did in their 80s photos (or an approximation thereof).

Londondrz
24 Feb '17

I seriously doubt Ant of those clothes I had on come anywhere near fitting me.

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

Nor would my primary school clothes… but I’m sure I can find something similar to wear (we didn’t have uniforms in primary school… so generic 80s clothes would work perfectly)…

Then again, there are plenty of forum users who weren’t even born in the 80s!

starman
24 Feb '17

We have those “Relax” t-shirts and neon shorts.

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

That’s not the point… need to recreate the photos in this thread in a “Then and Now” stylee…

Londondrz
24 Feb '17

You really don’t want a fat bloke in denim photo!

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

Yes… yes we do!!!

starman
24 Feb '17

The photo you refer to is a 17-year old Jason as Bobby van Husen in the Boyfriend, a musical set in the 1920s. And depicts the outfit Bobby wore to the carnival ball so referencing even another time. So the outfit might not be suitable.

Bolgerp
24 Feb '17

But your hair…

Londondrz
24 Feb '17

Oh, go on, post it up!

Londondrz
24 Feb '17

No you really really don’t. :dizzy_face:

MackemJo
24 Feb '17

Thanks @Foresthillnick…interesting article I hadn’t seen before. New York Dolls reference too!

madmax
31 Mar '17

I’m not sure if my dazzling pics have uploaded. Memories of a misspent student life in Leeds at the ‘Phono’ and The Warehouse. 21st birthday held at Le Phonoqraphique( c’est Chic) November 1981.
And please note Gang of Four poster on the wall of my student bedroom. Just sayin’

anon5422159
31 Mar '17

A cracking candidate for a profile photo, @madmax? Welcome to the forum BTW :thumbsup:

madmax
31 Mar '17

Let’s see if I can organise that Chris. Surprisingly I look nothing like these pics these days.

anon5422159
31 Mar '17

I took the liberty… :wink: you likey?

madmax
31 Mar '17

Yes that’s fine. A remarkable likeness to what I see in the mirror daily!!

SimonMartin
26 Feb '18

Any idea what number in Elsinore Rd?..

MackemJo
26 Feb '18

@SimonMartin I’d love to know too but haven’t been able to find out…