Archived on 6/5/2022

The Sun: £1m four-bed Victorian house would make idyllic family home - but there’s a catch

ForestHull
5 Jan '22

Along with some other properties, The Sun is reporting on a local ‘fixer upper’ 4 bed property recently added to the market for £1m… the catch is that it’s been completely gutted:

The estate agent listing (which may be more interesting) is here:

Cherryblossom
5 Jan '22

The property sold in December 2020 before it was gutted.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-90622748.html

Anotherjohn
5 Jan '22

Sold for £935,000

I hope it finds itself a better buyer this time around

HannahM
6 Jan '22

Cheeky sods. They think ripping out some old fittings and carpet has added £65k in value to the property?

Fran_487
6 Jan '22

Ugh this is so sad. I wonder what the story is – O guess bought to renovate, ran out of cash? That poor house needs real love.

And that Brick Lane one linked in the article is also amazing. I walk past that building all the time and never even think about what’s behind all the fly posters.

starman
6 Jan '22

It’s surprisingly small. I expected a lot more interior floor space from the exterior photo.

Dave
6 Jan '22

I had the same thought. Also, between the first and second listing the number of bedrooms and the square footage have changed. I wonder whether there was an issue with the way the top floor conversion had been done / signed off.

starman
6 Jan '22

Interesting. The older listing had two bedrooms in the top floor with a significant amount of the space noted as eaves storage. Opened as it is, with only the one light source might have negated that floor as “liveable” space. I also saw that the revised floor plan has converted the only family bathroom in the property to another bedroom, presumably to keep the bedroom count up. But as it stands, there is no bathroom in the current listing with only a standalone loo on the ground and first floor.

Kind of feels like the buyer has a greater challenge to get value of the property besides a simple renovation. That said, it looks as if a lot of the original features have been maintained… except of course the fireplaces which has been removed at some time anyways.

JohnH1
6 Jan '22

It looks like the original listing also had a downstairs bathroom in what is now listed as the utility room.

marymck
6 Jan '22

They did have a coupe of planning applications between listings:

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?activeTab=relatedCases&keyVal=_LEWIS_PROPLPI_23385_1

HOPcrossbun
7 Jan '22

Yikes - needs at least around £200k work done to bring it up to standard. There are houses around there asking £1.2 million so I can see why they are asking £1 million, although you should ideally get a good discount for all the associated trauma of doing a renovation, otherwise why not just buy the £1.2 million finished house….

Anotherjohn
8 Jan '22

My feeling is that £200k could even be a bit optimistic with this one so wouldn’t be surprised if they need to drop at least £50k again to get it sold.