Archived on 6/5/2022

Tips for getting an Uber from New Cross Gate

HOPcrossbun
26 Jun '18

When using the night overground (or at rush hour when the service decides to kick everyone off the train), does anyone have any tips on good, and safe, locations to call and wait for an Uber near the entrance to NXG station?

There is a huge road barrier directly in front of the station, and I’m reluctant to go venturing up unknown side streets/ estates at 2am.

Thanks in advance

ambient
26 Jun '18

Jerningham Road is generally safe, opposite the 343 terminal stop. Also has the benefit of shortening your journey - driver can cut through to Brockley without messing around with the busy A2 and it’s one way system.

HannahM
26 Jun '18

A little further down the road there is a bus garage and bus stops - there are a good number of night buses that stop there so it is always pretty busy.

Or perhaps by the Sainsbury’s garage if that is open late?

Fagin
26 Jun '18

Why not experience the New Cross Vibe New Cross Inn the best bar in Sarf East London for live music excellent choice of beers spirits shots you can even book a table.if that’s your thing. forget umber use Lewisham cars like ubber but cash only.

Sgc
26 Jun '18

Agree on Jerningham road. It is diagonal to the right across road from station. Worked well for me yesterday evening. Lots of people use that road so also good for uber pool pick ups. I had a couple of drivers cancel on me then switched to uber pool and had driver within 5 mins and 2 other people hopped in as well. Luckily I was first drop off.

Baboonery
28 Jun '18

Another vote for Jerningham Road here - the corner there is always busy as the bus depot is so close by, and you get to cut down and emerge by the Telegraph Hill roundabout.

Incidentally, this is my favourite ‘driving home from town’ trick - rather than go through Peckham or Nunhead, or do what minicabs do and pull a naughty U-turn on New Cross Road and up Pepys Road, I carry on and turn into Sainsbury’s, then turn right out of Sainsbury’s and up Jerningham Road.

HOPcrossbun
28 Jun '18

Thanks all - will give Jerningham Road a go tonight :slight_smile: