Archived on 6/5/2022

Tips on selling my car

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

My car has currently been on sale on-line (Autotrader and eBay), but so far I’m having no joy as everyone assumes it’s an old banger, but in actual fact has just been serviced by Rodney Garages and is in tip-top condition.

Am I going about this all wrong?

Londondrz
3 Oct '17

Have you looked at how much similar cars are going on those sites? Does it compare in price? Have you given it a really good clean and do you have great photos of it and all supporting paperwork i.e. service handbook, MOT’s etc.

Have you thought of one of those supermarket ads you can post on the noticeboard in the local supermarkets?

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

Had it valeted and took some great pictures in the morning sunshine, but hasn’t helped - I even paid for the slightly more expensive Autotrader ad to allow more photos, but no joy. In terms of price, its about on point (c. £1k) for a car of a similar age.

Not really overly keen on supermarket noticeboards as I never look at them and I can’t see why anyone else would in the 21st century.

Londondrz
3 Oct '17

You may be surprised by it, they cost nothing so you have little to lose.

RachaelDunlop
3 Oct '17

How long have you had it on Autotrader? Sometimes it just takes a while for the right buyer to match up with what you’re selling. It took me a month to sell a car via Autotrader, and it was a fairly desireable car. It needs someone in your area or willing to travel, looking for what you are selling when you are selling it.

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

It’s been on for a month already. I had one vaguely sensible enquiry, but the rest have all been timewasters.

RachaelDunlop
3 Oct '17

It is frustrating. And then all of a sudden you have a buyer and job done…

Is there something specific about your car that you think might be putting people off? Or a specific type of buyer it might appeal to? If you’re in a hurry you can take a small hit on the price and go with We Buy Any Car. You might need to balance out their lower price with continued depreciation as you wait to sell through Autotrader and pay advertising fees.

Londondrz
3 Oct '17

The other option, which would only work if you are looking to buy another, is to use the scrappage scheme on offer through most main dealers.

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

Only if they’ll do it for a motorcycle - not seen any sign of that yet!

Londondrz
3 Oct '17

Ah! Yes that is an interesting one. I suppose asking will get you a “no” but you may be surprised.

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

Fortunately, it’s not really expensive enough to worry about depreciation, but I do find its continued presence in the car park frustrating (particularly as the weather changes and my bicycle seems suddenly less appealing).

starman
3 Oct '17

I gather car sales in general have gone down in the last few months. Could be symptomatic of the times rather than your offering. As Rachael suggested it might just take a bit longer.

ThorNogson
3 Oct '17

Last time I sold a car I found a buyer by advertising on Gumtree. May be worth a try.

HonorOakBloke
3 Oct '17

If you are prepared to take a small hit on the asking price (…and can get past their awful adverts) webuyanycar.com is an option. Used them myself recently to shift my old diesel monster, and I was pretty happy with the result. And like they say, the do take the hassle out of trying to sell privately.

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

Yeah, a bit short of my target…

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

Meanwhile, on the more optimistic end of the spectrum…

anon5422159
3 Oct '17

When my Dad sold his BMW I was astonished at the depreciation - I think the problem is that servicing remains expensive, and you need more of it. So the TCO of the car becomes prohibitive.

RachaelDunlop
3 Oct '17

Am I reading this right? They are offering you £50 for a car you’re selling for £5,850? Either there is something seriously amiss with their algorithm or they know they wouldn’t be able to flog it on.

I’m with Chris - there comes a point with a Beamer where servicing it becomes a liability and the price drops off a cliff edge. Unless it’s a newer one where service intervals depend on usage not the calendar. My last one only needed serviced every 18-24 months instead of yearly. We spent MUCH more servicing our much-hated Volvo, but it held it’s value better.

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

I’m selling for a more reperesentative £900 - the £5,850 car is a bit of an outlier in terms of price…

RachaelDunlop
3 Oct '17

Ah, gotcha!

Foresthillnick
3 Oct '17

Not up on car prices but that seems like a fair price.
I think the issue is that the 2nd hand car market has been totally flooded due to cheap financing for new cars. Although there is evidence that this is turning around to some extent now…

Londondrz
3 Oct '17

That’s a lot of car for £900.

Timmo44
5 Oct '17

Find a BMW forum and stick it up there where enthusiasts will see it. At that price with a years MOT you should get shot fairly quickly.

Moto_Hodder
24 Oct '17

Wasted more time on Autotrader and eventually went back to eBay where I got a thoroughly unreasonable £500 for it. It would probably have been better off in a real auction.

I hate eBay.

Londondrz
24 Oct '17

That is really sad. If Mrsldrz was not as formidable as she is I would have bought it.

Foresthillnick
25 Oct '17

That was a lot of car for £500. I think my Saab must be worth about £2.50 now.