Tram Crashes into Church, Stanstead Rd (1930s?)

history
stanstead-rd

I saw these astonishing photos in a gallery of Forest Hill covering 1900-1963:

Would be fascinating to know more about this incident - the year, the background and route of the tram system, the safety record (!) etc.

Oh wow. That’s at the end of my road.

I found this site for tram fans. http://www.tundria.com/trams/GBR/London-1940.shtml#Routes

There is a route 66 Victoria Station – Vauxhall Bridge – Vauxhall – Kennington – Camberwell – Peckham – New Cross – Brockley – Forest Hill

Also a route 58 Victoria Station – Vauxhall Bridge – Vauxhall – Kennington – Camberwell – Dulwich – Forest Hill – Catford – Lewisham – Greenwich – Blackwall Tunnel

At a guess the 185 bus replaced these 2 trams. I went to school in Victoria and seem to recall the 185 went beyond Lewisham down to Blackwall.

I’d guess 1930s?

you can see the 66 at the front of the tram.

From other pictures of the erasure that part of Stansted Road also had a thriving high street with a variety of shops.

Looks like the tram didn’t quite hit the church.

Yes, the 185 is the Tram replacement service for the 58.

Route 176 is the tram replacement service for the 62 which ran from Victoria Embankment to Forest Hill (and extended to the Blackwall Tunnel during the peaks).

Not strictly related, and I am sure there are some at the Transport Museum, but by coincidence we saw this London Tram at a museum nr the peak district last week, the #67 route, probably similar period. It’s funny how trams have become fashionable again in many cities, it is a shame the tracks on the routes linked above in this locality

have all gone now!

For interest, another tram pic. This is Lordship Lane, on the right is a Horniman museum gate, behind is the old railway bridge over Lordship Lane, part of the Crystal Palace High Level railway. The embankment for this bridge is still there, in the Horniman nature path. The building on the left is the Lordship Lane station, entramnce at ground level, climb stairs to the platforms. The line continued on its gentle gradient up the hill into what is now Sydenham Hill Woods.