Archived on 6/5/2022

Transport suggestions for Blackheath fireworks tomorrow night?

jrothlis
2 Nov '18

Hi folks, every year the family and I go to Blackheath to see the fireworks, and it’s really convenient because my brother lives very near by, so we normally drive early to his place, have dinner, stroll out to watch the fireworks, stroll back to my brother’s place, have a nice cup of tea, and eventually drive home. This year he’s not around, so I’m wondering what the options are? Was thinking drive to Nunhead, train to Blackheath station, and the reverse to come home. There are only trains every half hour, so wondering if the trains will be rammed on the way home and would therefore end up waiting 2+ hours for the crowds to dissipate? Any suggestions?

Sgc
2 Nov '18

Depends where you live in Forest Hill but 202 goes from Crystal palace down Kirkdale to Blackheath if you are on that side of Forest Hill/Sydenham.
Alternatively 122 which goes through forest hill takes you within 10 mins walk from Blackheath. Get off at Dacre Park then 8/10 min walk to station. From there then on to park. Did this walk all the way into Greenwich couple of weekends ago when weather was lovely.
As you can tell I always like busses as an alternative!

jrothlis
2 Nov '18

Wouldn’t buses have the same problems as cars? It’s pretty nuts around there during/after the fireworks!

Sgc
2 Nov '18

Very true. Missed gist of your message as speed read so thought you were just looking at public transport options (driving to Nunhead certainly makes train journey easier, I don’t have that luxury). However busses more frequent than trains and 122 not directly in Blackheath. Alternatively book dinner at Blanco beforehand then at least avoid the crush upon arrival :slight_smile: Previously have run down the hill into Greenwich afterwards to get a table at Greenwich Union or Richard I ahead of the crowds. That does require strategic standing to watch fireworks though.

Foresthillnick
3 Nov '18

I normally just walk there.
Last year we walked and a mate got the bus - she missed everything as the 202 service effectively came to a standstill. If you get the bus - get an early one.

ThorNogson
3 Nov '18

depends where you are starting from, but we have often started from Catford - then catch a train to Lewisham and walk up the hill - walk is about 20 min. Reverse process when leaving, catch a train back to Catford, and that gets you out of the car and bus traffic in Lewisham which is usually stationary.

Billie
3 Nov '18

You coukd get the P4 to Lewisham station and walk up as suggested above.

jrothlis
3 Nov '18

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think walking it is!

Billie
3 Nov '18

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/events/fireworks/Pages/Blackheath-Fireworks-information.aspx This gives you a map and TfL links.

system
2 Jan '19

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.