Archived on 6/5/2022

Two questions about Lewisham

AndyS
6 Nov '16

Two quick (and entirely unrelated) questions about Lewisham.

(1) Where oh where can one drop off passengers for the Lewisham DLR without them having to walk a great distance? The station approach road is buses, taxis and bikes only. The nearest safe and legal space seems to be the car park at Carpetright! (I’ve asked TfL: they said it was Lewisham’s problem. Lewisham has yet to reply.)

(2) Couldn’t help but notice that the Tesco Express on Lewisham High Street, underneath the very new block of flats directly opposite the abandoned snooker hall, seems to have closed. I was driving and couldn’t read the sign explaining why. Am not affected by the closure or lamenting it - just curious why a very new branch should close so soon.

Brett
6 Nov '16

Re question 1: it’s hard to keep up with Lewisham Gateway development but isn’t the dropoff on Station Road?

Aside to @admins: Tried uploading picture from street view, via photo library, but it got stuck on uploading 100% (iPhone iOS 10)

AndyS
6 Nov '16

Well, you’d think so, but that’s the road that’s buses, taxis and bikes only.

anon5422159
6 Nov '16

Thanks for reporting the problem, @Brett. I’ll get onto it soon but will be away from laptop for a few days (climbing Mount Kinabalu!)

Brett
6 Nov '16

@anon5422159 No rush, enjoy!

@AndyS am surprised at this. I thought the plan was for a drop off along there (as opposed to parking). Feel sure that this must be the case for disabled access at least so that makes the road restriction confusing. The photo I had hoped to post shows a gap in the double red lines but that is no use if you can’t even access the road.

Freddy
19 Dec '16

Just been to Lewisham at 04.50 to drop off a visitor to start their journey to Gatwick with heavy luggage in tow. The Lewisham Road end entrance to Station Road says Taxis, Buses and Cyclists only. Drove round to the other end of the station approach road by the DLR and that’s totally No Entry. Unfamiliar with the roads and stopped in a bus stop to drop my friend off who had to cross the main road and walk up the slope to the station with heavy luggage. Felt obliged to apologise for the inconvenience of this piece of public transport infrastructure. Why does this situation have to be so non-user friendly? Is this temporary or permanent? Does ‘taxis’ include only black ones or also Uber and minicabs? The idea that a person can de dropped at the station if they are paying to be driven there, but can’t be taken there by a friend trying to help them is rather ridiculous. No visible signage that there are exceptions for people with disabilities.

Londondrz
19 Dec '16

I would say from personal experience that the road layout there has changed so much since the work started that a temporary stop would have been moved many many times. That whole area is a bit of a nightmare. Hopefully once they finish they will include a drop off point.