Archived on 6/5/2022

Urgently needed: simple to use pay-as-u-go mobile for my mum

Gillipops
15 Feb '17

Hi - my mum has lost her mobile phone (and hence, her SIM with her old phone number on it). She is going into hospital for a major op and will be in some time but desperately needs a mobile phone so that she/I can keep in touch (plus she’s also dealing with her partners funeral… probably whilst in hospital) so she needs contact!. I’ve got an old Blackberry I can lend her, but I’m not sure I can get a pay as you go SIM card for it. She’s not at all technical and doesn’t want complicated smart phones or contracts/deals - just your very basic ‘call in/out and text’ phone that you plonk £10 on it’s card and it allows you to make calls and texts. Can anyone advise? help? anyone have an old phone they don’t need? Something that is REALLY simple to get up-and-running easily and quickly?..

Many thanks

Londondrz
15 Feb '17

I cant help but I know Tesco are doing a Nokia for £15.

anon5422159
15 Feb '17

I have an old Android phone (Samsung Galaxy) that you’re welcome to have, and to keep.

As luck would have it, I also have a spare Three Mobile SIM with 600 mins calls and unlimited data.

Only catch: the contract on this SIM runs out on 9th March (I used it temporarily while travelling, and gave notice to cancel it when I got back to the UK).

Is this any good for your mum? If so I can meet you tomorrow to hand it over.

Gillipops
15 Feb '17

Hi Chris - my computer still insists on binning your emails every time in ‘junk’… ha ha - do you think ‘Nextdoor’ have hacked my computer!

Your phone sounds perfect, as it’s already up and running and at least she’ll be able to use it for a month. Then maybe, when the contract runs out, I can buy her another SIM card (although I guess she’ll then lose that phone number), but one that is contract free…?

anon5422159
15 Feb '17

Great! Will respond by PM to sort out the details

NYLON
15 Feb '17

Well Nokia are going to relaunch their much loved 90s phone Nokia 3310 next month (think snake 2 and battery life that lasted the week) - not a smartphone but one that just works.

Pauline
15 Feb '17

Pretty sure I have a pay as you go “Three phone SIM card” which I got for free as part of my really cheap monthly walk on legs contract (can’t remember the name of the device) wifi that I use for the shop.

I’ll have a look tomorrow and PM you @Gillipops It sounds like it might be compatible with @anon5422159 phone if that was “Three” too…

Gillipops
15 Feb '17

Brill! Thanx

AndyS
15 Feb '17

A few months ago I got a very basic phone/text machine (ie not a smartphone) down at Carphone Warehouse in Currys/PC World down at Sydenham Bell Green (beside the big Sainsbury’s). Got it for my daughter to use on a big night out. I was working on the assumption that she’d use her smartphone so much she’d kill the battery and then not be able to phone Dad’s Taxi. £15, maybe. Possibly £20 tops. No frills. Just phone and text, pay as you go, and the cost included a bit of credit too. Can’t remember the brand but the staff fixed me up with what I needed.

Gillipops
16 Feb '17

Thanks Andy - I think I’m sorted for now…but hey, it’s really useful to know for the future that there is a Car Phone Warehouse at Bell Green - I had no idea…saves a trip into Lewisham!

ForestHillFrank
16 Feb '17

Hi Gillipops and Chris, I used to have one of those Samsungs before I lost it and I really liked it - any chance I could take it once you are finished with it? I’ll swap for an unused Nokia 100 which is easy to use and might be suitable for your mum if you still need a phone.
Thanks!

valw53
16 Feb '17

I can’t remember the brand name, but most phone shops offer a senior-friendly basic phone that isn’t expensive.

Gillipops
16 Feb '17

Hi Frank - I’ll see how my mum get’s on with the Samsung…she may grow to love it. But if not, I’ll let you know and we can do a swap!

ForestHillFrank
16 Feb '17

Fantastic - I will keep my fingers crossed :slight_smile: