Archived on 6/5/2022

Valentine Court Noisy Neighbours

tired
25 Dec '20

For ages now, I have constantly had to put up with loud noises from my neighbours. (Very) loud talking…it’s honestly more like shouting, loud repetitive music, constant (and sometimes purposeful) banging - it’s absolutely unbearable. They have zero consideration for those that live around them. It also sounds like there’s 10 people living in one flat…

I’m a part time MA student and I am also working (wfh) a full time job. I’ve reported them to Lewisham council, yet nothing has really happened.

Is there anyone who lives in block 40-60 who knows what (who) I’m talking about? I cannot be the only one who hears this

robertjroy
25 Dec '20

Firstly, Merry Christmas! I’m really sorry to hear you’re struggling with your neighbours. I’ve had similar experiences which are generally resolved now, and I’m sure I can help you tackle this. It’s always a shame when a few people cause issues in what is generally a lovely estate.

If you haven’t already spoken to your neighbour directly - that’s a good place to start just to let them know how the noise they make is impacting you. If that doesn’t help, you’ll need to speak to Lewisham Homes directly as they are the landlord and have powers to take action. Our housing officer is Fabio and he can be contacted via email at Fabio.Rumney@lewishamhomes.org.uk (copy in ASB@lewishamhomes.org.uk). He is really good and will help you as best as he can. They will provide you with a case reference number and take this forward, although you will periodically need to push them on it.

It’s worth noting that there is currently a court order affecting the entire estate which Lewisham Homes secured after the street parties earlier in the year (Noise from Valentine Court). You may have seen this order plastered on the communal doors - which means the Police also have additional powers to take action until late next year. Lewisham Homes have also implemented an App imaginatively called The Noise App which I recommend you download and start using to record what is happening.

I’d also recommend you join the Valentine Court Residents group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/valentinecourt/) if you have it, which I run. It’s a good place to share your concerns with other residents and help us improve the estate, resolve problems, build our community and to foster good relations between residents, Lewisham Homes and the wider community.

Jo1234
25 Dec '20

I used live within a block of flat like that and it was awful. I totally understand how you feel. I am not able to offer any solution , even council was relatively helpful that time, since then Lewisham Environmental health getting worse than that time. I needed to move away that environment because, it was not just one but several offenders to make such a loud noise in that small block of flats there is no way I can get quiet environment ( 4 out of 9 flats had a very loud noise issues whener they like to make noise.). I talked to neighbours directly but there was no change what so ever. They just do not care of others. So please do not blame yourself for that about talking neighbours did not work. Sometimes, it would not work at all. They live totally different world. They might not need to work ( but we do) so they do not need to sleep at normal hours at night, but if you got a child with school age as well as if you work office hours, you need to sleep normal hours.

tired
25 Dec '20

Thank you so much Robert, this was very helpful! Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

tired
25 Dec '20

You’re right, they just live completely different lives and just do not care about those around them. Last night, they were making so much noise until 8am (yes, 8am).

I’m glad you were able to move away!

Thewrongtrousers
26 Dec '20

And to add insult to injury, you probably pay their rent through your taxes !

DevonishForester
30 Dec '20

Some boroughs have noise patrols that operate at night. I don’t think enforcement is possible without that, except in a tiny number of cases where victims are willing and able to devote their lives to compiling evidence and putting it on a plate for the 9 - 5 environmental health officers.

robertjroy
30 Dec '20

It’s worth noting that Lewisham Homes run weekend patrols on Friday and Saturday nights on their estates, as well as offer an out of hours witnessing service on those days. These are run by an external company but have been essential in allowing Lewisham Homes to secure injunctions.

It’s a shame Lewisham Council don’t run a similar service generally in the borough.

DevonishForester
30 Dec '20

Wow! Private security for social housing!