Archived on 6/5/2022

Victorian bay window restoration recommendations

Rob
7 Mar '21

We need to get some repair work done to our Victorian bay window as the paint starts flaking and the stone has started to break off in clumps.

Has anyone used anyone locally or recommend anyone?

wattsicle
10 Mar '21

We need to do the same so hopping on to hear of recommendations too

Rob
10 Mar '21

We’ve reached out to London stone masonry (https://londonstonemasonry.co.uk/) to get the ball rolling and get some ideas on costs, will keep you posted

wattsicle
11 Mar '21

Great, thank you.

Stuartf
11 Mar '21

For what it’s worth, I have had a look at whether I could have a go at my window sills myself as I’m having the same problem… please do critique my thinking… however I found a couple of builder forums that simply talk about 1. stripping the paint with a solution or steamer, and 2. making good the window sill using masonry filler like this using some timber with clingfilm. Worst case, I’ll pay a builder to fix. Maybe somebody in the forum has done the DIY route and can comment?

ForestHull
11 Mar '21

Sounds like a good plan and what I’d do for a small bit of work. As you say, you can always get someone to fix later if it all goes wrong.

Depending on the wood that might leave a woodgrain effect. Something like a bit of old laminated MDF from a kitchen cabinet door or carcass might be smoother if you don’t want to spend too much time trying to smooth it afterwards, but sounds like a good approach.