Archived on 6/5/2022

Virgin Fibre broadband in Forest Hill

David_Graham
29 Apr '17

Hi all. I live on the quiet bit of stanstead road near the CO-OP. I have just found out that dispite living in one of the largest cities in the world i am not able to have fibre broadband through the openreach infrastructure. :angry::sob: Rant over.
The only option left to me is to use Virgin. I have read a lot of bad stuff about them on this forum and wondered if anyone had anything good to say?
I was thinking of signing up to the vivid 200 gamer package as it says it has no traffic management. I hope this would prevent the unreliable speeds i keep reading about. Does anyone have any experience of this package?
Many thanks
David.

RachaelDunlop
29 Apr '17

As far as I remember from when I was with Virgin, problems arise if you are connected to an oversubscribed junction box, rather than traffic management being the issue. Virgin won’t tell you before you sign up whether this is going to be an issue for you. I think the only way to know is to find a near neighbour with Virgin and ask them what their speeds are like.

When it works, Virgin broadband is great. It’s just there is no way of knowing until you have it if it will work or not.

starman
29 Apr '17

Sunderland Rd here. We have it and it works really well.

silversioux3
30 Apr '17

I have had Virgin for 7 years now and never had any problems at all I am up by the Library

justdrdave
30 Apr '17

We are also on the quiet part of Stanstead and have Virgin broadband. No problems most of the time, but they have a habit of disconnecting us at the cabinet every time they add someone new in the street.

wineisallforme
2 May '17

Can you get any kind of fibre optic near the CO-OP? We’re down on Perry Vale and it’s not available at all round here! Terrible Talk Talk connection, intermittent and slower than when I connect to my phone via a personal hotspot!

Bolgerp
2 May '17

I find this really strange. The BT exchange is next door to the CoOp. I’m on Sunderland Road and BT are quoting me online 315MB download speeds via Fibre. I assume this is because of the proximity to the Exchange (perhaps not).

AndyS
2 May '17

We get 200MB BT fibre to the wall. And it’s a real 200MB, not a marketing 200MB.

wineisallforme
4 May '17

Desperately want to get some sweet fibre optic action. Can’t believe how close the exchange is and we’re not connected down this way. I called BT and the chap on the phone said that it’s coming by the end of this year

GillB
5 May '17

We have fibre optic fitted by BT. Our phone is fibre optic as well ( although we had no choice with that). Our next door neighbour hasn’t though & he can’t seem to get to the bottom of why he can’t have it installed. Ge has recently had a new outside line fitted though. I think the reason we have fibre optic is because we complained to BT so much about our broadband speed & buffering all the time. We did have to fight & get the ombudsman involved (who was useless) to get an up-to-date hub. So I think it’s a case of keep badgering them to get what you want!

wineisallforme
5 May '17

Interesting. I’m very good at moaning. However it means signing up to them first!

GillB
5 May '17

Sorry I thought you were with BT! My misunderstanding.:wink: