Archived on 6/5/2022

Virgin Media broadband issues

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

Is any one else having intermittent issues with Virgin Media broadband going down and then coming back online 10 to 15 mins later?

It happened to me yesterday (24/06/2020) at 10:20am and today at 9:35am.

Thanks

chamonix
25 Jun '20

Yep just went down

Their status page is also down.

starman
25 Jun '20

Same on Sunderland Rd

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

Ironically the Virgin Media Service Status page is not working…

Moto_Hodder
25 Jun '20

Yep, same here.

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

People on twitter are reporting the same:
https://twitter.com/search?q=virgin%20media%20broadband%20status&f=live

starman
25 Jun '20

Friend in Clapham South is having the same issue.

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

Downdector is picking up on the outage:
https://downdetector.co.uk/status/virgin-media/london/

And so is The Sun:

Moto_Hodder
25 Jun '20

My colleagues also reporting the same across London.

clausy
25 Jun '20

14 posts were split to a new topic: 5G - will it replace your landline/cable internet when it comes to town?

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

Vigin Media is now showing their service status page:

Please don’t forget to register for a loss of service if you are impacted as you may get some compentsation (red button to the side of the service status page)

Fish
25 Jun '20

Mine’s down too. Colfe Road.
Is sky any good? I’ve had enough of Virgin

Bolgerp
25 Jun '20

Estimated fix is 14.00… pub anyone?? Oh…

clausy
25 Jun '20

I don’t need cable for TV, I just use BT for broadband (we have FTTC) and it’s generally been super reliable and stable. I have unto 3 kids in the house and they stream several GB of data a month, and I still manage to get Neflix 4k so 70ish Mbps seems good enough. I will move to 5G whenever I can though.

Bolgerp
25 Jun '20

I have to say, I am generally quite happy with Virgin. Their cable TV is okay, Sky’s offering is better but we went with Virgin initially because it was already cabled to the house when we bought it and it had by far the best speeds available for our area (still does). The internet is usually excellent, apart from the very odd problem (like now). I do know that not everyone has a similar experience with their internet…

anon5422159
25 Jun '20

I was on Virgin at my last address, and since I moved recently I’ve been on BT. The installation and initial service was so bad from BT that I sought (and won) compensation. Conversely, Virgin were excellent.

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

Only Virgin Media can offer the higher speeds (above 70Mbps), until Open Reach makes improvements to fibre to support speeds up to 150Mbps and maybe 300Mbps in the area for all suppliers. i.e. https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/ultrafast-broadband/

For some strange reason only standard broadband (17mbps) runs up my road not fibre.So my only alternative is cable via VIrgin Media for anything faster.

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

I have internet agian!

Bolgerp
25 Jun '20

Internet back up here in Sunderland Road.

appletree
25 Jun '20

Fixed now here.

clausy
25 Jun '20

looks like they got it back online 15 mins ahead of schedule :slight_smile:

Bolgerp
25 Jun '20

Spoke too soon… it’s gone off again…

starman
25 Jun '20

Temporarily. At least I have an excuse to read documents in the garden.

NorthernMatt
25 Jun '20

I spoke too soon. I’ve lost connection again