Archived on 6/5/2022

Walk from the train station - is it safe?

FH2017
27 Mar '17

Looking to move to the FH area east of the tracks around Kilmorie, Cranston, Como Rd etc and wondered how safe the walk from the station on an evening felt?

Wynell
27 Mar '17

No problems, I am sure wherever you are in the UK there will always be bad elements but in 4 years have never felt unsafe.

Londondrz
27 Mar '17

All well lit wide roads with plenty of people around.

Katie
27 Mar '17

I hate to be negative but don’t be falsely reassured by ‘plenty of people around.’ I was mugged (and bitten on the arm) a few years ago at 6.30pm and many people just walked past. Perhaps they didn’t realise what was happening.
Having said that, I don’t feel unsafe in Forest Hill - these things can (and do) happen anywhere.

Foresthillnick
27 Mar '17

Cranston Road resident here. My wife walks back from FH station daily - sometimes late - and had never had any issues in the 19 years we have lived here and we both feel perfectly safe in and around FH.

FH2017
27 Mar '17

Thanks for the feedback. How busy (or not) is Cranston Rd in relation to through traffic?

Foresthillnick
27 Mar '17

Cranston is busier than Kilmorie and Como - due to traffic coming down Brockley Rise and through to Bell Green and beyond. There is no denying that it is a bit annoying at times but it really is not that bad. In rush hour it can back up at both ends of the road but generally you just get a spurt of traffic every few mins when the traffic lights change at the top of the road. Having a decent sized front garden mitigates some of the nuisance and I must say I have got used to it now. Having said that, if I had the choice, I would go for Kilmorie. However I think prices are slightly higher there - or at least they were when we bought.

Gillipops
27 Mar '17

I have never felt afraid around here.

Mr_Robin_Banks
27 Mar '17

Completly safe mate

Baboonery
28 Mar '17

Another Cranston Road resident here, and would echo what Foresthillnick says. Very happy with the 5+ years I’ve been here.

comoed
28 Mar '17

I’m on Como and not had any problems for the 6 years here. I actually think things are getting safer too - though of course there is still crime. We are in SE London after all.

Pauline
28 Mar '17

Never had any problems no matter what time of day or night it is, I’m a 5’2 female and feel very safe anywhere in FH at anytime.

Stephen
7 Apr '17

Besides a large front garden, being higher up away from the road helps, as well as decent double glazing. We hardly hear any traffic from the road at the front of our house, which does benefit from all those things. The school traffic would put me off Kilmorie more than the traffic on Cranston, and the properties on there are a bit smaller and tend to have smaller rear gardens. Having a bit of passing traffic rather than being totally dead does make it feel a little safer to me as there’s less likelihood of opportunist muggers - too much risk of someone passing seeing them. May be a little biased but I’d highly recommend the road :smiley:

BigAl
21 Feb '18

Yes. But there’s normally an idiot trying to run you over as you cross the road. Speeding is an issue around here. And like anywhere in London stay alert and know when to cross the road - particularly at night.

LeeHC
22 Feb '18

Six years here and no problems walking around FH and through the cut towards Trilby Road etc at all times of day and night.

Tom_Love
22 Feb '18

Very safe, at all hours. We’re on Elsinore Rd and me and my GF have never had any problems

anon30031319
22 Feb '18

It’s good to see so many still confident with using the path.

Alisa
24 Feb '18

Hi FH2017, My husband and I actually walk to and from Honor Oak station rather than Forest Hill - we are just beyond Kilmorie. There seems to be an even divide of people on our street who go to HOP and those that go to Forest Hill stations. We think the station and walk to HOP is nicer. There are also just the right amenities on your way home at night coming that way - i.e. small Sainsbury’s or somewhere you end up stopping in such as Mamma Dough (best pizza ever - fact!) or Grounds & Grapes (bar).

Hollow
24 Feb '18

Yes. You get the odd isolated incident (or a few instances in a very short time period before they move area) which happens anywhere in London.