Archived on 6/5/2022

Wall art in Forest Hill

andrea
16 Jun '16

Love the new mural on the job centre wall! Hope the Paddy Power wall will follow suit, hopefully without touching “the telephone”…

RachaelDunlop
16 Jun '16

Very nice, but does that mean we’ve lost our pseudo-Banksie telephone? Or is that another wall?

andrea
16 Jun '16

No the telephone is still there, this is another wall, the one more uphill.

anon64893700
16 Jun '16

Nice to see a splash of colour. :slight_smile:
I was in Shorditch the other evening, and have to say there is wall art on every corner now. Really changes the feeling of an area.

RachaelDunlop
16 Jun '16

That’s good, I’m very fond of that telephone! Does anyone know who did it?

Pauline
16 Jun '16

Haha Andrea, I just went over & took a pic too :joy::joy:

Pauline
16 Jun '16

This is part of the street art for @HornimanMuseum Brazillian festival coming up until September :+1:

hareandgoose
16 Jun '16

Oooh I do love a bit of street art.

thirstforwine
16 Jun '16

Wonder what it is mean to represent?

“The siren-call of #brexit hides a storm that threatens to sink house prices”?

:joy:

anon5422159
16 Jun '16

Should rephrase to “promises to sink house prices” - not a threat but a benefit, in my opinion! (off-topic ranting over, I promise!)

thirstforwine
16 Jun '16

Ah, but that’s the thing with sirens, they were beautiful yet dangerous creatures, who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices, only to have them shipwreck. :wink:

HornimanMuseum
16 Jun '16

Hi all,

So glad you like Derlon’s street art! Derlon is a Brazilian Street Artist and his work is quite incredible. This painting is a mermaid holding the sun… feel free to interpret that how you want!

Pauline is right, it is to celebrate our Festival of Brasil this summer. There will be more Brazilian Street Art going up over the next few weeks around Forest Hill and at the Museum - you can read all about it (and download the map to find the rest of the artworks) here: http://bit.ly/BrasilStreetArt

Enjoy!

anon64893700
16 Jun '16

Thanks for the info @HornimanMuseum
Looking forwards to seeing more of this :slight_smile:

anon5422159
16 Jun '16

Great to have your input @HornimanMuseum. Like @anon64893700, I hope to hear more from you around the forum.

HornimanMuseum
30 Jun '16

Hi all,

Just to let you know - there will be more Street Art happening over the next week.

This Sunday - 3 July - we have artists at the Museum for our Festa Julina event. They will also be painting at the Museum on Tuesday 5 July. Then they will be painting around Forest Hill on the 6 and 7 of July.

Make sure you keep an eye out for them, say ‘Hi’, take pictures and enjoy the artwork!

HornimanMuseum
5 Jul '16

It’s all kicking off here at the Museum. Remember to look out for more Street Art around Forest Hill this week!

anon5422159
6 Jul '16

New in Forest Hill today!

Pauline
6 Jul '16

So glad this wall has been brightened up as it was a bit of an eyesore before :slight_smile:

Cheers for this @HornimanMuseum :ok_hand::ok_hand:

Michael
8 Jul '16

The street piano in Forest Hill has now been painted and the mural at William Hill is finished:

See more at:

RachaelDunlop
8 Jul '16

The piano looks amazing - I love how the design puddles down onto the ground.

Londondrz
8 Jul '16

They look fantastic, really makes FH stand out.

Pauline
8 Jul '16

I absolutely LOVE the piano :two_hearts::two_hearts:

HornimanMuseum
8 Jul '16

So glad you like the Street Art. I will feed this back to the organisers and artists.

Thanks!

Moto_Hodder
11 Jul '16

Eu gostei!

weepy
13 Aug '16

We really need some wall art here :

weepy
13 Aug '16

You can see that someone’s already made a start with the “Banksy” telephone!

Pauline
13 Aug '16

Totally agree with you, it’s a real eyesore!

But we can’t get rid of the Banksy phone @RachaelDunlop really likes it & I agree it is pretty cool :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
13 Aug '16

Anyone touches our faux Banksy, they’ll have me to answer to.

weepy
13 Aug '16

it should totally be incorporated into something spectacular …

Pauline
13 Aug '16

We need to find out who done the Banksy phone & ask them to do the whole wall, incorporating it of course!

Does anyone know who done this?

I can email a few street artist to ask if anyone knows, but other than that I don’t have a clue who done this :thinking:

Herbert
14 Aug '16

I’ve noticed the look of other areas locally really improve with street and shutter art.

Is there any way we as a community could make this happen. The wall next Paddy Power is particularly bad. More shutter art would also be great for the area. Maybe FHS?

It’s all a relatively easy low cost way of improving the area.

Pauline
14 Aug '16

Ah that just reminds me I need to send a traders email about an initiative FH Soc are willing to put in place for more shutter art :slight_smile:

Ed
14 Aug '16

I could see if any fellow Havelock Walkers fancy taking this on?

weepy
8 Dec '16

Shutter art would be amazing.

Here’s a few other places that are screaming for some art

weepy
28 Dec '16

Did anything happen re: FoSo initiative for shutter art ?

Beige
26 Apr '17

I noticed what I think might be a Nathan Bowen painted here.

Does anyone know how long it’s been there? I think it’s probably best viewed from outside the Capitol.