Archived on 6/5/2022

Wanted: Laptop to borrow

PaulL
27 Feb '19

Hi all, my partner works in a school and one of her sixth form pupils is struggling to finish his coursework as he has no computer at home, he’s a really good kid but his mum has been seriously ill and can’t afford one. The school are a nightmare to get anything organised. Any chance someone has and old one knocking around they can donate or lend for a couple of months? Just needed for internet, word and PowerPoint so does not need to be high spec. Thanks

Sgc
27 Feb '19

Hello,

Afraid I dont have a working laptop myself however computers are available at the library for free. The limit is 3 hours. As open till 7.30 during week and 9-5 Sat, 10-4 Sun should hopefully give time after school. Would need to join library if not already a member but again that is free.

PaulL
27 Feb '19

Thanks, unfortunately his family situation makes it difficult from him to be away from home outside of school, he’s a really good kid and and the family are struggling, it’s shameful that the schools require this amount of work to be done on computers/internet but can’t help families in difficulty

Eskimoboy
27 Feb '19

Hi Paul, We’ve got one he can have. It’s a bit old and slow but should be better than nothing, it’s got Office and the internet on so should hopefully help him out. My email is… if you want to get in touch off the forum to discuss…

jrothlis
1 Mar '19

Can I suggest you install CloudReady on it? It’s ChromeOS for non-Google branded laptops, and it works incredibly well. I installed it on a 10 year old laptop which my daughter is now using for school, and it’s super quick and everything works as expected.

PaulL
1 Mar '19

Hi John - it’ Paul from hackathon, how are you

Thanks, it’s sorted now but will try that on a laptop at home.
Paul Lewis

system
30 Apr '19

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.