Archived on 6/5/2022

Wanted: summer work experience

Mr_Robin_Banks
31 May '16

Looking for possibly one or two weeks during the summer to do some work experience to better a CV.
Preferably banking/finance or IT.

If you work in any of these sectors and are willing to help please do

:grin::grin::grin:

Pauline
3 Jun '16

I’m wondering if there’s anything you could do within FHFW that might help with your CV @Mr_Robin_Banks

Not sure if this would help or not as it would come under graphic design rather than IT - if you want you could help with the design & layout of the brochure.

Let me know your thoughts if this would help or not.

anon5422159
3 Jun '16

Hi Robin, without wanting to sound critical, IMO you’d benefit from removing the “anonymous” mask. To me it comes across as mischievous. You mentioned banking / finance. I can tell you from experience that banks are very careful about who they bring into the fold, and they want to know who you are and what skills and experience you have.

HR scans all your social media activity (again, speaking from bitter experience). On the flip side, if your online presence is positive and relevant (i.e. personal projects or contribution to open source) this will help you land a great job.

Oh, and I associate the mask with “Occupy” troublemakers - that’s not a good look if you plan to enter the world of finance.

Apologies if this comes across as paternalistic advice. It’s purely my own opinion.

Mr_Robin_Banks
3 Jun '16

@anon5422159 I respect your opinion, maybe it’s time I take off the mask, the only reason I adopted this pseudonym is because I’m only 17 years of age and I’m constantly bombarded at school about internet safety and told to “not use your real name on the internet”.

Also being quite young means people on here may think I don’t know what I’m talking about and my voice carries no weight e.c.t.

Also when I joined these forums I knew I probably wouldn’t get along with other users because given the age difference we probably have different views and opinion on different matters. For example I seemed to be the only person who was in favour of the new Morrisons in Forest hill. Such discussions on here would inevitably lead to a dismissive view upon me so I figured it would be best to have an anonymous identity.

As for the mask, I simply use it because I like it.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

anon5422159
3 Jun '16

I understand your thinking but I really hope you don’t get that reaction in this forum. Judging by what I’ve seen so far, this is a positive place.

Mr_Robin_Banks
3 Jun '16

Fully agree there, so far this seems like a much friendlier alternative of the other se23 forum

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pauline
3 Jun '16

Hey, I really really appreciate your reply!

From the other place I didn’t get this about you, but from your OP here I thought this might be the case.

Please take the mask off & pop in for a chat anytime, I have an 18 & 13 year old. And your opinions should be treated the same as anyone else’s regardless of age.

Cheers for your honesty, and let me know if you want to get involved in what I suggested.

I was part of the peeps trying to stop Morrisons, but the main issues in the end were safety issues.

You sound like a really level headed teenager & I’d love to work with you :slight_smile:

Mr_Robin_Banks
3 Jun '16

The FHFW sounds interesting @Pauline. I’m afraid I don’t know much about it though. Is there a website? Do you know who I might have to contact If I decide to get involved? Thanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pauline
3 Jun '16

Yes, me!

Pop in for a chat or email me sugarmountain.info@gmail.com

Pauline :+1:

anon64893700
3 Jun '16

@Mr_Robin_Banks differences is what makes a forum an interesting place to be. Of course there is a bit difference between exchanging opinion and getting into a name calling match.

I agree with @anon5422159 to a degree that the mask kind of paints a negative image for you, especially when you show interest in sectors which the mask has a negative impact on. Although that is generalisation and pre judgement. Not what we should expect to be greeted with, but a reality of today’s world.

Good advice being anon for a good period of time, but I do agree that this forum has a different feel to it, and is more about a responsible community that a sounding board with no ethics. So hope you can feel more comfortable.

Of course there is no bullying, be who you choose to be, just saying that when you are ready, so are we :slight_smile:

Good luck finding the work experience either way. And stick around and be you :slight_smile:

Pauline
3 Jun '16

Hope you get in touch x