Archived on 6/5/2022

Water stop valve outside house sprayed white

Jimsthename
19 Sep '16

Anyone else had their outside water stop valve sprayed white? Our street was done on Friday I think but no word from Thames Water as to why…

Daffodil
19 Sep '16

Yes mine has been done and I noticed quite a few others too.

Jimsthename
19 Sep '16

Thames Water have confirmed no works from them are planned (they usually use blue paint). I’ve dropped LB Lewisham a line and am awaiting a response!

watchman45
20 Sep '16

I live in Kemble road and spoke to the to guys had themselves water I’d and said they will soon be putting cameras alone the st

Jimsthename
20 Sep '16

Watchman - is that cameras as in speed detection cameras?
Think this might explain it: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/transport/road-safety/Pages/20mph-borough-speed-limit.aspx

Dave
20 Sep '16

I think it’s more likely to be Thames Water doing some investigation with cameras on the water main.

Jon_Robinson
20 Sep '16

I’ve noticed these too on De Frene Road, and other roads nearby.
I did wonder what they’re for - presumed it was Thames Water, and some en mass survey, or replacement, or water meters?

a quick google check doesn’t confirm anything but there’s a thread on East Dulwich Forum, saying that apparently it’s places where a leak has been detected…?

Londondrz
20 Sep '16

There are a good few Water outlets sprayed white on the ‘high St’.

watchman45
20 Sep '16

It’s to install new water meaters as in smart meaters

jrothlis
20 Sep '16

Would be interested to know how smart water meters work? My meter is under half a foot of water at all times.

Londondrz
22 Sep '16

It is their water supply and if installed in the road is pretty much up to them to do if they want. Have a Google for Thames Water as I can’t copy Web links.

Jimsthename
22 Sep '16

Having had a closer look down my road, the old keyhole style metal covers are all sprayed but the square and round plastic covered ones aren’t - do I assume that they already have water meters?

Appreciate that they (Thames Water) can do what they want, but would be nice to know if they are changing anything rather than playing a guessing game.

Londondrz
22 Sep '16

Sorry my response was on the fly and a bit curt. If you are a Thames Water customer they should have written to you outlining this. As we live in a house converted into flats we are unaffected as flats dont have meters.

Jimsthename
22 Sep '16

RachaelDunlop
25 Sep '16

There may be an upside, though. We have fairly poor water pressure in my area. My builder told me that if our area was ever to be metered, we’d find our pressure increasing considerably. Obviously higher pressure means you might use more water where you’re leaving it running (which would be money in Thames Water’s pocket). But if you use the higher pressure to get washing done more efficiently, it can be a boon.

Brett
25 Sep '16

Intriguing but would love to know how that works. Ofwat suggest otherwise: