Archived on 6/5/2022

Waters - Fishmonger & Greengrocer - Now open

WatersSE23
8 Aug '16

Hi Forest Hill

After much listening and a lot of hard work, we are very pleased to be bringing to you

WATERS FISHMONGER & GREEN GROCER.

We hope to be open for business by the end of August, with just a little more help from you guys & girls we will hopefully be able to have in stock everything you would like.

Help us make Waters as community driven as possible. Tell us what you would like to see by filling out our contact form.

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk/contact-us/

Our aim is to provide seasonal and sustainable produce to ensure the tastiest, most reasonably priced fish and groceries that we can, so that everybody can benefit from a healthy and nutritious diet. As part of our ethos we will be aiming to be zero waste within the first year and hope that you will help us on that mission.

We can’t wait to share with you all, this exciting new venture and look forward to meeting you and sharing our plans for the future.

Much thanks

Waters SE23

starman
31 Aug '16

Hey guys… any update? I’ve not seen much action in the new location.

starman
2 Sep '16

Popped into Cucina last nigh6tvand they are looking forward to a quality supplier on their doorstep.

WatersSE23
6 Sep '16

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk/we-are-still-hard-at-work/

WatersSE23
1 Oct '16

Just thought we’d pop a little update here.

We are still opening. There is no confirmed date yet.

Lots more to do with the building than first anticipated sadly.

We are hoping to get the fish side of things up and running in the next few weeks. Keep and eye on our twitter and facebook for more updates.

anon88204203
1 Nov '16

Really looking forward to this opening :yum:

WatersSE23
14 Nov '16

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk/opening-november-23rd/

finches
2 Dec '16

Waters now open & looking/tasting great. Had salmon last night - very generous portion & great price. Also veges & fruit fantastic quality…HAPPY DAYS for Perry Vale. Might even take a bit of the depression away from our closed road!!

MackemJo
22 Dec '16

Just been in here tonight for the first time…really impressed! We got some beautiful smoked mackerel and a fine array of veg which looks delicious. Really nice to have a proper greengrocer nearby. Also collecting for the Food Bank. Will definitely use on a regular basis - hopefully the signage will improve and entice more people in as this is a great addition to FH.

anon5422159
3 Jan '17

@WatersSE23 - the first commercial post for new shopfront businesses is now free of charge, so I have moved your post into the main forum.

WatersSE23
4 Jan '17

Thanks Chris.

starman
4 Jan '17

Can you clarify business hours? Passed many times to see the place closed. Can you also give a sense of what you stock? The ‘range’ looks small from the street when I have seen you open.

WatersSE23
4 Jan '17

Our business hours are usually (Christmas & New Year was different) as follows…

Monday - CLOSED
Tuesday - 4- 7:30
Wednesday - 10.30 - 7.30
Thursday - 10.30 - 7.30
Friday - 10.30 - 7.30
Saturday - 10.30 - 5
Sunday - 11 - 2

However, unfortunately due to a technical problem we will be closed tomorrow and possibly Friday.

As far as the range goes we stock all your ‘every day’ fruit and veg, plus herbs, and try to keep it seasonal as much as possible. We get asked for specific items and so naturally we will get those in but they will come at a higher price if they are out of season.

Fish wise we regularly stock salmon, cod, skate, monkfish, sea bass, stone bass, squid, oysters, smoked haddock, sashimi grade tuna and a selection of cooked and hot smoked fish. This will of course change depending on seasonality and what is available at the market. We are still getting other different things in to see what sells and what doesn’t and will continue to do this.

If there is anything that you would like specifically then we can always try and get it in for you with a few days notice. All our contact details can be found at www.watersenterprises.co.uk

Herbert
4 Jan '17

You guys need to put a notice in the window if this is the case, I’ve been twice to find you closed when you should have been open.

My wife bought some lovely fish from you a week and a half ago. I love having a fish monger in the area, but I do think you need to improve the signage as the place could be mistaken for having not opened yet.

WatersSE23
4 Jan '17

The building is going to be covered in scaffolding soon so we decided against putting the sign-age up only for it to get ruined by the works being carried out.

Our Christmas & New Year hours were advertised on a poster in the window and across our social media platforms.

We will have an A-frame out the front soon.

starman
5 Jan '17

Yeah. I was there just after 7 today and it was shut tight.

WatersSE23
5 Jan '17

Sorry, possibly should have been clearer about Christmas & New Year. Billingsgate hasn’t reopened until this morning so we were still closed on Wednesday from the festive period.

Sadly tomorrow will be the same because of our technical problem.

Anotherjohn
11 Jan '17

I was lucky enough to meet the guys yesterday and to get a guided tour of their premises and an insight into what they’re doing here.

Clearly, the shop is a work in progress, but it gives you no perspective of the extensive behind-the-scenes prep areas and walk-in refridgeration etc, all of which demonstrates the level of investment and ambition behind this project; and the word project is chosen very carefully in this instance because this is not just another shop.

I would urge people to be patient here because this will be a very important long-term player in SE23.

I take my hat off and applaud the massive commitment - and I wish this project every success.

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Brilliant, thanks AJ.

starman
11 Jan '17

Based on location thus convenience I really hope this enterprise succeeds and in fact extend their product range sometime in the future.

Hopefully @WatersSE23 will take some comments and helpful advice and work a bit harder to keep new and potential customers informed across social media and with clear signage instore for those of use who don’t Tweet.

Good luck guys.

anon10646030
11 Jan '17

Based on location, half of forest hill lives on this side of the tracks, sorry in case misinterpreted your post star man

RachaelDunlop
11 Jan '17

A shop doesn’t need to be ‘convenient’ if it offers things you can’t get elsewhere. The Butchery is not at all convenient for me. I have to make a special trip, forward planned and remembering which days they are open, but I do it because once we’d had their mince beef we just couldn’t go back to supermarket muck.

Brett
11 Jan '17

I agree with this, though to be fair most butchers will sell you mince (and meat) that far exceeds a supermarket in terms of quality. These days we use Proud Sow for the same reasons but do use the Butchery and others on occasion. Am pleased to say that we haven’t bought supermarket meat, or fish, in over 10 years now.

I may well be visiting Waters soon. Our usual fishmonger, the excellent Sopers, are shut right now and will be for another week I believe. Didn’t realise this until I cycled over there last week. So much for forward planning.

starman
11 Jan '17

By convenience I meant convenient to pick up items for a meal on the way home. I use Coop but am not a fan of their fresh food nor the chain in general.

When I read Hugh de Long Name from that River Cottage place’s book - MEAT I swore I’d never buy supermarket mince (or beef) again.

RachaelDunlop
11 Jan '17

I knew what you meant, @starman, and I think a business like this will be successful if it can both catch the people who regular pass the door AND be enticing enough that others make a special trip to shop there.

Michael
11 Jan '17

The location is very convenient- about as close to the station as you can imagine. But even more conveniently they stay open until 7:30pm, which is ideal for picking up something fishy on my way home. I can even check if they are open from the station platform as I pull in.

As for signage, they have said that there is scaffolding going up soon to work on the roof, so there is no point having good signage until this work is completed.

WatersSE23
11 Jan '17

We chose our opening hours specifically for convenience of those getting off the train on their way home from work. We extended them to a late afternoon Tuesday opening when we were originally closed and have now extended that further to being open 10:30 - 7:30 on the Tuesday too.

As soon as we can get our signage up we will. Its been sitting out the back since August and we want it up asap but there is no point in our lovely signs being ruined by scaffolding. Its just as frustrating for us not to have them up.

We will be using the scaffolding as an opportunity to spruce up the outside of the shop and then get the signage up.

Our hours over Christmas and New Year did differ from those written on the door, however we had posters up in both windows with the holiday opening hours on. They are also plastered across our website, google business profile and social media platforms.

As @Anotherjohn said we are work in progress. We are adding to our stock every time we visit the market. We have got a new display fridge which is housing fresh salads and a selection of fish. We have a display freezer with a good selection of frozen shell fish which we will continue to grow this year.

There are plans to open up a juice bar to keep in line with our zero waste practices. Steve makes a point of talking to everyone who comes in and telling them about his plans for the future.

Huge thanks to those who have come by to support us. We are very lucky to be part of such a friendly community.

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Superb and thanks for update.

Londondrz
1 Feb '17

Just met Liam and his colleague (I am sorry, I didnt get her name). Really nice people. Looking forward to sushi Saturday AND!! the new cabinet opening which will have Asian herbs and spices as well as oils etc. Hope I got that right Liam. Good to meet you both and looking forward to my salmon tonight.

WatersSE23
4 Feb '17

‪It’s #SashimiSaturday here.

We have sashimi grade Tuna, salmon, squid and Yellowtail Hamachi.

We’re open from 10:30 - 5:00.

Londondrz
4 Feb '17

On my way, keep some for me.

Londondrz
4 Feb '17

Lovely fresh salmon and Mackrell. Also met @FowlMouths and look forward to eating at next week.

FowlMouths
5 Feb '17

Nice to meet you John. Must confess, my ears pricked up when I heard you mention se23.life!
See you next week :blush:

FowlMouths
5 Feb '17

Also, massive props to @WatersSE23. Only met Steve for the first time to discuss supplying us & his produce & dedication to quality is top-notch. Everyone loved the salmon & squid & can’t see myself ever going anywhere else for seafood.

catparade
5 Feb '17

Anyone have a phone number for these guys? So much posting on Twitter, forums and a website but no phone number. Frustrating.

WatersSE23
5 Feb '17

Hi, We do not currently have a phone number available. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Hannah_Lawrence
14 Feb '17

Was excited to see a local fishmongers and grocers in the area.
It’s disappointing however that certainly some produce seems to not be locally sourced, including things you might expect to be such as apples (from France), and mushrooms (based on the stickers and boxes visible).
It would also be helpful to include signage about where produce is coming from so that consumers can make informed decisions about what they’re buying.

Poppet21
25 Mar '17

Where exactly is this shop located in FH?

RachaelDunlop
25 Mar '17

On the corner of Waldram Crescent and Perry Vale. Used to be the door shop.

starman
25 Mar '17

Had amazing tuna steaks last night from there. There’s a forist op up there this weekend

Poppet21
25 Mar '17

A ‘forist op’. What’s that?

AndyS
25 Mar '17

The after-effects on his typing skills from the Sauvignon blanc he had with the tuna steaks, I’d guess!

starman
25 Mar '17

It was an off dry reisling from Clapton Craft akshually.

hic