Archived on 6/5/2022

Weed or not?

Philippe
27 Aug '18

As soon as weather has gotten gentler/wetter we’ve seen these plants popping everywhere in the garden - wondering what will come out of them. For now they are very easy to pull out, but we’re cautious that they may make flowers and spread even more… !

Philippe
27 Aug '18

Looks same family as mint but it doesn’t smell anything.

Philippe
27 Aug '18

Ok, we’re pretty sure it’s Annual Mercury now - exterminate! (familiar robotic voice)
http://www.gardenwithoutdoors.org.uk/weed_guide

Will
27 Aug '18

Thanks Philippe, great that you identified it… We seem to have a lot of it coming through at the moment too… Best to clear it out while it’s easy to pull out!

Brett
28 Aug '18

What is a weed? It is mostly personal choice. If it is a native species then I consider its value in the garden on its own merits. There is no definitive list of weeds.

RachaelDunlop
28 Aug '18

It’s a weed if you don’t actually want it in your garden and it is likely to proliferate and smother out / take resources from plants you do want. By asking ‘Is this a weed?’ the OP has got an identification of the plant and feedback on how it is likely to behave in the garden, which is the result wanted.

Philippe
28 Aug '18

@Brett weed has a precise definition: “a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.”.

The plant in question has good intrinsic qualities (should make great compost) but no beauty/smell value, while having the tendency to spread really well and grow vigourously. I could try keeping some in a “dead corner” of the front garden where nothing grows but I’d still be anxious with how competent it is in spreading its seeds.

starman
28 Aug '18

At first I thought the title was a continuation of the cannabis debate… but I see not. Still a good viewpoint on weeds. As I relatively new gardener thank you for the great definition.

Brett
28 Aug '18

Yes get that! My point is that whether a plant is a weed or not is purely subjective. Thanks for confirming that with your definition. :slight_smile:

InTheNightGarden
29 Aug '18

That’s not weed. Don’t think you would get very high smoking that…_