Archived on 6/5/2022

Westbourne Drive speeding issues

BigAl
24 Feb '18

People regularly speed down Westbourne Drive because it’s straight and relatively traffic free. But there’s a school on the corner of church vale and the speed bumps are useless, making people drive in the centre of the road. I’ve written to the Mayor of Lewisham (zero response) the council and our local MP and nothing has changed. They need speed cameras, more speed bumps, and a traffic light by the school. It’s an accident waiting to happen.

Mr_Robin_Banks
24 Feb '18

A traffic light? Really?

Wynell
24 Feb '18

The real answer is speed humps not cushions! Most large cars/suv’s can straddle the cushions or take a centre line down the road.

Seems a good dose of common sense in the roads dept would not go amiss. I cannot believe the difference in creating 3 cushions is cheaper than a roadwide hump?

RachaelDunlop
24 Feb '18

I though the split humps were designed to allow emergency vehicles through.

Wynell
25 Feb '18

So the spacing of cushions to ease a path for emergency vehicles enables all other vehicles with the exception of narrow track (smaller possibly slower vehicles) to do the same?
Seems we are back to common sense?

Foresthillnick
25 Feb '18

They are indeed but take Cranston Road - a natural and oft used path for emergency vehicles with cushions rather than bumps to facilitate and I have no issues with them using the road as such.
However I do have an issue with the fact that this results in some drivers taking the middle of the road come-what-may as it minimises the need to slow down - ie it does exactly what it is supposed to do.
The consequence of this is that several crashes have occurred on the bend where I live and there are countless hoots and toots from aggrieved drivers who have to swerve out of the way to avoid the middle or the road lot. I guess Westbourne D is similar…

RachaelDunlop
25 Feb '18

I agree, the cushions are far from ideal. I often see people slaloming around them and plenty of vehicles can comfortably straddle them. I was just responding to @Wynell’s question / suggestion that they were chosen on grounds of cost.

BigAl
25 Feb '18

Hi all, my point is, is that I don’t think speed bumps work very well. What’s needed is a stop light by the school bordering Church Vale. That’s when cars are going very fast, and where people are dropping their children off. Whenever there are police there or anyone in uniform the cars magically slow down. And that annoys me. Drivers can be civil and responsible but chose not to if they can get away with it. So anyone, if you do drive on Westbourne Drive, just slow down. There is a school and it’s a residential area, so engage brain please.

starman
25 Feb '18

I’m sure that I’ve seen time limited speed restrictions around school zones before. As in a 5 or 10 mph zone during the school runs. Could that work?

Wynell
25 Feb '18

My comments only referred to costs on the basis of effectiveness 3 cushions or a roadwide hump probably are probably cost neutral.

The very fact that they do not work, cause slalom driving must raise the question why keep building them? If as suggested they cause accidents and frustration then I question the value. I drive along Mayow Road more regularly and dependant on vehicle usage either slow down or ride over. So safety of other road users is dependant on my vehicle choice?

anon30031319
26 Feb '18

Speed cushions are a great idea when implemented properly. Sadly however, their uses seem very willy nilly, and on some roads they are completely ineffective, or cause drivers to do some strange things.
Jerningham Road is a great example.

Mayow Rd, just drive at the island then twitch left at the last moment, and so on…

When they are layed out in a slalom configuration is worst, when cars are not slowing, but instead weaving and swerving down the roads.

Sometimes I really wonder who is responsible. Shoddy contractors, or stupid planners?