Archived on 6/5/2022

What book are you reading at the moment?

thirstforwine
3 Jun '16

Just for fun, share a picture or link to tell us what you are reading at the moment, and whether you would recommend it to fellow SE23.LIFErs

I’m in the middle of a collection of all Isaac Asimov’s Robot short stories, and re-reading Lord of the Flies, but this is my main book. I just started it so no judgement yet, but I’ve been waiting for the paperback edition to come out since it was first published. This is by @PaulMasonNews.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGJtdI9p4kc/?taken-by=thirstforwine

anon5422159
3 Jun '16

Looks like I’m gonna need to implement a “dislike” button on SE23.life!

On the other hand, as I said last night in the pub, Lord of the Flies is a life-changingly good book. As is all sci-fi by Isaac Asimov. I read a lot of his short stories when I was younger and they expanded my imagination and inspired me.

anon64893700
3 Jun '16

Can’t say I would recommend this one to anyone. All rather dull.

Seriously though, not a reader at all, but curiously love to write (utter drivel)

anon5422159
3 Jun '16

A useful book from a very credible author. Inspired many features of the forum software (Discourse) we use on SE23.life

thirstforwine
3 Jun '16

might need to borrow that when you can spare it - to check it out. Interesting that a book from 2000 is still useful considering what has changed online since then

anon5422159
3 Jun '16

What’s striking about the book is, while technology has changed, the behaviour of people online has stayed the same. Trolling, Eternal Septembers, Culture-setting - all the same patterns of human behaviour back then and now.

RachaelDunlop
3 Jun '16

I’m reading The Essex Serpent on my kindle. A very hotly anticipated second novel by Sarah Perry. I’m not a big fan of historic fiction per se, unless it’s done well. Actually, I’ll read ANY genre as long as the book’s well written. I’ll put down a badly written book without hesitation.

I follow a lot of writers, book bloggers and publishing people on Twitter and get almost all my book recommendations there. I also get to go to plenty of book launch parties which is fun. We writers don’t get out often, so when we do…

http://sarahperry.net/

comoed
4 Jun '16

I’m reading The People’s Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation by Tobias Mayer

Its really interesting, if you’re into that kind of thing. A selection of essays written over a number of years about software delivery from someone who has been there and done that.