Archived on 6/5/2022

What noises of the area bother you?

anon64893700
6 Sep '17

Following on from the aircraft noise thread, and in the knowledge that others are bothered by daily sounds such as foxes. I wondered what other regular sounds around the area disturb you.

Do you live close to the station, fire station, main road etc?

From nature to man made, what other noises gets on your chuff on a regular basis?

RobA
6 Sep '17

Noise in general is a big bugbear of mine so I could go on for ages! But primarily (1) the need to play really loud music through open windows (especially if the weather is nice) into other peoples’ houses and gardens and (2) my neighbours’ tv / radio through the wall.

anon64893700
6 Sep '17

Aaah yes, this time of year can be annoying for “parties” . Infrequent on sensible days I can understand. But Tuesday nights til 1am can be a bit grrr!

Thankfully no TV or music noises through walls for me, but remember in previous places I have lived, it was infuriating.

Michael
6 Sep '17
  • Buses attempting to accelerate up even the slightest of hills

• Other people whistling along to music

• Dustbins being emptied before 6:30am

anon64893700
6 Sep '17

Cor, remember how buses used to be, trying to get up London Road etc.
Seems a lot of people get bothered by bins being emptied.

anon64893700
6 Sep '17

And loud motorbikes being ridden by idiots. Not to mention cars crashing at the end of the road while being pursued.

starman
6 Sep '17

Frankly from a noise perspective Forest Hill is a vast improvement from where I used to live in Camberwell. There it was the continuous sound of sirens from the nearby ambulance station and of course from the seemingly more frequent police sirens.

From my spot on Sunderland Road I enjoy the quiet of the neighbourhood to the extent the odd road work, or utility work doesn’t bother me much. I might feel different if Sunderland Road was undergoing roadworks like Dartmouth. While the foxes can be annoying, they are a natural sound and the reminder that we still live in a natural environment though urbanised is quite nice.

So the only noise which truly bugs me in loud whining of Conservative voices. But as with those annoying foxes, I have to accept them as part of the natural world.

:crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smirk:

anon64893700
6 Sep '17

Haha from a local neighbour perspective, I agree mate. Could be worse, if the planned diversion of Perry Vale goes ahead eh :smile:

I couldn’t have put it better. Lucky us :slight_smile:

Londondrz
6 Sep '17

I can hear the sound of the London Remoaners from here :slight_smile:

FaeryCatmother
6 Sep '17

Kiddies shouting/screaming/whining/running up and down on wooden floorboards. My former neighbours gave their toddler a recorder which they let her play at 5am. I nearly lost my cool at that one.

Foxes shagging is not much chop either.

Fran_487
7 Sep '17

I live opposite the station on Perry Vale, but it’s only overnight engineering works (in summer, with windows open) that annoy me about that.

For me, JK Banquets is the main offender. My block can hear their thumping bass until the early hours, and their midweek 2 or 3am license means that then, drunk streams of people flood the street outside my flat heading back to their cars (alarming) and keep me awake for hours. One pretty polite out-the-window request to a group to stop screaming across the road at 3:30am was met with laughter and a “go back to bed, sweetheart.”

We’ve had council-level meetings with the owners who, to be honest, were a difficult bunch of people who suggested that if the noose bothered us, “windows can close as well as open.” I had to be held back! Total lack of marshalling, no crowd control - I have no love for this business.

Foresthillnick
7 Sep '17

Nothing much bothers me anymore - maybe the parakeets as they do their nightly routine but other than that I find silence more unnerving than noise. As I mentioned on the other thread I have a bit of tinnitus so my brain makes its own unbearable noise which actually is not unbearable anymore. I think I have learned to blank it all out - internal and external but pure silence means I am left with my own internal whine so I am happy with the varied sounds of London.

GillB
7 Sep '17

Car alarms annoy my husband especially when he is trying to get to sleep, but I personally find the constant rhythm sends me off to sleep!
I agree that scooters, motorbikes etc are my big bear☹️

LukeSlatford
7 Sep '17

I’m guilty as charged on the whistling front!

LukeSlatford
7 Sep '17

The phantom motor bike racer of Devonshire/woodcombe/ewelme is my personal favourite. He narrowly avoided a tin of beans when I was getting shopping out the boot once, a bit slow on the draw that time :wink:

Michael
7 Sep '17

Me too, but I’m a fantastic whistler (or at least that’s what I hear)

anon64893700
7 Sep '17

I truly feel for you guys there. Lovely place to live, spoiled by selfish visitors to the area, and poor management of a business. Even walking past the place when events are being held drives me insane. So you have my genuine sympathies there.

A 25kg bag of loose stones should do the trick. Just don’t turn the lights on!

Refreshing to hear. I am aware of the sounds of the area, but not bothered by much at all. Usually the acts of humans more than anything, and even that is rare now.

A friend of mine moved to the countryside years ago, and could not sleep for the first month as the silence had him on edge. Funny old thing the brain isn’t it. I was similar for a few days in Spain.

Emily
7 Sep '17

Happy to say it’s the quietest place I’ve ever lived - I love it!

Spark6
7 Sep '17

I live behind wetherspoons i would say the police or ambulance sirens on London road and quadbikes or road bikes further out. Mostly ok otherwise l.

anon64893700
8 Sep '17

Well that is refreshing to hear. :slight_smile:

wattsicle
8 Sep '17

I live on Stanstead Road next to the tyre shop (one near fermor road junction). We’ve actually recently had someone move out of the block because of the noise from that place. It’s unrelenting. Every day, including Sundays and all bank holidays (except Christmas Day - honest). Throwing around metal wheel parts and tools so they clang loudly with the floor is the main annoyance from the front and at the back the machinery in their workshop which they start up at 7/7.30 EVERY.SINGLE.DAY
Have asked them if they could start a bit later and finish earlier on Sundays and bank holidays (the regularly work until 8pm) and they look at me blankly. Neighbour’s have asked them to be more considerate when throwing around all Thisbe metal, again blankness. Have asked them not stack their tyres so they encroach on the pavement, have asked them to keep it more clean and tidy out front and not leave the remnants of their friend chicken all over the place and to please get a bin… you got it, blankness. Although they do occasionally put their rubbish in the bins on our front garden now (which I’d rather than littering the place). Have complained to lewisham council several times and they never follow up with me. I appreciate they’re a business and employ people but I do wish they’d be more considerate of their neighbour’s and surroundings.

anon64893700
8 Sep '17

Surprised to hear you have had no feedback at all on this. Maybe someone like @MajaHilton can point you in the right direction to get advice on the matter.
As you say, them being a business, the noise is understandable to a degree, but some respite would be nice.

DevonishForester
8 Sep '17

Has anyone ever had help from any department of the Council regarding noise?

Londondrz
8 Sep '17

In the 16 years I lived in FH, no.

Pauline
8 Sep '17

Sorry to put a positive on this thread, but I really don’t mind noise in FH, I quite like the sounds of nature mixed with street sounds.

I live on a main Road and I have a set alarm clock when shop shutters open - So if I ever forget to set my alarm I’m still up bright & breezy & get a free alarm call into the bargain.

Bonus!

GillB
8 Sep '17

Don’t know if it’s any help, but what about Environmental Health?

anon64893700
8 Sep '17

No problem, there have been plenty of positives on this thread already if you read through. Me and @starman are delighted

anon64893700
8 Sep '17

Requested a visit from the noise team once. Was followed by a 3am visit hours later.
Only time I have called and it was positive.

maxrocks
8 Sep '17

motorbikes revving up and down at night

anon64893700
9 Sep '17

We have one of those locally at the moment. You can hear the idiot screaming down Waldram, then up the road to his house (or house he is visiting I should say).

wattsicle
9 Sep '17

In response to question about lewisham noise dept - No, have called them the past 2 Summers about tyre shop and never had any response, each time they seemed confused by which ward I came under and said they’d identify and call back but never have.

wattsicle
9 Sep '17

wattsicle
9 Sep '17

Thank you allfor your suggestions for how to try and improve the situation, the past 2 summers I have complained to environmental health (hoping they could help with noise, the tyres and litter) but aside from saying they’ll look into it, nothing happens and subsequents calls from my neighbour’s and I and we seem to be speaking to somebody new who doesn’t know anything of the complaint and can’t put us in touch with the person we last spoke to. When my neighbour’s and I last got together we decided our next stop should be to contact the local councillor and we haven’t acted on that but will do so now. However, as if to remind me further of why our tyre shop neighbour’s annoy us so, j woke up to this against our front wall this morning. Mr/Mrs Tyre Shop owner, have you been reading this thread I wonder?!

anon64893700
9 Sep '17

That is disgraceful. Time to speak to councillors and MP I would say.
Wonder if it worth reporting as a blocked pavement.

GillB
9 Sep '17

I agree, could & should be reported as blocking the pavement. Might actually prompt the powers that be to do something as well :grimacing:

starman
9 Sep '17

This popped on Twitter today. Retweeted by both Perry Vale and Forest Hill police.

MajaHilton
11 Sep '17

Hi @wattsicle

Businesses that create noise in residential areas will most likely have permission to operate during specific hours. I would agree that the residents would at least like some time during the weekend without noise. It is worth contacting your councillors for them to help you. I know one of the councillors has spoken to me in the past about the tyres on the pavement, and this can be sorted out. They must have not seen it recently.

Anyhow, the business is in Perry Vale ward and the councillors are

Cllr John Paschoud
Cllr Allan Till
Cllr Susan Wise

On the link scroll down to get email addresses ect.

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=WARD

Fran_487
11 Sep '17

I’ve been to a residents vs. JK Banquets meeting at the council buildings, but the follow-up since has been sub-par.

GillB
11 Sep '17

Just keep on at them! They will get sick of your presence & your voice :grimacing:

Mr_Robin_Banks
11 Sep '17

Maybe the party house on Benson Road?

Christopher
12 Sep '17

Motorbikes and scooters.

anon64893700
12 Sep '17

Especially at night for me. Living near Waldram Park Rd aka the drag strip can get noisy.