What's the barbershop situation in SE23?

After months of growing what can only be described as a mop on my head during lockdown I support I should look to get it cut if things are open again. Which reasonably priced barbers in SE23 (or SE4) are open, it’s not obvious from a google which have reopened.

I usually get my hair cut at an £11 place just off Tottenham Court Road but I’m not getting a train just for a haircut…!

I know smoddy reopened this week, but I think the price of a cut is £28ish. Unsure about Rob’s.

1 Like

As someone somewhat lacking in the hair department I have no idea on prices but the hairdressers next to Chandos was open when I walked past today.

Barbers on Perry Vale parade is open (next to the ‘bistro’). Abbas does a decent cut and is a nice guy! Was something like £11 I seem to remember (pre lockdown).

The Artful Barber is open again, about £15 for a cut
The Artful Barbers
2 Westbourne Dr, Forest Hill, London SE23 2ND
020 8291 2519
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nKkqR2qq185Ji95z7

1 Like

That’s the one I used regularly pre lockdown (Sun Barbers) - great to hear they’re opening up again. I pay about £12 for a simple trim and short back and sides.

Shoddy Sharp opposite the Sylvan Post is open by appointment only.

It looks like there is a new men’s barber called Stage open next to the William Hill and dentist on Dartmouth Road. Just passed it. One barber. No one waiting.

I ended up booking an appointment with Mems Barbers in Penge. £13 (normally £11 to cover PPE).

Rob has a notice in the window saying ‘opening shortly.’

2 Likes

That would be Ibo’s Barbers, in Perry Village :grin: It was open and orderly at the weekend.

Heard this morning that Rob ‘is selling his shop’. Great pity, if true… As I don’t think he owns the freehold, I wonder whether he might be selling the hairdressing business as a going concern? The goodwill must be worth something… But there seems to be increasing competition on Dartmouth Road.

Yes i walked up to Robs for a trim this morning found it closed , the sign on the window didn’t give me too much faith in him opening again.
Been a customers of Robs since the early 70s, Hes seen a lot of new barbers come and go but i wonder if hes just had enough ?
Dont know how he did that journey from Kent for all this time.

New barbers coming on the kirkdale/Dartmouth Road roundabout so kind of between FH & Sydenham stations. Just recently had hairdressers ‘luscious locks’ open on the roundabout so this barbers is just opposite it. Not yet open but looks imminent.

Blimey, No shortage of Barbers/ Hairdressers up that end of Dartmouth Rd, Think with this one there must be 4 or 5 ??

Agree. In fact between Brockley and Forest Hill, I have never seen so many hairdressers and barbershops. The Council should rename the whole area “Locksley” or “South Barnet”

3 Likes

Has anyone actually contacted Rob to confirm he is selling?

That would be a real shame. I’ve been going to Rob’s since we moved to SE23, the only place that doesn’t shave off all my hair when I ask for a trim!