Archived on 6/5/2022

Which High Street staff brighten your day?

anon5422159
7 Jun '17

I nip into Sainsbury’s in Honor Oak every day for fresh bread. Without fail, one of their staff says something cheery to me - and seems to do so because he’s a genuinely nice chap, not because the shop requires him to. I found out his name today - Donald, and I just wanted to give a shout out for him as he goes the extra mile.

If there’s anyone on the high street that’s impressed you, why not give them a mention here, and hopefully their employer will spot it.

Foresthillnick
7 Jun '17

Shannon’s always make me feel welcome and have a natter. They are family run and don’t seem to hire staff in but they are all really friendly - then again I do go there a lot!

starman
7 Jun '17

I don’t have a name, but likewise I am always impressed with the staff at Sainsbury’s in Forest Hill, particularly the till staff who are always friendly, chatty and helpful.

Andy
7 Jun '17

Definately. And they often have a cat sleeping atop of their shopping baskets, which makes me even happier.

Foresthillnick
7 Jun '17

Yeah he is a real sweetie!

starman
7 Jun '17

And apparently not their cat. He wonders in each day and makes himself at home.

anon5422159
7 Jun '17

Ah yes, bonus points for the resident cat, a bargain, at £1.50 :slight_smile:

Foresthillnick
7 Jun '17

The Proud Sow is always a treat too although a little outside SE23 - Oli and Josh are always ready with a friendly insult and my regular order of Chicken Thighs. They don’t have a cat though.

anon22025233
7 Jun '17

This is a nice idea. The chaps in St David’s always seem to have a nice way with people, despite often being furiously busy when ever I go in. They seem to genuinely like and support each other.

Brett
7 Jun '17

Agreed and the same can be said for Jay and all his staff at Budgens, though without the insults :-).

+1 for Donald at HOP Sainsburys - he is irrepressibly cheerful. As is Sezar at Hattush.

anon5422159
7 Jun '17
maxrocks
7 Jun '17

The staff at Sainsburys Forest Hill are all lovely.
Especially an older chap David (?) and a lovely blonde haired lady who is often on the tills where you buy lottery tickets.
They actually really make shopping there a pleasant experience.
Also St Davids staff are all friendly and despite being bus always get the order right.
The Butchery staff are great too and are good with advice and nice to chat to.

Pauline
7 Jun '17

For me it’s got to be Zoe @TheArchieParker I always ask for things that are not on the menu & I always say “Um, what do I want” when I go in.

For some strange reason we end up speaking in silly accents (maybe because I’m Scottish & she’s English) but it’s funny.

Anyway she suggested cheesy beans on toast the other day which wasn’t on the menu when I couldn’t decide & it was delicious :yum::yum:

If I pop into @StDavid & Sian’s there a quick chat and an amazing bacon sarnie sets me up for the day & makes me smile

A toastie from Aga & a chat is good with me too.

All in all quite a lot make me smile when I pass & brighten my day by giving a wave when popping my head around the door for something or another regardless if we’re asking each other if we can borrow a ladder, talking about stuff in the community or just sayin hi…

Most shops on the High Street make me smile when I exchange morning as I pass :slight_smile:

Nadia
8 Jun '17

There is a lady at forest hill pools, whose name I don’t know, with frequently changing coloured hair- blue/purple/pink? She plays games with the kids in the pool and is so chatty and lovely. When I first moved to first hill and knew nobody, she made me feel like this must be a super friendly and family community. Which it is!

GillB
8 Jun '17

I agree Sainsbury’s Honor Oak staff are always friendly. Sainsbury’s Forest Hill are better since they have got a new Manager. I found the previous one very rude!
Also a frequenter of Shannon’s. It is a friendly shop, stocks everything & of course there is the cat, who has been a visitor for a few years now.
I also like Lisa in Honor Oak florist. We always have a chat when I go in there.

Forestmother
8 Jun '17

I’m amazed no one has mentioned Pauline at the sweet shop. She is the font of all local knowledge for me and always has a natter and a laugh. The guy in the butchery is also lovely

Pauline
8 Jun '17

Thank you , I think I laugh & chat too much sometimes. :slight_smile:

whlsarah
8 Jun '17

So many!
Another vote for Donald and HOP Sainsburys.
The staff at Jays Budgens are lovely.
Pauline of course.
Also at The Teapot they are really friendly too.

Christopher
9 Jun '17

The guy at On the Hoof in HOP station - bright and friendly, and desperate to get your “usual” right!

anon5422159
9 Jun '17

Sadly he has moved on to serve in Dulwich. But his replacement is lovely too and has memorised my order already :slight_smile:

bigmacca1
9 Jun '17

Hello,
The receptionist in the opticians on London Rd, next to Sainsburys is a real pleasure to deal with.
Will always try to help, even carrying out repairs on glasses not purchased there, Just put a donation in the blind box if you wish. Lovely Lady.

Happy Customer.

AgentBlonde
13 Jun '17

I showed this thread to Donald at HOP Sainsbury’s this morning… he was thrilled to be a local celebrity! Well deserved, he’s great.

Fishingcat
13 Jun '17

Agreed! I love Shannon’s

NickL
14 Jun '17

Donald is a star. Shannon’s are excellent too, as is Lisa at the florist’s.

Must also put in a good word for the couple at the dry cleaners, always polite and friendly, nothing is too much trouble.

Christopher
15 Jun '17

Agree re dry cleaners!

Pauline
17 Jun '17

Gilly is particularly lovely, she loves getting involved in anything that benefits the local kids. Running up to last Christmas she was involved with getting kids to get to see a pantomime for free :slight_smile:

And on the couple of occasions I’ve been able to set up a free Santa’s Grotto (empty shop or space permitting) Sainsbury’s FH have donated the gifts for the kids from Santa, thanks to the managers :slight_smile:

I’ve not met Donald from the HOP store, but he sounds like a great guy to me :+1:

maxrocks
17 Jun '17

Yes! Dry cleaners!
Lovely people family run and very good cleaning too!

Fran_487
26 Jun '17

Gavin at Canvas & Cream has been one of my favourite “local faces” since I moved here, and (in direct competition!) we’re big fans of Sian over @StDavid (hi!) and her team of depressingly young and lovely staff. It can get insanely busy but everything always seems to work, and with a smile too.

Pauline
1 Jul '17

Worth mentioning on here that Robyn who owns Wild Horses opposite the pools is mega friendly. Plus Konrad that owns what used to be the Gym Cafe & the team at BoNA @andrea . Also our volunteers at the library are so helpful & so friendly I couldn’t not mention them especially as so many locals pop by to tell me this :sunglasses:

Forethugel
3 Jul '17

The guy at the ticket hall at Honor Oak Park station (not sure what his name is). I get a “Good Morning” everyday and it’s just great to see actual people staffing the station. Crofton Park is a constant reminder of what it could be like instead.

He also once saved my backpack which I had stupidly left on the platform bench at Forest Hill on my way to holiday. :scream:

Admittedly, the pack lunch inside wasn’t nice anymore when I came back but the rest was in good order and I was more than relieved to have it back!

Forethugel
5 Aug '17

I believe he had a sad personal experience at Forest Hill station a few years back so I can see why the whistle would scare him. (Having said that, it usually scares the hell out of me too!)

Christopher
29 Mar '18

Sadly the staff continues to rotate here - the girl working today is really surly and distinterested. Such a shame as their previous staff have been so good. OtH still do the best coffee but I’d rather go to Two Spoons.

anon5422159
29 Mar '18

I stopped using OtH at HOP station due to the staff changes. Not just the surliness, but I had a couple of badly-made coffees and decided to give up.

In the morning I now go to London Grind if commuting via London Bridge, or Coffeestudio 7gr if commuting via Shoreditch High St. Both are top notch.

Bolgerp
5 Oct '18

I have somehow missed this thread…having now lived here for 2.5 years, I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience anywhere (long may it continue)… perhaps I am just very lucky but it’s so nice to live in an area where people take pride in their work and make you feel very welcome and valued as a customer. There are so many wonderful businesses in the area where I have had great service, wonderful chats and helpful advice but I’d like to give a special shout out to the lady in Wild Horses who is just so lovely and fun and pointed me in the direction of a very delicious (and potent) Christmas cocktail; the wonderful staff in Aga’s Little Deli who fulfil my Ham & Cheese toastie and Saint-Félicien cheese cravings; the manager in the Dartmouth Arms (are we allowed to include pubs?) who’s always a delight to chat to whenever I go in and, of course, @Pauline who never ceases to put a smile on my face when we pop in to say hello.

But I applaud all the other businesses in the area and implore them to keep up the good work… it’s a pleasure to gently amble around Forest Hill on a Saturday mid morning and pop in to all the different shops and cafes .

starman
5 Oct '18

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: