Archived on 6/5/2022

Which kind of Londoner are you?

anon64893700
5 Sep '17

This should be rather interesting I think. Oh how the groups will despise others.

GillB
5 Sep '17

Very interesting, especially as I’m south east London through & through & was brought up in a time when chicken shops were not even thought of :wink:

anon64893700
5 Sep '17

Same here. :slight_smile:
Well Kentucky Fried Chicken did in my childhood, but that was it.

Wynell
5 Sep '17

I was born a cockney have lived all over, but fond memories of front doors always open and if you fell over a ‘mum’ would clean you up give you a hug and off you went. The local gangster would buy the kids ice creams and once a week a black maria would take him away. My Dad would buy a jug of beer to drink at home and with a splash in your lemonade you were made up.
My job on Sunday afternon was to peel winkles and if we went to Nan &Grandads I got to open the shutters on the parlour so we could sit there for a couple of hours.
South London was a foreign country but now its home and I love it!

anon64893700
5 Sep '17

Brilliant! :heart:

Pauline
5 Sep '17

I love winkles, cockles & mussels slight_smile:

Moved to London early 80’s & wouldn’t change a thing, especially moving to FH :+1:

LukeSlatford
6 Sep '17

The Parlour, wow that takes me back to the very early 80’s round my nan & great nan’s house in east-ham, they still kept chickens and rabbits in the yard for special occasions. The family almost disowned me when I ‘moved sarff of the river’ !!

Wynell
6 Sep '17

I also kept chickens and rabbits in the late 50/60s nothing like lifting a hen to get a hot fresh egg for breakfast. Worse thing I remember was the loo at the back of the yard ‘spiders’ !