Which Sainsbury's to visit tomorrow

Sainsburys cancelled my weekly delivery this evening so I need to go shopping for myself and family. I can go immediately after the over 70’s hour tomorrow, but does anyone have any info on how levels of stock & busyness at Bell Green and FH were this morning or are likely to be tomorrow?

My advice would be to go to the convenience stores in either Honor oak or East Dulwich. The bigger stores have been much harder hit and will take longer to recover. It will also help take the pressure off of the bigger stores if more people did this.

3 Likes

I think the idiots who are stockpiling have also realised this based on my local convenience store.

1 Like

Based on my visit to FH early this afternoon unless they’ve had a large delivery since then and actually got it out on the shelves I wouldn’t rely on them having enough for a lunchtime snack let alone a weekly shop! There were empty shelves everywhere and I only got 2 of the several items I wanted!

1 Like

Honestly if you can avoid a supermarket I would.

The other day when the water went off I decided to go further afield because I knew everyone would be rushing on bottled water (luckily I had the car) and went to a Londis in SE13.

You’d never know about the carnage in the supermarkets, it was well stocked with EVERYTHING. Not a bare shelf in sight.

You’d have to hope the hoarders and panic buyers will soon start to run out of space for all this panic buying they’ve been doing and it’ll even out.

1 Like

I went to bell green this morning - I did a weekly shop without too much issue (but a bit of flexibility) - no flour or beans though. It was busy but I didn’t see much unusual behaviour.

3 Likes

That’s really bad news that they cancelled your delivery. I’ve been going online every day to try to book a delivery - ideally for a week or sos time. No slots available, which is understandable in these times. But for a regular customer to just be dumped out without offering you an alternative slot seems a bit harsh. So much for sensibly planning ahead!

There seems no middle ground between hoarding and going without.

2 Likes

I think I must have the most desirable asset right now in my guaranteed Ocado delivery slot…

There is every chance those hoarding may run out of space or money soon.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the hoarders start peddling their wares at inflated prices on an ongoing basis.

1 Like

Nice to know @Beige!

Just been to Bell Green Sainsbury’s myself. It’s in a bit of a sorry state with lots of empty shelves in unexpected areas (who knew home baking was in such demand?), but there’s fruit and veg and while you might not be able to get your exact shopping list, there’s enough that you won’t starve if you are happy with 2nd or 3rd choices.

They are playing announcements every few minutes to remind people to only take what they need within the imposed limits, and it felt quite calm with little queuing at the tills.

6 Likes

I had to buy Cornish sea salt flakes because all the Maldon salt is with hoarders!! :angry:

6 Likes

The horror! :grin:

1 Like

More fool the hoarders as everyone knows that Cornish salt is saltier than Maldon salt anyway!!

From https://www.lovefood.com/news/57716/the-best-uk-sea-salt-producers

2 Likes

There is certainly a lot of hoarding and panic buying going on which will hopefully stop.

There is however another side to it. With more people working from home there is a massive shift in custom from food outlets in Central London to supermarkets where people live. While the shelves in Bell Green are empty, those at Pret etc. in the City will be full to the brim (if the stores are still open that is). This is a logistical nightmare to sort out which I reckon will take some time.

So I think even without any hoarding or panic buying we would see similar levels of shortage, with all the supply chains being fine-tuned to demand and just-in-time principles.

4 Likes

I obviously can’t speak for London but here in Norfolk my local town seems to have eased up on the panic buying. There are still shortages of some items but fresh fruit and veg are available and whilst the was no chicken at all on Wednesday the meat counters were full. Some days the chicken is full and the meat not. What we are now doing is going to the shops not with a list or a recipe in mind but to see what there is and work with that. I realise the demographic in London is quite different but hopefully people will run out of space and or money to stockpile or cotton onto the fact that there is not a shortage of food overall, just a shortage of brains.

6 Likes

Still mad in London… This at Bell Green just now:

What is wrong with people? Do they not have a baseline of store cupboard and freezer essentials?

Yes I know some people have limited incomes and space that preclude keeping a well stocked cupboard and freezer, but plenty of people have no excuse.

3 Likes

Supermarket trolleys are gross at the best of times. Despite getting some mocking looks, I’d gotten into the routine of wiping the hand bar with a wet wipe long before coronavirus but I now realize I was doing nothing to combat any virus on there.

The worst are those plastic baskets in Lidl, which don’t look as if they’ve ever been cleaned.

1 Like