Archived on 6/5/2022

Why slow mode

LEON
19 Mar '21

Why? there were only 4 posts. Talk about censorship

oakr
19 Mar '21

As moderators, we take a view, based on our experience of moderating the forum, when we think a topic may lead to issues of various sorts occuring, and respond accordingly.

That is what we have done here.

Have a good evening.

ForestHull
19 Mar '21

Hiya @LEON.

@oakr beat me to it, but here’s my similar view.

Firstly I’ve moved this over here from the Extinction Rebellion posters/vandalism topic as it’s really a question about moderation, not that topic.

We’ve set slow mode in recognition that the original topic may bring out some strong viewpoints which are likely to stray from forum guidelines and local focus. We have already seen one post attract a flag; recall the guidelines:

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticise ideas, not people .

It’s also a Friday night, and slow mode hopeful takes any potential heat out of a discussion, without stopping anyone expressing their viewpoint, should they wish to do so.

I hope that makes some sense.

promofaux
19 Mar '21

I’ve always liked slow mode. It means that you have to think carefully about what you want to say, and put it across eloquently enough that you don’t need to follow it up as soon as someone responds to it…

Once an hour, and 32000 characters (At least, that’s discourse’s default - might have been tweaked here) is plenty to get any point you want across, surely!

edit: I wasn’t careful enough

LEON
20 Mar '21

“when we think a topic may lead to issues of various sorts occuring, and respond accordingly.”

to quote: ‘various sorts occuring (sic)’

I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you explain?

This is not a community forum. It is policed & does not represent people in the SE23 community