Archived on 6/5/2022

Wifi on trains

Michael
2 Oct '17

Have i missed this previously but Southern trains now appear to have wifi. No more gaps between Brockley and New Cross Gate!

Sent from my train

anon5422159
2 Oct '17
starman
2 Oct '17

Is it any good? Other than getting your post here?

Michael
2 Oct '17

It was fine. Uploading images is about as much as I’m likely to do.

anon5422159
3 Oct '17

There’s one of those irritating login screens that asks for your personal details i.e. phone number, postcode etc. Thankfully this isn’t verified so you can enter anything and get straight online.

Londondrz
3 Oct '17

You dont need wifi to look out the window or people watch. Just saying :yum:

jrothlis
4 Oct '17

I tried it yesterday, and deleted it after 10 minutes. Spotify doesn’t work, Dropbox doesn’t work (it seems like more things are blocked than are allowed). It forces you through multiple registration screens to get online (gave a bunch of made-up info). And it implies you are limited to 50MB. I’ll put up with the Brockley - NXG gap, thanks.

starman
4 Oct '17

Wasn’t available on the 0951 to LBG. :frowning: Though it was an older train.

Londondrz
4 Oct '17

You poor Londoners. Works very well for me but then I am on a Norwich to London train :yum:

Michael
4 Oct '17

Brings a new meaning to NFN

Londondrz
4 Oct '17

Well it’s a train strike three days and yet, here I am on a running train. So if that is NFN I am all for it. :grinning:

starman
16 Oct '17

Since reading this I’ve been on one train with wifi which in fact was decent enough for what I needed.

Michael
16 Oct '17

The biggest problem I have found is when you are waiting for a train at London Bridge, log in to the Southern wifi, and then the train pulls away, taking its internet connection with it.

rbmartin
17 Oct '17

I’ve had to turn off the free wifi as it’s annoying switching from 4G back to The Cloud every stop.

As for phone reception on the train. Only northbound between Brockley & New Cross Gate I lose 4G on EE. Perfectly fine southbound where I’ve been able to browse or use Spotify to stream music.