Archived on 6/5/2022

Zero waste store coming to Dartmouth Road (former Sugar Mountain shopfront)

Anotherjohn
22 Nov '18

I now have the ingoing tenant’s permission to tell all -

It will be run as a separate but complimentary business in close conjunction with Aga’s Little Deli - and here’s the blurb:-

Zero waste greengrocer.
With plant based food - fresh juices, smoothies, salads and we will use glass jars and glass bottles and paper boxes for take away.
We welcome customers to bring their own packaging if they want and we will provide all sort of beans, grains, rice, and pasta.
Ready to pick up veggie and vegans meals.
Big section of vegan products and fermented food.
All sort of pickles (pickled cucumbers, beetroot and carrots), sauerkraut, kimchi and sauerkraut juice to take home.
Strictly no meat on the premises.
We are planning to open end of January or early February.

starman
22 Nov '18

Outstanding.

Back home we have Bulk Barn which is a fairly large franchise operation of bulk, usually dried foods. One of my favourite parts is the herb and spice selection. As in I can buy small amounts for specific recipes rather than buy a large bottle of which most will go unused and eventually thrown out.

That would be great too.

Forestbird
22 Nov '18

Good luck to Aga with the new venture. Sounds perfect.

Londondrz
22 Nov '18

Sounds like a brilliant venture, good luck.

divya_m
22 Nov '18

This sounds fantastic. Can’t wait for it to open !

anon26043310
22 Nov '18

This sounds excellent! Reminds me of Trader Joe’s in the US…

Lazzyb
22 Nov '18

This sounds great, can’t wait.

georginab80
22 Nov '18

Sad for sugar mountain but super excited for its replacement. Yummmmm!!!

Foresthillnick
22 Nov '18

An excellent addition and even though I grow my own veg I will very much be visiting. I have been wanting a shop like this for ages - one that sells grains etc by the kilo. Everything else sounds like a bonus too.

Tersie
22 Nov '18

Fantastic news, really look forward to this being in place.

appletree
23 Nov '18

Fantastic. Hope there will be a lot of interesting fresh fruit and veg, including fresh herbs!

starman
23 Nov '18

As plans develop for this project i hope the new owners might read this topic. While the new shop will offer vegan food and be meat free, I would think it a shame if this zero waste trend become synonymous solely with vegan lifestyles.

GeorginaA
23 Nov '18

This sounds fantastic. Can’t wait for it to open.

Pauline
23 Nov '18

Thank you, but it’s the right time for me to move on and work on my new venture :100::100:

SisterMidnight
23 Feb '19

Any news on this? Really keen on this idea…

Sgc
23 Feb '19

Saw on twitter a mention that they get keys to new shop on March 1st. Now not sure how many different ventures they might be working on so could be jumping to conclusions…

Anotherjohn
23 Feb '19

I’m the landlord - and we’re working towards handover around the 1st of March so they can start fitting-out very soon after. Apparently their designer has done a nice job so it should be well worth the wait. For me, I think it’s really nice that there will be an interesting cluster of 4 adjacent shops - Archie Parker, Leaf & Groove, this one and Yolanda’s beautiful flower shop - which will make the trip a little further into Dartmouth Road a worthwhile one. And, once you’ve reached that far, a few steps further to Wild Horses and Crazy Man Crazy would be a bonus! (I don’t know who their lucky landlord is though)

Sabrina_D_oronzio
23 Feb '19

Can t wait! Love Forest Hill and Dartmouth Road has such beautiful cafe and shops! Just went for a brunch today at Archie! My local favourite cafe!

Forestbird
23 Feb '19

What great news. Good luck to the new shop. Dartmouth Road is looking good during the day. Sadly after hours when the shutters come down there is so much graffiti on those shutters that it looks not so good. Some notable establishments are currently letting the road down when a tin of paint and a paint brush would make such a big difference.

ForestHull
23 Feb '19

I think WHSmiths is the first culprit :frowning:

Forestbird
23 Feb '19

I dont like to name and shame but it’s pretty obvious taking a walk down the road on a sunday or after hours who they are.

ForestHull
23 Feb '19

Fair point, and I wouldn’t call out a local business.

Esme
24 Feb '19

This is great news :smile: can’t wait for it to open. I discovered ‘Bring your own’ a zero waste shop in Nunhead on Saturday and loved it.

weepy
25 Feb '19

Any idea why the flower shop has no name ? I wish it did. I think it would help it. At the moment it’s a bit like when you know someone but don’t know their name and so can’t introduce them to anyone.
Maybe they think it’s a cool quirk ? Not worth the downside IMHO

weepy
25 Feb '19

I should say I think it’s an awesome shop and a great addition to the high street in case that sounded too negative :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
25 Feb '19
Helenchelen
25 Feb '19

I’m really very excited about this! I was thinking about getting involved with the Naked Larder in Herne Hill until I heard this was coming to FH. I’m hoping as well as grains, pasta etc. they will also do refills for shampoo etc. and cleaning products.

weepy
25 Feb '19

Yay. Just need it on the shop now :slight_smile:

ForestHull
25 Feb '19

@weepy, were you just hoping it still for be called ‘Florist Hill’ like @anon22025233 suggested?

I still love that suggestion!

weepy
26 Feb '19

Haha no it wasn’t that. It’s a great pun tho

anon5422159
1 Mar '19

NigelA
1 Mar '19

What a fantastic initiative- really hope they do well .

anon5422159
10 Mar '19
JumpingCaribou
18 Mar '19

You must be from Ontario, yes?

JumpingCaribou
18 Mar '19

I agree! I loved that you could get licorice allsorts in bulk at Bulk Barn. A whole candy aisle. And a whole cereal aisle. What’s not to love?

starman
18 Mar '19

Shhh. We try not to let them know there are so many of us. We’re not ready to hit the go button on the Canadian World Domination plans yet. Wait for the secret signal.

Double double.

JumpingCaribou
18 Mar '19

Roger that. Rolling up the rim as we speak.

Pauline
18 Mar '19

Wishing Aga the best of luck with her new venture, and she can’t go far wrong with an amazing landlord that is @Anotherjohn I think it will be an amazing addition to D Rd and look forward to shopping here when I’m not busy studying :slight_smile:

starman
18 Mar '19

The shop comes with great residual energy from its previous occupant. I hear.

Pauline
18 Mar '19

I think so :slight_smile: , Aga is keeping my original door which I have a soft spot for and appreciate.

Though moving on I think her new shop will fit in really well on D Rd and be a great addition to that strip of shops.

Anyway I’m still up for coming to dinner with you and @Bolgerp soon, I have to submit loads of Uni work by April 24th then have 8 weeks holiday, YAY. Anytime after the 24th will work perfect for me if it does for you guys xx

starman
27 Mar '19

I stuck my nose in the door today. It is looking amazing with new tiling and cabinetry.

jmoney
28 Mar '19

Sounds great, but what measures will be in place to reduce the risk of cross contamination (wheat / nuts / nut flours etc) for those with severe allergies? I’d love to shop here if it’s safe for my family.

anon5422159
3 Apr '19

Continues: New Zero Waste Store “Beetroot & Beans”