Aggressive begging in South Road/Church Rise, Forest Hill

An aggressive beggar has been hanging around the corner of South Road/Church Road. He claims to want money for food and kept calling out after he’d been told no.

He is about 6ft, wearing a 3/4 dark coloured coat, a dark hat. He is white, thin face, dark hair. Looks and sounds like he is probably in his 20s.

I have seen him twice today (Friday, November 13) at about 1pm and at 3.55pm. I have reported him to 101 online.

4 Likes

This sounds like a guy who’s been pacing up and down Perry Vale a few times recently. He approached me as I was struggling with several full bags a few days ago and from my window I’ve seen him shouting at people who refused his requests as they walked away.

2 Likes

Saw similar sounding guy outside Sainsbury’s FH being very rude & aggressive to an elderly couple a couple of weeks ago. Telling them to give him money & not letting up. A few of the public witnessed it & encouraged the elderly couple to ignore him. He was intimidating them at very close proximity. Nice that people helped the elderly couple out of a threatening situation.
Shame if this guy is in desperate need, but very unpleasant for the people he is approaching.

4 Likes

Probably a junkie.

Just saw this post. It happened to me on Monday night. I had to go into the office on Monday and when coming home I was walking up South Road just after 7 pm. He asked me for money and I said that unfortunately I don’t carry cash and then he asked me for an oyster card and again I said I don’t have one as we use our bank cards to travel. He was very dodgy and wearing exactly what the poster described. This happened really close to the church. I was alone and actually quite scared and kept checking if I was being followed.

2 Likes

Same guy came up to me-Monday evening about 8pm I’d just left the station on my way home from work and as i was about to throw my mask in the bin he literally just ran across the road straight up to me really close taking me aback by coming right up to me In quite a deliberately intimidating manner and asking for money-I was actually quite scared being alone, it was dark and I said no sorry-started to walk away towards dartmouth road and he started shouting something and made to walk after me-I thought he may grab my bag because he seemed quite angry that I’d said no-luckily someone else crossed the road and walked in our vicinity and their appearance caused him to back off.
But he shook me up and I kept glancing behind me as I walked home in case he was following me still.
really scary actually.

1 Like

We’ve been approached by this guy twice on Dartmouth Road when having lunch at outdoor tables before lockdown. He gets too close and doesn’t wear a mask. Angry if you refuse. He took offense at our eating. Happened once outside Archie Parker and once outside the Moustache.

2 Likes

Clearly has mental health/drug issues too.

I once had someone similar come up to me on the train during my commute and accost me for literally no reason. Came up to my face and started threatening me. It was terrifying. I reported him to BT police. This same guy was on my everyday commute and would get off at the same station as if he was going off to work. I saw him threatening another innocent commuter a few weeks later. It just takes one different reaction from a commuter for things to very quickly escalate. It was a frightening thought that this guy was able to roam amongst society… It wasn’t too long ago that we had that stabbing attack at FH station.

Has anyone got a response from the police?

3 Likes

Be interested to know whether there has been a response from police. It almost sounds as though, given how aggressive he is , it’s a 999 call that’s needed now. There are 7people on this thread who have had a nasty experience, one of who has also seen someone else having trouble and someone who has reported seeing him intimidating the elderly couple. It’s a shame that despite 9 incidents in total Just on this forum, nothing seems able to be done? Although I note he seems to back off if other people appear, so may be hard to catch!

3 Likes

I’ve tagged the Perry Vale and Forest Hill MPS Twitter accounts with the link to this thread so they’re aware although they do say not to report crimes on those accounts!

8 Likes

Thank you-As a lone female coming home late from work (I just got home 10mins ago) my experience last week has unnerved me especially as the streets are relatively quiet when i leave the station to walk home.
He’s a really nasty individual who is deliberately intimidating and confrontational

3 Likes

This guy has been stalking up and down Perry Vale most of this morning, shouting at people who refuse to give to him. Not quite sure what the best course of action is if he’s a persistent nuisance?

2 Likes

Perhaps call 101 and give them a description.

1 Like

To report crime the Perry Vale MPS Twitter account advice is to:

call 101, tweet @MetCC or visit our website. In an emergency call 999

2 Likes

Just seen this thread but sounds like the guy I encountered yesterday afternoon at the top of Church Rise. He asked if he could use my phone, fairly calmly, and when I told him I didn’t have it on me he started shouting at me, all of a sudden. Before he started shouting I had stopped on street because I couldn’t hear what he was saying and I noticed he started looking around the street, and behind him, to see if anyone else was there. I found this a bit unsettling.

3 Likes

Gutted!

I saw a post from RAMBO and I thought - Great, now someone’s taken this bull by the horns!

I feel real sympathy for everyone who’s been confronted and unnerved by this horrible person because I’m sure it sticks with them and it can also have a disproportionate downer effect on a whole neighbourhood.

I hope the police will be able to catch this guy and work with the medics to get him into a secure unit until he’s in a fit state to come back into normal society.

9 Likes

To be honest having encountered him I didn’t get the impression he had a mental issue
But that his modus operandi for begging is to be deliberately intimidating (why else would you run up really close to a lone middle aged woman in the dark -literally right in my face and he wasn’t wearing a mask-ask for money and then proceed to follow and shout abuse until someone appeared nearby?).
He is aggressive and intimidating but I dont think he’s mentally ill,
Just desperate for money for his next fix is my guess.

3 Likes

My girlfriend and I bumped into this charming fellow a few weeks ago on the junction where Devonshire Road meets the South Circular, I found him to be extremely persistent and far less respectful of our personal space than any beggar I’ve ever encountered. I didn’t personally think there was a deliberate intention to intimidate us, just a persistent inability to accept my answers of no and walk away coupled with a tantrum which seemed more directed at his situation than us.

Either way this guy does need to be dealt with by the authorities but I do think his mental health is a core part of that.

7 Likes

Based on the fact that a lot of these encounters seem to be with lone people and that he seems to have an eye out for whether anyone else is around, it definitely sounds as though he is using deliberately intimidating techniques. Whether he is mentally ill or not I don’t know but as a woman who is often walking on their own in this area it would be great if the police were able to do something. I’ve never really felt uncomfortable walking round FH in the 12 years I’ve lived here but I’m going to be pretty wary now!!

4 Likes

Notifying the police via twitter. Hmmm. Someone do it and tell us what happens

1 Like