Allotment / Gardening Chat and Advice [2018-2019]

Is anyone doing some allotment building and in need of scrap timber? I have a couple of doors - approx 178 x 48.5 see pic

I would take this to a reclamation yard, they are lovely.

I did ask Dulwich Reclamation in Kirkdale, but they weren’t interested. All sawn up now and taken to the dump.

Does anyone use green manures over autumn \ winter, and if so what? I have some mustard type seeds that are meant to work, and was wondering about using broad beans - I don’t eat them though but could give them away or try them again, then cut down the plants etc. They seem to do a great job of growing quickly and stopping anything else coming through.

I have never used a green manure mainly as my plot always seems to be full even over most of winter.
Broad beans is a good idea but I love them and grow them anyway…

Olive crop looking promising …

3 Likes

Another 25 lbs of toms today! Just got back from hols so some are a little over but they will get sauced tomorrow anyway…
Cabbage also have gone nuts!

3 Likes

Wow! That is impressive.

Hello all, just recently moved to Forest Hill. What opportunities are there for getting an allotment in the area?

Hi @AnToibin and welcome to the area (and to SE23.life!) :wave:

We have a number of topics about allotments, including details on local options and their notorious waiting lists (click here: #allotments to see them)

Hi @AnToibin - I put some information on this further up the thread somewhere- will try and dig it out and repost it. Basically Bromley is much easier than Lewisham.

Here you go, any questions please ask!

Impressive! Were these toms in a polytunnel or outside, or green ones you’d left to ripen?

All outside mate… Some from Deb’s plot and the big ones from mine. There is still plenty left to pick - If you can get through the blight then they can stand till the frosts hit. Although with all this rain they will probably succumb to blight before that…
I managed to get my spuds up and they have done well too.
I only planted 15 this year as we had too many last year but they really performed well and I weighed them in at just shy of 80 lbs!

Last Autumn I planted garlic (for the first time) and it worked out very well. Is there something else that does well, in the Forest Hill climate, being planted just before winter? I was thinking of onions, but apparently most varieties need spring planting. If someone can recommend a variety for Autumn planting, that would be appreciated. This may seem like a daft question, but do you get one onion per set, or multiple onions from each set planted?

BTW I have had a tremendous tomato crop this year, but very poor squash and courgette quantity, also green beans very light harvest.

Onion sets can be planted now (or in a week or two) - Autumn Champion, Radar, Electric and Senshyu are all good. You just get one onion but you can plant winter shallots and they will bunch. @Shannonsgc will have some…
Broad Beans go well from about the third week of the month and they are a great early crop.
There are some peas that will overwinter but I have never done them.
Coriander is a good winter crop but it may be too late to plant out…

1 Like

Shannon’s definitely have some as I got some from there! Was going to try and plant some today but will have to wait a couple of weeks now to get garlic and onions in.

The squirrels always seems to get thr blame for stripping the sweetcorn but found another culprit today (there were 3 of them in fact!). Have also noticed the green parakeets eat the sunflower seeds.

1 Like

I was pulling my hair out about my plants being nibbled despite a quite high fence round the veg bed. I now know why! Not something I would have expected when we lived in FH.

3 Likes

I may have overdone the squash a little! :smiley:

4 Likes

You have the greenest fingers of anyone I know!

1 Like