Allotment / Gardening Chat and Advice

allotments

Potato Question

I am growing potatoes in a bag. I went on holiday during the heat last week and when I came back the once upright plants were now drooping. They are still green courtesy of the wonderful services of Cat Calls cat sitters (highly recommended) but bigger and falling over.

Should I have staked my potatoes? And when can I harvest? Do I wait for flowering?

What did you plant - as in earlies, main crop - do you know the variety?
Getting too big and collapsing is fine - ugly but fine - it just means they are growing well. Often one would add extra soil - “earthing up” which

• Helps support the plant
  • Encourages more spuds to form
  • Stops the spuds going green

Flowering is a good sign that spuds are forming below but there isn’t always a direct relationship. If they are main crop then they need to be in for longer to max out but you can help yourself to a few if you don’t mind literally getting your hands dirty and having a feel around in the bag…

Thanks.

They were Yukon Golds. I had bought them for earlies but hadn’t got them in so planted them in May to see if they would take. The seed potatoes had already begun to get some roots before planting. There were looking beautiful when I left on hols. Not so nice when I got back but looking okay otherwise.

I’ll top them up on the weekend and have a root around to see what’s there.

When I was young dreamt of my holidays with anticipation- now I hope for rain when I am away so everything does not die!

Good luck and show us how they have hopefully turned out!

Well good news is these things are growing - bar the Turks turban what they will become remains to be seen!

Been a bit hit and miss in our garden this year, but just pulled up some reasonably pleasing beetroot for making choccy brownies with later.

The corn is starting to look promising as well - although unfortunately we couldn’t get the second batch to take :frowning: