Archived on 6/5/2022

Bampton Estate, the possibility of a new building next to Standlake Point

kat.standlake.point
4 Jul '17

If you are a resident of Bampton Estate SE23-2XB or a resident of the neighbouring houses:

MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE

Dear council tenants, private residents, leaseholders,

There will be a meeting held on the 6th of July, 2017 (between 4pm -7 pm) close to the ball court. The subject of the discussion will be council’s plans to build new homes on the ball court of Bampton estate. The idea is for all of us to come forward and express our opinion about the possibility of the new development. Nothing has been decided yet and if the majority of residents of our estate says NO to the new development, the project will NOT go ahead – this was confirmed at the last meeting between Bampton Tenants&Residents Association, Lewisham Homes and residents on the 29th of June, 2017 by the community investment officer.

It is important that you come and express your opinion. Make the right choice. Make yourself heard.

Pros and cons of the new development:

PROs:

• More new homes
  • Homes for elderly people (Lewisham Home officer said the new building would be for elderly people)
  • Possibility (but not a guarantee) of new play facilities for children
  • Possibility (not a guarantee) of health facilities for adults (like gym, for example)
  • Add yours…

CONs:

• Trees and grassland go away
  • Half of the space around Standlake Point goes
  • Concrete and brick come instead
  • Playground for children goes away
  • Grass area for picnics goes away
  • Lewisham Homes says, the building is for elderly people, but there is no guarantee that in 10-20 years time Lewisham Council will not bring any tenants or even sell the building
  • The new building is planned for 40-50 new homes (Standlake, Radcot and Newbridge have 40 households each), therefore the new building will be either high (not sure how comfortable elderly people will be in the high building) as the rest of them or stretched along the available space.
  • Residents on the west side of Standlake will loose a nice view outside of their windows
  • The short distance between buildings will cause residents watch each other through the windows
  • Loosing playground may lead to children moving further from home to play where parents are not able to supervise
  • More people, more cars, more crowd
  • Higher demand for limited parking space
  • Children causing disturbance to elderly people, as a result, more complaints and parental reprimands
  • The possibility of rising anti-social behaviour
  • The possibility that value of properties will go down for leaseholders
  • Laying the new foundation for the new building will cause land disturbance which may lead to structural damage of the Standlake block
  • Add yours…
Wynell
4 Jul '17

As a leaseholder my views are reflected inthe list of cons. I am less concerned with the property value this only matters at time of sale, however any reduction in value would be as a consequence of the other points. Over development wherever it occurs is never good for the social environment with 120 households sharing the open space and ball park thats a very small patch of land per flat. A perfect example of inappropriate placement is the failed development on the corner of Gaynesford Avenue.

kat.standlake.point
4 Jul '17

We are at the very good stage now to stop the Council from doing silly things. But if residents do not speak up and keep quiet, it may be (and most likely) considered as agreement with the council’s plans.

Silence means agreement most of the time and authorities get away with a lot of wrong things just because people keep quiet. More people raise thier voices, more chances to change things for the better.

kat.standlake.point
6 Jul '17

Well, the meeting went well…for residents.

Residents came, spoke their opinion, majority were not happy. There will be a petition prepared by my neighbour addressed to Lewisham Council, Lewisham Homes, MP, The minister of housing and an organisation that helps to protect the wild life ( I found out that there are few protected species live in our greeny area). Then few residents of Standlake will walk around all blocks and neighbouring houses to see if residents would like to sign this petition against the new building proposal on the ball court and then we will send to those organisations above mentioned.

Hopefully it will make Lewiham Council and Lewisham Homes to back down. And I believe they will if the majority if us will say NO.

Wynell
7 Jul '17

The old Brent Knoll site in Mayow Road would be ideal for redevelopment with no trees to cut down or wildlife to destroy close to the park so that the intended housing demand for older residents would be close to the park for a constitutional stroll.
Also close to the bus stop. Seems to be abandoned and a dumping ground at present

RachaelDunlop
7 Jul '17

It’s not abandoned. There are caretakers living in it, so I assume someone is paying to keep the site active.

Wynell
7 Jul '17

Well if there are no plans for it then why waste the space build badly needed homes and use a brown field site in preference to removing green space and play areas for flat dwellers who have no other outside space to let children play.

Seems a large site for just a couple of caretakers?

RachaelDunlop
7 Jul '17

Do we know that is the case? It has been empty for quite a long time. Who owns school properties? Is it the council?

Developers put ‘live-in gaurdians’ into sites like this to protect them from squatters and vandalism while waiting for planning permissions etc. Basically people get somewhere to live for a while, and the property owners get on-site staff. I’ve seen the gaurdians going in and out of the old school - looks like a young couple, typical of the people who register to do this sort of thing. It suggests to me that a property developer has bought the property already, if they have arranged live-in gaurdians.

Winnie
8 Jul '17

Please would you consider calling on residents of Bampton Road and Inglemere Road. Our kids use the ball court and we all agree with the above points. We attended the meeting to show our feelings and would happily sign the petition. Thank you. Also there are woodpeckers that live in the big trees!

kat.standlake.point
8 Jul '17

Yes, we will come over. Once the letter is ready, I will announce the date or dates when active residents will be walking around. We will definitely make sure that we are all heard by the people with decision making powers.

Unfortunately Lewisham Council and Lewisham Homes did not think it through and certainly their attitude causes concerns. When talking with one of the representatives at this meeting on 6th of July, I was under impression that everything had already been decided and they just expected people to choose details of the project. People’s opinion if they want the building on the ball court or not was not important for them. The land belongs to the council, they will build anything they want there - that was the essence of her words. Well no, the land is public land and subsidised by public, we all pay council tax that allows the council to buy land or build houses, or any other social and public causes, so we have the power of our voice in the decision what to do with the public land and we will certainly make sure that we are heard.

Yes, there are woodpeckers, barn owl and deer horn beetles live in this area. We have a resident who has good knowledge what kind of protected species live here. He will help us out to list them.

Thank you for your help and support!

kat.standlake.point
12 Jul '17

Dear council tenants, private tenants, leaseholders,

As you know, there is a proposal to build new housing on the ball court of Bampton Estate by Lewisham Council. We have recently had a meeting with Lewisham Homes outside the blocks where we had an opportunity to express our opinion about the possibility of the new building. It looked that a lot of residents who attended the meeting strongly disagreed with the Council’s proposal. To ensure that the disagreement of those residents is heard as much as the rest of those with different opinion and ideas, it was decided to prepare an official letter that expresses the objection to the proposed building plans on the ball court of Bampton Estate. The letter will be brought to the attention of those who have decision-making powers - the Mayor of London, the Mayor of Lewisham, Perry Vale Assembly, Senior Managers of Lewisham Homes, the Minister of Housing, MP, wildlife organisations, press and others who can help us to protect our unique and lovely neighbourhood. There will be a date or dates announced when active residents of Bampton Estate will be walking around with the letter giving an opportunity to everyone on Bampton Estate and from neighbouring houses and roads to sign the letter in the support of the disagreement to build the new building on the ground of the ball court. We will ensure that our voice is heard.

RJM
14 Jul '17

It’s not just developers who get in property guardians, my former local govt employers got them for a closed library building. I’d guess that it still belongs to Lewisham, but would like to know more about what’s going to happen to it!

RachaelDunlop
14 Jul '17

That would make sense, if Lewisham haven’t sold it yet they’ll want to protect the value somewhat by getting in guardians.

Does seem odd that such a prime piece of real estate has been left for so long.

kat.standlake.point
4 Aug '17

Hi all

Just a quick update. Yesterday we had a meeting with Lewisham Homes organised by Bampton TRA. There was a developement projects representative with a summary of the information gathered at the meeting on 6th of July. When we looked at the summary, there was not highlighted that residents strongly disagreed with the proposal to build a new building on the ball court. It is getting more and more clear that Lewisham Homes and Lewisham Council will go ahead with the building plans no matter what the residents think and want.

I had a very disgusting feeling about Lewisham Homes attitude that our disagreement means nothing to them, they are looking for a quick fix to the housing problem, taking old buildings down that need repairs and replacing them with something bigger and better is not the option because it is costly to temporally rehouse people, taking buildings down, causing disstress to residents of those buildings, etc. It is much easier and quick to actually take a land and build smthing in front of the nose of another people. The disrespect and disregard of those affected people’s opinion and feelings are shocking.

The petition letter will go ahead hopefully very soon. I will also be looking into the ways how to remove Lewisham Homes from managing our Bampton Estate and replace them with other company. I know it sounds unrealistic but it is worth trying, Lewisham Homes is obviousely has a long hand that holds somebody or something in Lewisham Council so they feel that they are untouchable. But so far we have more and more evidence that Lewisham Homes is incompetent, poor standard management company that overcharges significantly for the services and delivering poor quality service at the same time. This overcharging affects leaseholders and Lewisham Council funds where they are getting money from for their services. On the top of that they have no care for residents of the buildings they manage that is dramatically revealed in their intention to build new developement on Bampton Estate through whatever it takes. It is very sad indeed, but it is worth the battle.

kat.standlake.point
4 Aug '17

I have made the following request through the freedom of information act via a website WHATDOTHEYKNOW. That may give us a picture of what us happening.

Dear Lewisham Homes,

I would like, please, to request full information, unedited in anyway or form, and that includes all internal communications between Lewisham Homes employees of all ranks and levels and external communications between Lewisham Homes employees of all ranks and levels and Lewisham Council in respect to the project/planning to build new homes on Bampton Estate, SE23-2XB, including the ball court area from the beginning of time when the Bampton Estate site was proposed as an opportunity for the new developement. I would like to have full information, including drafts, plans, suggestions, residents feedback, marketing plans, reports of success, failures, obstacles, proposals, emails, letters and anything in connection with the new building plans/proposals on Bampton Estate.

Thank you very much.

Yours faithfully,

kat.standlake.point
11 Aug '17

Hi all,

I have spoken today with a planning officer in Lewisham Council. I explained him the situation with new building plans on our estate and Lewisham Homes ignoring our opinion. They dont know anything about plans by the sound of it. I told him that the estate green are is a valuable community space and lots of residents dont want to loose it plus lots of old trees and protected species. He gave me names and emails of the planing area manager in Lewisham Council for our area, conservation officer and tree officer for our area. He said to send them email so they know and have our concerns and disagreement on their records.

This guy i spoke to said that we should not worry, it is a long-winded proccess and our disagreement will be heard, we just need to voice our opinion and respond during consultation process if any occurs. Got some reassurance feeling from him that if we all of us disagree, there wont be any building actions.

I will send emails to those people today and encourage you all to do so as well, pls mention as much as possible of everything why the green community space is so valuable to us:

planning@lewisham.gov.uk - for the attention of Michael Johnson /planning area manager, South

angela.haywood@lewisham.gov.uk - Angela Haywood, conservation officer

valerie.harris@lewisham.gov.uk - tree officer

Kat

kat.standlake.point
11 Aug '17

Just to show you what we are fighting for:

Wynell
12 Aug '17

Gardens and green space in urban areas can improve the wellbeing and quality of life of people living there, says a University of Exeter study.
Using data from 5,000 UK households over 17 years, researchers found that living in a greener area had a significant positive effect.
The findings could help to inform urban planners and have an impact on society at large.

There are many studies showing that green spaces enhance the urban environment leading to reduced stress and aiding general well being, these are not limited to the UK with similar findings in the US, Japan and New Zealand

kat.standlake.point
15 Aug '17

For the attention of
Michael Johnson (planning area manager, South), Lewisham Council
Angela Haywood, conservation officer, Lewisham Council
Valerie Harris, tree officer, Lewisham Council

Site of concern: Bampton Estate SE23-2XB, Standlake Point, Radcote Point, Newbridge Point. Photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/da4ggriz7exd3s6/AADKSPjrPBWjpyDpLFGpeOmJa?dl=0

Dear Mr Johnson, Ms Haywood, Ms Harris,

My name is Y. K. and I live in XXX. I am XXX.

I am writing in hope that you can help residents of Bampton Estate to protect our green area that surrounds our blocks.

Lewisham Homes has recently announced that it is planning to build new housing on the ball court of our estate. It issued a letter which was followed by a meeting between residents of Bampton Estate and Lewisham Homes (Emma Gittus, regeneration project manager, and her team) on 6th of July, 2017. This is their plans: https://hq3v243wqqe3dgv253uelk9o-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Bampton-Estate-Public-Consultation-Boards-July-2017.pdf

A lot of residents came to this meeting and strongly expressed the disagreement to the plans to build anything on the green area around the estate and that includes the ball court. Residents are against any new building projects on our estate because:

1. The green area around the blocks including the ball court is valuable green space for residents and people to rest, have picnics and children to play. It is regularly used by children from the blocks and neighbouring streets. The ball court is regularly used by children to play football and basketball. The grass area is used by people to rest and to spend the time out.

2. The green space of our estate has lots of trees, some of them are probably as old as the blocks, some of them are numbered.

3. The trees on our estate are home for protected species: 3 types of woodpeckers, barn owls, stag beetles and invitive species: parakeets.

4. The green space was designed in the past when these three blocks were built for the residents of the blocks to use and enjoy because these block residents do not have gardens due to the nature of the buildings. Our estate is mainly family orientated, there are lots of families with children.

5. There are other issues such as blocks structural safety (some Standlake Point flats have cracks in the walls and ceilings), land subsidence which is currently being questioned by a member of the public https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/bampton_estate_and_subsidence_2

Listing all above, I would also like to mention that there is a shortage of green space in London, the latter is very beneficial to the mental and physical well-being of people (conclusion of some studies http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22214070 , http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/POST-PN-0538/POST-PN-0538.pdf ) and encouraged by UK government to protect those green spaces and areas.

The green area surrounding Bampton estate blocks should and has to be protected. Can you please help us to protect our green neighbourhood from Lewisham Homes’ intentions to take this green space away from us. I am under the impression (and some of the residents will probably agree with me) that Lewisham Homes will force their building plans disregarding and disrespecting the opinion and wishes of the majority of Bampton residents who disagree with this green space to be used for building new housing. Lewisham Homes is looking for a “quick fix” to housing problems but their ways are not acceptable. There are lots of old buildings like Milverton House on Ardley close (junction with Perry Hill) which has to be taken down and replaced with something bigger and better. Or the site of what used to be old Brent Knoll School on 69 Mayo road that can be demolished and new housing can be built instead. There are certainly other options available and Lewisham Homes’ “grab and build” approach is completely unacceptable.

The residents of Bampton Estate and neighbouring streets would like to voice the disagreement to use Bampton green area with the ball court for any building projects before any consultation process begins. Are there any forms we can fill-in and sign so our voice is heard? Please help us to protect our green neighbourhood from Lewisham Homes’ disrespectful, unconsidered and harsh approach to meet “housing targets”.

Waiting for your reply,

Kind regards
Y. K.
15/08/2017

kat.standlake.point
15 Sep '17

Morning all, just letting you know that our petition letter where we object to the building plans on our estate which were proposed by Lewisham Homes is going ahead next Monday. There will be three of us knocking on your doors in the evenings(or days) offering the opportunity to put your signatures to support the objection to the building plans.

If you wish to join us, and please do so if you can, please let me know so we can coordinate the time of the walk-arounds. We will start around 19:30 in the evening and will try to cover as many flats as possible. It will be a matter of many days to ensure we give the opportunity to everyone, who does not want any new buildings on our estate, to support the objection with the signature. The objection letter is addressed to the project manager of Lewisham Homes and Perry Vale Councillors. This petition will be then addressed to local MPs, Mayor of Lewisham, Mayor of London, Housing Minister, press and anybody who has powers to help us stop this unacceptable, unconsidered and harsh approach of Lewisham Homes “to meet housing targets”.

See you all soon!

Kat

kat.standlake.point
21 Sep '17

We will be gathering again this Sunday coming and some of us will be coming to Bampton road and Inglemere road. We will start at 4pm Sunday. Look for people with clipboards in their hands!

starman
21 Sep '17

Have you ever received a response to your letters or FOI request?

kat.standlake.point
21 Sep '17

I only received a response from Lewisham planning, saying that they cannot log in my objection because there is no application submitted yet. They advised me to subscribe to the new applications notification. Conservation and tree officers did not respond, I had to call them. Spoke to a tree officer, he said they cannot advocate for us and advised to contact local councillors and MP. I also sent my letter to the Ministry of local goverment and community - no response from them either. I am also waiting STILL for the infornation disclosure from Lewisham Homes about their building plans on our estate. They requested another 20 days to respond at the end of August, which run out yesterday and still no info. I will be contacting them again next week. It feels like us against them but I am refusing to give up.

kat.standlake.point
21 Sep '17

What is the most infuriating is Lewisham Council is selling their housing stocks and sites and takes away space from people who need the space to build new housing!!! What kind of STUPID management is THAT???!

kat.standlake.point
23 Sep '17

Good afternoon! Our neighbours were visiting Inglemere and Bampton roads for the past days. Please let me know if you missed the opportunity to sign.

kat.standlake.point
23 Sep '17

UPD: We have over 100 households supported the objection, including Bampton households and from neighbouring streets. We still have more to collect.

What is remarkable is a lot of houses from neighbouring streets put their signatures that only shows that Bampton green space and ball court are very much used not only by Bampton residents but by local people too.

Thank you all for your help and support.:bouquet:

anon5422159
23 Sep '17

Good work @kat.standlake.point :+1:

kat.standlake.point
23 Sep '17

Hi Chris! Thank you for your support. :hibiscus:

I would like to metion, and it is important, that there are more people involved in this objecton activity and working in the background to make our voice heard. It is fantastic that our community is live and active and people support each other in serious matters.

Winnie
23 Sep '17

:information_source: personal details redacted by moderator

kat.standlake.point
25 Sep '17

Got a reply today from the Ministry for local government and communities:

Yxxxxx Kxxxxxx

Thank you for your email of 31 August about the above site and I apologise for the delay in replying.

I have contacted Lewisham Council today and understand that to date no actual planning application has been submitted. As this is the case, I am sure you will appreciate that I cannot comment on the merits of the proposal since to do so could prejudice the position of the Council in the event that a planning application is submitted. I must also be careful to avoid prejudicing the Secretary of State’s position since the application could come before him formally in the future.

Once you have established that an application for development is submitted, you should in the first instance raise any concerns with the Council. However, if you consider that this is an application which should be determined by the Secretary of State following a public inquiry, you may write to us at this office setting out the application details and the planning reasons why you wish the Secretary of State to consider call-in of the proposal. You should bear in mind that it is the Secretary of State’s policy to be very selective about calling in applications and, in general, this will only be where issues of more than local importance arise.

I am attaching a House of Commons guidance note about the call in process that you may find useful.

Regards

Karen

Karen Partridge

Planning Casework Manager

Planning Casework Unit

5 St Philip’s Place, Colmore Row, Birmingham B3 2PW

Department for Communities and Local Government

karen.partridge@communities.gsi.gov.uk T:0303 444 8030

PCU general enquiries: pcu@communities.gsi.gov.uk T: 0303 444 8050

Visit DCLG on GOV.UK www.gov.uk/dclg Follow us on Twitter: @CommunitiesUK

JaneFH
25 Sep '17

Thanks for knocking on our door and giving us the chance to ojject to this proposal . We are neighbours of the Estate and am really worried that Lewisham Homes would think that this is a reasonable proposal . It will change the character and environment totally and remove a valuable comunity space and play area . It outrageous , I see the children playing there all the time . I suspect that LH have no obligation to consult beyond the Estate at the moment but your petition ishould send them a clear message that they will have to fight local residents the whole way

kat.standlake.point
25 Sep '17

Thank you very much for your support! :bouquet:

We have some thoughts that Lewisham Homes scared to go beyond Bampton Estate asking opinion from neighbouring houses and streets because they know people will strongly object and it will ruin their shady plans to make Council grant them permition to build. It will be easy for Lewisham Homes to ensure that many people do not know so when asked by Council, they can easily say - no one said anything, so no one disagrees. In their world, silence is agreement.

Ernest_J_Thomason
26 Sep '17

Lewisham Homes proposed a couple of years ago to built a new tower block of 7-14 storey high on the Forest Estate (Eliot Bank & Knapdale Close which would be 100% private and the money made from the sale of the flats would also be used to built social housing on another part of the estate on another community green and car parking spaces and disused garages, I set up Facebook campaign group for the estate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaveEliotBankCommunityGreenSpaces/
We had at the moment stalled the development and also now set up the Forest Estate Residents Association
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Forestestateresidentsassocation/

JaneFH
26 Sep '17

I am sure you are correct about that .

kat.standlake.point
26 Sep '17

It looks like Lewisham Council with Lewisham Homes are trying every single possibility to grab space for something to build stepping over people heads. It is just awful.

kat.standlake.point
6 Oct '17

The majority of information that I had requested to see have been rejected to be disclosed because it is not in public interest. The local government and their managing agent on their behalf against people? Fantastic. Can I stop paying council tax because it is not used in my interest?

HannahM
9 Oct '17

There is a new proposal to build on the Knapdale Close end of the Forest Estate. We are neighbours and got a letter from Lewisham Homes last week about it.

kat.standlake.point
10 Oct '17

"Dear Customer Relations Team,
Thank you for your reply. I will examine your response and will come back to you if further clarification is needed. However, I noticed when checking briefly your response that some of the requested information was rejected for disclosure because the disclosure is not in the public inteterest. I do disagree with you decision, it is in the public interest to know about any building plans and projects on the estate and therefore will take this matter further to my local MP.

Yours sincerely,

"Y. K. "

—--------------------

"Dear Ms K. ,

Thank you for your email.

If you disagree with our decision, the next step is for us to conduct internal review for this FOI.

Please find link regarding ICO guidance and let me know if you wish to proceed to this stage.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/offici

Kind Regards

J. B.

Senior Customer Relations Officer
T: 0203 889 0646

Old Town Hall, Catford Road, London SE6 4RU
www.lewishamhomes.org.uk

Wynell
10 Oct '17

Sorry you must be under the impression that you fund the employees of the council and public services via your taxes!
If the council were to consult or consider the opinions of the public whom they serve where would that lead!:zipper_mouth_face:

kat.standlake.point
10 Oct '17

I do not certainly fund the council to build larks under my nose. :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

kat.standlake.point
20 Oct '17

Hi all who is following this thread.

The update on the Bampton estate building plans:

We have managed to collect signatures in support of our objection from 101 households from 3 Points plus neighbouring houses and streets on the top of that. The target was 80+1 from the Points to have the majority (that is why it took longer than anticipated). We have already been in touch with our local MP - Ellie Reeves and have a case opened. We will be arranging an appointment to show the evidence - our signed objection to the building plans plus few more complants with evidence about Lewisham Homes failures in other areas (finances, management, contract obligations compliance ) so it can be dealt all at once. I will keep you updated as we progress.

Kat

Anotherjohn
20 Oct '17

You’re a formidable campaigner Kat - good luck to you!

starman
21 Oct '17

MP as in member of parliament

kat.standlake.point
21 Oct '17

Yes, sorry, it is MP, not counillor. The plan was to get in touch with local councillors in the beginning, but one of the residents got in touch with Ellie and was accepted and offered an appointment to bring all information/evidence we have. So we are going to MP and I am glad we sre as the problem with building and how the managing agent on behalf of Council handling it and doing it plus what kind of managing agent it is will not stay inside Lewisham, the information will go out and all “dodgy” things will not go unnoticed. I will correct my post. Thank you for noticing.

kat.standlake.point
21 Oct '17

Thank you very much for your support :bouquet:.
I am only the tip of the iceberg, there are people who are working on the background to make it happen, to bring good changes to our community. In fact, one of participants on this forum does a lot of writing and communications to Lewisham Homes and officials, ladies - my neighbours did a lot of walking to collect signatures, one girl, my neighbour, walked around until she got responses from all households in all three blocks. Where is a will, there is a way, but it can not be done by one person. So if people have problems in their community, they have to come together to deal with them, together we can do a lot.

kat.standlake.point
22 Oct '17

The letter to Lewisham Homes complaint department has been sent today with signatures attached (and 3 local councillors) :

Bampton Estate residents and residents of neighbouring houses and streets have signed calling for the planned building to be stopped.

Without prejudice

Site of concern: Bampton Estate including the green recreational area and the childrens ball court. SE23-2XB.

Dear Sir, Madam,

We residents of Bampton Estate and residents of neighbouring houses and streets are stating that we strongly disagree with Lewisham Homes plans to build new housing on the ball court area and on any green area of Bampton Estate and with any possible future plans to use Bampton Estate and its green space including the ball court for any building projects.
Few of the many reasons for our categorical disagreement are the green space is an important factor in people’s physical and mental well-being and encouraged by UK government to be protected, the green space of Bampton Estate is much used by residents and children of the estate, neighbouring streets and people passing by to rest, have picnics, sunbath and play. The ball court is very much used by children of Bampton Estate, neighbouring streets and school to play football and basketball - it is safe and close by. The green space of Bampton Estate was well designed so people of Standlake Point, Radcote Point and Newbridge Point can use and enjoy it as the residents of these blocks do not have their own gardens due to the nature of the buildings. The trees, some of them as old as the buildings, are home for protected species: 3 types of woodpeckers, barn owls, stag beetles and invitive species. Green space and trees are very limited in London and must be encouraged and protected. Other reasons are: very limited residents parking space and very limited space for emergency access including the Fire Brigade engines; raise in anti-social behaviour if children are deprived of their playground and space; structural safety of the blocks - some flats in Standlake Point block have cracks in walls and ceilings; underground waters - the neighbouring to Standlake Point house experiences flooding because of the underground waters so a special pump had to be installed to keep the problem at bay, taking trees down may result in landslide and flooding of the blocks’ foundation.

Our green space on Bampton Estate is a very beautiful unique and dear to all its residents and neighbours. Under no circumstances should any building project be allowed, depriving us of recreational facilities.

Residents of Bampton Estate, neighbouring houses and streets.
Signatures attached.
Year 2017
Petition-signatures.pdf (1.5 MB)

kat.standlake.point
30 Oct '17

UPD

Good morning Customer Relations Team,

I have forwarded the objection letter and signatures from our estate and neighbouring houses and streets in support of it to your department last week but have not heard from you anything since the autoreply. Can you please confirm that the letter and the signatures have been passed to the Lewisham Homes project management team and its manager Emma and its safely receiced.

I trust you will take this matter seriousely as the objection to the building plans on our estate will be taken further to MP, Mayor of Lewisham, Mayor of London, various state departments and non-profit organisations, press, the local councilors have already been informed and given the copies of the objection sinatures and any decision-making bodies we can possibly reach to.

Igonring the voice of the majority of Bampton residents and residents of the neighbouring houses and streets that clearly states that we do not want our Bampton estate used for building anything on it, avoiding communications, not giving full information disclosure on the building plans will likely result in seriouse conflict between the local public and Lewisham Homes. Neither Lewisham Homes, nor us, the residents, want this conflict to happen. I will therefore insist that Lewisham Homes will stop any planning to build anything on the site concerned and please confirm that the planning department received the objection letter with our signatures.

Kind regards,
Kat
Standlake Point

kat.standlake.point
30 Oct '17

Dear Residents

Thank you for your feedback on the proposals for the Bampton Estate. Lewisham Homes is currently in the process of selecting a preferred option for the site for new council homes for older people in need of better accommodation. As some of our residents already are aware, Lewisham Homes project team would like to come and talk through more detail of the preferred option, once it has been selected. I see from your comments that you are concerned about the loss of amenity space and play for the neighbourhood. The re-provision of this amenity on the estate is something that we are working on in the preferred option.

At least two weeks’ in advance of that engagement event, we will send out a letter for Lewisham Homes residents on Bampton Estate inviting them to the event. We don’t yet have a date for this, as we are still reviewing the potential options but hope that this will happen in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, we would ask for your patience and we hope to be able to come and discuss the Bampton Estate plans with you soon.

If you would like to get in touch to discuss further please contact the development team on 0203 889 0654, alternatively you can email us at development@lewishamhomes.org.uk

Regards

Alys Exley-Smith

Wynell
30 Oct '17

What is the point of a consultation (the second) when it is clear the residents are vehemently against the loss of amenity land and facilities.
Is a petition of over 90% of affected households not a statement or is it a case of more presentations will change minds?

More to the point who is paying for Lewisham Homes to provide the onsite meetings, with staff travel costs and possibly overtime, when the courtesy of replying to the residents has been disregarded.

kat.standlake.point
31 Oct '17

I guess that where £40 per hour caretaking and £54 for a dead bird are coming from.

kat.standlake.point
31 Oct '17

UPD

3 local councillors John Paschoud, Councillor Alan Till I wrote to have not responded, they have not even acknowledged the receipt of my email and the signed petition.Gmail - Bampton Estate, SE23-2XB, building plans.pdf (52.2 KB)

kat.standlake.point
11 Nov '17

Morning all, just an update on our progress.

Just came from the meeting with Susan Wise, local councillor for Perry Vale ward, brought our signatures and email objection to LH to her (i did not have any response from all three councillors so i decided to deliver our objection in person).

Brief summary of what we spoke about:

• They (councillors) received our objection letter and signatures.
  • They are on the case and were in touch with LH and Council.
  • LH told her that smth would be discussed at TRA meeting coming.
  • She said to wait and attend TRA and come back to her with the outcome - if any mutial agreement is reached or if we still object. She will go from there.
  • I mentioned to her that we dont object housing for elderly but options available OUTSIDE Bampton estate like old Brent Knoll School on Mayow road, also that we are looking for ways to register our space as town green.
  • The three blocks of our estate are one of her favourite buildings by the way in the ward (so we have some chance to save it from building…hopefuly IMHO) .

So the next step is to attend the coming TRA and confirm our objection to LH project team who are also attending by the look of it. Then we feed our thoughts and objection to Mrs Wise and will go from there.

kat.standlake.point
23 Nov '17

UPD

Hi all, John and myself came from the meeting with MP Ellie Reeves on 18/11/2017:

Outcome:

1. They have our petition, our letter to LH, our letter to local councillors.
  2. We told her about the meeting with LH in July, about what Lewisham Homes said and done , what our position is, about the issue addressed to the local councillors, about the TRA meeting we will be attending as suggested by Councillor Susan Wise.
  3. She said we are doing the right things, local councillors are the main people to work with as they can address issues directly to the planning department in the Council.
  4. She will write to the local Councilors and LH advising that residents are to be properly consulted.
  5. we did say that our green space is not just the ball court only, it is space that not only residents use, but neighbouring houses and streets, so it is not about the ballcourt only.

Now, below is my understanding of the situation and the game (and it is the game we are in now) :

We must go through all stages of consultation process, we cannot just say ‘no’ and that is it. We have to hear what they say and respond what we think about it - this what I read between the lines when meeting Susan Wise and Ellie. So basically, they will be throwing at us solutions to reasons we are saying ‘no’ to, we have to come up with reasons why the solutions are not acceptable. Simply saying ‘no’ to them wont work. Ellie and her assistant were puzzled how 50 unit housing can be suitable for elderly people and how the massive building can be squeezed into that little space.

We were asked about the alernative play area suggested by LH, i told Ellie about the play ground by the road. My point to her was the current place of the ball court is safe because surrounded by residential houses and if something happens to children , people will quickly notice and help/assist, where as playing by the road may cause accidents if children kick the ball on the road and run to collect it. Now, if the play area is suggested to be in the middle between blocks or next to Newbridge Point, think about reasons why those places are not suitable, any issues or troubles they will cause. If they offer smaller sizes play area, what would be reasons to object to that and so on. It has to be all of our collective thinking and support against theirs. Make sure all objection points recorded by yourselves in your notes and in TRA minutes.

We mentioned about old Brent Knoll School on Mayow road, it can be redeveloped for housing without the need to take it down. And Ellie, and Susan Wise carefully avoided the discussion of the site as alternative as there may be some plans about it. But it is not our problem, the solutions are there, OUTSIDE of Bampton estate.

But Ellie is in the loop now and if we dont get resolution we want, we will be knocking on her door again, and again until we get want we want. But we have to be smart about what we say, our objections points should have as little as possible possiblities of resolution so LH will finally give up.

TRA meeting is on 30th November at 19pm at Forest Hill Methodist Church Normanton St, Forest Hill, London SE23 2DS. Pls attend to voice your objections. Waiting to hear back from you all so we can feed the information to Councillor Susan Wise and MP Ellie Reeves.

Michael
30 Nov '17

Letter received today:

30 November 2017
Dear Resident,
Re: Bampton Estate potential new homes

You may remember we visited the Bampton estate in July to talk about proposals for potential new Council homes on the estate. We have taken some time to look at all the options made in response to these proposals, and are now in a position to come and talk to you again.

We looked at alternative sites on the estate to build potential new homes, and still feel that the ball court area is the best option.

We have been working with the architects to develop designs for how these homes and improved landscaping could look on the estate and would like to talk to you to see what you think. We will show you the alternative options we have considered, and explain why the ball court is our preferred option.

We could re-provide the ball court elsewhere on the estate, and want to know if you feel this is the best play option for residents

We have arranged an event to take place on Thursday 14 December, between 3pm and 7pm.

We will be in the foyer area of Newbridge point

The boards presented at the event will be available to view in the ‘New Build’ section of the Lewisham Home’s website on, or shortly after the event. You can feedback by emailing us development@lewishamhomes.org.uk

Wynell
30 Nov '17

Interestingly some 85% of residents signed a petition saying they were opposed to the development.
So it seems this has been ignored? Or perhaps they have some ideas that will convince people thst another 50 homes, removal of significant numbers of trees and open space, increased pressure on parking and access can be overcome?

kat.standlake.point
1 Dec '17

Yes, got it too. Well, LH asked for war, it will get a war. I will do my utmost to make sure that all its ‘dirty laundry’ will come out not only to public but to the desicion making people. I want to see how people democracy works in reality.

JaneFH
12 Dec '17

hello
Excellent campaigning . I wanted to let you know that as a local resident we did not receive the letter inviting us the the consultation on the 14th. We weren’t told of the plans back in the summer so I called LEWISHAM homes and asked them why they hadn’t contacted the residents of the sourouding area , they said they had .
This time they definitely have not , this is a strategy to limit the objections and I have emailed the department and the project managers to register my views . I even spoke to the project manager in sept who reasured me that all residents would be consulted .
Due to the short notice I can’t attend on the 14th but will reply on line as the plans will be released .
The planed development is enormous and they can’t guarantee that all the trees won’t come down ( as that will only decided after planning and structural review ) . The development takes up every last meter of green space , its disproportional to the rest of the buildings and will obliterate the green space .
They use the idea of this being a development for the elderly to make 'this an emotional issue and to suggest that the number of people with cars and visiting will be less than usual but this is rubish . There will be carers coming and going , nurses . The residents may have there own cars etc . Also LH could decide once they having planning could do what they want .
Interesting what ER says about not just saying no.h
So a development that is smaller , preserves the green space , guarantees the trees and proportional - so basically not the area they have identified.
I also asked for a FOI request and got nothing of any interest .

kat.standlake.point
12 Dec '17

Thank you for your support! :bouquet:

Residents of Standlake prepared flyers to give out to our street neighbours, inviting people to come to the meeting on 14th. They will try to cover as many houses as they can. I contacted Open Spaces Society http://www.oss.org.uk/what-we-do/protecting-open-space/community-asset-and-protecting-open-spaces/ asking to help to protect our green space, still waiting for a rely. I want to initiate the process of registering our space as Town Green. Hopefully Open Spaces Society will help us with this.

There is a single standing house on our estate. The tenant of the house received a letter from LH/Council asking to give the house back in exchange for compensation. Our resident from Standlake saw the letters. LH already decided, the consultation process is just a sham.

Just to clarify, no Ellie, no Susan Wise said it directly, it was what i was reading between the lines during our conversation. Ellie said she would write LH and Councillors ensuring that residents are consulted properly. But it does not look like Lewisham Homes have any respect for any authority or residents. The meeting in the summer was dodgy, only Bampton residents were notified, the majority of residents attended categorically disagreed with the building plans, but nothing was reflected in the summary letter after the meeting. Neighbouring houses were not invited to be consulted, not last time, not this time by the look of it. I asked for full information disclosure on the peoject - the majority of info was not disclosed in public interest. Obviously they are hiding smth and that something is the project that is agreed at the back stage to go ahead with.

JaneFH
12 Dec '17

Hi Kat
I am sure you are correct about this .LH have been tasked to build home and will do that whatever . The council do have a responsibility however and we juatbhae to do everything we can . Just looking at the beautiful trees now . Would be criminal to develop the site . This consultation seems to be entirely cosmetic and the reason why the "ball park "( actually the entire green space let’s face it ) iis the prefered site because it’s the biggest area that they can grab on the Estate and get the most development on.
Thank you to those who distributed the leaflets . You 100 % have our supper and we will visit or neighbours and get them to object on line but keep a copy of the objection as I suspect on line feedback will
Be ignored .

kat.standlake.point
12 Dec '17

If anybody is planning to respond with objection to LH via email, you can copy me in.

kat.standlake.point@gmail.com

I will collect objections and forward them to another active resident who deals with Ellie Reeves. If we can show that LH is ‘dodging’ the game, it will be a bonus for us in this fight.

kat.standlake.point
12 Dec '17

:zap: :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap:

Anyone who is concerned with buildings plans on Bampton Estate, please attend the meeting with Lewisham Homes on the date, time and venue above in quote. IF THERE ARE FORMS TO FILL IN at that meeting, PLEASE FILL IN THE FORMS with your objections (take photos of your objection if you can)

Michael
14 Dec '17

Should be interesting to finally see what they are proposing for this site.
I’ll be going with an open mind and a lot of questions.

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

Thank you Michael! Your attendance will be very much appreciate!

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

Some residents of Standlake put notices on the public board downstairs in our block about building plans on our estate and meeting on the 14th and somebody is taking them down…twice now. Somebody does not want people to know. I wonder WHO doesn’t want people to know.

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

Just to remind that the majority of the block residents, and people from neighbouring houses and streets OBJECT to the building plans:

'Bampton Estate residents and residents of neighbouring houses and streets have signed calling for the planned building to be stopped.

Without prejudice

Site of concern: Bampton Estate including the green recreational area and the childrens ball court. SE23-2XB.

Dear Sir, Madam,

We residents of Bampton Estate and residents of neighbouring houses and streets are stating that we strongly disagree with Lewisham Homes plans to build new housing on the ball court area and on any green area of Bampton Estate and with any possible future plans to use Bampton Estate and its green space including the ball court for any building projects.
Few of the many reasons for our categorical disagreement are the green space is an important factor in people’s physical and mental well-being and encouraged by UK government to be protected, the green space of Bampton Estate is much used by residents and children of the estate, neighbouring streets and people passing by to rest, have picnics, sunbath and play. The ball court is very much used by children of Bampton Estate, neighbouring streets and school to play football and basketball - it is safe and close by. The green space of Bampton Estate was well designed so people of Standlake Point, Radcote Point and Newbridge Point can use and enjoy it as the residents of these blocks do not have their own gardens due to the nature of the buildings. The trees, some of them as old as the buildings, are home for protected species: 3 types of woodpeckers, barn owls, stag beetles and invitive species. Green space and trees are very limited in London and must be encouraged and protected. Other reasons are: very limited residents parking space and very limited space for emergency access including the Fire Brigade engines; raise in anti-social behaviour if children are deprived of their playground and space; structural safety of the blocks - some flats in Standlake Point block have cracks in walls and ceilings; underground waters - the neighbouring to Standlake Point house experiences flooding because of the underground waters so a special pump had to be installed to keep the problem at bay, taking trees down may result in landslide and flooding of the blocks’ foundation.

Our green space on Bampton Estate is a very beautiful unique and dear to all its residents and neighbours. Under no circumstances should any building project be allowed, depriving us of recreational facilities.

Residents of Bampton Estate, neighbouring houses and streets.
Signatures attached.
Year 2017
Petition-signatures.pdf (1.5 MB)

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

Got email from Open Spaces Society:

Dear Kat

Thanks for your email. There may be options open to you for protecting this open space and you might like to look at the relevant pages of our website as follows: town/village green registration, local green space designation, assets of community value. Use of the land would have to meet certain statutory criteria as outlined in the guidance on our website and related information sheets. You can, of course, also object to any planning application that might be made but this would have to be on the basis of material considerations.

As you may know, the Open Spaces Society is a small charity which relies on member subscriptions to fund its work and provide a mandate for action. Members are entitled to a reasonable level of guidance and support from our case officers who are our in-house legal experts on commons, greens, open spaces and public rights of way. Please therefore consider joining OSS if you would like further help or to support us in our work.

Yours sincerely,

I will try to initiate the process to register our green space as Town Green through them.

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

Saw the building project - it is a massive housing complex!!!

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

From the document:

‘After the rst consultation event we have taken on board your feedbacks and developed a strategy for the site identied by the London Borough of Lewisham but we also looked at the feasibility of an alternative site.’

Our feedback was the majority of the block residents, residents of neighbouring houses and streets object wholeheartedly to the building plans.

Our feedback was not taken on board!

Michael
14 Dec '17

52 units with two of the blocks very close to existing buildings (11m at the closest point to Standlake and 16m from houses on Fifield Path)
26 trees to go and be replaced with new trees (none of the trees to be removed are the largest, but some are designated class B)
New ball court on area that is currently sloped, away from the centre of the estate
The road will be opened to through traffic and provide more space for parking
Lots of concern from residents who feel the flats are poorly maintained and the company is only suddenly interested in improving the properties when there is money to be made
And no clue about plans for the blocks on the other side of the estate that are apparently where many of the residents will be moved from. I think there will be a further application for a large development of that site.

Wynell
14 Dec '17

There are so many issues with privacy of the houses surrounding let alone the residents of Standlake Point.
Possibly 52 more cars in a car park that is already overcrowded, with the creation of a rat run for cars and mopeds which makes a quiet cul de sac where children are fairly safe and turns it into a hazard.

If a private developer were to suggest the density of this development it would be rejected. Despite the suggestion it is for social housing it should be noted that units for sale is commented on?

My feeling is that Lewisham Homes have met with a huge rejection by residents in the form of a petition yet have continued to progress the ‘consultation’ is that proof that opinions do not matter or that the provision of a few trees, benches and hedges will sway objectors?

kat.standlake.point
14 Dec '17

We had and have drug dealing problems on our estate, People hide behide the garages or next to them!! Have you seen the propose building complex!! There will be a perfect places behind these new building to do things.

kat.standlake.point
15 Dec '17

From Open Spaces Society wesite:

What are material considerations?
A material consideration is a matter that should be taken into account in deciding a planning application or on an appeal against a planning decision.

Material considerations can include (but are not limited to):

Overlooking/loss of privacy
Loss of light or overshadowing
Parking
Highway safety
Traffic
Noise
Effect on listed building and conservation area
Layout and density of building
Design, appearance and materials
Government policy
Disabled persons’ access
Proposals in the Development Plan
Previous planning decisions (including appeal decisions)
Nature conservation
However, issues such as loss of view, or negative effect on the value of properties are not material considerations.

Michael
15 Dec '17

That seems unlikely for sheltered housing, but it would be a material consideration if they were to build a new block on Northmoor.

Wynell
15 Dec '17

There sre bedsits for elder singles in Shifford path one resident has 3 cars!
Given that the citeria mentioned by Lewisham Homes is over 55’s care to guess how many of that age still driving?

JaneFH
15 Dec '17

I’m just staggered that this has been presented as a reasonable and considered proposal . It’s anything but .
And I agree that there is a lot in the glossy brochure on the website that talks about renevatiom of the Estate and providing this and that . I’m not an estate resident but this strikes me as very dodgy and an attempt to convince the residents with offers of physical improvements when LH should be doing that anyway .

JaneFH
15 Dec '17

I know - It’s massive .
No mention that it’s for old people it seems .

Wynell
15 Dec '17

Be interesting to hear from the big houses on PerryVale who will have 5 storeys at the end of their gardens as well as the privacy concerns for Fyfield Path.

kat.standlake.point
15 Dec '17

That is a good point. Although it is hypothetical, as much as hypothetical the fact that there wont be any cars because it is elderly people homes, we cannot dismiss the fact that there wil be more cars that we dont have space for. Even 25 cars extra is a lot. The bottom line is there is no space for them and i am not certainly prepared to share my part of the car park with newcomers.

kat.standlake.point
15 Dec '17

Talking about improvements and that everything has been decided on the project with consultation being just a sham, I and another leasehoder were meeting Lewisham Homes people regarding the caretaking issues in our block (it is another story that I will unveil in my other thread in due course).

Anyway, one of the guys we met at that meeting wondered about our opinion on the communal rubbish bin enclosures (they look awful now

). We said, ‘oh yah, we wanted, thank you that is great’ . He said that they are currently looking for contractors/dealing with a contractor on this matter. We were like, ‘oh great, can we also have our side canopies enclosed as well as people usually urinate there’ (and LH does not bother to wash there and it stinks

). He said he would look to see if he can incorporate that… Adding nicely that all that enclosure wont cost anything to us as leaseholders. We did not think where that was coming from until I saw the project plans on the building and here we are, the bin enclosures on the plan!

(bottom right corner of the screenshot)

That where no cost to leaseholders is coming from! It is a part of the project!! The fact is they are already looking for/talking to contractors to do it.

The building has been decided, by the look of it, disregarding our opinions. Why would you start arranging contractors if you dont know if the project will be approved? Wasting time and public monies on the project that has no guarantee of approval? Or the approval is actually guaranteed?

JaneFH
15 Dec '17

I suspected as much - it all feels like a done deal . Just makes me feel more determined

kat.standlake.point
15 Dec '17

I am not giving up either))).

Winnie
17 Dec '17

We came to the meeting as we feel very strongly about loss of green space, beautiful trees, woodpeckers,etc as well as the fact our area simply cannot sustain even more traffic and people. We were met by a very brusque architect and forceful bordering on rude woman from Lewisham who basically kept repeating the fact that Lewisham has 10,000 people in temporary accommodation and they have to make choices. When we mentioned traffic and parking affecting the neighbouring roads they kept saying it would be older people who wouldn’t have cars. On the plans they show allocated parking for the new units on Bampton road and on Ffifield Path. When we said this is just the road she quickly changed the subject. We were made to feel very uncomfortable by all the people from Lewisham, as if by rejecting more people in an already crowded area, somehow we are snobs or classist or something. Horrible experience. We did fill in forms but not sure I feel confident that they will be properly used.

Wynell
17 Dec '17

I have walked along the adjoining roads to the proposed development at seversl different times. I have counted between 2 & 4 vacant slots that one could park a car in. Completely debunking the Lewisham Homes premise that additional parking is available.
As previously mentioned over 55’s do drive and own cars, their is no mention of the loss of the row of garages currently in use on the Bampton estate? Are the cars within these going to disappear or will they occupy the newly created parking spaces!
Perhaps Lewisham Homes will issue an edict thst residents of the new build will be prohibited from owning cars?

If Lewisham are so concerned about housing, what about the old Brent Knoll school site in Mayow road? Close to Sydenham near a bus stop and the park for elderly people to enjoy.
Also in the comments they say units for sale yet to be confirmed? Surely selling homes goes against housing those in genuine need? With 10,000 in temporary accomodation selling homes is the last thing that should be under consideration?
Perhaps the question should be would the architect and the councillors like to live on the estate or better still is there green space near their homes that could also be used for additional homes?

kat.standlake.point
17 Dec '17

If 10,000 people in Lewisham are in temp accommodation, who’s fault is that? Ours? Are we the ones that manage the borough? Who is in charge of the plans and public money? What the local government and local councillors, or who occupied those posts for years, have been doing so far that the situation reached that bad level? Why ordinary residents, who are the taxpayers, have to pay for local government mistakes and mismanagement that resulted in 10,000 people in temp.accomodation?

Can representatives of the local government comment on that please.

They were told on many occasion that there are plenty of opportunities:

• old Brent Knoll School on Mayow road
  • freshly rejected gas works (huge site for housing blocks)
  • Milverton block (the block opposite the gas works)

Why they have to destroy our beautiful green space?

kat.standlake.point
17 Dec '17

I have just sent an email to 19 Lewisham Councilors including Deputy Mayor.

"Dear Lewisham Councillors,

My name is Kat (full name xxx) and I am a resident of Standlake Point block on Bampton Estate, SE23-2XB since 2001, I am also a leaseholder of the flat x,Standlake Point since 2007.
I am very sorry to trouble you all but we are looking for help in our local community matter.
Lewisham Homes are currently planning to build additional housing on our Estate (location: Bampton Estate, Windrush Lane, Forest Hill, SE23-2XB) https://hq3v243wqqe3dgv253uelk9o-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Bampton-Public-Consultation-Boards-December-2017.pdf

The Lewisham Homes project team held meetings with Bampton residents twice – one in the summer when residents attended expressed their strong disagreement with building plans on our estate, and another one on 14th of December 2017 where residents attended felt they were not heard despite strong objection to the building plans. It feels that the building plans will go ahead despite a very strong protest and resistance from the majority of the blocks residents - residents from over 100 households out of 120 from all three blocks signed the objection petition, and residents of neighbouring houses and streets, who also signed the objection petition – please see attached. We have also asked for help our three local councillors - John Paschoud, Alan Till and Susan Wise, local MP Ellie Reeves, whom we submitted our objection petition to and Department for Communities and Local Government, but it seems nothing stops Lewisham Homes. The green space of our estate with the ballcourt is a very valuable community asset, it is used by the residents and children of the blocks, neighbouring houses and streets, children from the neighbouring school.
Lewisham Homes force its building plans disrespecting and disregarding the opinion of the Bampton residents.
It says in their last project document that:
“After the first consultation event we have taken on board your feedbacks”

Our feedback was a very strong objection to the building plans on our estate that was confirmed in the objection petition, signed by the estate residents and residents of neighbouring houses and streets, and submitted to Lewisham Homes (please see attached). Our feedback was that we object to any building on our estate. We want our green space, our ball court, our trees, our grass, our space remained as it is now, untouched. We are not against building new housing but it should be done outside of our estate. There are a lot of options available – old Brent Knoll School site on Mayow road, old Bell Green Gas Works site that has been recently rejected for retail development, old tall block on Ardley close and Perry Hill. There are other options available outside our estate that won’t have such negative impact on people’s lives. Building on our estate is not acceptable. Please help us to stop Lewisham Homes plans to destroy our lovely community neighbourhood - a very valuable community asset that is very dear to all of us.

Please see attachments for more details.

Yours sincerely,
Kat
xxx"

Gmail - (no subject).pdf (121.7 KB)

kat.standlake.point
19 Dec '17

‘Officers would therefore like to progress two alternative sets of proposals for the Bampton estate: new Council development on the vacant land which could happen regardless and then also a potential wider regeneration scheme with L&Q. Officers intend to select an architect to develop the proposals for the vacant land.’ Housing Led Regeneration.pdf (133.4 KB)

anon10646030
19 Dec '17

Isn’t that plan off the table when they confirmed that the redevelopment is off the table and the houses on Whitney and shifford get refurbished instead?

JaneFH
20 Dec '17

News from Perry Vale - visits to the houses and flats on Perry Vale to let them know about the " consultation ". Not one household knew anything about the proposal and had not been contacted by LEWISHAM homes this time or back in he summer . The good news is that all so far are going to oppose the plans

kat.standlake.point
20 Dec '17

We already have plans of our further actions. I will publish them in due course.

WE ARE NOT GIVING UP!

kat.standlake.point
26 Feb '18

Sent to Lewisham planning department:

Tree Preservation Order request and local Town Green application/ Bampton Estate, Forest Hill, SE23-2XB

Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to put forward a request to make Tree Preservation Order for all trees on Bampton Estate, Forest Hill, SE23-2XB.

We have over 140 trees on our estate. The majory of them are mature trees and as old as the the blocks on the estate. They are an intrinsic part of amenity that local and neighbouring communities enjoy and value very much. They are main contributors to the local landscape beauty, they are also home for protective wildlife species. They are at risk of being cut down wilfully.

I would also like to make an application for the green open space, including the ball court, of our estate to be given status local Town Green. It matches all criteria required for the application:

• the green space is in reasonably close proximity to the community it serves
  • the green area is demonstrably special to a local community and holds a particular local significance, for example because of its beauty, historic significance, recreational value (including as a playing field), tranquillity or richness of its wildlife
  • the green area concerned is local in character and is not an extensive tract of land.
    (From National Planning Policy Framework).

I am currently in process of collecting support information and would like my application request noted and taken into account for any current or future decisions please.

Kind regards,
Kat
Member of Open Spaces Society
Resident and leaseholder,
Standlake Point
Forest Hill, SE23-2XB

anon5422159
26 Feb '18

Go @kat.standlake.point :+1: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

kat.standlake.point
26 Feb '18

Hi everyone,

I really need your help!

I received information that there is a meeting planned for 28th of Feb. It will be Mayor and Cabinet meeting where various building projects, including ours on Bampton Estate, will be discussed and decisions made to allow those projects to go further to planning applications.

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=139&MId=4650

I will be writing an email to Mayor and Cabinet before the meeting takes place asking for the decision on the project on our estate to be stopped and objected to. I recommend every one of us, showing our solidarity and determination, write an email to Mayor and cabinet before the meeting takes place asking them to object to the project on our estate. We will try everything to stop this project and if our voices/our emails can be heard before the important decision is made, we should take this chance to express our objections.

Mayor and Cabinet: http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=139

Kevin Flaherty (Secretary)
Sir Steve Bullock steve.bullock@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Alan Smith cllr_alan.smith@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Chris Best cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Kevin Bonavia cllr_kevin.bonavia@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Janet Daby Cllr_janet.daby@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Joe Dromey cllr_joe.dromey@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Damien Egan damien.egan@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Paul Maslin cllr_paul.maslin@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Joan Millbank cllr_joan.millbank@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Rachel Onikosi cllr_rachel.onikosi@lewisham.gov.uk

Kat
Standlake Point
Bampton Estate

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

For the attention of Sir Steve Bullock, Councillor Alan Smith, Councillor Chris Best, Councillor Kevin Bonavia , Councillor Janet Daby, Councillor Joe Dromey, Councillor Damien Egan, Councillor Paul Maslin, Councillor Joan Millbank, Councillor Rachel Onikosi

Cc: Councillors John Paschoud, Councillor Alan Till, Councillor Susan Wise.

Cc: Karen Partridge, Planning Casework Manager, Planning Casework Unit, Department for Communities and Local Government

Cc: Ellie Reeves, Local MP, case ref. ER1236

Cc: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Cc: Open Spaces Society

Cc: Forest Hill Society

Cc: London Wildlife Trust

Dear Mayor, Councillors

My name is Kat and I am a local resident of Bampton Estate since 2001, I am also a leaseholder of a flat on Bampton Estate since 2007, I am also a member of Open Spaces Society.

Residents of Bampton Estate have recently found out that there will be a meeting of Lewisham Mayor&Cabinet held on 28th of February 2018. The building plans on our Estate will be one of the discussion points at the meeting. As you probably may be aware, residents of the estate and residents from neighbouring houses and streets are categorically objecting to the building plans on our estate because the estate open green space, including the ball court, are very valuable community assets for both environment and amenity.

I am currently applying for a Tree Preservation Order and also for our estate green open space, including the ball court, to be registered as local Town Green as it matches all criteria required for the registration:

• where the green space is in reasonably close proximity to the community it serves;

• where the green area is demonstrably special to a local community and holds a particular local significance, for example, because of its beauty, historic significance, recreational value (including as a playing field), tranquillity or richness of its wildlife;

• where the green area concerned is local in character and is not an extensive tract of land.

(From National Planning Policy Framework).

The planning officers in the report to Mayor and Cabinet recommend for the planning application to be approved and agreed by the Mayor and cabinet. It seems the concerns of residents and neighbours have been ignored. However, it is believed that the development fails to consider Lewisham Council guidelines which I would like to bring to your attention:

The building plans on our estate go against Lewisham Open Space Strategy:

• conserving and enhancing the natural environment,

• protecting and enhancing valued landscapes, minimising impacts on biodiversity and providing net gains in biodiversity

• open space and environmental assets recognises the strategic importance of the natural environment and to help mitigate against climate change the Council will conserve nature, green the public realm and provide opportunities for sport, recreation, leisure and wellbeing

• resists inappropriate development on the areas of Public Open Space (POS) or Urban Green Space (UGS)

Our open green space has a lot of mature trees, it is also a home for protected species – 3 types of woodpeckers, barn owls, stag-beetles. Our open green space and ball court is extensively used not only by local residents and children but also by residents from local streets, children from the neighbouring school and is a popular feature.

The building plans will reduce and destroy the local open green space, which is also a very valuable local amenity asset, by at least 35%, destroy trees and the remedial strategies like redesigning car parks and assuming adjacent roads will offer additional parking? Relocating the ball-court which residents don’t agree to, creating a cut through road and supposed additional car spaces when current facilities are inadequate. 50 additional dwellings even conservatively would add 30 cars so the plan is totally flawed.

National Planning Policy Framework clearly states ‘conserving and enhancing the natural environment’:

• the planning system should contribute to and enhance the natural and local environment by protecting and enhancing valued landscapes, geological conservation interests and soils;

• recognising the wider benefits of ecosystem services;

• minimising impacts on biodiversity and providing net gains in biodiversity where possible

The building plans on our estate clearly go against the National Planning Policy Framework that must be taken into account in the preparation of local and neighbourhood plans and is a material consideration in planning decisions and also against Lewisham Open Space Strategy.

Reviewing Lewisham Open Space Strategy and National Planning Policy Framework, I am therefore asking the Mayor and Cabinet, with the support of over 180 residents and neighbours to object to the further progress of the proposed building plans on Bampton Estate.

Please find supporting information attached.

Yours sincerely,

Kat

25/02/2018

PerryVRes
27 Feb '18

Hi Kat,

I live on Perry Vale and just been pointed to this website as a result of the Bampton Estate development proposal.

I am completely unaware and have not been engaged, consulted, not even a cursory letter on the proposals from Lewisham Homes.

I see the website says there has been local consultation – this simply cannot be true. My property is on the red line boundary of the plans, with our home in the architects models! – so surely our views need to be considered?

I have just emailed the council my views – though I’m not sure what or when they maybe seeking them. It seems a black box. The council and therefore Lewisham Homes obviously have our details from the electoral register – so it stumps me as to how they haven’t thought worthy to engage us.

Our 3 story home/flat will be dwarfed by the 5 story development on the edge of our garden. Light issues etc pale into the loss of green space and wildlife.

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

Hi, one of the residents from Perry Vale said they have not been consulted either. I am currently at work and cannot write a proper post. But please email to Mayor and Cabinet before the meeting tomorrow so they have as many people’s voices as possible. Tomorrow a decision can be made to progress further to the official planning stage. I have a feeling that smb from the council is pushing this project. I dont think LH have so much powers to ignore residents opinion if not backed by smbd with some authority.

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

That what Cllr John Paschoud replied to one of residents on Perry Vale. He copied his response to few people:

(I dont trust any one there and from my experience dealing with LH, Councillors, etc., you wont get help and responses will be strictly within certain boundaries that may be very misleading. As you can see, there is no metion in his reply about the project to be agreed on 28th Feb for the next planning stage. I got the meeting info from a person who is trying to help us, not LH, not Councillors.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for copying me in to your response to Lewisham Homes.

As far as I’m aware, the consultation carried out so far by Lewisham Homes has only been aimed at their own tenants and leaseholders, as they’re required to do under Housing legislation.

Any possible proposed development in the area must still gain Planning permission, with wider and more formal requirements for consultation with neighbours who may be affected. And anyone (whether they are individually invited or not) can submit views, which must be properly considered, if and when that happens.

I do not think a Planning application has yet been received by the Council for this site.

Best wishes,

John

anon30031319
27 Feb '18

Is this reply from @John_Paschoud not just outlining the standard operational requirements of a development plan.
I was under the impression that it was not officially at the planning permission stage. Forgive me if I have misunderstood.

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

I am guessing so, never saw this guy, only met Susan Wise.

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

The project will be discussed tomorrow at Mayor and Cabinet meeting and planning officers (really would like to know who they are) are recommending to aprove it for further progress to the official planning stage.

And I really really will be grateful if anyone will email to Mayor and Cabinet befor tomorrow 18pm asking to stop this project. Please help us to save our open green space and ball court.

anon30031319
27 Feb '18

I would assume the official planning stage is where it really all happens, and this whole thread comes into its own. At the moment where people are just throwing ideas about, I don’t suppose the individual gets much of a say.

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

The project itself goes against National Planning Policy Framework and Lewisham Open Space Strategy. Our estate should never be considered for builing project. We were telling LH from the beginning that our green space is a very valuable community asset. But they were ignoring us until now. So we are asking Mayor and Cabinet to stop this project and object to the project going to the next planning stage.

anon30031319
27 Feb '18

Hopefully the right decision will be made in a timely manner.

kat.standlake.point
27 Feb '18

We will know tomorrow.

kat.standlake.point
1 Mar '18

And yes, screw the people…

Decision:

Having considered an officer report and a presentation by the Cabinet Member for Housing, Councillor Damien Egan, the Mayor agreed that:

(4) having considered the responses to the consultation, Lewisham Homes proceed to submit planning applications to deliver 50 new Council homes at Bampton Estate;

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?ID=3945

anon5422159
1 Mar '18

Really sorry to hear that, Kat - you fought hard and got a lot of local support for protecting this green space.

kat.standlake.point
1 Mar '18

Chris, we have one more chance during the official planning stage to come. I realised that it has all been decided and people’s opinion and lifes obviously don’t matter. And screw the national planning policy and lewisham open space strategy. I am also hoping the Conservatives to have strong pre-election compaign to kick those ********* out. Will be writing Liam, after this decision their camp will have good ground to win votes on Bampton Estate and from neighbouring houses and streets.

starman
1 Mar '18

It may not be as easy as that. As Liam previously noted the Conservative candidate for Lewisham Mayor wants to build more affordable homes in the borough. I can only assume by more, he means more than the Labour-run council has been able to build.

Given the often noted limitation of land in Lewisham for development it might be a hard sell, even to a Tory candidate. Good luck.

kat.standlake.point
1 Mar '18

What ever it takes to push the Labour out.

anon5422159
1 Mar '18

Scrutiny within the council (councillors of different parties) will help avoid autocratic decisions being made in future.

At a crucial time for campaigning, @Liam_Gilgar and others have an opportunity to listen to Londoners who do not want aggressive house building in our congested and strained city of 8M people.

There are plenty of people who’d like to live in this city without paying the going rate for doing so (hence the demands to build cheap, dense housing, and the demands for taxpayers to subsidise it).

There is already a party that represents this ideology.

Where is the party that represents the rest of us?

kat.standlake.point
1 Mar '18

And also to highlight, I never got any communication back from local councilors John Paschoud, Alan Till and Susan Wise. Not a single email back offering support. It is just for those to keep in mind who will be voting them one day. Not helpful at all.

starman
1 Mar '18

At the last Mayoral election there were apparently 56% of Londoners living IN this city who felt housing was among their top 3 concerns particularly around affordability and accessibility. So it is hardly surprising that the five top political parties who stood candidates shared these concerns and established manifesto pledges to address this issue. What only differs is the ambition in scale of new housing plans.

Given we are now in an election year for local authorities including Lewisham mayor and councilors now is the time for both you and Chris to lobby non-Labour candidates. If you are truly interested in getting political support, these type of issues might be of interest to a candidate looking to differentiate themselves, particularly councilor candidates in Perry Vale Ward.

starman
1 Mar '18

I’ve communicated often with John Paschoud and always find him responsive so I am surprised. I tend to only email him though partly as he is based almost across the road.

Can I offer some practical advice though? I see from this email that the Perry Vale Councillors were included on the cc line. To ensure a better response from anyone, it is best to put them in the to line. Recipients in the cc line will often determine that they were copied only for information and that no response is required. The other truth is if, like me, you received piles of emails with your address in the cc line only, they go unread.

So to illicit a response from those you want one from, put them in the to line.

The other bit of advice is to limit the number of people you address the email to in the to line. For instance you’ve got 17+ people listed in this one email. For the recipient it begins to feel a bit like spam and again it may not get the attention it rightly reserved.

So if you really want to get a response from one or a few people like the Perry Vale Ward Councillors, send them each a separate email. It will only take you an extra minute and vastly increases your chances of a reply.

Sorry if this feels a bit preachy. But I’ve often found these couple of tricks get me more attention and higher response rates when I contact both public and private officials. As a public official myself, I know it works on me.

kat.standlake.point
1 Mar '18

Me too. The first letter i sent was addressed directly to the local councilors. They obviously read them but/and choose not to respond.

kat.standlake.point
7 Mar '18

FOI request

Dear Lewisham Borough Council,

Please provide details on the decision made by Mayor of Lewisham on 28/02/2018 for the building project on Bampton Estate SE23-2XB to proceed to the official planning stage, what are the grounds for the decision?

Yours faithfully,
Kat

anon30031319
7 Mar '18

Other than the information supplied in the decision notice, what other information are you hoping for them to provide at this stage?

It is just to allow the proper planning application process to begin, which is surely the most important stage to being heard or getting your point across.

At this point they have just said a development of the suggested nature is plausible.

kat.standlake.point
7 Mar '18

The building plan goes against National Planning Policy Framework and Lewisham Open Space Strategy. I want to know what exactly allows them to go ahead.

anon51837532
7 Mar '18

If I may be so bold …

This is what @kat.standlake.point asked for:

Please provide details on the decision made by Mayor of Lewisham on 28/02/2018 for the building project on Bampton Estate SE23-2XB to proceed to the official planning stage, what are the grounds for the decision?

It may help by specifying what details you are requesting

So if you are inclined, modify your request by adding this statement:

“It is deemed reasonable that by details I seek copies of all papers prepared in support of this decision: copies of correspondence within the authority and its elected members; copies of correspondence with any arms-length bodies; copies of correspondence with any third parties; records of telephone conversations and/or telephone conferences with any party; reports prepared by officers of the authority.”

Trust me - it means you can respond quickly to any blanket refusal the authority may give on the matter by virtue of it being too difficult or costly.

Good luck

kat.standlake.point
7 Mar '18

Thank you, i will!

anon30031319
7 Mar '18

I would expect if that is the case, then it won’t last very long when it reaches official planning.

Not sure what considerations are made in the first phase, maybe @Michael might know more about this.

PerryVRes
7 Mar '18

The decision by the Mayor was based on the consultation outcomes - which to be clear did not include local residents whose properties border the redline boundary of the development.

The back of my garden will no longer face green space and a playground, rather a 5 story residential bock. dwarfing our 3 story home (seperated into flats).

I am not sure how a Mayor can forward proposals on the basis of a consultation that does not include those who will be most affected and I would hope a FOI request would cover an overview of the reccomendations approved.

kat.standlake.point
7 Mar '18

Added. Thank you for your help!

kat.standlake.point
7 Mar '18

I am not sure how Mayor ignored the objection from the majority of estate residents, and also our neighbours. Our petition collected 180 signatures, that is 180 households plus we have more support from Perry Vale residents who knew nothing about it. And after all our constant objection, i emailed the Mayor just before the meeting pointing at the Lewisham Open Space Strategy and National planning policy framework work, that the building plans go against them and still the green light given to go ahead to planning stage. Not sure what the decision was all about.

kat.standlake.point
7 Mar '18

Emailed today to the Department for Communities and Local Government:

Good morning,

Dear Karen, my name is Kat. I believe you kindly replied to my email in the past regarding building plans on Bampton Estate SE23-2XB. I also copied you into my last communication to Lewisham Mayor and Cabinet. The decision of Mayor has been made for the building project to proceed to the official planning stage despite disagreement of residents and neighbours and communications to local councillors, councillors, local MP.

Please see below:

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=139&MId=4650

(4) having considered the responses to the consultation, Lewisham Homes

proceed to submit planning applications to deliver 50 new Council homes at

Bampton Estate;

I have been also reviewing the National Planning Policy Framework and Lewisham Open Space Strategy and the mayor’s decision goes against both of them. Can the Mayor’s decision be investigated? It feels that the project on our estate has been decided all along and decisions are ‘fixed’, the opinion of residents and neighbours did never matter. We have three potential sites in our areas suitable for the developement - old Brent Knoll School on Mayow Road can be redeveloped, it is not in use now; old gas works site in Bell Green has been recently rejected for retail development, large hardly used carpark by Forest Hill station.

Can you please help us to save our green space and ball court as it is a very valuable amenity and community asset.

Yours sincerely,
Kat
Standlake Point
SE23-2XB

kat.standlake.point
28 Mar '18

The planning application has been submitted to the Council planning, I got a letter today. We have till 16/04 to submit objections to planning.

The demolition of seven (7) existing garages, one (1) dwelling house and a ball court at Bampton Estate, Bampton Road SE23, to allow for the construction of one (1) part four/part five storey building to provide fifty (50) over 60s dwelling units and associated ancillary uses, together with the provision of associated landscaping, refuse storage, cycle parking, car parking and the extension of Windrush Lane onto Bampton Road.

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_94410

Michael
28 Mar '18

Measuring the distance between the windows in the new block and living rooms on Fifield Path, it looks just about an appropriate distance to be allowed. The walkways will overlook the living rooms on Fifield Path, but that may well be acceptable in planning policy.

The loss of daylight in some of the existing homes in Standlake Point and Fifield Path look completely unreasonable with 30-40% loss of daylight from some living rooms with low levels of daylight to start with, and some falling below the 25% figure of daylight expected in living rooms.

The new block will contain 65% rooms that receive adequate daylight. The report says this is a high level of compliance, but to me it is also a high level of non-compliance due to over-development of the site.

Still lots more research to do.

kat.standlake.point
28 Mar '18
  • I also noticed, the new developement - there is hardly any space for access of fire engines (i believe 5 fire engines must attend if risk of fire in a block of flats), ambulances, rescue teams - no access to the centre of the developement, and particularly the block opposite the electric station - no access from the front and back for any rescue/ safety equipment, people in the event of fire.

• Extention of Windrush lane, although oneway but still- rat running to avoid trafgic at the roundabout, cars’ pollution. Cycling lane - risk of collision with children, our estate is mainly family orientated, cars, cyclists - children can run out without cautions.

• 45 per cent green space, as amenity, loss without replacement (i believe National Planning policy framework suggest that the replacement has to be like for like?), we are not getting lost space back somewhere else.

• ball court opposite Newbridge and other houses, balls thrown in the windows /gardens guaranteed.

I have Friday and Monday off, i will sit down and look through it properly, will forward my findings.

JaneFH
29 Mar '18

Hello

Making my way through the 53 documents and I also think it’s no coincidence that this has been released over a Bank holiday weekend .

A few upfront observations -

The light loss in the flats/ houses is terrible and I how this is presented as reasonable I can’t imagine

kat.standlake.point
29 Mar '18

The fact that they did over the bankholiday weekend, again as last year - leaseholders were issued with a notice of major works estimate 25,000£ over xmas holidays, people were shocked and could hardly respond, it just shows it is a pattern that is deliberately done and calculated hoping for less people to respond.

kat.standlake.point
29 Mar '18

Morning everyone! Please help us to save our open green space and our current ballcourt by submitting your objection based on material considerations to the council planning. Your support is very very much appreciated.
Deadline - 16/04/2018

From Open Spaces Society wesite:

What are material considerations?
A material consideration is a matter that should be taken into account in deciding a planning application or on an appeal against a planning decision.

Material considerations can include (but are not limited to):

Overlooking/loss of privacy
Loss of light or overshadowing
Parking
Highway safety
Traffic
Noise
Effect on listed building and conservation area
Layout and density of building
Design, appearance and materials
Government policy
Disabled persons’ access
Proposals in the Development Plan
Previous planning decisions (including appeal decisions)
Nature conservation
However, issues such as loss of view, or negative effect on the value of properties are not material considerations.

Also planning policies (national one and Lewisham itself)

JaneFH
29 Mar '18

These agencies are working on behalf the public sector and it’s a scandal .

I also noticed that the planning document appears like this on the LEWISHAM website
image1.jpeg
It would be very easy if over look - doesn’t even MENTION the construction of 5 story building .

I’m contacting the planning office today .

Interestingly , although Im set up for planning alerts on the planning portal , nothing has appeared in my in box .

Has anyone else had a notification ?

kat.standlake.point
29 Mar '18

I am registered on the council planning portal - never get any notifications. I got a letter from LH yesterday ‘as a side that has interest in’ , that how i found out. I wonder if all residents and neighbours got letters too, it is suppose to be a public consultation?

There is another side to it - bias. The council finds a site, drafts the project, grants itself the permission to go ahead and will be deciding itself to approve the planning, completely ignoring the people objections. How is that fair and unbias approach in decision making??

kat.standlake.point
29 Mar '18

Very useful information on how to object. (i cannot copy all info from that site because the explanations are very thorough and it is too much info to transfer)

JaneFH
29 Mar '18

We haven’t received a letter yet . Not a Planning notification . I’ve let the planning office know and will chase the response on Tuesday .

kat.standlake.point
30 Mar '18
kat.standlake.point
30 Mar '18

We will be distributing flyers to Bampton residents and neibouring houses and streets over the coming week inviting to object. This is our last chance to save our space and ballcourt. Every voice is important!

kat.standlake.point
30 Mar '18

Please object to the building project using the guidelines from the website:

Please object to
planning@lewisham.gov.uk
Ref. DC/18/106504 Bampton Estate, SE23-2XB
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_94410

Or write to:
Planning Services, 3rd floor, Laurence House, 1 Catford road, SE6-4RU

Deadline is 16/04/2018

HannahM
1 Apr '18

We got a letter yesterday informing us that Lewisham Homes have applied to demolish eight garages and build fourteen flats and three houses on Knapdale Close on the Forest Estate. I wonder if this is part of the same programme? We back on to Knapdale Close and had raised concerns about light and over looking as the flats will almost be right up against our boundary fence.

JaneFH
1 Apr '18

Hi - if you read on further it mentions the construction later on .

kat.standlake.point
3 Apr '18

Attention!!!
Dear resident,
As you may probably be aware, Lewisham Homes, on behalf of the Lewisham Council, is planning to build houses on the open green space between Standlake Point, SE23-2XB, and Fifield Path, removing the ball court, the single standing house and garages. A lot of residents and neighbours disagreed with the building plans and objected, but they were not heard/supported by Lewisham Homes, local councillors, Lewisham Councillors, the Cabinet, the Deputy Mayor, the Mayor of Lewisham. The decision has been made to forward the project to Lewisham planning department for consideration and consequently approval. We have our last chance to save our green space and the current ball court by forwarding our objections to the planning department. The objections have to be based on material considerations. The deadline is before 16/04/2018!

The case reference DC/18/106504

The project:
DC/18/106504 | The demolition of seven (7) existing garages, one (1) dwelling house and a ball court at Bampton Estate, Bampton Road SE23, to allow for the construction of one (1) part four/part five storey building to provide fifty (50) over 60s dwelling units and associated ancillary uses, together with the provision of the relocated ball court, associated landscaping, refuse storage, cycle parking, car parking and the extension of Windrush Lane onto Bampton Road. | BAMPTON ESTATE, BAMPTON ROAD, LONDON SE23 2AX. (The project submitted to planning has 54 documents (some of them have multiple pages) to be looked at).

If you disagree with the building plans on Bampton Estate, if your flat or house is affected, please object to Lewisham planning department: via email to planning@lewisham.gov.uk or by post to Planning Services, 3rd floor, Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, SE6-4RU quoting the reference DC/18/106504 and location.

Do you feel that the new buildings will have/create:

• negative visual impact
  • negative effect on the character of our neighbourhood
  • negative effect on the residential amenity of neighbours
  • create/increase noise or disturbance
  • overlooking
  • loss of light/overshadowing
  • loss of privacy
  • loss of view as a part of the residential amenity
  • loss of space
  • loss of amenity
  • loss of parking
  • loss of trees, negative effect on nature, eco-environment
  • overbuilding/ overdevelopment/ increasing housing density in our neighbourhood
  • are the new buildings over-bearing, out-of-scale, out of character?
  • Windrush lane becomes a cut-through road with an added cycle lane– do you feel it is safe? Do you feel it is safe for children? Can such road extension cause rat-running, increase pollution, increase traffic and consequently noise? Can the extended road, the cycle lane be a hazard for residents, children?
  • do you feel that the project does not comply with local and national planning policies? What points in the policies it does not comply with?
  • with the new buildings, do you feel there will not be enough room for fire engines, ambulances, rescue teams in case of any emergencies?

Please object if you feel that the new buildings will have negative effects on our neighbourhood.
Every voice is very important! Tell your neighbour, tell your family, tell your friends! Ask for support!

Attention!!!

kat.standlake.point
4 Apr '18

Posters (Perry Vale neighbours joined forces) will be coming out next week.

And we started flyers (post above) . Hopefully we can cover our neighbourhood and neighbouring houses and streets till the end of the week.

kat.standlake.point
6 Apr '18

One of the Perry Vale residents got in touch with Councillor John Paschoud and brought to his attention the fact that the consultation period is short and started over the Easter holiday period. Councillor raised the concerns with the planning and the consultation is extended until 26/04/2018 now. We have more time to do research and draft objections. However, neighbours to our estate seem not getting any consultation letters. One council tenant in our block did not receive anything until yesterday, but i got 3 letters so far.

anon30031319
9 Apr '18

Not sure if this is relevant.

kat.standlake.point
9 Apr '18

Yes, Mr Portter is on the run to undertake another challenges)) Had enough I think upsetting leaseholders and tenants.

kat.standlake.point
9 Apr '18

UPD on our press release.

We are approached by newspapers and currently getting in touch with reporters.

kat.standlake.point
9 Apr '18

Posters are also going out:

The flyers have also been spread on Inglemere road, Bampton road, Witney Path, Fifield Path, Perry Vale, Standlake block (other 2 blocks to do). If our street neighbours did not get any of our flyers, let me know, i will pop in. They have useful information about the grounds for objections.

kat.standlake.point
9 Apr '18

Press release that went out (courtesy of Dan, the Perry Vale Resident ):

NEWS PRESS RELEASE, 9 April 2018 LAST CHANCE TO SAVE FOREST HILL GREEN SPACE

Angry Forest Hill residents are campaigning against a proposed five-storey development by Lewisham Council on the grounds of the Bampton Estate off Perry Vale. The development, which is expected to house up to 50 new homes squeezed into the site of the estate’s ball park and wooded play area, has been heavily criticised for several reasons including:
● Overwhelming scale and lack of consideration to nearby homes that will be affected
● The permanent destruction of a valuable local amenity for children and families
● Loss of ancient wooded area and wildlife (green woodpeckers, owls, butterflies, stag beetles etc)
● Threat to privacy, increased noise pollution and unwanted rise in local population density
● Concerns over child safety following the building of a new through road and extra parking places
● Complete lack of engagement with the wider community by Lewisham Council

XXX (Kat), resident of Standlake Point, the building nearest to the site, has been gathering support for her campaign on www.se23.life. She says: “Our estate should never have been considered for this massive building project. We’ve been telling Lewisham Homes that our green space is a highly valuable community asset but they’ve ignored us. Squashing new buildings between our block and the houses on Fifield Path will not only deprive residents of their amenity, but will completely change the character of the area. It’s our last chance to preserve our local green space and the much-loved children’s ball court!”

Adds Perry Vale resident Dan XXX: “Although we live next to the estate, we’ve been deemed unworthy of proper consultation by Lewisham Homes. We support the council’s remit to provide housing, but this site is inappropriate for so many reasons. Not only would the proposed buildings block any remaining natural light reaching existing flats and the back gardens of Perry Vale, but with the total loss of the ancient trees and wooded areas, they would be turning a rare local green space into an unsightly urban area complete with all the trappings. Anyone who cares about quality of life in Forest Hill should be appalled by this!”

The campaigners are urging residents to raise objections by the deadline Thursday 26th April to: http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/, quote reference DC/18/106504

Or email the case officer: planning@lewisham.gov.uk (for the attention of Holly Lucas)

Contacts: Kat XXX or Dan XXX

Anotherjohn
9 Apr '18

D’ya know what…
The glasses, the hat, the hair all confused me…
But that identical smile…
It definitely had me going there for a minute!

anon51837532
10 Apr '18

Lewisham’s response to the FOI request is delayed.

The council should have responded promptly and by 9 April 2018.

If the council had a valid reason that would have enabled them to have an extension of time they should have provided notice of this need by now.

Lewisham has a patchy record of of providing responses to FOI’s.

It would be prudent to issue a firm reminder to the council, including a demand that they meet their statutory obligation and provide a response to the request.

anon30031319
10 Apr '18

Took me an additional month to that of what was expected last time I did one.

kat.standlake.point
10 Apr '18

Thank you! I will respond today during my work lunch time demanding response or i will be asking for the internal review.

kat.standlake.point
11 Apr '18

Requested an internal review.

kat.standlake.point
12 Apr '18

Planning practice guidance

Very useful info that shows how and what should be taken into account when considering planning applications, local plans, etc.

Gilo
13 Apr '18

Dear Kat, thank you and to you and everyone else who is not giving in on this.

Do you or anyone else know if any consideration has been given to employing the services of a planning consultant to assist in resisting this application (and I don’t mean to diminish your excellent work in campaigning so far). I doubt the fees would be extortionate in the scheme of things and it may be that a small crowd funding campaign could raise the funds required.

It just strikes me that the playing field is not even given the various consultants LH are using including their planning adviser “bptw planning”.

kat.standlake.point
13 Apr '18

Hi, thank you for your support. We have few groups working on the objections. We have one strong organisation supporting us, also we have smbd from Town Planning who objected already. We never thought to get paid consultants involved and honestly it never crossed my mind to find one. The problem with consultants is they will give a list of points that will spread across every one. BUT,

"Your objection will have more effect if a number of people write in to object, but do not be tempted to organise a petition; it will not carry any weight and is a waste of time. Also avoid using a ‘standard’ letter. Objectors should use their own words and write, type or word process their letters themselves. Objections will not carry the same weight if they are seen to have been written or produced in a standardised form. "

By having a list of objections prepared by a professional consultant that everyone will use we can fall into the trap of those objections being ignored as being standard thus looking orchestrated. This is our last chance to defend our green space. There will be people, including myself who will research the building proposal documentation and the grounds for objection to ensure they are solid. But we need as many people to object as possible that will give weight to the detailed objections.

I give an example of my findings:

Open space, sports and recreation facilities
How should open space be taken into account in planning?

Open space should be taken into account in planning for new development and considering proposals that may affect existing open space (see National Planning Policy Framework paragraphs 73-74). Open space, which includes all open space of public value, can take many forms, from formal sports pitches to open areas within a development, linear corridors and country parks. It can provide health and recreation benefits to people living and working nearby; have an ecological value and contribute to green infrastructure (see National Planning Policy Framework paragraph 114), as well as being an important part of the landscape and setting of built development, and an important component in the achievement of sustainable development (see National Planning Policy Framework paragraphs 6-10).

Related policy:

paragraph 70
paragraphs 73-74
paragraphs 156-157
paragraph 162
paragraph 171
Paragraph: 001 Reference ID: 37-001-20140306

Revision date: 06 03 2014

Obviously Lewisham Homes and Lewisham Council planning officers who are pushing this project completely disregarded that when we will be loosing 45% of our open space forever if this project is given a green light. If we look at the figures: Bampton Estate has 3 blocks = 120 households. Bampton Estate is mainly a family estate. Multiply 120 by 3 and we get 360 appx people living here. Plus adding 50 households = 1 person each. That is appx 410 people on the estate with 45% reduction in space. Do they want to create a prison site here???

anon51837532
24 Apr '18

Hello again @kat.standlake.point

After Lewisham failed to respond to your FOI in the proscribed time frame, you requested an internal review on 11 April.

I calculate that fourteen days will have lapsed by tomorrow and they have not even acknowledged this request, never mind fulfilled their obligations to provide the data specified…

You may have to write once more and this time inviting them to confirm when they will provide the data. Additionally perhaps you could state that you require an acknowledgement within 5 working days and that the response to the full information request should be answered within 10 working days.

I can see you are keeping up two campaigns in tandem - good luck.

anon5422159
24 Apr '18

Well done @kat.standlake.point and others!

anon51837532
24 Apr '18

Great piece.

kat.standlake.point
24 Apr '18

Yes!!! :tada::+1: thank you Chris for the good news))) All this publishing would not have happened if not Dan, our Perry Vale resident. He was the one to write the press release and send it. And it was published right on time before the elections. Very very good.

Thank you News Shopper for support!!

Thank you John, i will write directly to corporate complaints in Lewisham Council.

Yes, because both of them have common denominators! - Lewisham Homes, Lewisham Council and a strong feeling of being scammed.

starman
24 Apr '18

Who wrote this piece? Dan the Perry Vale resident or Bridie Witton local democracy reporter?

kat.standlake.point
24 Apr '18

Dan wrote the press release which I published in the earlier posts here above, the reporter wrote the article herself. She contacted us, asked questions and what you read in News Shopper is her piece. Part of the post removed by Kat due to misunderstanding of Starman’s post . Dan also sent the press release to them as i did to various papers.

anon51837532
24 Apr '18

If you stay with the website the authority can be tracked in terms of its poor performance.

But do go direct if you feel it will be more beneficial.

kat.standlake.point
24 Apr '18

Ok, understood.

kat.standlake.point
24 Apr '18

The post is deleted by Kat due to misunderstanding of Starman’s post

@starman Starman, please accept my sincere apologies.

kat.standlake.point
24 Apr '18

Attention!!!

We have 1 day left until the deadline - 26/04/2018!

Dear resident,
As you may probably be aware, Lewisham Homes, on behalf of the Lewisham Council, is planning to build houses on the open green space between Standlake Point, SE23-2XB, and Fifield Path, removing the ball court, the single standing house and garages. A lot of residents and neighbours disagreed with the building plans and objected, but they were not heard/supported by Lewisham Homes, local councillors, Lewisham Councillors, the Cabinet, the Deputy Mayor, the Mayor of Lewisham. The decision has been made to forward the project to Lewisham planning department for consideration and consequently approval. We have our last chance to save our green space and the current ball court by forwarding our objections to the planning department. The objections have to be based on material considerations. The deadline is before 16/04/2018!

The case reference DC/18/106504
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_94410 4

The project:
DC/18/106504 | The demolition of seven (7) existing garages, one (1) dwelling house and a ball court at Bampton Estate, Bampton Road SE23, to allow for the construction of one (1) part four/part five storey building to provide fifty (50) over 60s dwelling units and associated ancillary uses, together with the provision of the relocated ball court, associated landscaping, refuse storage, cycle parking, car parking and the extension of Windrush Lane onto Bampton Road. | BAMPTON ESTATE, BAMPTON ROAD, LONDON SE23 2AX. (The project submitted to planning has 54 documents (some of them have multiple pages) to be looked at).

If you disagree with the building plans on Bampton Estate, if your flat or house is affected, please object to Lewisham planning department: via email to planning@lewisham.gov.uk or by post to Planning Services, 3rd floor, Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, SE6-4RU quoting the reference DC/18/106504 and location.

Do you feel that the new buildings will have/create:

• negative visual impact
  • negative effect on the character of our neighbourhood
  • negative effect on the residential amenity of neighbours
  • create/increase noise or disturbance
  • overlooking
  • loss of light/overshadowing
  • loss of privacy
  • loss of view as a part of the residential amenity
  • loss of space
  • loss of amenity
  • loss of parking
  • loss of trees, negative effect on nature, eco-environment
  • overbuilding/ overdevelopment/ increasing housing density in our neighbourhood
  • are the new buildings over-bearing, out-of-scale, out of character?
  • Windrush lane becomes a cut-through road with an added cycle lane– do you feel it is safe? Do you feel it is safe for children? Can such road extension cause rat-running, increase pollution, increase traffic and consequently noise? Can the extended road, the cycle lane be a hazard for residents, children?
  • do you feel that the project does not comply with local and national planning policies? What points in the policies it does not comply with?
  • with the new buildings, do you feel there will not be enough room for fire engines, ambulances, rescue teams in case of any emergencies?

Please object if you feel that the new buildings will have negative effects on our neighbourhood.

Every voice is very important!
Tell your neighbour, tell your family, tell your friends! Ask for support!

kat.standlake.point
26 Apr '18

Dear Lewisham Council,
I have neither received a response to my FOI request, no any response to my request for an internal review.
This is not acceptable, particularly for the public government body. I insist you acknowledge the receipt of my last request within 2 working days and confirm the intiation of the internal review within 5 working days. Failure to do so will result in the matter being referred to the local MP for further investigation.

Yours sincerely,

Yekaterina Kartasheva

kat.standlake.point
30 Apr '18

We will be meeting Journalism students today at 8pm by the ball court on Bampton Estate, SE23-2XB. They will be writing an article about how the new building complex affect local residents. Everyone is welcome to come and have a chat.

kat.standlake.point
30 Apr '18

The journalists came today, we had a proper video interviews with a microphone and camera))). No one expected that but every person attended was given unlimited time to speak.

They found out about our troubles through BBC London online news, apparently BBC London reposted the article from News Shopper. We all are hoping for the success of the work done today and a good final piece to see the bigger audience. Everyone attended is very grateful to the journalists and their time spending with us and listening our troubles giving us opportunity to speak out. Shame that the Council and Lewsham Homes did want to hear our opinions.

kat.standlake.point
8 May '18

:zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap:

Dear All, we are receiving a letter from the Lewisham planning department inviting to attend an informal meeting on 5th June at 19:30 in Civic Suite, SE64RU regarding the building plans on our Estate. Pls see attached.

It is very important that we all attend and all who objected in the area are to attend as well. We need to ensure that there are a lot of us and not just few concerned. Number of us attending is very important to confirm the scale of our objections and our resistance. The planning stage is our last chance to save our local green space and the ball court. Please find time to attend. If the project is approved, our green space will be destroyed and lost forever and we will regret that we did not do enough. We need lots of objecting people to show our voice.

We can also speak at the meeting so we can say at the meeting what we have been saying to Lewisham Homes all this time. Please spread the word and the attached letter!

Kat

I will be coming.

:zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap::zap:

Winnie
9 May '18

Hello Kat we received our invitation to the meeting because we raised concerns and we will both be there. Should we all prepare something to share or is it better to have a “spokesperson” I think there is very little time allocated to each review.

kat.standlake.point
9 May '18

The problem is there are more people objected that i know of)) and would be hard to get organised and choose the spokesman. Also objections are so broad the spokesman will find it hard to summarise it all, my objection is 5 pages email)) I think the best is to prepare 5 min brief speech and if we have chances to speak, as many of us as possible, we will do that. This is an informal meeting and i have a feeling we all will have a chance to say our opinions. They want to see the volume of people coming and talking, i dont see other reasons for the meeting. They got our objections and feedback, they have all details, why else they want us coming.

Michael
9 May '18

At the public meetings, rather than planning committees, everybody has a right to speak. Doesn’t need a detailed presentation, just clear reasons for objecting.

If you are worried that some people don’t know about the meeting you can stick leaflets through every door on the estate (shouldn’t take too long if you get 5 people to help).

At these meetings it can often be possible to ask for changes to the schemes, and help correct poor layout, but it is rare to make a large difference to the developer. It is instead important for the planning officers to hear the valid objections and the unwillingness of the developer to make concessions - it is well worth giving them the opportunity to agree to better developments and for them to rule them out as not being profitable enough too expensive.

What you want is a report to the planning committee that says - this could be done better and it is reasonable to reject the application based on the grounds raised by residents.

It is also possible that you may be able to get improvements to other parts of the estate to ‘compensate’ for the impact of the new buildings. It is well worth some people on the estate considering what you would like to see improved on the estate if you didn’t have to pay for it. You have a good bargaining position and some good may come of the development, even if it is approved.

kat.standlake.point
9 May '18

Thank you Michael, it is clear now. I will be spreading flyers again week or two before the meeting informing neighbours who wants to attend.

PerryVRes
10 May '18

We will be attending - as it is an informal drop in session with the planners and local councillors I am expecting to be able to enagage and play through concerns with the officer directly.

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Hi all, today I received the following email. What does it mean @Michael?..I understood the meeting is canceled. Re-consulation of the planning application? Is it good for us or bad?

Dear Resident,

Further to the Council’s letter dated 3rd May 2018 notifying you of a local meeting in relation to the planning application at the Bampton Estate, Bampton Road SE23, it has been found necessary to carry out a re-consultation of the planning application. This email is therefore to inform you that the local meeting arranged for the 5th June 2018 at Catford Civic Suite is now cancelled and will be re-arranged for a further time following formal re-consultation which will include you as a previous objector.

You will be notified in writing of a revised local meeting date, and apologies for any in convenience caused.

Kind Regards,

LBL Planning Team
London Borough Of Lewisham Planning Department
3rd Floor, Laurence House, Catford, SE6 4RU

New Planning Pre-application, Duty Planner Advice Charges applying from 1st May 2018 – please visit the following webpage to see a summary of the structure and charging levels which will apply to requests submitted from 1st May onwards:

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Documents/PreApplicationAdviceServiceRevisedFees1May2018.pdf. Note that these charges do not relate to statutory planning application fee levels, which can be found here.

PerryVRes
10 May '18

Just as I typed that I recieved an email stating the need to re-consult. I take the council will have taken advice on the validitiy of the previous consultation and the reccomendations presented of the back of it!

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

So it is good for us, right? Just to make sure I am not dreaming…

PerryVRes
10 May '18

I believe so - in essenece will be going back to scratch on the consultation point - and will need to take on board correctly the views of those not previously consulted. This will require due work to take concerns onboard and represent proposals - if any.

At this stage - it is very rare to reconsult - someone very high up must have dictated this - espeacily as the letters only dropped through doors about the drop in session.

Quite embarresing for the planners concerned - as it shows they haven’t undertaken their job correctly - for what is quite a lengthy period of time.

anon10646030
10 May '18

I wonder if that’s has been done across the board with the newly elected mayor and his deputies? They might just want to review all their current projects…

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Thank you :bouquet: it is a relief really. It does look like that somebody from the top intervened as it is very strange to call for re-consultation when so much work, time and money invested. Something serious happened.

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Also to add, technically this is a rejection of the proposal on the unknown to us grounds.

Michael
10 May '18

I think there is a chance that they may amend the application before reconsulting, if the developer has listened to some of the feedback.

It might be worth somebody trying to speak to the planning officer to understand if the scheme will change or of they can provide further explanation for the reconsultation.

For the record, the Forest Hill Society objection to the proposed scheme can be read here: http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2018/05/planning-bampton-estate-50-new-homes.html

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

The current Mayor was the one who presented the proposal to the ex-mayor in February requesting a decision to proceed to planning. So cannot be him.

Michael
10 May '18

Perhaps he wants something bigger on the site?
:imp::drooling_face:

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

He can have something bigger in his own garden :stuck_out_tongue:

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Dear all, i just want to say thank you💐 to all of you supporting us in this battle. This is not over yet but us working together brought some positive results giving an opportunity to all residents and neighbours to speak up and be heard consequently opening a way for a FAIR decision and not the decision of a few who will financially benifit from the building project.

Thank you all! And please follow the thread as it is not over yet))

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Just phoned planning, they dont know reasons for re-consultation. I asked to speak to Holly Lucas, not available. Advised to call later after lunch.

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Rang again, Holly Lucas is not responding. Left my phone number and name, the officer, i spoke to, said he would pass my details so Holly can ring me back.

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

And no one rang me back today. I guess it is over for Holly Lucas.

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

Bad news,

I have a feeling Lewisham Council or smbd on their behalf is reading this forum. Got a phon call now, Holly did not phone me back, she is on leave as it turned out. Michael Forester called on her behalf. The email we received today is about the change of the date of the meeting, which meant to be on June 5th but the local ward meetings clashed with this date so they canceled this planned meeting and will move it to another date.

I asked about when the decision is due to be made, he said realistically - end of June, beginning of July.

Michael
10 May '18

That’s not the message in the letter you received. But if there’s a clash with the ward assembly then it’s a good reason to move the meeting.

kat.standlake.point
10 May '18

I told him that what email says is not what he is saying. He said they would send a clarification email tomorrow. Lets see what they will send tomorrow.

PerryVRes
11 May '18

The information in yesterday’s email states that ‘it has been found necessary to carry out a re-consultation of the planning application’.

This is very different from postponing the date of an informal session with a planning lead - which I would hope the council would hold in any regard.

kat.standlake.point
11 May '18

I told the guy yesterday, he said he would send a clarification email. If he does not, i will email on Tuesday to Complaint Dep in Lewisham Council to find out what is actually going on. I am not sure if they know what they are doing.

kat.standlake.point
11 May '18

And the clarification email came through:

Dear Resident,

This email is to clarify and correct matters from that sent yesterday 10th May 2018 in relation to the Bampton Estate. The application has been consulted on correctly in accordance with the Councils Statement of Community Involvement with regard to the planning application but the local meeting date of the 5th June is next to the Local assembly meeting in Perry Vale ward on the 6th June.

It has therefore been concluded by officers that the local meeting date should be arranged (date tbc) in order for the Local assembly meeting to go ahead and any queries in relation to the Bampton scheme brought up at that meeting can be presented to officers for answer ahead of the Bampton local meeting.

You will be notified in writing of a revised local meeting date shortly, and apologies for any confusion caused as a result of the previous email.

Kind Regards,

LBL Planning Team
London Borough Of Lewisham Planning Department
3rd Floor, Laurence House, Catford, SE6 4RU

Michael
21 Jul '19

The 2018 application has been withdrawn and a slightly smaller scheme has now been proposed.
Ref. DC/19/112918

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_100833

Anotherjohn
21 Jul '19

And, thanks mainly to @kat.standlake.point it’s retained a ball court.
Boy, did that lady do some work to try to get the best outcome here!

Michael
21 Jul '19

Well, it isn’t over and a number of local people don’t want to loose the green space or see the ball court moved - both of which are included in the new application.

On behalf of a number of residents, the Forest Hill Society has requested Lewisham council to consider whether this green space and play area can be considered an Asset of Community Value.

Gypsyjolee
21 Jul '19

As a close neighbour of @kat.standlake.point I can only echo this statement. She has been so determined and never given up. I salute you @kat.standlake.point for your tenacity and continuing to fight for what you believe in - even from afar xx

Londondrz
21 Jul '19

An impressive lady, I wish her well in her continuing challenge.

Anotherjohn
22 Jul '19

With the love and appreciation being shown here for @kat.standlake.point, who is after all just a local resident as opposed to being a member of this or that, can we vote to award her some high honour for her selfless and monumental efforts please?

Londondrz
22 Jul '19

I think it only deserving and as another upstanding member of the community you get to name the award!!

Michael
17 Sep '19

The Forest Hill Society has received confirmation that their request to recognise Bampton Estate Green as an Asset of Community Value has been successful.

Marta
27 Sep '19

Hello everyone, sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place but this is the only forum I found regarding the subject. I haven’t gone through all the thread yet but obviously recognise that people are protesting and are not being heard. I am new to the area, I live in Standlake Point. Just got a letter talking about a meeting held on 3.10 in late evening hours that I am not able to attend, since I have a little baby and it’s just not doable for me. I’ve seen a 70-smth pages document on the council site that serves information in such a confusing way for me that I honestly don’t understand what I’m reading (being foreign doesn’t really help hehe). Do I understand correctly that the recommendation is to GRANT the permission for this project? Is this really it? Is the decision made and there is nothing that can be done? I did join the protest by sending out my objections but honestly reading that document I don’t see nothing that would convince me that there is any consideration for us existing residents whatsoever. I have water dripping from my ceiling and window frames when it rains and no one seems to care, my boiler breaks regularly cause of low water pressure and it takes the council 3 weeks to fix it etc etc and on the top of that I’d have to put up with noise, dirt, thank God I live up high so no one will be peaking though my windows… I am honestly speechless.
So now… is there anything else I can do? No way I can be there at the meeting can’t organise childcare for that night. Another letter? Is it too late? I know I’m new to this and all of you have been probably through this since the moment that this project was brought to light, but I just find the way the council goes about it absolutely ridiculous. 5 minutes for the representative to talk about the objections? Somewhere between 7 and 10 pm? Really?? Is this normal here or are we just special?
Please please if there’s anything more I can do please let me know. And THANK YOU for all that you have done so far to contest the proposal. I am honestly crying my little heart out thinking about how this is going to influence our life.

Anotherjohn
27 Sep '19

Welcome Marta.
I sympathise with your frustration regarding the Planning process, but it really is a very technical subject and it takes a very long time to even start to be able to get your head around it. To cut a long story short though, within that 70 page report, the local planners will have acknowledged every objection and weighed it up against national and local Planning Policies, existing and emerging, and taken their position to recommend permission. One of the things that people don’t understand is that local authorities face a strict obligation and extreme pressure from government to use land to provide new housing.
Regarding the condition of your flat, you should contact Lewisham Homes and remind them of their obligations under the new Fitness For Human Habitation legislation and demand that they start taking steps to deal with the leaks etc immediately.
Good luck with everything.

Marta
29 Sep '19

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply (man that was quick​:slightly_smiling_face:). I hear you, trust me coming from a country that nowadays offers practically no social housing I do agree all the way that housing is needed and I appreciate the pressure that the council is experiencing, what I don’t understand is why is that pressure more important that the pressure of the residents of existent buildings. It has been pointed out repeatedly, why people are scared of that project, and the only response was to authorise it anyway, and oh yeah, modify it cause someone didn’t sell their little house to the council, from 3 stories to 6. Right outside our windows. As I said, I live up high I shouldn’t care, but I do! 6 floors times 2 flats that’s 12 families in our building that from now on will be able to watch the telly in their neighbours flat without visiting, and vice versa. I’m guessing you’re not one of them? :wink: How is that humane conditions of living, sorry but I don’t understand. Also, I highly doubt that any elderly person will be happy to live on 5th or 6th floor, but still the project goes ahead as if nothing happens (how exactly they plan to evacuate the building in case of emergency? Running them up and down the stairs? Not exactly ideal you must agree). There’s fires all over London, just seen a new block burnt down recently, and the project is stating they are going to be using timber? Also what I brought up is how. Why the meetings are held at times that are basically excluding people like me, with little kids, to be able to attend and protest. Why is the communication sent in a way that you have to go through 70 pages document to be able to actually find out what’s going on. I don’t know, it just seems to me that this is not the way things should be done, but hey what do I know. Obviously as I understand from your answer I’m too late with all that anyway, so no point in moaning. I will definitely take your advice as to my flats condition… not that I didn’t try doing that before :grinning: let me just tell you as an anecdote my boiler broke down again the day I wrote this post and I just wonder… how long it will take for them to finally change the heating into electrical, how many days I will have to wait for them to change it (as I said, last time… 3 weeks, in march, with a 6 months old in the house… no emergency heating offered​:+1:). Anyway rant over… there’s surely no other plots in possession of the council… it has to be here… and the way they want… let it be.
Ps. Sorry for the late response, I’m travelling at the moment back in Poland… where I’m staying at my mums who had a building built 12 meters away from her windows about five years ago, so I can at least practise what it’s going to feel like in the near future​:joy::+1: All the best John!

Anotherjohn
29 Sep '19

Not now, but, trust me, I’ve lived in conditions that were worse than that! Try holes in walls where you could look into another family’s flat, communal cooking facilities for 10 families, communal bathroom with 5 baths in it.

Anyway, this isn’t about me. I wasn’t commenting-on or condoning Lewisham’s stance - I was merely offering a friendly heads-up. This might at least help you with rationalising the Planning side of things Planning Statement, or maybe it’s the document you referred to in your first message? As I said though, Planning is a highly technical subject.

kat.standlake.point
4 Oct '19

Dear All,

The proposed development (phase 2, amended) was voted yesterday at the planning committee A to go ahead.

It was a done deal and the chair of the committee, Cllr Walsh during the session was speaking about the application as if it had already been approved, it was just a matter of details.

I have recently learned a new word phrase - concrete jungle. What I witnessed yesterday was political jungle. There was never a question if the new building would go ahead, that was already decided without us well before the consultations. The question was with how massive development they can get away.

I am disgusted with Cllr Wise who never told us openly and fairly ( wich would have given us an opportunity to find support from external councillors if the local cannot support and represent us) that she was in favor of the proposed development together with Cllr Paschoud who were sitting together with the applicant. If we new from the start that that their position, we would fairly accepted that and our actions would have taken a different approach.

I wrote yesterday to Cllr Wise and will forward my email to her to the press with our Bampton story so the disgrace we witnessed yesterday will not go unnoticed.

Thank you all for being with us all these 2,5 years of battle. My message is SPEAK UP. Do not keep quiet, defend your rights, work together as a community. Local councillors, local government, the government are elected and employed to make our live bettet, safe, protect and prosperous. We are contributors to public funds and have a right to voice how the country, Boroughs shoul be managed to prosper, benefit and safeguard our lives and future.

Without prejudice,

Dear Cllr Wise,

I was shocked and disgusted to see what you have done today at the planning committee meeting. You have been elected to support people, communities of Perry Vale Ward. Instead, you supported Lewisham Homes, ALOM of Lewisham Council delivering a speech in support of the planning application. You told me in the email that you cannot speak at this meeting because of the conflict of interests and yet you spoke in the favor of the planning application in addition to the applicant time giving extra time in their favour when we, the objectors, were cut off and were unable to deliver few seconds of our final speech.

What you have done is disgraceful. I feel you betrayed our community, you betrayed Perry Vale Ward residents. This is what you wrote me:
"Dear Kat

I shall be attending the meeting, however as I am not on the committee and as I am a LH Board member I have a conflict of interest, so I am unable speak at the meeting."

I am copying everyone in so people know what kind of councillor you are and what kind of councillor they elected. Along with Cllr Paschoud sitting next to Lewisham Homes project manager for this application. What you have done and the absence of support from local councillors to Bampton community in this matter is disgrace to Perry Vale Ward. How dare you being a councillor in the first place? I came from a third world country where no democracy, no regard to residents, and law is twisted and turned in the favour of those who has power or money. What I have seen today is a flashback of my past as if I never left my third world country in the first place. Shocking, disgraceful and low. If you attempt to put your name for the next local election, I suggest you have no conscious and no shame, to say the least you don’t deserve to be a councillor.

I have also copied news reporters in. What happened today should not go unnoticed.

Kat
37 Standlake

Gypsyjolee
4 Oct '19

@kat.standlake.point please be proud of all your hard work and determination. I, along with other residents are super proud of all of your efforts and tenacity. You have been an incredible presence throughout this debacle. As you say it was probably decided upon long, long ago.
Vote for councillor Kat??? :wink: :heart: xx

ForestHull
29 Nov '20

Work has started at the site:

I’m not sure what the red and white tape on the trees signifies, if anything at all, but only these three seem to have it:

ForestHull
17 Dec '20

I guess it’s clear what the red and white tape meant now :frowning:

Zoe_Webb
17 Dec '20

And this is why Kat is so passionate about fighting for leaseholders rights and making sure we have a voice. She has been amazing and I’m proud to be a member of the Leaseholders Alliance which she is a founding member of.

HillLife
18 Dec '20

It is absolutely disgusting that the council are allowing developers to cut down our trees!

ForestHull
18 Dec '20

It’s only 3 trees, could be worse - 36 trees are going in this one controversially approved last night :frowning: