Archived on 6/5/2022

Houseplant Hill; indoor gardens of SE23

applespider
12 Sep '20

We have a thriving outdoor gardening thread; I thought it might be good for indoor gardeners to have a similar one. Top tips for where to buy plants locally, potentially swap cuttings in the spring - and show off any particularly pretty foliage.

I’d started buying houseplants a couple of years ago but, being at home most days this year, has meant my collection has exploded from around 10 to nearly 30.

Two of my favourites were picked up from Shannons this time last year.
I grabbed the Oxalis on a whim - it’s quadrupled in size. Its leaves open and close each day and it reminds me a little butterflies at night.

And my Monstera which was 6 leaves (just one with holes) when I got him last October. I’m giving you two pics - one from July about a month after I repotted him. And the other from yesterday where you can see the newest leaf has outgrown the pole! In the background you can also spot another favourite, my ponytail palm.

Anyone else got any beautiful houseplants?

marymck
12 Sep '20

Nice idea @applesider.

Here is my ever so tall Strelitzia. Brought back as a bulb from Madeira >10 years ago. It has never flowered. It’s in a very light bathroom, so gets plenty of moist air. It’s now too heavy to move.

applespider
12 Sep '20

That’s impressive! And a fabulous pot too! I did a double-take at the spider!

I’ve got a couple of maidenhair ferns in the bathroom along with some air plants in sea urchin shells that look a bit like jellyfish

clausy
12 Sep '20

Got this ‘thing’ from Yolly on Dartmouth Road probably last year and it’s doubled in size. It’s a proper fractal - bifurication and whatnot

Fran_487
13 Sep '20

I assembled all my houseplants for a “family photo” over lockdown (for a work presentation, not just for fun…although it WAS fun). This is the result of a 30-something living in a no-pets apartment block :grimacing: and we’ve welcomed two further additions since!

clausy
13 Sep '20

Well I think that’s game over, everyone! Fab collection.

applespider
13 Sep '20

That’s fabulous. This might inspire me to try a family pic now you’ve said it’s fun! Love the anglepoise lighting them.

I’ve just picked up a tiny schefflera that I can only dream getting to half the size of yours!

Was down on Rye Lane last night and the Chinese supermarket had some fabulous multi-stemmed jade plants for about £6 - and Peckham Organics had some interesting plants too for decent prices.

Fran_487
13 Sep '20

Ah I love the schefflera, I got it from Pearspring in ED which has now sadly shut up shop.

Apartment living can mean being restricted to plants that don’t need tons and tons of light, so some plants I’d love to have but can’t. But no high profile casualties so far, thankfully!

HannahM
13 Sep '20

My bathroom collection

HannahM
13 Sep '20

And the Triffid I started off plantsitting for a neighbour and seem to have inherited.

applespider
14 Sep '20

Indeed - my flat has east/west windows but none south facing so the best light in the room is very close to the windows - so I share your pain of finding lower light plants without them becoming leggy.

marymck
15 Sep '20

My Strelitzia has never flowered. My husband is threatening we won’t take it with us when we move. It is very tall and hugely heavy and he hates it quite a lot. Any ideas how we can encourage it to flower? Over the years we have tried feeding it, starving it, watering it, letting it dry out, spraying it with water, letting it become pot bound, repotting it to a generous pot and everything else we can think of.

applespider
15 Sep '20

Not entirely sure whether this applies to Strelitzia but many houseplants don’t flower without a lot of light. By which I mean pretty much outdoors in the summer with higher humidity than we have indoors - although being in your bathroom probably helps on the second point.

I have a Hoya Linearis which allegedly can flower but sometimes only on the 3rd or 4th year of being potbound and after lots of light… Luckily I love her long strands so a flower would be a bonus. And she’s nicknamed Rapunzel…

Flora_Noris
17 Sep '20

I don’t really have the best light in my flat, and have some successful Basil and Thyme on a windowsill, but I’d like to start with a larger proper potted indoor plant. Anyone have any suggestions what type of plant wouldn’t struggle indoors to start off with?

ChrisR
17 Sep '20

Spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum) usually cope in most conditions and I have a “mother-in-laws tongue”(Sansevieria) that is over 30 years old that lived perfectly well for years in a corner of my hall which doesn’t get much light although it’s now in my very light living room but only because it got too large for the hall!

applespider
17 Sep '20

In theory, anything that doesn’t insist on full-sun, should be OK relatively near a window. So avoid jade plants and cacti. If you’ve got room to hang a plant near the window, strings of hearts/pearls etc are cute. Shannons had some amazing ‘string of pearls’ the other week.

Other succulents can work fairly well - and thrive on healthy neglect (i.e. waterwise!) further away from the windows.

Alocesia (very funky leaves), the Oxalis (purple plant above), Calatheas, Pothos (gorgeous vibrant green and can climb) are all pretty tolerant of medium light. M&S, Sainsburys etc have all had some of these lately. Chris R’s recommendations also good ones.

Monsteras really look like a ‘proper jungle houseplant’ and will tolerate medium light - so long as you rotate them enough that they don’t grow top heavy to the window.

i did notice that Peckham Organics (on Rye Lane) had some nice plant options the other day - at reasonable prices. Columbia Road is open again (with distancing apparently) which is a lovely Sunday morning out.

Word of warning though - it does get addictive so don’t blame us if a year from now you’re posting a pic like Fran!

Suze
17 Sep '20

They do tend to breed… there were none in this room at the start of lockdown

Fran_487
17 Sep '20

In a year I won’t be able to move to take another picture :joy: I’ll be found trapped in my living room, woven through the stalks of my monstera.

(Which incidentally is THE most difficult plant to re-pot, the damn thing takes less than 24 hours to complete re-orientate towards the sun)

ChrisR
17 Sep '20

thought you may be interested that Lidl have some good plant offers this week including a Swiss Cheese Plant (Monastera) in a basket @ £9.99 and some ferns.

clausy
18 Sep '20

Finally the excuse I’ve always wanted to go on a foray to Lidl in Sydenham!

Flora_Noris
18 Sep '20

Excellent thanks for that.

Flora_Noris
18 Sep '20

Thanks for that advice. I keep meaning to check out Columbia Road, I think a Sunday morning trip is in order.

clausy
18 Sep '20

Columbia Road is great - the only tricky thing is if you want to buy a few plants you need a car and parking isn’t easy in the area so beware

applespider
18 Sep '20

Go early… the crowds (although who knows right now) tend to arrive after their Sunday brunch as a tourist day. I took a big recycling soft tote up last time and got a box there for the bottom that I could fit 3-4 plants into and then carry reasonably easy on the Overground. The Peckham Organics shop that I mentioned looked like they bought from similar places - good selection and similar prices.

ChrisR
18 Sep '20

I’m sure I don’t need to remind you that for the next few weekends LO will only be operating from New Cross Gate to Hoxton! :laughing:

clausy
18 Sep '20

FYI, did a quick recce to Sydenham Lidl and all they have are a couple of calatheas, some cacti and not much else except outdoor grasses. No cheese plants or anything really good. Allium bulbs.

I would recommend B&Q in Bell Green - they have recently had an excellent selection of houseplants. My favourite is Forest on Frogley Rd just off Lordship Lane in ED though.

bektete
18 Sep '20

Hi all,

There are some amazing houseplants here! Lockdown has definitely been good for us indoor gardeners…

I wonder if any of you would have a couple of minutes to fill out my survey about your relationship with indoor plants?

Houseplant research survey

Much appreciated :blush: :herb:

clausy
18 Sep '20

Hi @bektete , welcome aboard. Just curious as to the context of the survey, can you give us some more colour, thanks.

bektete
18 Sep '20

Of course, thanks for asking @clausy

I’m lucky to be a trained horticulturist and I’ve spent a lot of lockdown helping friends and families purchase and look after houseplants.
Sadly, like many people, I have been made redundant and so I am doing some research to see if my plant knowledge might be marketable.

Would love to hear your thoughts :blush:

ChrisR
18 Sep '20

Thanks Clausy - maybe it’s because Sydenham is a smaller store. I prefer the larger and newer store on Lee High Road in Lewisham and usually combine it with a trip to Lewisham Market first!

clausy
18 Sep '20

Just some feedback based on the questions, I’m not sure I’d want to pay for advice on houseplants when I could pretty much get it from YouTube or the Internets in general if I had a question. I might expect some ‘expert advice’ if I buy something interesting from the Forest place I mentioned above but that would take 2 minutes and be free with the plant purchase experience.

What I would be interested in is something like Forest but more local where I can buy some more interesting stuff rather than whatever B&Q or Ikea do. Even the garden centres tend to go with old favourites so there’s not much variety or things that make you go ooh. If you show up at the Horniman market with a load of cool plants then I’ll be there every weekend for a browse and some advice on the side.

Edit: I forgot of course there’s Yolly on Dartmouth Road!

applespider
18 Sep '20

Agreed with @clausy. I have learned from a more or less standing start and when stuck, I use YouTube or Google to research and find out more. To me, that’s part of the fun - although perhaps that’s because none of my plants alone were particularly expensive. I haven’t bought huge plants; preferring to buy relatively small and bring them along.

Sourcing more interesting plants would potentially be interesting. I can partly see the appeal of repotting visits - particularly if you helped with providing potting mixes rather than people keeping multiple ‘ingredients’ around. Or for some people, potentially before taking cuttings from an old favourite.

I do think the Horniman Market idea is a great one. And good luck with finding something.

applespider
20 Sep '20

Inspired by @Fran_487 but with rather less style… here’s my plant family portrait - including the herbs but excluding repeats.

Fran_487
21 Sep '20

Ooh love it. And love that wall colour!!

Flora_Noris
21 Sep '20

Oh my that is rather inspiring! I have a little problem with finding my windowsill herb plants having a few little insects about, do you get that problem with that amount of plants?

applespider
22 Sep '20

No, I get the occasional little fruit fly but they tend to loiter by the herbs at the kitchen window and then disappear again. And fortunately :crossed_fingers:t3: I haven’t had any pest infestations on the others.

I suspect it helps that this is the first time they’ve ever had a family gathering; they’re usually a lot more spread out across the flat.

bektete
24 Sep '20

Thanks so much for your thoughts, really appreciate it! :blush: :herb:

bektete
24 Sep '20

Thanks @applespider appreciate you sharing your thoughts! :blush: :blush:

oakr
24 Sep '20

Firstly, what an amazing thread - some of these plants and collections are incredible!

@bektete, whilst this is not an ideal time for it, businesses of course do pay (in normal times) for people to come into their offices and look after plants etc - that could be an avenue. In homes this seems less likely, but who knows.

You could potentially try the youtube route etc and try to get a following with your tips and advice etc, maybe get some advertising or work that way, or commission via amazon type links for products etc. Good luck!

applespider
26 Sep '20

In January, I picked up a tiny little tradescantia to fit into a tiny Groot plant pot that I’d got in my secret Santa - I thought the purple hair suited him.

I repotted it in July and it took off but sadly became very leggy and elongated (not quite enough light, I suspect). Three weeks ago, I took the secateurs to it - and cut it into three parts. Two have now rooted into new little pots - so Groot has his pre-lockdown hairstyle back. And the bigger established stem has sprouted lots of vivid purple offshoots in its new brighter location.

Just goes to show that sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind… and take the plunge on cutting back.

clausy
30 Sep '20

From [Gone] Houseplants - FREE! I’ve taken a few cuttings of the ivy so if they work I’ll be happy to share them out, maybe in the spring…

I kind of make it up as I go along, so no guarantees but I’ve had some success with Camellia cuttings and money trees.

They rooted really well… helped to be in lockdown as they need to stay damp which means watering them at least every couple of days.

applespider
30 Sep '20

Ooh… that sounds great @clausy. Definitely interested in the ivy/pothos come spring… Hoping to have a few random things to share then too.

clausy
30 Sep '20

I wonder if we could organise a bit of a plant sharing economy - we could get something set up at one of the Horniman markets somehow.

applespider
30 Sep '20

oooh… a plant swap stall… that might be kinda fun. Bring one along, take one away…

FCherp
2 Oct '20

Hi everyone, I’ve recently moved to forest hill and reading this thread has made some so happy!

My houseplants are my pride and joy, and I’m just starting to get into growing my own veg too! I don’t have a family photo of my 40ish (!) plants but I’ll try and get one to show you all soon.

I think a plant swap/share would be so cool, I’m always after new plants and if i can get them local/from friends that’s even better :smile:

applespider
2 Oct '20

Welcome @FCherp to the neighbourhood and the forum.

We look forward to seeing some plants - and you, if we manage to sort out a cuttings swap at some point.

divya_m
2 Oct '20

I think this is the same plant as you and getting ready to flower for the first time in 3 years.

applespider
2 Oct '20

Oh how exciting. I’ve been told the flowers have a gorgeous scent.
I wonder if I could show my Hoya your post to inspire her!

clausy
9 Oct '20

Got these in FH Sainsbury’s yesterday for a fiver each including the ceramic pots. Bit of a steal!

clausy
11 Oct '20

I have to admit I’m quite enjoying propagating things. This is my latest succulent success. (Tiny one at the top)

applespider
11 Oct '20

A friend gave me a Jade a couple of months ago which was a tad spindly. So I chopped the top half off, have a couple of leaves set like yours and replanted the top. All seem to have rooted although nothing come through yet on the lone leaves. Hope I share your success! The original rooted section has bounced back nicely - three new outcrops.

Also had another succulent whose tip got knocked off (oops) so I took some of those leaves and tried propagating… they are super tiny but two are coming through…

And I have a lovely coffee plant which outgrew its original tiny ‘coffee’ pot planter so was thinking of what to use. Considered giant coffee mug or coffee tin - but they wouldn’t quite fit. So ordered a coffee sack to make a planter… it’s a tad bigger than I expected! Might end up with the monstera in it instead!

clausy
11 Oct '20

Those look great particularly the baby ones with the leaves coming out. Seems to me that not burying them too deep works best. Anyway trial and error… fun distraction

jonfrewin
12 Oct '20

Are you guys using some sort of rooting powder, or just leaving them in damp conditions and hoping?

clausy
12 Oct '20

For the camellias I did try some rooting stuff - couple of liquid drops in the watering can. Not sure if you really need it - just keep it damp. For the succulents, I’ve got a couple of stems working in regular compost and then went out to buy some succulent compost from Shannons too - you just stick them in and wait. It seems pretty easy.

applespider
12 Oct '20

I used a little bit of rooting powder as I had some to hand; not sure whether it’s strictly necessary. My burros tail seems to have developed tiny roots where its leaves have just fallen onto soil unattended. It might speed the process up a little.

I’ve got mine in a heavy on the perlite/compost mix - and have covered them over to help maintain humidity in slightly damp soil. Those little Miranda sprouts are in an small recycled spice tub with a clear lid and a few holes poked in the bottom.

cmcdonald1
15 Oct '20

Hi all,

This is such a gorgeous thread! Since moving, renovating the house in lockdown and then having a baby in NICU our house plants are very neglected.

Any advice for Calatheas? I have moved this all over the house and cut it right back but all the leaves seems to dry out really swiftly.

This also might be a sign of the times but our money plant has also really started to droop after previously being so full. Again is this a positioning thing?

Any help is very appreciated!

clausy
15 Oct '20

I have a couple - they’re in a fireplace mantle in my office - East facing window so they never get any sun, still pushing out new leaves. I don’t feed them, just keep them damp all the time.

applespider
15 Oct '20

Calatheas like humidity - I have two that generally end up a little crispy as it’s slightly too dry in the house. They’re also sensitive to chlorine and salts so over-fertilising can lead to brown bits. And agree with Claus - damp soil that you don’t let dry out as much as other plants.

Money tree sometimes means the jade (like the ones above) or can be a different species altogether. If it is the jade/crassula, then they like a lot of bright light/sunshine and not very much water.

applespider
4 Nov '20

@divya_m I joked about this month ago… but Rapunzel listened. I found a couple of little clusters a week or so ago - and then the other day, took her down to water and as I put her back up, found a few ready to bloom.

applespider
25 Nov '20

I found a picture from May this year of my Monstera just before I repotted him and was surprised by how much it had grown over the last six months. I bought it at @Shannonsgc about this time last year although obviously it didn’t grow much over last winter.

starman
25 Nov '20

I love the plant pot and stand. Do you recall where you got it?

applespider
25 Nov '20

Yes - I got it in John Lewis. They do it in two sizes - Medium and Large. This is the larger one.

starman
3 Dec '20

We got this plant from Shannons sometime early last year. Since then it has almost tripled in height and is really becoming untenable.

Anyone know what it is? And what we can do to make it more manageable?

ForestHull
3 Dec '20

Maybe @Shannonsgc know what it is? :slight_smile:

applespider
3 Dec '20

Fiddle Leaf Fig perhaps from the silhouette… And they grow quite quickly tall in good light which it would have next to the window.

Slowing it down? Put it somewhere a little darker, don’t put it in a bigger pot and perhaps get a bamboo cane to tie it to?

Shannonsgc
3 Dec '20

Hi

Yes the identification is correct- Ficus Lyrata also known as Fiddle Leaf Fig-

Its looks beautiful - they do like a bright spot (not direct sun) and is obviously loving the spot it is in. If you leave it in that smaller pot it will start to struggle as its roots will fill the pot and there will be no earth around it to hold the water or food. Maybe repot to a bigger pot in Spring and stand on the floor?

Other advice found online is -
What if I don’t want to move my fig into a larger pot?

Another option, especially for a large plant, is to trim the root ball carefully and repot the plant back into its old pot, adding new potting soil. Remember not to trim more than 20% of the root ball.

Trimming the roots will also keep the plant from growing much bigger, so this is an option when your plant has gotten as big as your house or office will accommodate!

Hope this helps!

applespider
16 Apr '21

Not much houseplant action over the winter. I ended up away for 8 weeks during lockdown and lost a few :cold_sweat: although happily none of my favourites.

I did gain a new friend via a cutting. Mum gave me a piece of her spotted begonia carefully transported in a kitchen roll tube which I propagated in a jam jar. 10 weeks later, it’s flourishing. Several new leaves, some shoots and the most glorious red iridescent underside.

KenHolloway
16 Apr '21

I have these ones on my desk, I 3D printed the pots.

HannahM
18 Apr '21

Those are great - you could sell them.

GillB
19 Apr '21

We have had this plant for years. We had it on our fireplace at first, but it got so big, I was going to get rid of it, so I put it in the bin! It refused to die, & I did regret it, so we retrieved it, put it into the bigger pot it is in now & normally it would be in front of the patio doors, but we are having a new kitchen installed, hence the mess.
It really is unbelievable. We did cut some of the stork off & tried to replant it, but it looked as though something attacked it, so had to bin it. It also survives on very little water. Will have to give it a trim again soon.

applespider
19 Apr '21

I agree with Hannah. They look fabulous. The low one on the end would suit a little bonsai perfectly.

applespider
2 May '21

My monstera was slurping water and drying out very quickly - with a few bottom leaves starting to yellow. It had doubled in size so I decided to check if it needed repotting. I’d last done it in June last year.

Got a lovely new Elho plant pot from Shannons and after a bit of wrestling to get the last pot off, I’m hoping she’ll perk back up.

Welshcake
2 May '21

Those are gorgeous, Clausy – also good to see the echeveria (?) has been left natural. Always makes me sad to see them on sale sprayed with paint and glitter.

applespider
12 Sep '21

Back in April, I posted my freshly planted up begonia, and now she’s flowering :grin:

ChrisR
12 Sep '21

Wow - that was worth doing!

system
26 Apr '22