Archived on 6/5/2022

SE23.life Meetup: June 2016, Sylvan Post

system
4 Jun '16

What does a Meetup Involve?

In May, four days after SE23.life went live, a few of our first members met at The Hill Lounge. Turns out we’re an interesting bunch and had a great evening getting to know each other and sharing ideas for SE23.life.

We’re keen to do it again in June. An open invitation to all forum members - a casual sit/stand get-together with no fixed agenda, and where you can feel comfortable just popping in for five minutes to have your profile verified, or stay and see where the night takes us.

Us @admins are keen to know how SE23.life can work better for you - I’ll exchange a drink of your choice for your insight :wine_glass: :tropical_drink: :beers:

Date

Thurs 30th is the clear winner from the poll

Venue

• The Perry Vale did lovely food, but their layout seemed to lend itself more to a restaurant atmosphere?

• The Sylvan Post could be good.

• Signal also (although they charged me £11.50 for a double G&T the other day, which was a bit of a stinger. I accidentally chose the good stuff!)

• I think we’d get a bit “lost” in the Capitol - it’s just so massive, and open plan. Let’s have the “after party” there if people are up for it. :wink: It is shutting down, after all.

• The Perry Vale
  • Sylvan Post
  • The Signal
  • Other - please comment below

0 voters

Booking / Numbers

Thanks for the offer of booking a space @Pauline. I’m not sure at this stage on numbers but let’s assume ten people

Whichever venue we choose, I reckon there’s some good PR in it for them! :tada:

Bar Tab

I’ve had one or two people interested in commercial posts lately. If any of these comes to fruition, I’ll put every penny of revenue behind the bar for the meetup.

thirstforwine
4 Jun '16

I think I can make the 30th. I agree that the Perry Vale is great for food, but not a place for just drinks at 7:30 on Thursday - I’ve voted

anon5422159
5 Jun '16

Looks like Sylvan Post is our choice! Any chance you could get in touch with them @pauline? I think space for ten should be sufficient.

Pauline
5 Jun '16

No worries Chris, being optimistic like I always am I’ll book for 15 :+1:

Also for future meetings we should add “The Railway Telegraph” (there’s an upstairs room we could use) & “All Inn One” (back room we could use) to the list, I think both would be good options & would work for future meet ups & always good to move it around between local businesses.

Any in HOP we can to this list?

anon5422159
5 Jun '16

I’m a big fan of the Railway Telegraph and I’d be interested to check out All Inn One.

Regarding HOP, I spoke to the guy serving in Hopscotch today and he was really positive about the site (he asked to put a poster up!) and sounds like we’d be welcome to host a future meetup there too.

anon5422159
5 Jun '16

3 posts were split to a new topic: Railway Telegraph to move into new hands

Pauline
8 Jun '16

Table for 15 has now been booked at The Sylvan Post for our next meet up. Might be a good idea if all can say if they’re coming or not incase we have to extend this :+1:

Brett
8 Jun '16

Not sure if I can make this one (I like the Sylvan Post though) but if you are after Honor Oak venues to consider then there is Watson’s General Telegraph, which has a craft beer wall, the General Napier, which I understand now has a real ale on tap (yet to confirm this though), London Beer Dispensary, more Crofton Park but great beer and burgers or the Honor Oak, which is really somewhere in between Honor Oak and Forest Hill.

anon5422159
8 Jun '16

Cheers Pauline!

Right then, folks, poll #2:

• :white_check_mark: I’m coming
  • I might be able to make it
  • :negative_squared_cross_mark: Can’t make it this time

0 voters

EmBrand
8 Jun '16

Hiya all, I am new to the Forum, so would love to come along and meet people. Will see you on the 30th.

Kate
8 Jun '16

I would like to come for drinks too with @EmBrand and Tibor who is also part of One Tree Hill.
Thanks so much for the invite @anon64893700 @anon5422159 @thirstforwine @Pauline

Pauline
8 Jun '16

Oh look forward to hanging out Kate & gang x

DickWynne
20 Jun '16

Look forward to meeting everyone – and getting certified.

TravelCounsellor
20 Jun '16

I would love to come along but am away that week on a training course. Def up for the next one. Will have to send @BMSE23 on my behalf , although I think he is planning to attend anyway, babysitter permitting :grin:

anon5422159
28 Jun '16

I have bought lots of sticky labels which I will print with the SE23.life logo. There’ll be space to write your username. Should help put names to faces. Will also be giving out mini cards if people want to hand them to friends to spread the word. Blew the stationary budget already!*

*there is no budget :money_mouth_face:

Pauline
28 Jun '16

Do we have to put our own names on the stickers, I recall we done this a long time ago at a Christmas drink up from another site & I think @Michael was me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

anon5422159
28 Jun '16

Yeah you can put whatever names you like on the labels. If you want to be “Pauline” for the night, @Michael, that’s fine. We’re a liberal bunch here aren’t we? :grinning:

anon64893700
28 Jun '16

Not sure I will make this yet.
Have an appointment on Thursday evening, so will have to see how I get on there, and if I am in a fit state to come along afterwards.
Sounds like it will be busy! :slight_smile:

Pauline
28 Jun '16

Oh, this should be fun, now to decide who I’m gonna be :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Michael
28 Jun '16

Would anybody be offended if I wasn’t @Pauline. Nothing personal.

system
30 Jun '16

Tonight’s the night!

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as will fit in the Sylvan Post (Dartmouth Road) tonight at 7:30pm

Top of our agenda tonight is meeting new members, welcoming them to our community, explaining anything that might be unclear and taking all feedback. This isn’t a formal meeting. SE23.life is all about building a friendly and inclusive community both on- and off-line.

We also want to speak to parents about new features and areas of the site tailored to their needs. People have contacted us about this directly and there is a lot of scope here for community-building.

The Sylvan Post is ready and prepared to receive a (possibly quite large) number of SE23.life members. We hear rumours they’ve padded and soundproofed their “Vault” room for anyone that indulges in Politicos discussion :wink:

BMSE23
30 Jun '16

Sorry but don’t think I’ll able to make this evening, my better half is away on a training course so I’m home with the kids. Have fun and I’ll definitely be at the next one!

Michael
30 Jun '16

I’m very pleased you’ve prepared the padded cell for me. I’ll feel right at home.

Pauline
30 Jun '16

I’ll be there from 6.30 with @Zoleipar from @TheArchieParker having a FH Food Assembly meeting, so see y’all there :slight_smile:

anon64893700
30 Jun '16

99.9% no show for me. Have fun all.

comoed
30 Jun '16

There is a 5% chance for me (not sure if thats better represented as 95% no show or not). Only after 21:00 though. Enjoy :beers:

RachaelDunlop
30 Jun '16

Sorry guys, unlikely to make it tonight, due to Life.

Londondrz
30 Jun '16

Will he there eight’ish let owing slightly dishevelled.

anon5422159
30 Jun '16

We’re sitting outside, me, @MajaHilton, @Pauline, @Zoleipar and @Simon so far

Londondrz
30 Jun '16

See you shortly.

Pauline
30 Jun '16

Sorry I hed to leave guys Xxx See ya soon x

Pauline
30 Jun '16

What a fun night!

Soz I had to soot off with my daughter,!

We’re snuggled up & cosy now Xxx

Londondrz
30 Jun '16

Really nice to meet most of you and sorry I was not able to say hello to you all. Lovely to meet new people and great to see some familiar faces. looking forward to the next one Chris!!

Pauline
30 Jun '16

Fluffy socks are on now .& my little C is at at dads! #Chillimg :ok_hand:

anon5422159
30 Jun '16

Glad you enjoyed it @Pauline and @Londondrz, me too! Pleasure to put faces to names and get to know people better - online is no substitute for meeting people in real life.

TimLund
1 Jul '16

Yes - good meet up. That red shirt I’m wearing is a cycle top for the Pru 100 I’m doing this year, raising money for Shelter.

As I was saying, I’ve become aware of how some people are quite uncomfortable about being asked to sponsor this sort of thing, so if you’d rather not, I understand.

But if you would like to sponsor me, here’s the link to my JustGiving page

Many thanks, and don’t hesitate to approach me to support your next good cause!