Archived on 6/5/2022

Mamma Dough

anon5422159
27 May '16

Never had a better pizza in London (or Italy, come to think of it) :two_hearts:

Presenting the “New Yorker”:

Great job on the restaurant’s repainted exterior too.

anon64893700
27 May '16

WANT this now!
Another place added to my must do list

jonfrewin
27 May '16

Have you tried Bona on Dartmouth Rd yet? I actually think it is slightly better than Mamma Dough… the crust is slightly chewier and crispier. But Mamma Dough also exceptionally good!

anon5422159
27 May '16

I have, and it’s also great! But there’s something about the passata sauce they use in Mamma Dough that tastes exquisitely fresh… and the toppings they use are excellent in general.

jrothlis
28 May '16

Both are delicious. The Bona dough is a lot chewier, which leads to a completely different eating experience – you can wolf Mamma Dough down, whereas you have to give Bona your full attention. I made the mistake of ordering two “white” pizzas (no tomato sauce) the only time I’ve been to Bona, so I need to go back and order some “red” ones to give it the full try. I think I still prefer Mamma Dough, but Bona is a very very close second. It’s amazing to have such great choices, and I’m so glad to live in such an awesome place as FH.

anon64893700
28 May '16

I’m hungry just from reading this reply @rotor lol

jrothlis
28 May '16

I suspect this may be for tea tonight! :smiley:

RachaelDunlop
28 May '16

Looks delicious. Do Mamma Dough deliver, though?

thirstforwine
28 May '16

No - unless they’ve changed recently. You can order a take-away if you go and collect it (I’ve done that before), but I don’t believe either of these places actually delivers it.

Could be a business opportunity for a local entrepreneur - do something like Deliveroo for the local area and deliver pizzas on behalf of the restaurants.

RachaelDunlop
28 May '16

I’m at the wrong end of SE23 to collect from Mamma Dough. So a walk to BoNa it is…

thirstforwine
28 May '16

I’ve never had a chance to visit Bona yet, though technically it is closer to me. My daughter is coeliac so we rarely go out to pizza places anyway, and neither of these has a gluten-free option (yet) as far as I know.

I can eat gluten, so I occasionally visit for a weekday lunch, but since Bona is not open for lunches, I’ve not had a chance to eat there yet despite many recommendations. Mamma Dough is lovely though.

thirstforwine
15 Jun '16

4 posts were split to a new topic: BoNa Pizza

Brett
29 May '16

Mamma dough pizza is exactly the same as SoDo was. The best in the area IMO though the pizza from Le Querce, when you can get it, is equally good. Have tried BoNa too and though it is very good it is not quite up to the same standard. A thicker, chewier base which I also found a little salty. The toppings were also a little less generous.

catparade
1 Jun '16

Mamma Dough do gluten free bases. They also have an option where you can have the toppings on Cannellini beans which is actually amazing!

So much love for Mamma Dough! Must try BoNa too

thirstforwine
1 Jun '16

thanks for that - it was certainly not available last time I asked, but that was a while ago I have to admit. Unfortunately the Cannellini beans option is not that attractive when it is for kids

have you tried their gluten-free bases?

catparade
2 Jun '16

Ha good point about the beans. Well for grown-ups they are delicious!
I have had the gluten free bases too, really enjoyed them but they aren’t sourdough - more like a traditional pizza base.

Pauline
3 Jun '16

Nice little mention for both in SE London Journal’s latest edition!

Brett
4 Jun '16

Yes. Also interesting to learn that Mamma Dough didn’t get the big feature because they declined to pay the £200 fee for it. Explains why Vaida’s didn’t appear in the cycling issue…

andrea
4 Jun '16

Can I just say: nobody asked us to pay £200.

CHfigaro
6 Jun '16

Mammadough is good but I do get frustrated with their constantly inaccurate timings for collections. I’d also like to see a few more standard toppings available to supplement the regular menu e.g mushrooms being available every day and not just when there is a special with that particular topping.

Brett
6 Jun '16

I’d agree with that @CHfigaro - re timings we have learned that the pizza arrives about 3 times faster than front of house say it will!

Am also a little disappointed that they are no longer opening for lunch during the week, just Friday to Sunday. Seems a little short sighted to me especially with summer here and school holidays not far off.

thirstforwine
15 Jun '16

We bought some pizzas the other night and my wife said:

“best gluten free pizza base I’ve had!”

on to a winner there I think :wink:

Gary_Brown
15 Jun '16

I second Bona over Mamma Dough

thirstforwine
15 Jun '16

A post was split to a new topic: Pizza at Trattoria Raffaele

anon5422159
17 Jun '16

10 posts were split to a new topic: Unruly Kids in Restaurants :tired_face:

fran
17 Jun '16

Why can’t I access the ‘unruly kids in restaurants’ conversation?

anon5422159
17 Jun '16

I moved this topic into the Lounge (which is accessible to all members who’ve been on the site for a while, and those who have got themselves verified).

The reason I moved the topic was because it was a rant (my bad) and I didn’t want to associate it too heavily with Mamma Dough, and also I didn’t want to bother new visitors with a visible disagreement.

anon5422159
20 Jul '16

Currently enjoying the lovely weather, sitting outside Mamma Dough and waiting for a New Yorker.

Pretty hacked off at the smokers wafting into my face. So much for getting some fresh air, dining al fresco :sob:

Absolutely love the sloppy tomato sauce (passata?) at Mamma Dough - it tastes so fresh compared to other places. And the slightly burnt base is lovely and crisp too.

RachaelDunlop
20 Jul '16

Which just goes to show it’s all a matter of taste and there’s a pizza for everyone in SE23!

CHfigaro
20 Jul '16

You inspired me; just collecting a takeaway!

Mark_Gowen
21 Jul '16

I’ve been a self-confessed pizza snob for over 30 years and when they opened as Sodo, after years of waiting for a decent pizzeria, was so unimpressed that I decided to one day build my own pizza oven. Reading this thread I’m almost tempted to try them again… Realistically though, they’ll never be as good … or as fresh… As mine!!! :smiley:

anon5422159
30 Aug '16

:+1:

CHfigaro
31 Aug '16

It was potty for them to be closed on Bank Holiday Mondays!!

starman
31 Aug '16

I’m waiting for announcement of deliveries.

Brett
31 Aug '16

It won’t happen. A key reason Dominos were not able to open a delivery hub is that this would have caused mopeds to use a cycle/pedestrian only route at junction Grierson/Honor Oak Park adjacent to restaurant.

MattB
31 Aug '16

Oh joy. The one period of the week we got a break from them, gone.

Thank christ we’re moving soon.

starman
31 Aug '16

I’ve been sensing some passive aggressive behaviour towards Mama Dough.

anon5422159
31 Aug '16

From what I understand of the underlying issue, it’s very localised, and has been taken up with the correct authorities by @MattB. He also messaged the forum moderators here about it and we agreed there’s not much that the community can do to resolve the situation, so probably best not raised here.

MattB
31 Aug '16

Yeah, sorry. I think I should leave the forum.

I came here to try and get more out of living in the area, but every time I see Mamma Dough mentioned I just end up thinking about my wife being in tears because the flat she spent three years turning into a beautiful place to live, has been completely ruined by these selfish anti-social jerks.

We’ve had an offer on a place miles away, so we’ll finally be rid of them. And perhaps it’s for the best if I move away from this forum too.

Apologies again.

anon5422159
31 Aug '16

No need to apologise, and no need to leave the forum. Appreciate you taking the time to contact the mod team, and I sympathise a lot with the situation you were in.

CHfigaro
15 Dec '16

Service here seems to be getting worse and worse

starman
16 Dec '16

I had me some Mama Dough courtesy of Deliveroo. Not quite sure the product travels well. The dought was limp and soggy by the time I got it. Must try it instore one time. I see they are also in Peckham and Brixton.

anon17648011
16 Dec '16

Same experience: very soggy dough on delivery. Won’t be ordering again and I’m afraid it rather put me off visiting the restaurant (unless people can assure me the dine-in product is markedly better?). This may be a “sourdough” issue anyway as I’ve noticed similar soggy bottom issues at Franco Manca on occasion.

anon86223367
16 Dec '16

Lucky to live a stones throw from this place and haven’t had a bad pizza yet inside or takeaway. I guess the boxes and heat don’t go well with the pizza or ingredients over a period of time.

Hopefully Voodoo Ray’s opens up over in Peckham soon.

Irmani_Smallwood
16 Dec '16

Dine in is delicious, but I agree it doesn’t travel very well - nor does the wonderful Bona either. One to enjoy in person I think!

starman
16 Dec '16

Agree re: Bona.

Stephen
16 Dec '16

Must be slow delivery, I’ve done collection and driven back home to the other side of the south circular and the pizzas have been great, but I’m always there just as they come out of the oven.

Brett
16 Dec '16

I think that the pizza boxes must be put in a delivery bag as this would make them soggy - the boxes have holes for this reason. The pizzas on site are superb as they are takeaway too.

anon5422159
22 Jul '17

At last! :+1:t2:

Mark_Gowen
24 Oct '17

Update … my garden pizza oven was finished Aug 2016 and 200+ pizzas later there’s no way I am ever ordering a local pizza again. Thank you Mamma Dough for changing my life forever … :slight_smile:

ThorNogson
24 Oct '17

would you put up a pic Mark, or share design details of what you built? I have built a decent clay woodfired oven in the past, but would like to consider some more efficient options for a self build.

Foresthillnick
24 Oct '17

Seconded - I am planning a garden redesign and a pizza oven may be part of it…

RachaelDunlop
24 Oct '17

I’m hiding this thread from my OH as a matter of urgency…

CHfigaro
24 Oct '17

I’d also be keen to see this. Whilst Mammadough is nice, I do think it’s very pricey and have also been considering a pizza oven in my garden. My wife thinks it would be a white elephant, however!

FaeryCatmother
24 Oct '17

This is a good alternative. Smaller and less permanent.
https://www.kadai.co.uk/shop/view/76-FESTIVE-OFFERS/1503-Pizza-Oven

Londondrz
24 Oct '17

As an owner of 14 bbq’s I have been looking at BBQ pizza ovens. And why not :smile:

anon5422159
3 Nov '17

Mamma Dough is branching out beyond Honor Oak:

Dave
3 Nov '17

Ladywell will be the fourth branch since the split with the North/East London partners.

Brixton and Peckham been going for a while.

Emily
5 Nov '17

No-one could ever say we’re short of pizza around here…

anon5422159
29 Oct '18

In Mamma Dough this eve, very excited to be eating in my regular haunt again.

I asked the waiter how things were since Dominos moved in down the road. Apparently it’s all good. The two restaurants serve “different clientele” :+1:

Twitter
15 May '19
Mark_Gowen
19 Jun '19

Jerry
19 Jun '19

Sometimes, words are not necessary…

Thanks Mark!