Archived on 6/5/2022

More wheelie bin annoyance

anon64893700
7 Sep '17

Following on from the recent discussions on bins being left out. What are your opinions on them being left on the road to “reserve” parking spaces?

https://lewisham-consult.objective.co.uk/portal/petitions/use_of_bins_to_reserve_parking_spaces

Dave
7 Sep '17

Fine if people do it because of a special event (generally moving house is the one I am thinking of).

People who do it to park their car outside their house should not expect anything other than their bin being shifted onto the pavement out of the way, though.

Is this really very common? Has anyone seen it happening regularly?

anon64893700
7 Sep '17

I can think of a few streets I have seen it on on an almost daily occurrence. Sadly people do feel a sense of entitlement.

Same house, different years… Yup, THAT predictable.

Wynell
7 Sep '17

What i find snnoying is prople who refuse to pay for a dropped kerb to access a parking place, yet get irate if you park legally at the side of the road.

Heard the excuse waiting for it to be built …hmm Lewisham contractors tske 4 years?

starman
7 Sep '17

I get annoyed when someone blocks our off road parking space with dropped kerb even though we don’t have a car.

Wynell
7 Sep '17

Get an £80.00 white ‘H’ bar painted by the council not perfect but does dissuade the majority of inconsiderate parking. Buy a cheap car put it on SORN and park on drive. Get some duct tape and stick a polite notice on offending car windscreen.

Londondrz
8 Sep '17

You can get no parking labels off Amazon. They need fire or at least a laser to remove them. That said, if you don’t have a car why does it annoy you?

topofthehill
8 Sep '17

I don’t have a car and it annoys me too. I use a walking aid so it is far easier to get into friends’'s cars and cabs by wheeling over the dropped kerb instead of having to lift the walking aid over the pavement kerb. A car has been parked over my dropped kerb for several days now - it is making me really angry!

Bolgerp
8 Sep '17

It’s annoying as it always seems to happen when we have someone coming around who does have a car/van.

starman
8 Sep '17

The comment was more tongue in cheek. But it is a bit rude if you park in front of what is obviously an off street parking spot. And as @Bolgerp notes particularly annoying if you’re expecting people who would otherwise use it.

Michael
8 Sep '17

Perhaps the council should remove dropped kerbs from houses that don’t have a registered car. That would be fairer on visitors to your neighbours.

starman
8 Sep '17

Hahahahah.

Wonder how our cash strapped council would fund a registration program. Or pay for the raising of curbs. You might as well then start introducing CPZ in the area and charge all households for parking. And charge households with multiple cars extra.

The fact is there is no shortage at least of on street parking on Sunderland Road at any time of the day. If any of our neighbours needed additional parking space for guests, and we weren’t using it, we’d happily lend them ours. We’re neighbourly that way. Parking in front of someone’s off street parking is not.

Londondrz
8 Sep '17

Ditto as mine was tongue in cheek as well. We had an issue with next door having taken the fence down and parking over a raised curb. We complained but they were the lot that ended up inside so at least that problem went away.

Bolgerp
8 Sep '17

Ha… LOL

anon64893700
8 Sep '17

I have plenty of off street parking, and an old heavy car. Block my drive at your own risk :wink:

starman
8 Sep '17

Here’s one way to use the fox shit in the garden.

Londondrz
8 Sep '17

You are obsessed with fox shit :grin:

starman
8 Sep '17

That was the other half.

Londondrz
8 Sep '17

I believe Sir that you are wrong. Look up 3 posts. Specsavers looms for you :sunglasses:

starman
8 Sep '17

Once. But I am juggling files at work right now so am getting many things mixed up. Bring on 6pm (ish).

Londondrz
8 Sep '17

A poor excuse but we are kindred spirits in that alcohol refreshes the parts other drinks cannot. :champagne::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DevonishForester
8 Sep '17

There would be fewer excuses for blocking the road with bins, if the Borough Councils in London were more helpful reserving spaces when needed. Currently Lewisham and other Councils will only reserve a parking area e.g. for removals, if the road is in a Controlled Parking Zone. So residents in this case may have no choice but to use bins, planks, cones etc

It seems wrong to me that someone moving house has the additional stress of trying to block off a space for a removals lorry. The Council makes an exception for their own works, e.g. tree surgeons, but the ordinary resident is not helped. The fee is high if you’re in a CPZ and need a bay blocked off, feels like a tax on moving house, which is already very expensive without this additional punitive fee from the Council.

Regular offenders - well I would favour them being charged with obstructing the Highway.

GillB
8 Sep '17

The lovely people opposite us do put their bins in the road, but the elderly mother is only just getting on her feet, so they put them there to get her in the car quickly. To be honest our roads & Grierson Road are normally full with people parking before they go to the station, so can’t say I blame them!

Londondrz
9 Sep '17

As I found out when we moved, you may reserve a space outside your house for removals, the council will put up a notice but is powerless to stop people parking there. All they can do is fine them hence we had to resort to putting bins out the night before the removals vans arrived with polite notices asking people not to park there. They still did.

starman
9 Sep '17

Thats a positive change. They offered nothing when we moved in early 2016. As noted it was a final bit of unneeded stress. Fortunately not a problem on the day. No bins needed.

DevonishForester
10 Sep '17

I don’t think anything has changed. You can, for a fee, reserve a bay in a CPZ, but not where there is no CPZ

They can tow away offending vehicles.

Londondrz
10 Sep '17

No they can’t, not according to the parking scooter guy and Lewisham parking where I paid for the permit.

DevonishForester
10 Sep '17

Curious. I wonder why Lewisham doesn’t tow illegally parked vehicles? It happens in other Boroughs on a daily basis. Do you have the energy to follow up and report back to us?

anon5422159
17 Sep '17

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to deal with Abandoned Vehicles

In response to off-topic flag

clausy
30 Sep '17

Jumping on this thread to have a bin rant

People dumping their crap in my paid for brown bin which I left out on the street. Seriously.

Are they still emptying brown bins? I wonder if they refused to empty it because of the black bag bin liner (obviously not mine).

RachaelDunlop
30 Sep '17

Yes, Lewisham explicitly say they won’t empty recycling or green waste bins if there are black bags in them. This is because the bag might hide inappropriate items. Someone has been very cheeky indeed. If you want that bin emptied, you’ll have to empty the bag. And maybe tape a note to the bin saying you have CCTV set up to catch anyone doing it again. :wink: