Archived on 6/5/2022

Music in St Davids basement

anon5422159
8 Feb '17

Sorry @StDavid but occasionally the music down here is a bit of an acquired taste. And a bit loud!

After a unanimous vote from subterranean punters, we took matters into our own hands…

RachaelDunlop
8 Feb '17

I had to ask for the music to be turned down downstairs the other day - it was already covered with a cushion and still too loud! Just a thought, but could we have NO music downstairs, @StDavid? It’s the nature of that space that sound is more intrusive than upstairs, even at a low level. Silence would be golden.

anon5422159
8 Feb '17
  • :loud_sound: Keep the downstairs music as-is
  • :sound: Quieter music downstairs
  • :mute: No music downstairs
  • :expressionless: Don’t care
  • :thinking: Other (please comment)

0 voters

starman
8 Feb '17

I find spaces such as St. David’s off putting without some background music. Its for this reason I hardly ever go to the Capitol. The silence lets you hear the despair.

Michael
8 Feb '17

I’ve voted to keep it as it is, but I haven’t been downstairs (haven’t actually been in there for a couple of years now).

#DemocracySucks

LeeHC
8 Feb '17

I’m inclined to agree- st davids is not a rent-a-desk unit. Silence would be rather offputting to those using it as a coffee shop and not an ersatz office. I am not bemoaning those using it in this fashion but some kind of balance needs to be drawn, it could easily become uncomfortable to those chatting over lunch/coffee were it deathly silent but for the click of keys!

RachaelDunlop
8 Feb '17

I think we’ve all got used to music in cafes, but it hasn’t always been the norm, has it? I’ve eaten in plenty of restaurants and cafes with no music and it’s fine. Other people’s conversation quickly becomes background noise in itself.

If people do want music down there, it would be nice to at least have it a bit lower. I’m fairly noise sensitive and I find it really uncomfortable. It’s not a matter of making it an ersatz office. I would find it hard to carry on a conversation over the current level, or read a book.

RachaelDunlop
8 Feb '17

Thank you for outing yourself for voter fraud. We’ll take that into account when tallying the poll.

LeeHC
8 Feb '17

A fair comment- I think I’m just used to it and often enjoy some music in there! No problem with turning it down though, I guess the staff tend to be upstairs and not always aware if it gets a bit ear-bleeding…

Michael
8 Feb '17

That’s not fraud. I demand you include my vote in your tally, unless you are using a clever system of electoral college votes, in which case fair-enough - I lose.

Londondrz
8 Feb '17

I must admit, when I met Chris and Rachael in there the other day I found it very hard to hear them. Lol at Michael.

StDavid
8 Feb '17

Wow a whole topic about the music downstairs :sweat_smile: Erm NO we won’t be getting rid of our music downstairs or in our whole cafe for that matter, but it’s on the LONG list of things to sort. I’m well aware it’s sometimes loud down there from time to time - the customers needs are a contestant worry and thought of mine - but running a small business is hard and money often tight so it’s on a list to be sorted, along with the door (please don’t start a topic on that too) and many other things that niggle. Do bare with is we will get it sorted soon -

RachaelDunlop
8 Feb '17

Oh, the door…

Don’t panic, @stdavid, we still love you. But if you find cushions over the speakers, you’ll know why!

starman
8 Feb '17

Was that a bad thing?

Londondrz
8 Feb '17

It was a blessing. For them.

Michael
8 Feb '17

Very funny response @hillview (in a parallel universe)

Michael
8 Feb '17

Wouldn’t be embarrassing to me.

Pauline
8 Feb '17

Well said Sian xxx

I must say as much as all our local independent businesses want to cater for everyone in our community we might not get everything right for everyone all the time

We do all actually try a lot though & it’s not easy sometimes :slight_smile:

FH is a diverse area with not a great footfall & I think most of us do our best & also support each other.

Though I for one & sure most others do appreciate all feedback to try to get things on point,

Lol that was a funky saying for me “On Point” getting too old for this new lingo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My point being (and I hope no one is annoyed with this) it’s tough out there running a business & we are trying our best to do what locals want from us.

So I say keep telling us & we will keep listening :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: & do our best :+1::+1::+1:

Pauline
8 Feb '17

@anon5422159 & @Michael enough guys on this thread whatever it is or I’ll come track you both down with my nerf gun :rofl::rofl:

Get back into Politicos for this kind of stuff

Pauline
8 Feb '17

After all that I think I will dream of the most amazing bacon sandwich in FH tonight & hopefully I have enough time to pick one up from @StDavid in the morning, as they are utterly AMAZING & the best in SELondon by far :yum::yum::yum:

fourstar
11 Feb '17

Seconded on the bacon sandwich! I ‘accidentally’ ordered two the other day :flushed:

robin.orton
12 Feb '17

No we haven’t. It’s called ‘noise pollution.’

RachaelDunlop
27 Feb '17

I was in this morning and happy to report the music was at a perfect level in the basement. Had a delicious pastis de natal with my flat white. Yum.

The place was buzzing mid-morning. I arranged to meet a friend there, confident in the knowledge there would be seats. Before the basement opened, we’d often meet elsewhere rather than trek to St David and find it full. All power to @StDavid and their basement!

Marina
6 Mar '17

Just wanted to commend St David’s music taste…every time I’ve been in, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the diverse selection. Currently enjoying my coffee and cake listening to Nick Cave! Bliss. Thanks St David’s for making my morning.

Ps: the ambience and volume are spot on :slight_smile:

Michael
6 Mar '17

Your mention of Nick Cave made my odd brain connect to John Cage and his excellent work 4’33" which can be heard playing regularly at The Capitol. It also happens to be the only piece of music I can play on the bagpipes.

Marina
6 Mar '17

Haha… Well that’s a different type of ‘sound’.

Londondrz
6 Mar '17

My father used to play the bagpipes. He stopped one day. We were very happy. :grin:

starman
6 Mar '17

Outside of my office is a busker who plays the bagpipes. He plays three songs. The theme from Star Wars. Enter Sandman. And usually something by Adele. Three is all he needs as his customers usually move on. I on the other hand get 4 hours of three songs in rotation. I am looking for a high power sniper rifle if anyone has one.

Londondrz
6 Mar '17

Happy to oblige. Do you have a clear line of site from your house or will I need my urban Ghillie suit?

starman
6 Mar '17

No. I have clear line of sight from my office. And advantages through extraterritoritality.

AndyS
6 Mar '17

As Noel Coward said, “A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion - but doesn’t.”

Londondrz
6 Mar '17

OK, time and date need to be worked on. Do you want him dead or just the bagpipes out of commission?

starman
6 Mar '17

Somewhere in between

Londondrz
6 Mar '17

OK, shot through the bagpipes and fleshy part of the shoulder with a .22 long rifle. :grin:

Anotherjohn
7 Mar '17

Classy!

Lewis_C_Barfoot
8 Mar '17

For those locals who enjoy a spot of music in the basement. Come on down on 5th April in the evening. I’m playing 2 solo sets of music, It’s folky, it contemporary, its full of rich storytelling and I’ve a fine ethereal voice to transport you on a vocal voyage away from the city.
All cushions in attendance will be sat on. Lewis x

anon5422159
8 Mar '17

A post was merged into an existing topic: St David Coffee House makes “Best 9 Coffee Shops” - Evening Standard