Archived on 6/5/2022

Non human visitors & residents of SE23

thirstforwine
1 Jun '16

As someone who works from home and walks around the area, I’m around SE23 a lot and I get to recognise familiar faces. Some of those faces are not human residents (or their pets), but other regular visitors.

I thought it would be fun to share some of my photos of these visitors. If you get a chance to snap some too, please do share as we are very lucky here, despite our central location, to have so much green space to attract these other visitors.

The Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Male Stag Beetle

https://www.instagram.com/p/3cBcG0p4ko/?taken-by=thirstforwine

Fox Lazing in Sun (and uncut lawn)

RachaelDunlop
1 Jun '16

Nice shot of the woodpecker. I have some similar. I also have a photo somewhere of our woodpecker knocking the bejeezus out of my wooden bee house. They are terribly shy, scooting around the trunk of the tree when I try to take photos.

We also have jays, wrens, blue tits, magpies (thugs) a pair of doves, robins and a pair of blackbirds. Mr Blackbird has been singing with gusto of late (and as if on cue, there he goes).

A fox cub was spotted by my OH last night. The dog is now on the lead when he goes out at night. Just in case…

anon64893700
1 Jun '16

Great pics, love the one of the fox. Got a few pics like that of my own, foxes that don’t even move when approached.

squashst
1 Jun '16

And the famous Honor Oak Tiger is sometimes on the prowl.

magse23
2 Jun '16

I think the woodpecker holidays next door to me - they are birdlovers and we have a glorious variety

thirstforwine
2 Jun '16

yes, all those here too (I do love the busy little birds). As you say, the Magpies are a pain. I was trying to work out what was destroying the climbing rose, then this morning saw the Magpies pecking at it. They’re obviously eating the aphids (yay!) but sadly a young rose shoot is not strong enough to take their weight so they keep tearing them off (boo!).

The funniest thing is when we get a three way battle in the garden between foxes, squirrels and the crows - they’re all brazen around here. Sadly I’ve not captured it on camera to document the gang warfare.

RachaelDunlop
2 Jun '16

The wrens make a nest every year in the underside of our rather lovely Juliet balcony. The kitchen door opens beneath and we are often treated to the ear splitting sound of the mama wren enticing her fledglings out.

This year, they all fell out of the nest and died when no bigger than half my little finger, with tiny tufts of down on their heads. No idea what happened, but there was a grim clearing up job to do. Seven in total.

To cheer you up, here’s one of my robins, and a very fine and glossy false widow spider.

anon5422159
11 Jun '16

6 posts were split to a new topic: Beautiful Moths of SE23

TimLund
9 Jun '16

Being on the books of a PR agency as willing to talk about hedgehogs - it follows a chain of events which started with one being found dying in Dacres Wood last year - I’ve had someone from the Japanese public broadcaster NHK round recently. This morning he took away a memory card from a camera which he’d left by a hedgehog hole I’d constructed in a fence - apparently there had been 21 triggers, but he didn’t have his laptop to view them then and there.

I suspect if one had been of a hedgehog, he’d have told me by now, but if one was, you can be sure I will be sharing it here!

thirstforwine
9 Jun '16

I’ve not seen a hedgehog since I lived in Kent about 30 years ago. Would love to know if there were any locally, though I suspect the combination of South Circular and huge urban fox population locally makes that unlikely

Londondrz
9 Jun '16

We had one in the garden a few years ago running around like a mad thing. It died with what looked like a flea infestation. Poor thing.

Pauline
9 Jun '16

I had a family of hedgehogs living in my garden a few years ago - the mum was massive & sounded like she was running around with high heels on, the dad was normal size and after they got very comfortable showing themselves any time of the day a couple of very small ones appeared.

My kids & neighbours kids used to come in to feed them & loved it & the hedgehogs loved Sunday’s as they got left over meat from roast.

I’m not big on nature so not sure if I fed them the right things but they were happy for the few months they lived in my garden & were very comfortable with sitting & being given food from all that did in that environment obviously being quiet & careful.

Must say this was a pretty awesome experience!

thirstforwine
10 Jun '16

This little rascal thinks it owns MY garden …

RachaelDunlop
10 Jun '16

Tiger moths are gorgeous. And often out and about during the day, so easier to see than some.

We have a vixen and her three young cubs as regular evening visitors at the moment. If any of our puppy’s toys are left outside in the evening they are likely to get appropriated. Cue sound of his favourite squeaky toy getting fainter and fainter as it is carried away across the neighbourhood…

TimLund
11 Jun '16

It’s not so much the South Circular that will be a problem, as any barriers to their range - e.g . garden fences without gaps, which is what this was all about

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/01021/c5bc2bec-9917-11e5_1021943c.jpg

Story here

Foxes aren’t a problem - in fact, indirectly I think they help, because there are some kind hearted souls who leave out food for foxes, which actually gets eaten by hedgehogs. When the guy from NHK was around, looking for places to capture hedgehogs on film, he very much wanted to know of any neighbour feeding foxes.

anon5422159
11 Jun '16

:tired_face: don’t trigger me, Tim! :wink:

https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/551917

PS. In the spirit of maintaining positivity in this forum, this will be the only post from me on the subject of fox feeders

RachaelDunlop
11 Jun '16

Meanwhile, we are setting up a rescue mission here for Henry the pup’s favourite toy, which we can see just over the the fence with several other of his toys, at the entrance to the foxes’ den. We can’t quite work out what house the other garden belongs too (curving road behind) so may just discretely hop the fence and back again. These homeless canines, coming into our cities and stealing our puppies’ toys. Disgraceful.

Londondrz
13 Jun '16

@anon5422159 I remember that one :joy:

Clair
12 Aug '16

Wildlife in the neighbours back garden

Snail Patch for my Gnome.

starman
12 Aug '16

BOOM! Was there an outcome?

blushingsnail
12 Aug '16

Has anyone else seen dragonflies (or damsel flies - I can’t tell the difference) in the area? I saw one a few weeks ago over front gardens on Perry Rise and earlier this week there was one over my back garden (near junction of Perry Rise/Vale). I assume it/they are coming from the Pool River about 1km away, or possibly the ponds at Dacres Wood.

The London Wildlife Trust website has a link for reporting sightings:

http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/dragonfly-detectives?gclid=CKz3oLmuvM4CFYYp0wodRaMPmA

and also for reporting sightings of stag beetles, kestrels and owls.

Which reminds me, has anyone heard about the Peregrine Falcons in Lewisham town centre? I thought I saw a bird of prey on the Citibank building one evening last week and I’ve just Googled and there is in fact a purpose-built nest box for Peregrine Falcons on the roof, so it must have been either one of the parents or the fledglings that I saw. I was at the bus stop outside the police station and apparently that is a good place to view them from:

appletree
13 Aug '16

We get very large dragonflies. Also tiny frogs. There are several foxes using our garden as a place to sun themselves, though I think the den is next door. I feel honored whenever they’re in the garden. Have never seen a hedgehog, unfortunately.

Peaceofcakeevents
15 Aug '16

For the first time in ages found a frog in a neglected bucket.

Unfortunately he was forced to become a refugee after being hunted by a cat and was evacuated after spending some 20 mins under bin lid protection due to the unwanted attentions of said cat who made every effort to prise the frog from its place of safety

armadillo
18 Aug '16

Found this little guy hanging out on my bathroom window this evening - anyone got any ideas what he might be?

RachaelDunlop
18 Aug '16

It’s a cricket.

Dave
18 Aug '16

This thread reminded me of when we had fox cubs visiting a few years ago - yes, they’re a pest, but they were cute.

More recently, we have a great tree outside the front of the house. Some visitors earlier in the year were very interested in the blossom.

These ones were just looking for somewhere to rest. Honey bees who had left their old hive in a swarm. A beekeeper came and collected them.

starman
18 Aug '16

A regular visitor in the garden. Keeping a sharp eye out when cutting the grass.

anon64893700
19 Aug '16

Loving those pictures @Dave

anon5422159
19 Aug '16

If there was one picture that could change my attitude towards urban foxes I think that’s it - just lovely. Thanks for sharing, @Dave

starman
19 Aug '16

How many cubs?

Daffodil
19 Aug '16

We always get lots of frogs in the garden, you don’t need a massive pond, mine is literally a bucket sunk into the ground with some pond iris growing in it (which makes a nice plant in itself) and some stones around the edge for shelter. Hopefully the frogs help with the local slug population!

I will try and get a photo (when it stops raining…)

Daffodil
19 Aug '16

Here is one of our frogs, sitting on an old space hopper. It was inside a wooden box with some other old garden toys and the frogs seemed to take a real liking to it (I guess it was cat-safe) and it I couldn’t bear to clear it out! The box fell apart this year so I’ve been trying to make some new spaces for the frogs.

RachaelDunlop
19 Aug '16

He’s a bit knobbly for a frog - sure he’s not a toad?

Daffodil
19 Aug '16

Yes quite knobbly but also quite jumpy whereas toads tend to crawl more I think? Either way they are very welcome!

oakr
24 Aug '16

We have the same - well smaller! Literally a plan seed tray, filled with water, few stones and one plant, put in the shade of the shed. Put tadpoles and froglets I’d raised in the house in an aquarium in it. Had a look tonight, 1 large frog in there, 1 must be from last year and a couple from this year in there. They are not eating enough slugs mind you! Will try and get picture tomorrow.

oakr
24 Aug '16

I put some photos up in the SE23 photos, I guess I should have posted them here, anyway… couple more:

The arch enemy

Wren

Dancing Juvenile Starling

Woodpecker

Daffodil
24 Aug '16

Lovely photos!

Daffodil
24 Aug '16

Yes you really don’t need a massive pond - I think sometimes people are wary of ponds because of children, but you can get quite a lot of wildlife in just a very small bucket / tray which poses no danger at all.

oakr
24 Aug '16

So here is ours, this is about 1/4 of the size so not big. I have a 2 year old and am \ was worried about having a pond (I filled in our pre-kid one :frowning: ) and so on this one although it is very small I have a metal grate over it (I had it spare from one of those pop up greenhouses), with a heavy plant pot on top so it can’t be moved and some rocks which also provide cover for the frogs. I can sleep and the frog maybe get some extra protection. I’ve let the grass grow longer around it so they get some cover. Not very easy to see due to bad photo, but there are 4 frogs in there!

TimLund
6 Sep '16

Second time I’ve seen one of these recently, in my garden

It’s a newt - almost certainly a smooth newt - in case anyone was wondering.

It probably bred in the pond in Dacres Wood, which is about 200m away - I spoke to Lewisham’s Ecology officer about this, and it seems no one quite knows how newts and other amphibians manage to travel such distances from where they breed.

Set me thinking about the size of their inside legs - maybe 5 mm? On which basis, it’s walked the equivalent of about 30 km for a human.

oakr
6 Sep '16

I hope you were not cooking him! :grinning:

DevonishForester
23 Feb '17

Intense frog activity already. Seems a bit earlier than last year? (I have video but the system didn’t allow upload of the MP4 file)

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

Hi @DevonishForester - if alternatively you pop the video on YouTube or Vimeo and paste the link here, it will show as a nice embedded video on the forum. Sharing to YouTube or Vimeo is supported on iPhone and Android I believe. PM me if I can help further. Thanks.

anon22025233
23 Feb '17

Excellent thread :slight_smile:

armadillo
19 Mar '17

Here are two little baby fox cubs we maneged to rescue from under our neighbours shed rarlier today, where it looks like their mother had died while with them several days ago. While not a particular lover of urban foxes, hearing them crying and nustling up to their mother for food was heartbreaking, even more so as their cries got weaker over the last 24 hours. Many thanks to the RSPCA for their advice yesterday, and for coming out today to help pick them up as well as disposing of the mothers body. After a brief warm up and some food, they’ve been taken to the Fox Project in Kent were hopefully they’ll make a full recovery, and in time, be introduced into some Kent country wilderness.

TimLund
19 Mar '17

A sheep farmer from Carmarthenshire I know told me this story once. Somebody saw an unfamiliar van on one of the lanes in the area, with a very strong foxy smell coming from it. After some surveillance, they realised it had been how someone, with a whole lot of rescued foxes from Birmingham, had brought them for a more natural life in the countryside. You probably don’t need to be told the end of the story.

anon5422159
19 Mar '17

That is a very sad story, even from my perspective (like you, not a particular fan of urban foxes). Foxes belong in the countryside. I hope these little critters have a long and happy existence out in the Kent countryside.

Brett
19 Mar '17

Foxes used to belong in the countryside but there are now many more in the cities. Like us, they seem to prefer it here.

Anotherjohn
20 Mar '17

Warning - PARENTAL CONTROL

starman
20 Mar '17
Londondrz
20 Mar '17

I have been attacked by a squirrel but foxes avoid me. But then I hate grey squirrels.

DickWynne
20 Mar '17

A grey squirrel once ran up my trouser leg (on the outside) in St James’s Park when I stood still too long. This also once happened to a friend of mine, but at least her name was Eykelboom – oak tree in Dutch.

Foresthillnick
20 Mar '17

I don’t particularly like Foxes but I don’t have an issue with them being here - there are far more issues caused by dogs in terms of attacks. We have some on or near my allotment and they keep the rodents at bay and have never seen a mouse. Not sure really why they “belong” in the country anymore than any other urban wildlife - we don’t say the same about birds, squirrels, moths, deer in parks etc.

oakr
1 Nov '17

Been looking through some photos, lots of spiders out and about at the moment!

!

!

!

Rebecca_Headd
1 Nov '17

that middle shot is amazing

Rebecca_Headd
1 Nov '17

Sits on the elderflower tree right outside my window and looks in and talks to us!

oakr
2 Nov '17

Lovely shots Rebecca! Those parakeets look lovely but they sure are noisy!

GillB
2 Nov '17

They are beautiful :blush:

Timmo44
2 Nov '17

and

We also had a pheasant walking down the road a couple of weeks ago. I thought it might be injured but when I approached it flew off.

oakr
2 Nov '17

The fox photo is superb! Right place right time!

starman
2 Nov '17

Ha. I just saw the fox photobombing the picture.

Timmo44
2 Nov '17

Not really. They sit there all the time and the far one isn’t as comfortable to be near people so sits behind the shed and sticks it’s head round.

applespider
4 Nov '17

I live on the first floor so it was a bit of a surprise to find this large snail making its way up my window last month.

Rebecca_Headd
27 Nov '17

Gorgeous :heart_eyes:

Rebecca_Headd
27 Nov '17

A pheasant! Those toads are beaut!

Rebecca_Headd
27 Nov '17

Very noisy indeed.

Rebecca_Headd
27 Nov '17

They should not be putting them in the countryside :frowning:

Rebecca_Headd
27 Nov '17

They were most likely shot or illegally hunted by hounds :frowning:

DevonishForester
14 Apr '18

Not sure whether to start a new thread for the new season? It’s been a slow few weeks. Glad to see some tadpoles survived in frozen pond. Birds getting busy, and finding their voices.

Sandinista
14 Apr '18

Not the best photo but I was a bit surprised to meet Mr / Ms Toad in the kitchen…

GillB
16 Apr '18

In your kitchen ???:grimacing:

MackemJo
26 May '18

We had a visit from this cute little fella today which we think might be a bank vole - does anyone recognise it?

oakr
17 Jun '18

anon5422159
18 Jun '18

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forest Hill’s Foxes

oakr
30 Jun '18

anon5422159
30 Jun '18

Amazing macro shots, Al :metal:

oakr
30 Jun '18

Thanks Chris - tried to get some spiders but too much wind moving them about.

One more, heavy crop.

Foresthillnick
7 Jul '18

Just had this lovely visitor to the garden. A homing pigeon I guess who was hungry and thirsty - we gave it some food and water and off it went…

Very tame!

ETA - it’s back this morning. Looks like it has got lost or decided to have an easy life.
I’ll report it online

oakr
12 Jul '18

Froglets gone - back to insects…

GillB
13 Jul '18

We are now getting wood pigeons back in our garden, since a local hunting cats owners have moved, :sweat_smile: phew!

emmamay
16 Jul '18

I don’t dislike then, but the Fox family near me is very noisy at night.

I have been hoping to see a stag beetle, but no luck. Instead, last night I found on my window ledge an alarming wasp-like insect of significant proportions. Horrid.

AndyS
17 Jul '18

Can we have a “maximum six legs per creature” rule on photographs, here, please?

LukeSlatford
17 Jul '18

Cocks rifle :wink:

LukeSlatford
17 Jul '18

Have their been many sightings of Parakeets recently? I was wondering the other day as often used to see them in the garden but havent for many months.

jonfrewin
17 Jul '18

I saw a flock of green birds flying across the street ahead of me on Devonshire Road the other day. I’m pretty sure they were parakeets but did not get a long enough look to be certain.

starman
17 Jul '18

@LukeSlatford … I’m sure there are thousands in your garden. Closest Forest Hill has to their natural environment.

Seen a few down our end recently.

LukeSlatford
17 Jul '18

I prefer to keep things wildlife friendly and reduce carbon!

LukeSlatford
17 Jul '18

Cool - will keep an extra keen eye out when working from home tomorrow!

Brett
17 Jul '18

Yes, they congregate there every evening and fly off in a reasonable size flock, having a good squawk as they go.

oakr
17 Jul '18

I’m really bad at counting :smirk:

Ok no more spiders for a while!

AndyS
17 Jul '18

Evil b%st%rd.

:wink:

Foresthillnick
17 Jul '18

Not much eating on it mate - racing pigeons are light!
Wood pigeons however… Yummy…

Sammykay1
27 Jul '18

Hi folks… I rescued a female stag beatle from a spider web this morning. Haven’t seen one of these for years!

KimK
27 Jul '18

Wow, nice pic

ThorNogson
31 Aug '18

woodpecker in the garden the other evening

oakr
22 Apr '19

Sun was out and so were some of SE23s smaller residents were out and about

anon5422159
22 Apr '19

@oakr amazing macro shots Al!

oakr
23 Apr '19

Popped into the back garden at Dusk to have a quick look around and saw what Inthinknis a smooth newt in our bucket pond - very happy with that as not seen once since we filled in our ‘proper pond’. His larger cousin seemed less than impressed however! Amazing how little water you need to attract some wildlife.

oakr
15 May '19

Spotted a fox out and about tonight - was getting a bit dark but good to see such a healthy one.

MackemJo
15 May '19

Wow…amazing pictures!

Londondrz
16 May '19

Superb shots.

oakr
16 May '19

Thanks @MackemJo and @Londondrz. We get one in our garden each evening as well but it’s truly dark then, bar when the security light comes on when it triggers it!

Londondrz
16 May '19

What camera/phone are you using?

oakr
16 May '19

I’ve got an Olympus EM5 MKII. It’s a lot smaller and lighter than a traditional DSLR. Smaller sensor but good enough for me.

oakr
6 Jun '19

Went into the garden after a bit of rain a few days ago to see what appeared to be an invasion of snails! Here is one of them.

Foresthillnick
11 Jun '19

Couple of pics from the garden and the allotment today…

oakr
11 Jun '19

Nice! I love Robins, amazing how ‘tame’ they are. I didn’t see one last year at the allotment but now have a companion most times I am digging.

jonfrewin
12 Jun '19

Lovely pics, particularly the robin shots. What camera are you using?

Foresthillnick
12 Jun '19

Nikon D90 with a macro lens.
Trying to get back into photography as I have a bit more time these days…

starman
12 Jun '19

I’m in love with the Robin and garden fork shot.

les28
12 Jun '19

oakr
12 Jun '19

Very nice Les! Do you now what plant the bumblebee is on?

@Foresthillnick ifnyou are using your macro lens there were some grasshoppers / crickets around last year which might make good subjects and they tend to stay still if you can get close enough!

Foresthillnick
13 Jun '19

I think that is a Kniphofia or Red Hot Poker.
Here’s a another from the other day.

Ladybird Larvae

ThorNogson
23 Jun '19

a female stag beetle in the garden last week.

ThorNogson
23 Jun '19

and a woodpecker too.

Bruceshire
24 Jun '19

We had an unexpected visitor land on our bedroom window ledge this evening. Can only assume that she had escaped from somebody’s home. Very friendly, but flew into the trees after about 20mins, chirping away. Hopefully she returns to her owners.

oakr
24 Jun '19

Couple from the garden

GillB
26 Jun '19

I hope the owners have got her back as the other birds might attack her. Brought back memories, we had a budge that colour for 11 years when I lived with my parents. They are lovely pets. :slight_smile:

oakr
1 Jul '19

Loads of swifts around this morning

oakr
14 Jul '19

Spider with what I think might be eggs on her back (I could be wrong)

Hoverfly

Clair
15 Jul '19

Last week in the garden. No idea if male or female.

oakr
15 Jul '19

Nice! Looks fairly big! Was their something on it - some odd looking lines on it’s back?

Clair
15 Jul '19

Yes it looked like spider’s web. Prior to me getting the phone. It was following a spider :spider: who quickly retreated by the time I got back.

Edd
15 Jul '19

If you zoom in you can see they are tiny baby Wolf spiderlings!

starman
15 Jul '19

Oh crap. Why would anyone want to do that?!?

Foresthillnick
16 Jul '19

Anyone know what beastie this is?

Quite large at about an inch and a very bright golden head.

Edd
16 Jul '19

Maybe a hornet hoverfly?

Foresthillnick
16 Jul '19

That looks right on a google search - Cheers Edda!

DevonishForester
16 Jul '19

Today is Flying Ant Day! A very fine display in front of the station next to the A205. Also in my garden.

oakr
16 Jul '19

Nice- unless you’ve left your windows open! I never see them down my way!

oakr
17 Jul '19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49023143

Flying ants appearing as rain on weather forecasts!

blushingsnail
19 Jul '19

The peregrines are still around. Yesterday I heard/saw one screeching its way over Perry Vale, and this morning I heard screeching near Christ Church and saw two on the spire.

oakr
20 Jul '19

I’ve yet to see one - still hoping!

oakr
21 Jul '19

Still getting loads from my little bucket pond. Here is an wasp in need of some refreshment- in truth I am not sure what they are doing will have to read up on it but their ends bob up and down on the water.

Foresthillnick
21 Jul '19

Quality shot.

oakr
21 Jul '19

Thanks @Foresthillnick - hope you enjoyed the bbq!

Londondrz
21 Jul '19

One of those went for a dive in my marinated anchovies at lunch time. It didn’t end well for the wasp.

I must try and get a photo of the hornets we get up here. Huge things, carry away sheep and small cows. :slight_smile:

oakr
21 Jul '19

I bet - anchovies are strong flavoured! :grinning:

I’d definitely like to see some photos of those!

armadillo
22 Jul '19

Pushing the limits of my phone - hence a little grainy.

Londondrz
22 Jul '19

Great shot!

oakr
22 Jul '19

Is this in your garden? Amazing if so! Great shot.

jonfrewin
22 Jul '19

Caterpillar munching on a nasturtium leaf just now! I returned it to another leaf afterwards.

armadillo
22 Jul '19

Yup - that’s it sitting on my daughters swimming costume drying in the sun after a stint in the paddling pool.

oakr
22 Jul '19

On my way to the allotment tonight went past Sainsbury’s Bell Green and low and behold I believe the Peregine Falcon was there. Miles away mind you but I have a record shot - unless someone tells me it’s not a Peregrine Falcon!

blushingsnail
26 Jul '19

They’ve been seen there before. Simon McCormack took a really good photo but I can’t find it on his Twitter feed.

This morning there were 3 peregrines flying around Christ Church spire.

James1P
28 Jul '19

Estelle
6 Aug '19

We found this little guy inside our flat!! Our kitten actually found him and alerted us. Luckily the cat isnt too bright and caused him no damage. We think he’s a slow worm. We released him in some nearby overgrowth.

oakr
16 Aug '19

That’s amazing - I didn’t realise we had any near here!

Michael
16 Aug '19

I’ve never seen one myself, but I’m told they can be found in and around the nature trails near the railway.

I little bit of information about slow worms from the Forest Hill Society Newsletter in 2017.

DevonishForester
16 Aug '19

A pair of ‘courting’ slow-worms filmed in Forest Hill

ForestHull
16 Aug '19

Are you sure they aren’t just the tentacles of something much larger hiding behind the rocks :grimacing:!?!

DevonishForester
16 Aug '19

I’ve deleted the link and re-uploaded. The clip was starting in the middle instead of the beginning - where you can clearly see the heads of the creatures. The male has the female’s head in his jaws.

Estelle
16 Aug '19

We are on elsinore road but apparently lots round here! We have been told the cat downstairs (we’re in a maisonette) regularly brings them in for his catmum. We suspect this one escaped or was left in the communal porch area when downstairs puss heard our puss upstairs.

MackemJo
16 Aug '19

@Estelle also on the same road and now feeling slightly anxious :rofl:! My other half thinks this is amazing and desperately wants to see one…I’m not so sure I do!

oakr
16 Aug '19

I agree with your other half! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Estelle sounds like you could organise a tour and be the guide!

Always amazing the wildlife you have, within SE23 or just beyond we appear to have had:

Slowworms
Toads, Newts, Frogs
Owls have been heard I believe, not sure if spotted
Peregrine Falcons
Swifts
Kingfishers
Bats
Foxes
2 types of woodpecker
Many bees, moths and butterflies
Hedgehogs (never seen one myself - need more hedgehog routes through fences)
Seem to remember a pheasant being photographed
Stag beetles
Loads of birds - Great tits, blue tits, longtailed tits, robins, greenfinches, goldfinches, blackbirds, jays, crows, nuthatches, starlings, wood pigeons, doves and many more I have left out.
Loads of interesting little creatures like ants, beetles, worms, hoverflies etc etc

MackemJo
16 Aug '19

@oakr when we moved here I really didn’t imagine there would be this fantastic assortment of wildlife!

oakr
19 Aug '19

Yes it’s quite amazing- Kingfishers and Peregrine Falcons for me are just amazing to have for me.

ThorNogson
26 Aug '19

Managed to get this ghostly image of a bat flying in the garden the other week. Had to use a flash as it was pretty dark at the time.

ThorNogson
26 Aug '19

Stag beetle in Normandy a couple of weeks ago. Looks different to the ones we have round here.

oakr
26 Aug '19

Ironically I was in Normandy a few weeks ago trying to get photos of bats - tricky in the fading light so well done on your photo!

Is that definitely a stag beetle?

ThorNogson
27 Aug '19

No I guess I don’t really know what type of flying beetle it is - flies like a stag beetle and sounds like one but looks different to ours. certainly a BFFB.

oakr
27 Aug '19

A quick google maybe a sawtoothed grain beetle…

ThorNogson
27 Aug '19

longer search - body is about 2 inches long I think it is a longhorn beetle common name is the Tanner beetle. https://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/albums/72157634860842169/

oakr
8 Sep '19

Not quite se23 but went to Bell Green to practice taking photos of flying things, got to see the Peregrine I think (not 100%) - looked like it was being chased off.

Also saw some gulls fighting over food

Lots of pigeons, crows and starlings!

Also went over to Brookmill Park this morning where you always have a good chance to see Kingfishers - very lucky to see 2 together.

MackemJo
8 Sep '19

@oakr amazing pics! Love the upside down gull.

oakr
9 Sep '19

Thanks @MackemJo - that gull does look funny like that! Not a bad day seeing a Peregrine Falcon and some Kingfishers, all in Lewisham!

oakr
30 Sep '19

Couple of Peregrine Falcons in Forest Hill earlier today

margotwilson
30 Sep '19

What a wonderful sight and excellent photo!

Itypes
30 Sep '19

Great photo. I always look out for them but have yet to spot them

oakr
1 Oct '19

Thanks @margotwilson. @Itypes the last few days are the only time I have seen either, I have been quite a few times before and seen nothing, so there is definitely an element of luck.

What I will say is they are quite hard to see dependant on the angle and if they are moving or not, so do have a good walk around all sides and maybe take some binoculars if you can as they are quite high up!

ThorNogson
1 Oct '19

They were both there again today- saw them arrive at the church about 6pm.

oakr
2 Oct '19

Would love to see them fly off and land!

Joseph_Edwards
4 Oct '19

Beautiful

oakr
6 Oct '19

Just outside SE23 on Sydenham / Bromley border at my allotment. I think it’s a Kestrel.

anon5422159
6 Oct '19

Wow, is that your own photo?!

oakr
6 Oct '19

Thanks Chris - yep mine from earlier today. Was great just to see it! It did get chased off but them came back.

MackemJo
6 Oct '19

Unbelievable!

oakr
7 Nov '19

Got a slightly better photo of the Kestrel hunting today

ForestHull
7 Nov '19

Slightly better?!? I didn’t think it possible, but this is incredible!

MackemJo
7 Nov '19

@oakr just wow!

oakr
8 Nov '19

Thanks @ForestHull and @MackemJo. It was great to just watch also, not bothered by me in the slightest, it came pretty close on a few occasions. A really amazing bird.

Foresthillnick
8 Nov '19

Was that down on the plot?

oakr
8 Nov '19

Yep - I’ve seen it twice now and yesterday there were 2 for a few minutes. The magpies keep chasing them off each time they get close to the ground so hopefully that won’t put them off.

It did put me off my digging for quite a while which was a double bonus!

Londondrz
8 Nov '19

A superb phot. You have a very good eye!

Foresthillnick
8 Nov '19

Must take my camera down there!

promofaux
10 Nov '19

Welp. It’s reached the time of year where I genuinely consider setting fire to the flat every time I open the window.

oakr
10 Nov '19

I don’t mind them - I view it that they catch bugs in the house for me! My wife however does not agree with this thought process!

I’ve got a kids climbing frame type thing in the garden, and as they don’t use it much as the moment each time I walk though it I walk headfirst into a spider web - literally every time! I expect the spider thinks I am one of the stupidest and most annoying humans in history!

applespider
10 Nov '19

I think spiders are absolutely amazing. I love watching them spin their webs and even seeing them pick their way across floors is pretty cool. I do take them out of the bath to avoid drowning them but generally just put them down with somewhere dark to scurry into.

oakr
17 Jan '20

Great Tit scaring off a Blue Tit

Squirrel collecting leaves for Nest Building

And here just munching away…

Hopefully with some sun previewed for the next few days will have more opportunities to take some photos in brighter conditions!

starman
17 Jan '20

Very cool. Though I thought your tits were urban art for a moment. Getting my topics mixed up.

oakr
22 Jan '20

I’ve been trying to work out squirrel nesting sites for a while, and then photograph one going in or coming out. I saw this one going in, andnit then popped it’s head out again before disappearing. Not sure when the young start emerging but I know where it is now so will keep an eye out.

Timmo44
6 Feb '20

Winnie

anon5422159
6 Feb '20

A fine specimen! And not shy!

Timmo44
6 Feb '20

She wan’t always fine - we’ve had to trap her twice for her to spend two stints in with The (very excellent) Fox Project being treated for mange both times. Here is a before/after

ThorNogson
13 Mar '20

an unfortunate visitor came down a friend’s chimney the other day. It survived the experience, was rescued and put into the garden…

Foresthillnick
13 Mar '20

It doesn’t look happy does it!

ThorNogson
13 Mar '20

Update. - the poor little fella didn’t make it after all, discovered expired in the garden a day later. Animal Hospital can be cruel.

oakr
13 Mar '20

I guess animals often die from shock - seems strange it got into that position in the first place so maybe unwell already or just unlucky.

ThorNogson
13 Mar '20

Yes I’d guess it would have been exhausted if it had been trying to fly back up the chimney.

oakr
2 Apr '20

I don’t see these very often - a mistle thrush I believe.

And the blue tits have returned to nest again this year which I am very happy about.

GillB
2 Apr '20

Ah beautiful :slight_smile:

Clair
2 Apr '20

I thought this was a baby magpie because of the wings, but twitter tweeters :bird: said it is a Jay.

oakr
2 Apr '20

Definitely a Jay!

Nice capture, I don’t see them much and find they don’t hang around long when they see you!

Clair
2 Apr '20

Thanks. Hopefully he did see me zooming in from kitchen window. Fingers crossed he pays another visit.

pattrembath
3 Apr '20

It’s strange - I always thought Jays to be shy birds and not small garden visitors. However last year was the first time a Jay started to visit my bird-friendly garden, but not to feed. He, or she, is back this year on a daily basis, along with its mate.

hurljy
3 Apr '20

I leave nuts out for the squirrels in our garden and being at home now I’ve noticed there’s a couple of jays that hang around to swoop in on the nuts first!

Twitter
3 Apr '20
oakr
3 Apr '20

Challenge accepted!..and very fortunately saw a wren today, must be one of the smallest birds around.

Clair
3 Apr '20

Filling up the bird feeder today. I came across these perfect little tents inside it, complete with a spider & it’s eggs.
The traditional shape tent :tent: on the red bit is my fav.

Cari_Hoskins
10 Apr '20

I saw a Jay on Duncombe Hill this week, nice to learn what they’re called, thank you!

ThorNogson
11 Apr '20

At the Pool River recently.

neilw
14 Apr '20

Egyptian Geese! Nice to see them in the area!

ThorNogson
15 Apr '20

more wildlife action down at the mighty Pool River.

ThorNogson
15 Apr '20

ThorNogson
15 Apr '20

reiver
5 May '20

I don’t have photos but some of the most exciting birds I have seen in the area (apart from the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - totally agree) are

• Peregrine in Westwood Park
  • Buzzard in Westwood Park
  • Red Kite in the old camberwell cemetry
  • Yellow Wagtail at Tesco Garage
  • Grey Wagtail but at Dulwich Ponds (not FH of course)

Other more common birds I am fond of round here are

• the other two woodpeckers
  • nuthatch
  • fieldfare
  • redwing
  • tawny owl (recently returned)
  • sparrowhawk
  • kestrel
  • garden warbler
  • blackcap
Clair
5 May '20

There’s a coo going on

oakr
6 May '20

Each year I take some photos of the frogs in my bucket pond, and later in the year the wasps and insects that stop for a drink. I highly recommend having one (assuming no young kids / adequate safety).

Anyway, in this time of reflection:

And this is a frog not a crocodile though with this angle and with one eye closed it looks different

oakr
9 May '20

starman
10 May '20

Did you take this? That candidate for wildlife picture of the year.

Nomis46
10 May '20

What lens do you use for these? Great!

oakr
10 May '20

Thanks @starman and @Nomis46.

Yes my photo, cropped. It was a tricky shot as I had my 6 year old balancing on my shoulders at the time!

I have an Olympus MFT Camera, and used a Panasonic 100-400 for this @187mm. I find it’s a pretty versatile wildlife lens and works well for me, but is a bit heavy.

ChrisR
10 May '20

Great shot.

oakr
12 May '20

One of my favourite and in my view most beautiful local wild bird, the goldfinch. I think they are just leaving their nests with young now and I think I saw tonight a family of them out feeding on the ground. If you are interested and visiting parks or overlook gardens there should be plenty of birds periodically with all the young leaving nests and / or adults hunting overtime for feed those not ready to.

oakr
4 Jun '20

Saw some sparrows in the garden for the first time today since we moved here 15 years ago! Have often seen them on Grierson Road going to the station but never around here. Used to see so many as a child in West London.

Here is a crow in the fading light from a couple of days ago.

HonorOakBloke
4 Jun '20

Seen in my garden yesterday afternoon. Can anyone confirm what it is?

I’m guessing a damsel fly of some sort…

Garfield
4 Jun '20

I can’t help with any knowledge, but I had something similar hovering around yesterday!

Foresthillnick
5 Jun '20

I think it would be the common blue damsel fly…

oakr
5 Jun '20

I had a look in my book - maybe a Beautiful Demoiselle Damselfly? I’m no expert though!

Cherryblossom
6 Jun '20

found this little guy in our garden

Will
6 Jun '20

Found this beautiful stag beetle in our garden. It was on its back struggling so the kids gently turned it over. We had a ruler from a school activity and it measured just under 7cm… pretty large for this time of year!

Foresthillnick
7 Jun '20

Another bee pic

@Will
You can log your Stah beetle sighting here

Will
7 Jun '20

Thanks, logged!

GillB
8 Jun '20

We had one of those in our garden last week. Good to know exactly what it is :blush:

GillB
8 Jun '20

When our neighbour had his bird feeders out hanging on branches, we would see lots of sparrows everyday feeding. They are so cheerful to see. But when we had a rat in our garden (gone now :crossed_fingers:) he took the feeders down in case they were encouraging it, so we still have a few & we think there was a baby being fed in our guttering as well last week.

oakr
18 Jun '20

Blackbird I assume collecting food to take back to the nest - comes every day to get a lot of worms, slugs and seems to try and get a few snails as well.

oakr
30 Jun '20

No photo, but I saw a Kestrel hovering at Bell Green yesterday near where the Gasholders used to be - I was driving (stopped at the lights!) - a lovely sight. Am hoping it will stick around as last time I saw one was around a year ago I think.

PennieH
4 Jul '20

I would say large red damselfly.

PennieH
4 Jul '20

London Wildlife Trust have produced an excellent booklet on dragonflies in London. You can download it here. https://www.wildlondon.org.uk/water-for-wildlife

Ernest_J_Thomason
5 Jul '20

Could be either Oak or Speckled Bush Cricket they are very common on shrubs and trees. I am put a link to a pdf file https://www.orthoptera.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf/Common%20Bush-crickets%20and%20Grasshoppers.pdf so you can ID it also can ask a expert using he iRecord website https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/

Ernest_J_Thomason
5 Jul '20

Yes oakr is correct a Male Beautiful Demoiselle Damselfly and Garfield’ photo s is a Large Red Damselfly

Clair
14 Jul '20

Mr Pigeon visited the pub for a seed snack this morning. Whilst he was there, Long Slug had been munching some nuts & Littler Slug thought he better slither over the pub garden wall before Mr Pigeon saw him.

Amazes me how the slugs know there’s food up the tree & how they navigate their way to get on the feeders.

Suze
17 Jul '20

Increasingly fearless foxes in Horniman’s at the moment

GillB
20 Jul '20

We have had a fox in our garden looking straight at us through the French doors in the mornings!

neilw
20 Jul '20

They do seem to be getting more bold. Saw one walking along the River Pool path this evening, close enough to a pedestrian I assumed it was a dog at first!

clausy
21 Jul '20

Saw a pair of green woodpeckers (I think) at Camberwell Old Cemetery which is SE22 going on SE23… couldn’t get any closer and only had a phone, but haven’t seen one before.

Foresthillnick
21 Jul '20

I have heard them (or what I think are them) down on the allotment. They make the most amazing noise…

starman
21 Jul '20

For the first time this year I’m certain I’ve heard a woodpecker locally but not frequently. And likely from a dying tree in a neighbours garden. I’ve not heard anything since spring. Reading about the green woodpeckers habits it seems to fit.

I grew up with usually a woodpecker family in our yard. Its a sound of my youth and I like it.

applespider
21 Jul '20

When I first started occasionally walking through Dulwich & Sydenham Woods to Sydenham Hill station, I missed a train or two because I got distracted trying to spot the woodpecker that I could hear…

oakr
21 Jul '20

I’ve seen one once at Camberwell New Cemetery - they do feed on the ground so likely them - great spot. I love them.

I have Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in the wood behind me, they used to come to the bird feeder daily until I took it down.

clausy
21 Jul '20

Boss: “why are you late for work”

Excuse: “I was distracted trying to spot woodpeckers and I missed my train”

Scorpion
21 Jul '20

I love hearing “Woody” announcing he is around and I often hear him or her early mornings, but sometimes later in the day too. I have taken a few photos over the years. Here is one from July 2017 of 2 of the greens

They often pick the same place to have a feed so I am lucky :blush:They do have a very distinctive call and I usually rush to look out at them, sometimes taking photos, like I did a few weeks ago on June 30th

Charlotte_E
23 Jul '20

A jersey tiger last night!

ForestHull
10 Aug '20

I think this looks like a Noble false widow in the house:

Using the identification tool, I think this is a Gatekeeper butterfly in the garden:

Scorpion
10 Aug '20

Lovely bee having a feed on a local sunflower I passed while out for a walk :heartbeat:

wmorgan1
10 Sep '20

anon27836993
10 Sep '20

So cute x

wmorgan1
6 Oct '20

Snail trail

oakr
16 Oct '20

Came back in this morning and heard some knocking outside - thought either neighbours doing some DIY or the woodpecker was back around. It was the latter, who has decided to take over our blue tit nest box. The noise it was making the whole bigger- never seen that before!

Observing work widening entrance

Inspecting new home

Spot the difference…

oakr
17 Oct '20

Berry season

oakr
30 Oct '20

Brookmill Park (Lewisham but not Se23…) this afternoon:

Cyrus799
6 Dec '20

Recently I started to feed the squirrels so that they wouldn’t compete for food with the birds. I found a funny squirrel feeder, It is a Horse Head feeder of Accoutrements. Watching them go nuts over the feeder was pretty funny. We laughed so hard, and it became an instant hit for the kids. The head is hollow inside, and you can put a variety of nuts and seeds to attract them.

GillB
10 Dec '20

That is so funny :joy:

ThorNogson
31 Dec '20

a

heron in Crystal Palace park yesterday

ThorNogson
31 Dec '20

peregrine falcon early in December on Christ Church - I used this pic for our xmas cards.

ForestHull
31 Dec '20

I’m very tempted to photoshop a Christmas hat onto that one, though I think I’ve missed the season now!

Great pics though :slight_smile:

Scorpion
31 Dec '20

Two visitors yesterday

JohnH1
1 Jan '21

Looking out my back window a couple of days ago I watched 4 screeching parakeets “escort” 2 seagulls out of their airspace which was fascinating but unfortunately no photos.

oakr
1 Jan '21

Nice (again!) - I’m still waiting to see one bringing back some food, has seen one with some though couldn’t see what it was eating, but not seen it flyign back with anything in it’s talons.

Which reminds me must go and try and have a look for the Kingfishers again soon now visibility will be better again.

Cherryblossom
4 Jan '21

3 beautiful foxes at 12.39am

Cherryblossom
4 Jan '21

Dom_Mo
4 Jan '21

Had two foxes play-fighting/fighting in my front garden on HOP two nights ago, wonder if it was the same gang.

Sadly couldn’t get a decent photo through the window

HillLife
5 Jan '21

They bark outside my house at 2am, dig up plants and s*** all over my garden if anybody wishes to get a good look at them. Cute little things. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Rosered
9 Jan '21

So jealous! My favourite bird!

ThorNogson
11 Jan '21

definitely from round 'ere. Kingfisher on the Waterlink Way today, at Bell Green.

Dom_Mo
11 Jan '21

Great photos!

ForestHull
12 Jan '21

A plump and tame or bold squirrel from Beckenham Place Park:

HannahM
12 Jan '21

Gosh, he’s a chunky lad.

Dom_Mo
12 Jan '21

Big lad.

Might need to get my tin foil hat ready but - are squirrels getting bolder?!
I was in Dulwich Park at the weekend and they’re absolutely fearless!

ForestHull
12 Jan '21

I did wonder if it could be a pregnant girl squirrel…??

HillLife
12 Jan '21

Here’s a photo I took last month of this slightly smaller fella who goes past my window a few times everyday, it’s the highlight of my day. (Excuse my profane Christmas decorations…I wasn’t feeling 2020 Xmas vibes)

oakr
13 Jan '21

Fantastic!

ThorNogson
13 Jan '21

thanks- I’ve always thought your own kingfisher pics amazing, so thrilled to find one that sat still long enough and near enough to get some of my own. Beautiful birds.

AndyS
13 Jan '21

That’s fabulous!

oakr
13 Jan '21

Thanks - I love your Peregine photos also!

I can’t express how happy I was when I first saw a Kingfisher, and then realised I could see them with reasonable success in Lewisham. I get such a buzz, and even seeing them flying down the river, although that is a very quick flash.

oakr
15 Jan '21

Not been out with the camera in ages so been looking back through some past photos. Here is a Heron in Brookmill Park:

And Swan

ThorNogson
24 Jan '21

the peregrine again, a few days ago.

ThorNogson
24 Jan '21

stalking a robin at Waterlink Way today

GillB
24 Jan '21

We have squirrels in our garden regularly. You can stand by our dining room window & watch them close up digging around in the patio pots & having a drink from a saucer under a chair! Not bothered about either of us standing there!

JohnH1
26 Jan '21

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to get a photo but we’ve just had 3 Redwings visit our front garden.

Timmo44
27 Jan '21

Garden visitors over lockdown

starman
27 Jan '21

Playing in the snow.

clausy
27 Jan '21

Don’t you go feeding it! :see_no_evil:

oakr
27 Jan '21

Great photos @Timmo44, I love the water drinker for the birds. Are you the person who posted a few years ago with a very tame fox and one photo bombing behind it?

@starman that’a beautiful photo - you should use it for some Christmas cards next year.

starman
27 Jan '21

Nope. They refused to wear the red bows I had for them.

oakr
27 Jan '21

You know what they say, never work with children or animals!

oakr
30 Jan '21

It’s the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch Weekend, details of what you need are here

Essentially all you need to do is spend an hour (with or without family / kids) documenting which birds you see and then submit the results. I did this as a child and loved it, and as we are in lockdown and the weather is awful might be a nice activity to do from your windows!

Can be done today or tomorrow, or yesterday for anyone with a timemachine.

I will try and post my kids results here once we have done it.2021-01-30T00:00:00Z2021-01-31T00:00:00Z

starman
30 Jan '21

Earlier today I’m convinced I saw the local wildlife assembling two by two.

oakr
30 Jan '21

The allotment orchard was getting ready for the ark…

oakr
31 Jan '21

We did it, kids didn’t last the full hour but enjoyed for a while.

We saw in the allocated hour:
2 magpies
2 blue tits
4 wood pigeons
6 goldfinch
5 green parakeets

20210131_140330

oakr
2 Feb '21

Don’t think I’ve ever seen any before but a flock of around 10 redwings this morning all feeding on the ground

20210202_104529

JohnH1
2 Feb '21

My neighbour saw some in her garden this morning too. I’ve just looked on the voice.gardenbird website and prior to this year the only London sighting mentioned was in Raynes Park in 2018 but in the last few weeks there are sightings mentioned in Brixton, Beckenham and the non-specific “se London”. Not a particularly scientific or extensive study I know, but I wonder why they are suddenly being seen this far into town.

oakr
2 Feb '21

I guess it’s normall food related, and the RSPB site says:

They roam across the UK’s countryside, feeding in fields and hedgerows, rarely visiting gardens, except in the coldest weather when snow covers the fields. Only a few pairs nest in the UK. It is listed as a Schedule 1 species of The Wildlife and Countryside Act.

So maybe the recent snow and cold spell has driven them to more urban areas where it is warmer and there was less snow cover?

ThorNogson
2 Feb '21

yes the only time we’ve ever seen them in the garden, a few years ago during snowy conditions, was when open spaces and countryside were frozen, covered in snow and very cold, while our urban gardens offered some shelter and access to the ground and presumably food.

ucndave
2 Feb '21

Was very surprised to see this lizard on the way home in Shipman Road this week. About three inches long.

oakr
2 Feb '21

I think it might be a smooth newt

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/other-garden-wildlife/amphibians-and-reptiles/smooth-newt/

ucndave
2 Feb '21

I wondered if it might be a newt. Thanks for looking!

oakr
2 Feb '21

No worries, I’m not 100% sure to be clear, will have a fuller look later unless anyone else knows.

robertjroy
6 Feb '21

A sparrowhawk killed a pigeon outside our bedroom window this morning - not something you see everyday!

Timmo44
7 Feb '21

Hello, yes that was me. One of those foxes still visits.

oakr
7 Feb '21

Wow - that’s exciting (not for the pigeon obviously…). I knew they were around but have never seen one - I’m very jealous! Great photo!

oakr
9 Feb '21

Allotment fox who was feeding on something, after he finished the magpies came to finish what was left over.

Scorpion
14 Mar '21

Squirrel neighbours

Red wings - I have seen them visit here for the past 3 years (they may have come by here more years than that, but I was not “bird watching” before).
This year, it seems we might have “a Red wing family” staying a while as I have seen what looks like adults and jueveniles, together feeding on the ground. Not a flock (though they have stopped by before) but more like 2 or 3 smaller ones and a couple of larger ones, for a few days now). Would this be a right time for that to be true? Young, out of nest and feeding?

wmorgan1
16 Mar '21

There is a flock of them in Mayow Park.

Skylark
16 Mar '21

We’ve had redwings too, enjoyed watching them. Think they only breed in Scandinavia/ occasionally Scotland. Also caught a photo near Christ Church (on unsuccessful mission to see the Peregrines again!)

HiyaCath
17 Mar '21

We’re seeing redwings, blackcaps and the usuals (blue tits/robins/long tailed tits) in our garden on Gaynesford Rd. Also have a nice view of the church steeple where the peregrines live. Love a bit of twitching!

Thewrongtrousers
17 Mar '21

Nice photo

onlineguy
21 Mar '21

Forest Hill is home to a new species of shrimp! It’s been discovered living in the aquarium tanks at the Horniman:

oakr
21 Mar '21

Hornimani Shrimp - love it!

JohnH1
23 Mar '21

Thanks onlineguy, that’s absolutely fascinating; it would be great if their records of ocean rock purchases could pinpoint its geographic origin but I guess that ship has sailed.

oakr
31 Mar '21

First time I have seen one of these in my garden - a grey wagtail I think, somewhat strangely having seen 2 pied wagtails at the allotment earlier today for the first time there. Anyway here it is:

20210331_135812

20210331_135901

20210331_135836

onlineguy
31 Mar '21

Good one! There are a number of grey wagtails along the Rivers Pool and Ravensbourne (the Waterlink Way), so I suspect this one will have wandered over from there, but you don’t often see them very far from running water.

applespider
31 Mar '21

I had a goldfinch pay my window box a visit and sing me a song which was lovely. Really made me smile. No picture as too scared to move in case it flew off.

oakr
31 Mar '21

I’ve seen some in Brookmill Park which I think is River Pool, but can’t remember now!

With lockdown and the ensuing changes in human behaviour, I’m wondering if we will see more unusual birds in gardens and Lewisham generally.

Been there! Normally cursing myself for not having a camera to hand!

divya_m
8 Apr '21

This is a heron (I think!) that lives in one of the gardens behind us. We only spot it/them once or twice a year.

oakr
10 Apr '21

Definitely a Heron! Not sure it will catch many fish from the shed roof!

wmorgan1
14 Apr '21

The river Ravensbourne joins the Pool in the Waterlink way. At Lewisham, the Quaggy joins the river Ravensbourne which runs through Brookmill nature reserve.

RedChilli
14 Apr '21

Anyone know what these birds are? They seemed huge to me!

HannahM
14 Apr '21

Egyptian Geese. Funny looking things aren’t they?

RedChilli
14 Apr '21

Thank you!

wmorgan1
15 Apr '21

I’ve seen a white Wagtail bobbing about outside Clapton Craft.
" In urban areas it has adapted to foraging on paved areas such as car parks"
Haven’t managed to get a decent photo of it though.

starman
15 Apr '21

I need some advice on some non-welcome visitors. Over the last couple of weeks we have been plagued by pigeons, often in groups of 10 or more. They are attracted to the bird feeder, but too big to really get at the feed themselves they seem to aggregate on the ground to pick up the spillage from the smaller birds. It also means the plantings under the bird feeder (it’s in a bed) have been trampled and the ground is bare.

It’s not like they are getting a huge amount of food. But it’s gone from the odd one or two during the winter, to flocks that wait on the roofline to swoop down to about a 4 foot square space.

oakr
15 Apr '21

Wood pigeons or feral ‘city’ type pigeons?

Do you have food in a hanging feeder, and do they (or squirrels) knock out the food? Or is it on a flat static feeder as such?

It’s probably better for birds to be cleaning up dropped seeds than having some rodents come in to do the same…

I found with hanging feeders, especially ones with niger seeds for finches, where particularly messy. Peanut type ones less so. I’m not sure there is a great solution, but you oculd maybe have a flat bird table beneath the feeders that caught the dropped seeds, but I guess they would probably get covered in bird poo which is not ideal. If you want to protect your plants, you could put a cage around them temporarily that would keep the birds which would be my best temporary solution and see if they move off after a week or so.

I highly recommend running out like a madman shouting at them which should at least provide your neighbours with some comedy moments.

Michael
16 Apr '21

Have you considered hiring the services of the local pigeon extermination company?
Perry Grin Falcon.

starman
16 Apr '21

Thanks Al… they are the hanging style of feeders and I have one each for peanuts, a general type of bird feed and suet balls. The feeder has been there for years… the flocks of pigeons are new. I agree it is better to have birds pick up the ‘refuse’ but that had been capably done by other ones.

Ah well… we’re doing a bit of redesign this year so will take this into consideration.

Been done. Now they just stare and go 'meh.

Please report for detention.

Scorpion
19 Apr '21

Throwing this post together, somewhat, so excuse me, but really wanted to share with you all our special event :grin:
“Jeremy and Jemima” have paid us a visit again (well, a pair of Mallard ducks usually appear once a year, on the estate (they hang out at Eliot Bank School pond too). They may not be the same ones each year but they could be related (been a few years now we have been honoured with duck presence, returning yearly). Another male was around for one day, but not seen him since he was “told” by top drake/duck. :clap:
Anyway, the pair have been here for about 4 or 5 days now, disappearing elsewhere, later in the day or evening) either laying on the grass bank or enjoying a paddle and wash - and occasional (cough!) mating effort (witnessed today :wink: ) - in a long-standing leaked pool of (seemingly clean) water, coming from somewhere off of the grassy bank (though that may dry up soon, so they better enjoy it while they can).
Myself and other local residents enjoy looking out and seeing them, many are visiting and feeding them and I, personally, hope they end up going away, somewhere safe and calm, soon, to, hopefully (if their mating is successful) bear & raise, some ducklings :heart_eyes: (4 weeks gestation period for eggs, apparantly, so Alexa told me :yum:)
Please enjoy the pics (and video IF I can add it (if not, I will try again tomorrow :smile:)
:+1:

Howdo
20 Apr '21

Caught this cute parent and 2 juveniles squirrel trio sitting and playing together on the wall for a few minutes. Looked out 5 minutes later and there’s a handsome fox strolling across the lawn carrying one of the young ones in its jaws. It prompted a heated family discussion about whether to intervene with nature.

GillB
18 May '21

They have them up Crystal Palace Park.

I saw these Canadian geese chicks at Homebase a couple of weeks ago.

starman
18 May '21

In Canada we call these cobra chickens.

GillB
18 May '21

That sounds better, as Canadian geese chicks is a bit of a mouthful. The parents were not at all bothered by me taking photos either. :relaxed:

GillB
18 May '21

I love the mallards. They now have a few of them up the Brenchley Gardens crematorium. Thought I still had the photos I took. It looks as though there is one female & 2 males. Will take more photos next time I go if still there.

neilw
19 May '21

This was a couple of weeks ago: mandarin ducks along the River Pool to Catford.

Not often we get such fancy ducks round ‘ere.

ThorNogson
19 May '21

A swarm of bees loose at the bowling club, Wynell Road today.

ForestHull
29 May '21

I keep seeing these honey bees coming for a drink - I think there must be an apiary doing well somewhere in SE23:

wmorgan1
7 Jun '21

neilw
7 Jun '21

Friday’s rain brought out some very handsome snails.

applespider
15 Jun '21

So many bees buzzing around at the Horniman at the moment.

ForestHull
15 Jun '21

I love it - they almost look unreal the way they fly in slow motion. Very nice capture :heart:

Suze
15 Jun '21

Stag beetle has moved in today

Scorpion
16 Jun '21

Excellent!:clap: Congratulations :grin: Look after him :heart:

squashst
16 Jun '21

An adventurous fox (that thinks its a cat) has been exploring the Garthorne Road back gardens (well certainly mine!)

HonorOakBloke
17 Jun '21

My garden is also resounding to the sound of bees - including this big old bumble bee.
There seem to be a lot more bees around this year - of all types.

onlineguy
23 Jun '21

Red Admiral sunning itself on the pavement outside the Honor Oak Pub just now

SClare
23 Jun '21

These caterpillars just staying there on the pot, not doing anything. Googling, and they seem to be Gypsy Moth caterpillars.

neilw
24 Jun '21

Almost bumped into a beautiful stag beetle flying around Mayow Road last night.

oakr
25 Jun '21

Heron

oakr
26 Jun '21

Meant to post this yesterday, didn’t notice at first but the bottom bumblebee looks like it is screaming with the arrival of the larger one

GillB
26 Jun '21

Fantastic photography :blush:

oakr
28 Jun '21

Strawberry thief

wmorgan1
1 Jul '21

Juvenile Wagtail strolling across the road.

oakr
18 Jul '21

Swifts out earlier over Brockley Rise

ForestHull
28 Jul '21

Going for a walk in Blythe Hill Fields this morning:

ForestHull
26 Sep '21

Red Admiral in Brenchley Gardens this morning:

oakr
9 Oct '21

Comma Butterfly (I think) on my Verbena today

Michael
9 Oct '21

I suspect this might be X-rate slug action. Please delete if not appropriate for this family site.

Skylark
19 Nov '21

Was surprised to see a pheasant in our garden today in Perry Vale…did anyone else see itv

wmorgan1
20 Nov '21

I thought I saw one landing in the South Downs meadow awhile ago.

GillB
20 Nov '21

Well that must have travelled a distance! My friend who lives on the Isle of Jura in Scotland has sent me photos of pheasants outside her house :relaxed:

starman
20 Nov '21

There once was a thread on pheasants sightings some time ago. Discussion included if one could shoot it on your own property. Followed by recipe ideas.

GillB
21 Nov '21

Oh no! I know they are supposed to be a delicacy aren’t they, but I couldn’t.

starman
21 Nov '21

I was sure there were recipes.

It is however pheasant season.

wmorgan1
22 Nov '21

Just a pheasant, impatiently waiting for the train in South London today.

This was posted a year ago on Reddit.

wmorgan1
1 Dec '21

A reply to Starman from 15th April.

We had mice, a rat and lots of pigeons who would hang about (and making a lot of mess) waiting for Goldfinches to come and feed-so I attached this to the base. No pigeons now as no food on the grass
and other birds eat from the tray.

DevonishForester
22 Dec '21

From the summer, anyone recognise this guy?

Timmo44
23 Dec '21

Three of the six goldfinches that frequent our sunflower seed hearts feeder. We get through sacks of the stuff.

PennieH
23 Dec '21

Could be the Hornet Mimic Hoverfly, Volucella zonaria. Spectacular looking but harmless. The big fly-type eyes are a clue to it not being an actual hornet.

oakr
23 Dec '21

I’m not 100% sure, but my initial thought was a hoverfly of some sort. However I could not find a suitable match, so I think it might be a Hornet Hoverfly / Hornet mimi Hoverfly (Volucella zonaria) as described below (it’s harmless to us humans!). It looks like this, and if so I’ve learnt somethhing new also!

edit @PennieH beat me to it!

Clair
23 Dec '21

Interesting not sure what hornets eyes look like, but curious now… so will check out hornets eyes on google.

oakr
23 Dec '21

Lovely shot. I love goldfinches, really beautiful birds. I really miss having our bird feeder in the garden!

I do find goldfinches are often in a decent size group together - not sure if it’s the family group that stays together or something else.

Clair
23 Dec '21

Yep… note to self don’t google hornets eyes at 23.30hrs. :joy:
Definitely different to the above. But not sure I’d have the courage or the eyesight to check out it’s eyes that closely to decide whether or not I need to run away.

PennieH
29 Dec '21

Although they’re big and you wouldn’t want to be stung by one, hornets are a lot less aggressive than common wasps.

Here are some comparison pics from the Wildlife Trusts to help sort hornets from similar looking insects Know your hornets | The Wildlife Trusts

Timmo44
29 Dec '21

Another hornet here in Winsford road from September. Non aggressive, just going about its business.

PennieH
30 Dec '21

I think that’s another Hornet Mimic Hoverfly.

GillB
31 Dec '21

Fantastic photography :relaxed:

oakr
7 Feb '22

Saw the first bees on the Hellebore a couple of days ago - great winter plants.

Suze
4 Apr '22

Lunchtime on Grierson…
I think he was also looking for lunch…

system
25 Apr '22