Non human visitors & residents of SE23

Is this in your garden? Amazing if so! Great shot.

1 Like

Caterpillar munching on a nasturtium leaf just now! I returned it to another leaf afterwards.

2 Likes

Yup - that’s it sitting on my daughters swimming costume drying in the sun after a stint in the paddling pool.

1 Like

On my way to the allotment tonight went past Sainsbury’s Bell Green and low and behold I believe the Peregine Falcon was there. Miles away mind you but I have a record shot - unless someone tells me it’s not a Peregrine Falcon!

7 Likes

They’ve been seen there before. Simon McCormack took a really good photo but I can’t find it on his Twitter feed.

This morning there were 3 peregrines flying around Christ Church spire.

1 Like

4 Likes

We found this little guy inside our flat!! Our kitten actually found him and alerted us. Luckily the cat isnt too bright and caused him no damage. We think he’s a slow worm. We released him in some nearby overgrowth.

10 Likes

That’s amazing - I didn’t realise we had any near here!

I’ve never seen one myself, but I’m told they can be found in and around the nature trails near the railway.

I little bit of information about slow worms from the Forest Hill Society Newsletter in 2017.

3 Likes

A pair of ‘courting’ slow-worms filmed in Forest Hill

2 Likes

Are you sure they aren’t just the tentacles of something much larger hiding behind the rocks :grimacing:!?!

I’ve deleted the link and re-uploaded. The clip was starting in the middle instead of the beginning - where you can clearly see the heads of the creatures. The male has the female’s head in his jaws.

1 Like

We are on elsinore road but apparently lots round here! We have been told the cat downstairs (we’re in a maisonette) regularly brings them in for his catmum. We suspect this one escaped or was left in the communal porch area when downstairs puss heard our puss upstairs.

@Estelle also on the same road and now feeling slightly anxious :rofl:! My other half thinks this is amazing and desperately wants to see one…I’m not so sure I do!

1 Like

I agree with your other half! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Estelle sounds like you could organise a tour and be the guide!

Always amazing the wildlife you have, within SE23 or just beyond we appear to have had:

Slowworms
Toads, Newts, Frogs
Owls have been heard I believe, not sure if spotted
Peregrine Falcons
Swifts
Kingfishers
Bats
Foxes
2 types of woodpecker
Many bees, moths and butterflies
Hedgehogs (never seen one myself - need more hedgehog routes through fences)
Seem to remember a pheasant being photographed
Stag beetles
Loads of birds - Great tits, blue tits, longtailed tits, robins, greenfinches, goldfinches, blackbirds, jays, crows, nuthatches, starlings, wood pigeons, doves and many more I have left out.
Loads of interesting little creatures like ants, beetles, worms, hoverflies etc etc

3 Likes

@oakr when we moved here I really didn’t imagine there would be this fantastic assortment of wildlife!

2 Likes

Yes it’s quite amazing- Kingfishers and Peregrine Falcons for me are just amazing to have for me.

1 Like

Managed to get this ghostly image of a bat flying in the garden the other week. Had to use a flash as it was pretty dark at the time.

8 Likes

Stag beetle in Normandy a couple of weeks ago. Looks different to the ones we have round here.

3 Likes

Ironically I was in Normandy a few weeks ago trying to get photos of bats - tricky in the fading light so well done on your photo!

Is that definitely a stag beetle?