Archived on 6/5/2022

One day left on kindness giveaway

DMAFB
29 Jul '19

Hi friends, it’s me Don (I’ve sneaked over here from East Dulwich Forum sshhhh),

I want to tell you about an event that is very special to me so please bear with me.

Imagine a world in which kindness was the norm and not the exception! In today’s polarised and politicised times it seems almost unthinkable. And yet, something still give me the belief it is possible!

Why? Because of the direct result of a stranger’s selflessness years ago, which I experienced when my landlord kicked me out of my place.

I couldn’t find anywhere to stay, and I couldn’t figure out how to solve it given I was working long hours in a demanding job.

Luckily, a chance phone call put me in touch with somebody who gave up his time to ring around, and view potential accommodation, finally setting me up with a place to live. I moved into a dream place, never having met that kind stranger face-to-face!

He was the first person I invited over to the new home, and when I asked him why he had helped a stranger, he said,

“It was my choice, I enjoyed it…I help you, you help me, everybody happy.”

His words became my mantra, and I discovered through becoming an agent of kindness, that I unexpectedly received such a feelgood high (the so-called Helper’s High), I also met new friends with whom I shared amazing experiences, and my karma was off the charts too.

This gave rise to the thought: what if there was a platform that brought people together to have fun, whilst doing meaningful acts of kindness for each other? And so DMAFB (Do Me A Favour Buddy) was born.

I think you’ll agree, with the way things are going in the world, it’s just common sense to look out for each other - If not us then who?

To celebrate our relaunch, DMAFB will be giving away a MacBook Pro and a FairPhone 2 to a lucky individual and friend, randomly picked from all who answer the challenge to request or offer an act of kindness, and invite their friends to try out DMAFB, before midnight 31 July 2019 (GMT).

To enter the challenge there are just 3 easy steps:

Step - 1 sign up for free at www.dmafb.me,

Step - 2 post an offer or a request for kindness (e.g. I can walk your dog/I need to borrow something/I want to donate baby clothes - anything really, your imagination is much better than mine)

Step - 3 Click Invite Friends and refer your friends and family to get extra entries.

Every friend you invite that posts a favour earns you an extra 50 entries for you towards a MacBook Pro and they will automatically receive 5 entries towards a Fairphone 2 Android phone for themselves.
The more friends that enter the better the chances are to win.

That’s it. What are you waiting for?

Apologies for the shameless plug.

Anotherjohn
29 Jul '19

Call me Victor Meldrew, or any cynical old goat, but, REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

DMAFB
29 Jul '19

Did not mean to offend …Will change

DMAFB
29 Jul '19

P.S. May Victor rest in peace :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
29 Jul '19

Nah - I’m very much alive and kicking thank you!

DMAFB
29 Jul '19

Ha ha ha touché

LeeHC
30 Jul '19

Ok. Where is the funding for this? Is it a business venture? A lovely idea I’m sure but seems a bit lacking in transparency.

starman
30 Jul '19

I love the idea of this. But an online search finds nothing substantial about the program, except the website and a blog post.

I’d love to participate. I see the mod team have pinned this post globally. Are they confident in the bona fide of this organisation?

LeeHC
30 Jul '19

Also, @moderators how is DMAFB trust level 3 already? Have the rules changed?

ForestHull
30 Jul '19

The profile says “Member” on my looking, which is level 2.

DMAFB
30 Jul '19

We’re new… but you can check out our Instagram @dmafbme or meet me personally (drinks on me)if you are down in East Dulwich sometime Dmafbme@gmail.com Cheers Don

Foresthillnick
30 Jul '19

For clarity

• “Level 2 - Member” is the third level above New and Basic. Slightly confusing.

• The post is a promoted one. The forum does get running costs from these promoted posts although that is currently being assessed.

• Currently the system grants Level 2 membership to users who enter their address and credit card number in order to promote on the forum. Again this is being reconsidered.

• Promoted posts are pinned to the forum home page for 48 hours.

DMAFB
30 Jul '19

We’re trying to do everything out of our own pockets, getting press has been difficult (I sent out our press release over 300 times, and only the South London Press picked up the story) - it doesn’t deter us though, I’m happy to provide more details - Don (DMAFBME@gmail.com)

DMAFB
30 Jul '19

Thanks Nick

starman
30 Jul '19

Perhaps promoted posts should be marked as promoted.

Foresthillnick
30 Jul '19

That is entirely reasonable however as I say the whole promoted posts\payments thing is under assessment.

Anotherjohn
30 Jul '19

Sorry DMAFB, but I don’t get this.

Apart from all the invites to friends to sign-up and to offer favours to earn loads of points towards the chance to win a phone or a laptop, which I personally don’t like, I also hate your strapline - “I help you, you help me, everybody happy” - because - “I help you” - is where it’s really at!

I’m sure you’re a well-meaning bloke though, so I hope you find the right way to structure your good cause and, once you’ve done that, I’ll be the first to wish you well with it.

LeeHC
30 Jul '19

Fair enough- if still a little confusing. So you get a ‘regular’ badge at trust level 2? Even though trust level 3 is called regular?

Pauline
30 Jul '19

I have to agree with @Anotherjohn on this, I find this OP and reply’s all a bit weird. Happy to be wrong on this though.

ForestHull
30 Jul '19

Yeah, and what’s up with the user icons - where is @starman’s star for example? Is it a technical glitch or is it a fake Starman?

Pauline
30 Jul '19

Jason may have changed his pic, PM me Jason @starman

weepy
30 Jul '19

It seems a good sentiment but you need to improve your messaging/proposition.
If it’s really about helping people then that should be reward enough in itself.
Adding in gamification and Mac book pros goes against this and makes it seem a bit weird or scammy.
I would strip it right back and make it As Simiple As Possible.

DMAFB
30 Jul '19

Thanks for the feedback, ’ will take this onboard.

Pauline
30 Jul '19

I agree, if this is genuine nothing should be offered in return. @DMAFB if you are genuine I would like to help. You can email me sugarmountain.info@gmail.com and I will do my best to help. Pauline

DMAFB
30 Jul '19

I do appreciate you comments, especially as they seem genuine and from a good place. I’ll keep you all posted how it goes with our initiative. I’m hoping to organise a meet-up down the line. :blush:

Pauline
30 Jul '19

Could you email me sugarmountain.info@gmail.com and I will happily help if you can break all down to me. Happy to meet you too. Best Pauline

DMAFB
30 Jul '19

We certainly hope that the majority of people will do things out of the goodness of their heart. The prize was really to say - albeit clumsily - it’s worth offering something material if it sparks a wave of kind acts or at least gets people thinking about looking out for each other (I know it’s common practice here)…Thanks again. I will be in touch - Don (dmafbme@gmail.com)

Pauline
30 Jul '19

Personally in my opinion anyone that wants to do something that they care about will do it. If anyone wants something back in return they really don’t care. I will put your email in my contacts so it doesn’t go to my spam and genuinely want to help for nothing, if you are genuine. So please mail me and I will be happy to meet you and help with how you go about this in the future, help with social media, and raising money for this cause. Best Pauline

promofaux
30 Jul '19

More likely you end up with a bunch of people not only signing up just for the prize potential, but also handing over their friends contact details to you.

You may have all the best intentions in the world, but the grab to get high numbers of users signing up in a quick period of time stinks of something far less savoury.

For something with very little press, you have a lot of followers on Instagram (less so on twitter, oddly), and not a great deal of user engagement on those platforms. Again, not saying anything, but it sure looks fishy.

You should be able to “sell” this product on its own merit. By offering a fancy prize or two, you’re attracting the kind of people that ultimately are just after something for nothing. Which I would have thought was the polar opposite of the types of people you are trying to attract.

Just my two cents!

Pauline
30 Jul '19

Thanks for your email you sent to me, am looking forward to meeting you and helping if I can in any way

Best
Pauline

Pauline
30 Jul '19

I can confirm @starman is @starman we just had a PM chat. I love that guy :slight_smile:

Beige
30 Jul '19

Agree. OP might even be a legit ambassador for the fish factory though. Remember, if you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

It’s not a good habit to take what you read online / in forums at face value.

Pauline
30 Jul '19

Sure I will find out sooner or later, but prefer to give benefit of the doubt first.

weepy
31 Jul '19

I don’t think it’s fishy at all. Just over eager to get users. I know what it’s like - it can be hard to see the wood for the trees

DMAFB
31 Jul '19

I’m meeting Pauline this weekend so I am sure she’ll be able to tell you whether aliens or a government conspiracy are behind this …

Foresthillnick
31 Jul '19

For those that are interested here is the South London Press write up

DMAFB SLP.pdf (214.9 KB)

Pauline
31 Jul '19

Don, I’ve just emailed you a time to meet up on Sunday for an hour. Let me know if it suits. Best Pauline

DMAFB
31 Jul '19

Thanks Nick - I will also be on The Kindness Project podcast on the 12th

system
29 Sep '19

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.