One Tree Hill art/graffiti?

Update: we’ve added a poll

Not a fan of this new art/graffiti in the middle of One Tree Hill.

Street art is great, but I don’t think it’s appropriate in a nature reserve designated as a Grade 1 Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation.

And on a historic relic, too. :frowning:

What do you reckon?

1 Like

Sheer vandalism. There’s no more merit in this than in the vandalism other taggers had already inflicted on it.

Harkiran kalsi writes: “I’m going to always do what I want to do. So get use to seeing more of my words around SE”

And: “Already found my next spot can’t wait.”

6 Likes

Lighten up a bit, it’s fine. Let people leave uplifting messages, there’s no malice and the graffiti on the stand doesn’t exactly ruin the view.

3 Likes

Here’s some info on how the gun emplacement was used in defence against Zeppelins. This is a slide from a talk Steve Grindlay gave a few years ago …

Slide6.JPG

Michael Abrahams posted all the slides from the talk here …

http://fhhistory.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post.html?m=1

Apologies to any who think I’m going off topic.

2 Likes

For me it’s vile . I do not want every “ blank “ surface , be it timber , stone , brickwork , to be covered by cod philosophy.

These daubings have a huge impact on our visual environment and as such there should be consensus before rules on vandalism are waived . It’s selfish and egotistical . I for instance for prefer the BBC to stop playing at presenting the news and fill the time with Bach . It’s only my wish and I would be horrified for that to happen unless there was a huge evidenced public support for it .

9 Likes

I have bought a print previously so clearly this style appeals more to me than maybe others. Agree perhaps better suited to a more urban surrounding than where it is. But can also see clearly painted over some other tags. So doubt pictures before would show it showing a pristine wall beforehand in which case what’s the difference.

2 Likes

Noticed some people up there do not respect that special land marks anywhere infuriating. Sorry but that look tacky. I do hope it gets removed! Maybe old time pictures should be there like VE Day type ones to remind some people about respect. Just a thought!!

3 Likes

Doesn’t seem to take feedback kindly and sounds a bit angry:

If everyone had that attitude, I don’t think we’d have much of a society left.

Maybe someone in the street art community could try and quietly have a word about what’s appropriate and help hook her up with better outlets for her work? Some of her stuff on Intagram and Etsy is quite nice too, much much better than her misplaced low-quality ‘work’ on the bandstand.

7 Likes

Approx 1.5 million times better than those twee faux railway sign murals

You hit the nail bang on the head there Nigel. However, I must admit to hoping that we have now hit peak ‘faux railway sign murals’ as Djoyner puts it

1 Like

4 Likes

Given that the police are now going to take some time out from chasing us round the parks, perhaps they could apprehend him/her.

2 Likes

Yes - I think that’s significant here. It’s unlikely permission was granted to anyone for the One Tree Hill graffiti and an excuse of ‘someone had already tagged it first’ wouldn’t mount any legal defense. It seems foolish to be breaking the law and advertising the fact so overtly, though I doubt it will come to anything.

Also note that much of the other street art is done with permission from the owner, including the faux railway sign murals on Network Rail owned walls. Without pointing fingers, I’m sure some of those artists did start less legally though have ‘come good’ - personal tastes aside.

Anyway, I know it’s good to be strong and have positive self-belief, but I think it’s also good to be humble and honest with one’s self at times too.

I’d be a lot more impressed if Harkiran was able to say ‘I got it wrong, sorry’ and then perhaps even go back and paint it all dark green or something. That would be a real show of self-strength in my opinion.

6 Likes

I agree 100%. But I wouldn’t hold you breath waiting for a display of humility.

3 Likes

Except these aren’t entirely her words. One panel appears to be a misquote from a Tupac lyric:

“Hahaha, that’s right
I know it seem hard sometimes
But uh, remember one thing
Through every dark night, there’s a bright day after that
So no matter how hard it get
Stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it!”

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/2pac/meagainsttheworld.html

But what really worries me is where next? She says she’s already found her next “spot” aka target.

4 Likes

Well we have (a) the evidence, then there is (b) the confession. One would hope that even our local plod could connect A and B together and do something to spare us any more of this sort of thing. However, I am not holding my breath on that one either.

2 Likes

It won’t happen and even if it does it will just give her publicity. Maybe a more honest daub would be: “It’s all about me”.

I have nothing against her work per se. It’s not to my taste, but as a young teenager I admit to having posters with quotes on them from things like The Prophet. But I did no damage to anything other than by sellotape damage to my Dad’s paintwork in my bedroom.

But she sells on Etsy and loads of other places. She really doesn’t need to behave like every other tagger that doesn’t have her business acumen.

3 Likes

My first visit to the top of One Tree Hill was only a couple of weeks ago. Lovely, if not a bit crowded.

From an aesthetic perspective her work improves greatly on the tags underneath with messages as relevant today as it would have been during WW2 posters or graffiti. Do I like the execution of the pieces? Not wholly. But when I take a walk up there this afternoon for my health break I’ll appreciate it more than then the tags underneath it.

You’d be suprised how much of London’s loved urban art pieces aren’t. Even many of our loved local street artists still seek blank canvasses without permission. Some also make a decent living out of it with commissions. But those commissions would never have come if they had not explored their art form, and promoted their brand through this type of work. Even the most famous British street artist working today never seeks permission for his art. But then again, Southwark Council probably won’t be selling it, or if they did achieve the price of an uncommissioned Banksy.

Now we’ve heard both sides of the argument, an obligatory straw poll about this new art/graffiti

• Love it
  • Like it
  • Don’t feel strongly
  • Dislike it
  • Hate it

0 voters

1 Like

On the topic of street art, there is an ongoing effort to create a School of Muralism (read street art) right here in Lewisham and in association with Goldsmiths. They are raising funds to start this and are so close to reaching their target.