Archived on 6/5/2022

One Tree Hill art/graffiti?

anon5422159
11 May '20

Update: we’ve added a poll

Not a fan of this new art/graffiti in the middle of One Tree Hill.

Street art is great, but I don’t think it’s appropriate in a nature reserve designated as a Grade 1 Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation.

And on a historic relic, too. :frowning:

What do you reckon?

marymck
11 May '20

Sheer vandalism. There’s no more merit in this than in the vandalism other taggers had already inflicted on it.

Harkiran kalsi writes: “I’m going to always do what I want to do. So get use to seeing more of my words around SE”

And: “Already found my next spot can’t wait.”

Billyg8891
11 May '20

Lighten up a bit, it’s fine. Let people leave uplifting messages, there’s no malice and the graffiti on the stand doesn’t exactly ruin the view.

marymck
11 May '20

Here’s some info on how the gun emplacement was used in defence against Zeppelins. This is a slide from a talk Steve Grindlay gave a few years ago …

Slide6.JPG

Michael Abrahams posted all the slides from the talk here …

Apologies to any who think I’m going off topic.

NigelA
11 May '20

For me it’s vile . I do not want every “ blank “ surface , be it timber , stone , brickwork , to be covered by cod philosophy.

These daubings have a huge impact on our visual environment and as such there should be consensus before rules on vandalism are waived . It’s selfish and egotistical . I for instance for prefer the BBC to stop playing at presenting the news and fill the time with Bach . It’s only my wish and I would be horrified for that to happen unless there was a huge evidenced public support for it .

Sgc
11 May '20

I have bought a print previously so clearly this style appeals more to me than maybe others. Agree perhaps better suited to a more urban surrounding than where it is. But can also see clearly painted over some other tags. So doubt pictures before would show it showing a pristine wall beforehand in which case what’s the difference.

anon27836993
11 May '20

Noticed some people up there do not respect that special land marks anywhere infuriating. Sorry but that look tacky. I do hope it gets removed! Maybe old time pictures should be there like VE Day type ones to remind some people about respect. Just a thought!!

ForestHull
12 May '20

Doesn’t seem to take feedback kindly and sounds a bit angry:

If everyone had that attitude, I don’t think we’d have much of a society left.

Maybe someone in the street art community could try and quietly have a word about what’s appropriate and help hook her up with better outlets for her work? Some of her stuff on Intagram and Etsy is quite nice too, much much better than her misplaced low-quality ‘work’ on the bandstand.

djoyner
12 May '20

Approx 1.5 million times better than those twee faux railway sign murals

Thewrongtrousers
12 May '20

You hit the nail bang on the head there Nigel. However, I must admit to hoping that we have now hit peak ‘faux railway sign murals’ as Djoyner puts it

anon5422159
12 May '20

Thewrongtrousers
12 May '20

Given that the police are now going to take some time out from chasing us round the parks, perhaps they could apprehend him/her.

ForestHull
12 May '20

Yes - I think that’s significant here. It’s unlikely permission was granted to anyone for the One Tree Hill graffiti and an excuse of ‘someone had already tagged it first’ wouldn’t mount any legal defense. It seems foolish to be breaking the law and advertising the fact so overtly, though I doubt it will come to anything.

Also note that much of the other street art is done with permission from the owner, including the faux railway sign murals on Network Rail owned walls. Without pointing fingers, I’m sure some of those artists did start less legally though have ‘come good’ - personal tastes aside.

Anyway, I know it’s good to be strong and have positive self-belief, but I think it’s also good to be humble and honest with one’s self at times too.

I’d be a lot more impressed if Harkiran was able to say ‘I got it wrong, sorry’ and then perhaps even go back and paint it all dark green or something. That would be a real show of self-strength in my opinion.

Thewrongtrousers
12 May '20

I agree 100%. But I wouldn’t hold you breath waiting for a display of humility.

marymck
12 May '20

Except these aren’t entirely her words. One panel appears to be a misquote from a Tupac lyric:

“Hahaha, that’s right
I know it seem hard sometimes
But uh, remember one thing
Through every dark night, there’s a bright day after that
So no matter how hard it get
Stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it!”

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/2pac/meagainsttheworld.html

But what really worries me is where next? She says she’s already found her next “spot” aka target.

Thewrongtrousers
12 May '20

Well we have (a) the evidence, then there is (b) the confession. One would hope that even our local plod could connect A and B together and do something to spare us any more of this sort of thing. However, I am not holding my breath on that one either.

marymck
12 May '20

It won’t happen and even if it does it will just give her publicity. Maybe a more honest daub would be: “It’s all about me”.

I have nothing against her work per se. It’s not to my taste, but as a young teenager I admit to having posters with quotes on them from things like The Prophet. But I did no damage to anything other than by sellotape damage to my Dad’s paintwork in my bedroom.

But she sells on Etsy and loads of other places. She really doesn’t need to behave like every other tagger that doesn’t have her business acumen.

starman
12 May '20

My first visit to the top of One Tree Hill was only a couple of weeks ago. Lovely, if not a bit crowded.

From an aesthetic perspective her work improves greatly on the tags underneath with messages as relevant today as it would have been during WW2 posters or graffiti. Do I like the execution of the pieces? Not wholly. But when I take a walk up there this afternoon for my health break I’ll appreciate it more than then the tags underneath it.

You’d be suprised how much of London’s loved urban art pieces aren’t. Even many of our loved local street artists still seek blank canvasses without permission. Some also make a decent living out of it with commissions. But those commissions would never have come if they had not explored their art form, and promoted their brand through this type of work. Even the most famous British street artist working today never seeks permission for his art. But then again, Southwark Council probably won’t be selling it, or if they did achieve the price of an uncommissioned Banksy.

SE23.life
12 May '20

Now we’ve heard both sides of the argument, an obligatory straw poll about this new art/graffiti

• Love it
  • Like it
  • Don’t feel strongly
  • Dislike it
  • Hate it

0 voters

starman
12 May '20

On the topic of street art, there is an ongoing effort to create a School of Muralism (read street art) right here in Lewisham and in association with Goldsmiths. They are raising funds to start this and are so close to reaching their target.

starman
12 May '20

If anyone knows where this one is let me know. I’ve enjoyed photographing the many supportive urban art that is popping up all over the place and am in desperate need of new routes for walks.

anon5422159
12 May '20

Perhaps ask the excellent @Love_SE4 on Twitter?

NigelA
12 May '20

Tommy I hope you’re right , Penge and Sydenham seem to more outbreaks popping up . There always seems to be someone making you the bad guy for objecting . I really hate the post-Scarman look - you never see it in places that are well looked after and broadly law-abiding . Wonder why?
Cheers Nigel

oakr
12 May '20

I’m not a fan of any graffiti \ street art in the location on One Tree Hill, I’d be happier if it could all be painted over again which IMO would suite the surroundings much more.

It is at least a positive message, I’ll give the person that.

marymck
12 May '20

I’ve never understood this thing about Tupac. Maybe it’s just me and I’ve missed something, but did he ever even apologise for the sexual abuse he was jailed for and all those violent lyrics? As I said, maybe I’m just not across it all. But whatever the words, whoever is doing it, however skillful or not, I just think it’s wrong to do this graffiti/street art or fart or whatever people choose to call it without permission of the owner or guardian. Taste is subjective and probably the people whose tags were painted over valued their stuff as much as Harky values her stuff.

ForestHull
12 May '20

I don’t know, her company paid dividends of £28k last year, mainly to her, which isn’t too bad going in itself.

I think Banksy gets away with it because he has a much better sense of location, originality and wit and would be unlikely to daub plagiarised Tupac lyrics at a historic nature spot.

Enjoy your walk later - it’s a lovely day.

Thewrongtrousers
12 May '20

On the contrary, I think you have understood this thing about Tupac all too well marymck.

starman
12 May '20

My comments there were not specific. But great to hear she makes a living from her art.

Art is subjective and some artists will attract more love than others. Yours is a good example of much public debate on public art often split between “I don’t like that, get rid of it” and “That’s quite good, it should stay.” I’m also minded that true street art (not commissioned) is meant to be transient.

I wouldn’t get too mired down in accusations of plagiarising… even Banksy copies other artists. Though if that was a direct quote it would have been best to attribute it rather than claim “my words”. In that context you are right, though I think I know what she meant.

ForestHull
12 May '20

No, I think it’s plagiarism without due credit or improvement.

“Go a little bit out of your depth. And when you don’t feel that your feet are quite touching the bottom, you’re just” / “about in the right place to do something exciting.”, which is credited to Harkiran in the first pictures, is a Bowie quote for example.

marymck
12 May '20

I don’t know what I find more depressing about graffiti: the lack of respect for place or the lack of imagination and originality.

thumbs_rat-1981spray_S

thumbs_rats_80s

These aren’t Banksy. They predate Banksy. They’re Blek le Rat. He in turn was “inspired” by spray painting vandals who made such a horror of the 1970s New York subways. Le Rat went on to spray paint his derivative “art” on the fabric of UNESCO World Heritage Site Volubilis. There’s not a lot of respect or the sense of feeling for place that I would have hoped for in an “artist” in some of these people.

It all seems to be about who is more clever at monetising. It’s way beyond making a living. I find it really sad.

starman
12 May '20

You’re getting close to presenting an art history. Blek le Rat has been Banksy’s inspiration and is often acknowledged when he is interviewed.

NigelA
12 May '20

With respect to all, surely this discussion of art versus graffiti and Banksy versus Micky Mouse or whoever he is called, is what makes the application of paint without permission so wrong .

If someone is play deafening music next door it matters little whether it’s Bartok. (it never is ) or Bieber M - fact is nobody chose to experience it , just the person who’s playing it, or this case. spraying it . I don’t see how this risk goes away if we simply allow anyone with the means and motivation to just do it . Our strategy seems to be " I hope too many people don’t do it ".
I’m sorry if that’s “running your mouth on peoples feeds” .

promofaux
12 May '20

I’m reminded of the battle between Mobstr and Tower Hamlets council up on Fish Island:

https://www.mobstr.org/red

starman
12 May '20

Ha. I remember that. I wonder if that precipitated the council’s policy change on street art last year.

(Yes I could tweet them and ask)

djoyner
12 May '20

Haha is that real? TH council will now be determining what’s art? Banter.

NigelA
12 May '20

I guess Tower Hamlets, like Lewisham, have a surplus of cash so spending money on pressure washing brickwork , painting it red several times, plus cost of materials and labour is good way to eliminate those unwanted resources . Otherwise they would waste it on nonsense like social care , youth services, cycling and safer streets .

The idea is even more ludicrous than TH council ruling on what is art (in fact anyone ruling on what is art) .

Thewrongtrousers
12 May '20

By the looks of him, Mayor Biggs knows a thing or two about art so the council tax payers of TH are in good hands. However, he needs to be careful of that nice suit when wielding the big roller with the black paint.

Forestbird
13 May '20

The answer is to report graffiti on fix my street. Hopefully when things are back working it will be removed.

jonfrewin
15 May '20

Looks like someone did report it, as the whole thing has been repainted in the last couple of days.

anon27836993
15 May '20

Yay!! Green like the scenery. It would be nice to see old time pics of this area randomly placed if not all is good still. The signs that are placed about also get messed up by so and so’s which annoys me and others. Tag your walls at home if your bored. Some people just have no class. Though I am all for spreading positivity sometimes you just have to respect not every place is of choice to project that.

NigelA
16 May '20

It looks a lot better - without wishing to seem Negative Nancy , it’s a shame we have to look st so much random brown and green paint but I guess that’s the price we pay for others’ vanity and need to be heard .

ForestHull
18 May '20

12 posts were split to a new topic: More posts moved from One Tree Hill art/graffiti topic

Thewrongtrousers
18 May '20

It might not be the council, it could be a rival artist whose modus operandi is to go around South London painting things green anonymously. It may spread to other landmarks and provoke an outcry among concerned citizens. Then the council will come and paint over it in beige or some other municipal colour.

Londondrz
18 May '20

They could have done it in green and brown aka camouflage!

Grin71
28 May '20

You don’t like Lionel Stanhope’s art?

djoyner
28 May '20

Some of it, but not the railway sign stuff. Derirative twee nostalgia gin o’clock bunting keep calm and carry on dreck

anon27836993
30 May '20

Yesterday I noticed this no respect at all from some!! Even to leaving rubbish.

starman
31 May '20

A new art installation has appeared over night. Not quite as successful as @Lionel’s garbage bag wall art but likely to be more devisive.

anon27836993
31 May '20

Absolutely disgusting and dam right disrespectful ban these culprits!!