Proposed Development on Duncombe Hill Green

brockley-rise
duncombe-hill
duncombe-green

Does the 3ft max height only apply to if it joins a main road? I ask because a very high fence has gone up around the garden of a house on the corner of Brockley View and Montem road. That corner is absolutely lethal. It’s a 90 degree corner which is now a complete blind spot when driving round it because of the high fence. It’s an accident waiting to happen.

1 Like

Logistically speaking, it’s too small a plot for a block of flats to be built on using traditional cavity construction in the sense that once the first lift is up to slab height a mobile crane would have to be used to lift the bison beams into place after any necessary steels have been fitted. From experience that process can take up to two days and Brockley Rise would have to be closed to accomodate the crane which would cause huge disruption to traffic and the project’s immediate neighbours. Then along comes the next problem. After the bison beams (celular concrete rafts - the floor) have been lowered onto the blockwork superstructure, scaffolders would have to include a loading bay/gantry into the scaffolding package. In any normal project the loading bay would be serviced by an all-terrain telescopic forklift that would not be practical on such a tight spot such as the one one being discussed. For anything to be built there it would almost certainly be a timber kit superstructure with a masonry jacket of brickwork. This will have less of an impact on the local community but from the developer’s perspective they’d be making a loss because timber frame construction is notorious for lowering the value of the property because they tend to have only a lifespan of fifty-odd years before they start to become structually unsound.

1 Like

Muckaway for the footings using a HIAB grab lorry would mean the pavement on Brockley Rise would have to be closed because the owners of said lorries insist on their lorries being on the most level piece of land and although they can self-level using hydraulic jacks they are prone to tipping over so Duncombe Hill would be out of the question. Footings would take ages because you could only realistically use a one or two ton mini digger to dig the trenchs and then you have to close the pavement once the concrete wagon turns-up for the day. Dust surpression will also be a huge challenge to overcome. When I was helping to build the new block of flats on Dacres Road dust supression wasn’t much of an issue because we used the disc cutters at the back of the project. On the job I’ve just finished doing in Golders Green we had complaints during the summer of dust clouds obscuring bus drivers’ vision because we were cutting near the main road. I suspect the same would be an issue on this little plot of land.

0 Likes

A fence higher than 1 metre adjacent to any road needs planning permission. This is unlikely to be granted where there is danger, e.g. at a junction.

You should complain to Lewisham Council.

0 Likes

Interesting and very helpful insight to the logistics of building a block of flats on this site.
Thanks for taking the time to share as I’d imagine it will add weight to the argument to oppose development.

1 Like

Thank you, and you’re more than welcome; but don’t take it as gospel if or when you take it to a planning committee/appeal. I’m a professional bricklayer, not a general building contractor overseeing the entire build and the problems I’ve outlined are from personal observation and not from the perspective of the principle contractor who’ll have more of a vested interest in the project than I would.

1 Like

Correct

0 Likes

Nice!?

0 Likes

Unfortunate news. The recent bad weather must have smashed the lock and left the gates wide open yesterday. …or something. So you can go in and hug a tree whenever you like. That fence was built to last though.

8 Likes

Does this add any idea as to the motive for the fence? It looks like there’s nothing been done in there from your pics… nothing being hidden.

0 Likes

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember reading something along the lines of… a public space and footpath, which has been used as such for donkeys years, gains established use and can continue to be used by anyone who wants to use it as they always did.

These links might help.

https://www.oss.org.uk/what-we-do/rights-of-way/

2 Likes

no, as at Monday, they had just dug the fence post holes and put up the fence. there was a load of timber on the ground but I took that to be excess fence supplies. otherwise untouched.

the footpath remains outside the fence entirely untouched and in use as usual, but the space itself is completely enclosed.

0 Likes

The bomb damage maps are based on 1916 ordnance survey maps and it appears the site was open then. A V1 bomb landed there in WW2.

1 Like

I did wonder how long it would take before ‘bad weather’ had an effect on it :wink:

1 Like

For those interested there is a new Facebook group specifically focused on taking action around this issue.

1 Like

Save Duncombe Hill Green

1 Like

5 Likes

Good News! From the Change.org petition…

_15 Feb 2019 — _

Lewisham Council has issued an enforcement notice on the land owner, Investor Alliance Limited, requiring them to remove the fence and restore the land to its previous form and appearance. The owner has until 1 April 2019 to appeal. However, the Council has stated that it doesn’t consider that retrospective planning permission for the fence should be given as it (a) has resulted in substantial harm to the appearance of the street scene and public realm visual amenity and (b) is a bulky and incongruous addition that is contrary to the Council’s Core Strategy and Development Management Local Plan.

This is a great outcome for us, so I think we should all give ourselves a huge congratulatory pat on the back! However, the owner is a property investment company so it’s unlikely that this will be the end of matters. It will certainly be interesting to see what their next move will be. In the meantime, I intend to press on with handing in the petition to the Council at the next public meeting and to keep the pressure on in relation to confirmation of the TPO.

A full copy of the enforcement notice can be found in the dedicated Facebook group “Save Duncombe Hill Green”, where you can also follow updates and contribute to the discussion.

So for now it’s a question of Watch This (green) Space… But, by pulling together so formidably, we’ve managed to tick off our first significant achievement - Chin Chin to that!

Wishing you all a great weekend :slight_smile:

6 Likes

All good except:

A full copy of the enforcement notice can be found in the dedicated Facebook group “Save Duncombe Hill Green”, where you can also follow updates and contribute to the discussion.

Except it’s a closed group which needs a facebook account and pop-quiz answers before you can even see anything.

Could you please post the enforcement notice somewhere public like here?

1 Like

So you can only “Save Duncombe Hill Green” if you have a Farcebook a/c

3 Likes