Archived on 6/5/2022

Reopening of Forest Hill pools?

robin.orton
23 Jul '20

This (from the pools website) sounds rather ominous to me:

Following the government announcement that leisure centres may reopen, we have been analysing the safety and financial challenges ahead. The Covid crisis has had a huge financial impact on the sector and UKactive confirmed that projected footfall and income will be significantly down over the next year, whilst operating within the new guidelines.

We know your leisure facilities are really important for your health and well-being and we want them open again as soon as possible, so we hope that you will bear with us during this time. We are working with Lewisham Council to look at the options for a phased return of leisure centre provision. At this stage we will not be opening on the 25th July. However, please be assured, we are working closely with Lewisham Council to continue to assess the situation and will bring you news as soon as possible.

As a registered charity, Fusion is supporting the #SaveLeisure campaign launched by Community Leisure UK urging the UK Government to commit circa £800m relief funding to enable the full reopening and recovery of the public leisure sector. Without this dedicated relief fund a third of all public leisure facilities in the UK may not reopen and half will face permanent closure by the end of the year. To find out more about this campaign and ways you can support, click here.

Please stay tuned for more information, we will be in touch as soon we have an update for you.

Team Fusion

maxrocks
23 Jul '20

Hmmmmm… this does sound ominous.
I’ve received confirmation from my gym re: reopening with none of the handwringing over finances.
I suspect FHP will shortly announce a rise in their membership or cuts in facilities/classes.

EmmaJ
24 Jul '20

The council at the last Forest Hill assembly announced that there were some structural issues with the building. Perhaps, now would be a good time to repair it rather than re-open it and have to repair it later. It would save money by repairing it while it is empty.

robin.orton
24 Jul '20

I need my swim. I’m seizing up.

ChrisR
24 Jul '20

On Twitter earlier today Lewisham announced that Downham Health & Leisure Centre will reopen on Monday but the swimming pool isn’t expected to open until 10th August. No mention of any other leisure centres within the borough so have a horrible feeling that those desperate for a local swim have got a wait ahead of them :disappointed:

https://lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/events/venue-closures

CHfigaro
25 Jul '20

Around 1/3 of public leisure centres are not reopening

In part this will be down to the contractual relationship between operators and councils

For example, in Westminster, SLM (the operator) pays the council millions of pounds a year for the privilege of operating the centres

Yet in other parts of the country, councils pay operators a subsidy

Given clubs have been closed for 4 months, that clearly brings up some difficult conversations in either model

Add that to the expectation that footfall, therefore revenue, therefore profit will be down and it’s easy to see why some leisure centres may. It be opening just yet

robin.orton
25 Jul '20

Not much openness here. I think it would be good if someone - Fusion or the mayor or one of our councillors or a council official - could be more forthcoming about what the precise issues with relation to FH pools are. What are the realistic prospects of it reopening in weeks, rather then months or years? Swimming is virtually the only way in which elderly people like me with increasingly severe arthritis can take serious exercise; I’m having difficulty controlling my weight during the lockdown and worry that my general health is being prejudiced. If FH pools remain closed for a substantial period, I’m not sure what the realistic alternatives will be. for people like me.

maxrocks
25 Jul '20

Agree.

oakr
25 Jul '20

Hi @robin.orton - would Brockwell Lido be a temporary alternative option?

I’d agree it would be good to know when it will reopen. I suspect when they do reopen intially it would be without the pool but let’s see.

ChrisR
25 Jul '20

Earlier this evening I caught the tail end of an interview on BBC News Sportsday with the CEO of GLL . Under the brand Best GLL operate leisure centres for Greenwich, Bromley and many other London councils. They have opened most of the leisure centres in Greenwich today including 4 of them that have pools. They also operate the leisure centre at Crystal Palace National Sports Centre and that has opened today too.

So GLL have been able to open the leisure centres and pools in Greenwich while Fusion hasn’t managed to open any for Lewisham!! The one leisure centre in Lewisham that will open on Monday but won’t include the pool is Downham and surprise surprise it isn’t run by Fusion!!

CHfigaro
26 Jul '20

As I said, it’s probably a contractual issue rather than anything else

I supply Fusion, GLL and many other operators. Some contracts have opened up, others haven’t. It’s mostly down to whatever agreement can be made with the local council.

Downham is a totally different case as that is a PFI scheme.

robin.orton
26 Jul '20

oakr, thanks for the Brockwell Lido suggestion, but it’s 50 minutes away by public transport, which I think is a bit far.

One particular thing it would be good to know is what the implications of the structural problems that EmmaJ has reminded us of .are for the timetable for FH reopening.

ChrisR
26 Jul '20

@robin.orton How about Crystal Palace National Sports Centre? The 25m training pool has reopened but not the 50m racing pool.

ChrisR
26 Jul '20

Thanks @CHfigaro. I wondered why Downham was different!

robin.orton
6 Aug '20

Still no further info on Fusion or Lewisham council websites. I’ve emailed one of our FH ward councillors asking whether they can help.

robin.orton
9 Aug '20

I drafted a post with further information about this, but apparently what I wanted to say would have required prior approval by the Moderators, so I’ve deleted it, to avoid possible trouble.

ForestHull
9 Aug '20

Hi @robin.orton - do you mean @moderators here on se23.life?

I can’t find any records of anything that would have needed approval, but if you want to PM @moderators, we’re happy to help.

DevonishForester
9 Aug '20

Have you heard anything? I write to one six months ago, and still waiting. Do we know if they have all remained in good heath during the pandemic?

ChrisR
9 Aug '20

Have you seen this recent post?

robin.orton
9 Aug '20

No, I haven’t. But I see from another thread (‘Lewisham to award leisure contracts…’) that there is some doubt as to whether Fusion’s contract to run the pools is to be renewed. That no doubt explains why nobody wants to say anything.

robin.orton
9 Aug '20

Sorry, my post crossed with ChrisR"s, which overtakes it.

maxrocks
9 Aug '20

I do hope they award the contract to someone who runs FH better than Fusion.
After 3 years I finally gave up hoping management of our local centre would run it better with less last minute class cancellations and filth and joined another gym

ForestHull
9 Aug '20

I’m imagining that Lewisham are looking for a quick and early end to the contract with Fusion who seemingly haven’t yet publicised a plan for re-opening.

For example, Fusion’s statement from 5th August about reopening doesn’t sound optimistic or have much of a plan:

https://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/news/getting-ready-to-bounce-back/

If Lewisham were considering unilaterally taking the contract away from Fusion, there might well be lawyers involved and hence a desire to discuss things behind closed doors until the valid legal options are considered and the way forward chosen.

I wonder if there could be anything like a Force Majeure clause in the contract which can be triggered by C-19 and excuse Fusion for failure to deliver services.

Fairly wild speculation on my part, but hopefully this is a good step to getting things up and running again in Lewisham as quickly as possible.

John_Wilson
10 Aug '20

I’m sure there is a clause for force majeure but what would their excuse be for the fact it isn’t open today?

robin.orton
10 Aug '20

I’ve now had a sympathetic reply to my email to a ward councillor. They promise to pass on my concerns about the future of the pool to ‘the appropriate Cabinet Member.’

Personally, I’ve got a soft spot for Fusion, and have no real complaints about the way they ran the pools. (Don’t know about the gym.) But I don’t really mind who runs the pools, so long as they open again as soon as possible

TomAngel
7 Sep '20

Is there any news on when the pools might be reopening?

Many thanks if anyone has any clue. They never pick up their phone.

kennis
7 Sep '20

No change on the website. Also, no info on the swim lessons for kids. I can’t beleive schools are back and they still haven’t got anywhere with this.

What I find really mad is that the council agreed to pay 100% of the furlough salaries for Fusion, and yet they are not trying to get those people back to work.

DevonishForester
7 Sep '20

and we’re not allowed to know why

clausy
7 Sep '20

It was linked earlier in this post too, but Lewisham to award leisure contract in unscheduled decision - they’re changing the management company so the handover is probably taking a while

CHfigaro
8 Sep '20

I’ll be able to let you know shortly what the plan is as I am speaking to the right person at GLL about FHP and the other sites

LdnLady
10 Sep '20

No they certainly did not pay 100% furlough to their staff, where did you pick up that news?

robert
12 Sep '20

Any news when pool and gym will reopen. The area around is getting overgrown. We need some action lewisham council.

clausy
12 Sep '20

They definitely registered staff for furlough. I’m not sure what percentage, but my son’s been paid via the scheme.

robert
15 Sep '20

I have just had a reply from Cllr Sophie Davis. The new contact has been awarded to Greenwich Leisure Ltd. There is no definate time of reopening. See what happens

John_Wilson
15 Sep '20

Emails apparently went out to customers yesterday saying October (ish)

robin.orton
15 Sep '20

I haven’t had an email. I used to over-sixties swim twice a week before lockdown, but perhaps I don’t count as a customer as I didn’t have to pay.

John_Wilson
15 Sep '20

If you didn’t pay you arguably weren’t a customer! In reality it is probably because you didn’t have a subscription

maxrocks
15 Sep '20

My OH has membership and hasn’t received an email.
its a bit of a s***show tbh not properly updating people who have been paying membership fees since closure

John_Wilson
16 Sep '20

My OH got bored waiting and cancelled her membership but got the email. Maybe they don’t care about the people paying for nothing (gyms always have a weird relationship with them)

clausy
16 Sep '20

My son’s a lifeguard there and hasn’t been contacted about anything either. I know they’re not easy to source so I’m sure they’d have been in touch about transferring staff if there was anything happening imminently.

Poppleoppledus
16 Sep '20

Could be nothing, but looking at the font on the pages, looks like it could be connected to Better Leisure in some way:

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

Yep - some this was covered back in this topic which has some more details about the change of contract, though I’m afraid it doesn’t answer the burning question of just when will FH Pools reopen!

ChrisR
16 Sep '20

GLL (Greenwich Leisure Ltd) is the overall company name but the leisure centres trade under the name “BETTER”

SophieDavis
18 Sep '20

Hi all,

Just sharing an update on this - https://lewisham.gov.uk/articles/news/lewisham-to-reopen-leisure-centres-from-october (and copied below) -

A phased reopening of Lewisham’s leisure centres and swimming pools will start from October 2020.

It is anticipated four leisure centres will open in the coming weeks starting with Glassmills, Forest Hill Pools and Ladywell Arena in October and Wavelengths in November. Reopening dates will be announced early October.

Our new partner, GLL is in the process of undertaking an assessment of centres. The majority of leisure centres in the borough have been closed for over six months. Downham Health & Leisure Centre, which his operated by 1Life, opened with limited services in July 2020.

GLL look forward to welcoming back the dedicated Lewisham team and is ready to start work on each of these centres to ensure that facilities are ready to welcome customers back safely. Following the long closure, necessary maintenance and deep cleaning will be undertaken as quickly as possible. All staff will be trained on the new ways of working and rules to keep everyone safe during the continued COVID-19 restrictions.

Lewisham Council is absolutely committed to an accessible leisure offer for residents. The financial challenges of reopening should not be underestimated and much depends on the general public’s willingness to return to leisure centres during ongoing uncertainty due to COVID-19.

The entire leisure sector has been hit hard by the economic impact of coronavirus and across the country, local authorities and leisure centre operators are facing similar challenges. The Council and GLL will be undertaking assessments at the other centres during October and further details will be released then.

Councillor Bourne, Cabinet member for Culture, Jobs and Skills (job share) said:

“Many people have been in touch eager to return to activities and use our leisure facilities. We very much share this enthusiasm, we want to thank everyone for their patience. We are delighted to announce that plans are well underway to safely reopen four of our leisure centres in the next couple of months.

“We cannot underestimate just how challenging the economic circumstances are for the leisure sector. The success of our leisure centres hinges on Lewisham residents feeling confident to return for a workout, a swim, to join an exercise class or participate in sport.

“Public swimming pools up and down the country are in desperate need of financial help and the #SaveLeisure campaign presents sensible suggestions for government funding to secure a sustainable future for facilities.”

Mark Sesnan, CEO of GLL said:

"We are looking forward to bringing our extensive experience successfully operating public leisure services to our new Lewisham partnership.

"Our Charitable Social Enterprise brings significant benefits for customers, council and staff - whose feedback we will be seeking as we open our leisure programmes going forward.

“Customers and staff can have complete assurance that your centres will be COVID-19 secure - with one way systems, social distancing and enhanced cleaning regimes in place.”

Published on: 17/09/2020

anon5422159
23 Sep '20
clausy
23 Sep '20

Just in time for Lockdown 2.0!

EmmaJ
23 Sep '20

I do wonder about how this is going to work financially.

Yes the over 60’s are very keen to get back as they get access for free but I think the paying customers are yet to be convinced.

The previous practice of keeping the centre open for 14 hours seems expensive. I think they should look at opening for fewer hours but making it free for everybody and accept that as a revenue model initially to get people in with appropriate hygiene and social distancing procedures.

ForestHull
23 Sep '20

I guess on the positive side, GLL already has centres open in other Boroughs and so hopefully already have some experience of what is safe, practical and financially viable.

I’m sure it still won’t be easy for them though.

PV
23 Sep '20

I’ve been going to Charlton lido whilst FH pools have been shut and it’s been well attended. I think the pent up demand is there, just not sure how long until lockdown rules might change things again…

maxrocks
23 Sep '20

I wasn’t aware that the over 60’s get free gym membership in Lewisham ?
where did you see this?

EmmaJ
23 Sep '20

I don’t know about gym costs but there is free swimming. Hopefully they keep it so I eventually qualify for it.

robin.orton
12 Oct '20

Has anyone got any more news about this? The plan was to open in October.

clausy
12 Oct '20

Well, I do sort of have some news - my son got his ‘transition to GLL’ employment contract in the post over the weekend so things are moving along - nothing more concrete than that.

CHfigaro
12 Oct '20

My company is deep cleaning all three reopening centres - FHP, Wavelengths and Glass Mill - for GLL over the next three weeks.

So I’d expect early November will be reopening based on that, but not sure on the details yet

TomAngel
28 Oct '20

Any more lockdown and there will be no gyms, shops. cafes or pubs left. Fingers crossed the pools reopen. I’m getting desperate.

SophieDavis
29 Oct '20

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in confirming the re-opening date - it is taking longer than expected. I was told that we’d be able to announce the re-opening date this week and I am following this up with Council officers. I will confirm as soon as I can.

Sophie

Cari_Hoskins
29 Oct '20

What happens with old Fusion membership? There is no helpful information on the Fusion website, has anyone had their membership changed to GLL or has it just been cancelled?

robin.orton
29 Oct '20

I’ve had an email from the new people saying that Fusion membership is going to be automatically transferred to them.

clausy
30 Oct '20

FHP on Nov 30th

ForestHull
30 Oct '20

From the above page:

Chris
30 Oct '20

Does anybody have an email address for the people running Forest Hill now?

robin.orton
30 Oct '20

Their website is https://www.better.org.uk/. I had an email from info@better-mail.org.uk

Fishface
30 Oct '20

It will be sad if they re-open and then get shut down if we go into Tier 3 :slightly_frowning_face:

Chris
31 Oct '20

Thanks for that. Will drop them an email.

D453
31 Oct '20

I just got notification of a new direct debit set up by Greenwich Leisure Ltd. I assume this is the new operators? Super annoying since we cancelled our everyone active membership years ago! Any ideas on who I should contact??

clausy
31 Oct '20

Yes it’s GLL now

ForestHull
31 Oct '20

Your bank? You should be able to cancel the direct debit and check if any money has been charged to your bank account.

oakr
31 Oct '20

With the new Lockdown, assuming it is voted for on Wednesday which seems likely, looks like all gyms will be closed until early December at the earliest. Not sure if that means these facilities can just open once lockdown ends, or if this will add further work and if some of the work already carried out will need to be done again. I assume the latter but have no inside knowledge of the industry at all.

starman
3 Nov '20

Unsurprisingly, GLL have confirmed that the Pools will not be reopening at the end of the month. They’ve told me to keep an eye on their website for news on when it will open after Lockdown 2.0.

If anyone is confused by their website and app which shows the nearest facility as in Cornwall, they have said they haven’t added to new facilities here yet.

SophieDavis
6 Nov '20

Re membership, I understand that membership has transferred automatically - I’m expecting GLL to clarify this shortly.

SophieDavis
24 Nov '20

Hi all,

I asked a question of the Cabinet member ahead of tomorrow’s Council meeting regarding GLL and membership information - the answer is below.

Question by Councillor Davis
of the Cabinet Member for Culture, Jobs and Skills

Question

Could the Cabinet member confirm when he expects Greenwich Leisure Limited to be in a position to provide residents with (a) further information concerning membership and (b) a point of contact for each Leisure Centre?

Greenwich Leisure Limited are planning to write to all previous Fusion members during early in the week commencing 23rd November at the latest. This communication has been delayed due to the second lockdown as a phased reopening of facilities was planned from 16th November which had to be delayed.

Due to the ongoing changes I have, to date, requested that communication with GLL is undertaken via Council Officers to ensure a prompt response as a number of GLL staff remain on furlough due to lockdown. However, email addresses have been created for each site and these will be available once we receive clarity on the end date for the current restrictions and operational staff return from furlough. In the meantime Council Officers remain willing and able to answer any site specific queries that you may have.

robert
26 Nov '20

As a retiree living off Dartmouth Road one of my main forms of exercise used to be swimming. Obviously with covid and the allocation of leisure contract this has not been possible.
With the announcement of London being placed in tier 2 will I be allowed to go swimming once the new leisure provider gets its act together?

oakr
26 Nov '20

I believe swimming is allowed again so yes once open you can go, at your own risk of course!

From the Government website here

Swim

robert
27 Nov '20

Thank you for your reply. I think probably new year for the pool and gym to be up and totally functioning.

robin.orton
3 Dec '20

It seems 4 January is now the expected reopening date.

ForestHull
3 Dec '20

It’s a bit buried in the article, but you are right!

Downham has also reopened, along with Ladywell Arena, for athletics clubs only, while Forest Hill Pools and Wavelengths are expected to reopen on January 4, 2021.

Still no word on The Bridge and Bellingham though:

Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL), which was awarded a £1.4 million two-year contract to take over from Fusion, is surveying each centre to ensure they are Covid safety compliant.

This includes The Bridge and Bellingham, “which require a more comprehensive assessment before they open”.

DevonishForester
9 Dec '20

Do we know if that is the whole building, or the first floor changing rooms remaining out of use?

SophieDavis
10 Dec '20

@DevonishForester it will be the whole building - the first floor shower area has been fully stripped out and redone during lockdown.

SophieDavis
10 Dec '20

Have just received more info:

Opening hours of the centre will be 7am-9pm
weekdays and 7am-3pm weekends.

Both pools will be open (so swim school restarts) and there will be gym and aerobics programme (tier 3 permitting). Spin bikes have been moved into the café area to create an additional activity space (this kind of approach has gone down well at Glass Mill giving visibility of activity to passers by).

There has been a programme of deep cleaning throughout the building.

Some redecoration and customer facing works are currently underway. This includes lighting repairs, replacement of broken sanitaryware and other cosmetic improvements.

Most striking will be the removal of the old reception desk to make way for the new concierge style of welcoming customers. GLL staff will be on hand to welcome returning customers and attend to any queries. And of course there is a whole new inventory of gym equipment in the building.

Customers will need to book in advance via the Better app or through the Better website.

One way systems will be in place so customers will enter the building via the normal entrance adjacent to reception but will exit in one way systems as directed.

The first floor changing rooms have been repaired as James has pointed out but will remain out of bounds for now as we cannot put in place COVID safe routing.

Hope this is helpful!

JCA
11 Dec '20

Thanks for the details.

Are these temporary opening hours? 7am seems very late to open on a weekday and doesn’t take into account people who need to travel into central London for work by 9am. They originally opened at 6am which allows Forest Hill Pools to compete with Energie Gym.

SophieDavis
11 Dec '20

@JCA yes are these temporary and will be reviewed every month.

kennis
25 Feb '21

Is there any more news on reopening? Other centres now have a roadmap.

ForestHull
25 Feb '21

Great question! Now there is a roadmap towards the end of lockdown, I guess there must be some plans being set for re-opening of this among many many things I’d imagine. I’m not sure if it also needs to wait for more definitive government guidance on what’s exactly allowed / expected - I think it was said that outdoor pools could reopen from 2021-03-28T23:00:00Z. Obviously that doesn’t cover FH pools, which also has a gym and other areas, not just the pool to consider.

@SophieDavis is on maternity leave now (congrats again!) so I guess we have to either wait for Lewisham to publish an update, or smile upon @LeoGibbons in case he has time to bring us some good news earlier? Or maybe @CHfigaro has some insider info?

robin.orton
25 Feb '21

I had an email from Better saying that if all goes well they hope to reopen their indoor pools 'after the school Easter holidays '.

LeoGibbons
26 Feb '21

Forest Hill Pools will be opening as scheduled when lockdown eases and leisure facilities are allowed to open.

oakr
26 Feb '21

Great news, thanks Leo.

DevonishForester
26 Feb '21

Hopefully the entire building will be ready - all repairs completed, no changing rooms out of service.

oakr
4 Apr '21

What you need to know: indoor activities from 12th April

The following locations are preparing to re-open on Monday 12th April for indoor activities. Details of the available indoor activities (including gym, indoor swimming, children’s sports lessons) will be made available nearer to re-opening.

Update below posted on the 1st April !!!:

Forest Hill Pools

We’re excited to say that providing all goes to plan with the government’s roadmap, from 12th April we will be reopening our doors and welcoming you back to Better! As before, all activities will need to be booked via the Better UK app, seven days in advance for members and five days for casual users. For more information, visit: https://fal.cn/3eqyA

Cari_Hoskins
5 Apr '21

And presumably the showers and lockers in the swimming changing rooms have been fixed?

robin.orton
5 Apr '21

What I want to know is how we register for concessionary swimming for the over 60s, whether there are going to be dedicated over 60s sessions and if so when, and how we book for them. I can find no information about this anywhere. Is this just my incompetence?

oakr
5 Apr '21

Does this help? Sounds like you need to get your BeActive card and then turn up when Better announce when the free swimming times are (though perhaps in Covid times there will need to be some sort of booking in which case this doesn’t answer your question).

1. Choose where you want to swim

You can swim at any of our pools in the borough.

2. Check the timings for free swimming

Each of our swimming pools is offering free swim sessions at different times of the day.

If you are a resident aged 60 or over, or you have a disability and are registered with the Be Active scheme, you can swim for free in any adult session.

3. Take your leisure centre card with you

If you are 60 or over, or have a disability make sure you are registered with the Be Active scheme at your local leisure centre

robin.orton
5 Apr '21

Thanks. It sounds as if we need to await further info from Better about timetables and booking arrangements. . We’ve been hoping that the Fusion leisure cards which my wife and I still have will be exchangeable without fuss for something equivalent from Better.

KimD
5 Apr '21

Where as I am pleased to read that Forest Hill Pools is possibly due to open on 12th April ( awaiting the announcement today from Boris) I am not looking forward to the return of the thoughtless parking at the lower part of Thorpewood Ave. Before the pools closing I & other residents experienced inconsiderate, selfless drivers using the pool & leisure centre parking over driveways blocking cars on drives. I have been threatened & spat at when asking drivers not to block our driveway.
The residential parking at the lower end of Thorpewood Ave has increased since covid with residents parking from the surrounding area. A number of flats have been built in the area that have no residents parking included & with covid people are using cars more. This results in even fewer parking spaces available.
Please can you the new managers of the pools & leisure centre remind your customers to respect local residents & park there cars considerately.

ChrisR
8 Apr '21

Opening times for the pool and gym from April 12th have been posted by Better on their website: Welcome to Forest Hill Pools

oakr
8 Apr '21

Thanks @ChrisR

7am seems good, I’d have liked to have seen a slightly later closing time for the pool especially so I could still get a swim in after putting the kids to bed, but probably not a priority right now for them!

Good news it’s opening and let’s hope it all goes well and some of the issues with Fusion and the building have been remedied.

robin.orton
8 Apr '21

Looking forward to seeing detailed timetables so that we can know what sessions will be happening when,

Jemima_Chamberlain-A
8 Apr '21

7am is too late for a lot of people who have to get to work in central London.

Are these temporary hours? I used to be at Forest Hill pools at 6am along with a lot of other early morning gym/swim goers.

maxrocks
8 Apr '21

Agree and why are they closing at 4pm on a Sunday?
I would understand closing earlier than usual on a Saturday as people tend to Socialise in the evening But Sunday early evening Gym session is a nice way to prepare for the week ahead.

ThorNogson
9 Apr '21

I’m not really following why people are posting questions and comments aimed at Better on here. Why are Better doing this or will they do that? If it’s simply a matter of chatting with others here I get that.

But if answers are wanted, there’s no indication I can see that Better is reading, posting or using this site so I’d think any response from them here is unlikely.

Phone, email and online chat links are available on their website though.

Jemima_Chamberlain-A
9 Apr '21

I’ve spent the morning trying to speak with them on the phone regarding opening hours, I can never get through. The customer service agent on the chat also was unable to confirm whether these are or are not temporary hours.

Twitter
9 Apr '21
robin.orton
12 Apr '21

Has anyone yet succeeded in booking a session or registering a membership for the pools (free, hopefully, for over 60s like my wife and me)? We have tried and failed to do so either via the website or by downloading the app. Tried to ring the helpline today, but got cut off. Couldn’t get the webchat to respond. Have sent a query via the online form on the website - will I get a reply, I wonder?

maxrocks
12 Apr '21

let me know how you get on…I want to do the same.
They dont seem very organised.
My OH was/IS a member through Fusion and it appears his membership wasn’t transferred automatically so he’s had to rejoin!

Fishface
12 Apr '21

Yeah I went today.
Once you’ve joined Better Gym (which I had previously) it’s really easy to book a slot on the app.
Nothing has really changed at the pool though!
All the old showers, toilets, changing rooms remain :grimacing:
I was hoping for a bit of updating! :rofl:

As for the pool, it’s 3 lanes, not much to say.

William_Fields
12 Apr '21

I have recently moved to the area and joined FHP this afternoon on their website and then used the gym this evening, it was very easy and the staff were all helpful - there is a lot of hand sanitizer stations throughout.

A lot of the equipment in the gym looked new, including all the free weights - I was surprised how quiet it was, but suits me!

The app was also very easy to use and book a slot.

robin.orton
12 Apr '21

Perhaps our problem stems from the fact that, as over 60s concessionaires, we’re trying to join without having to sign up to paying a subscription. There must be a way of doing this, but we have not yet been able to discover what it is.

maxrocks
12 Apr '21

When you find a way please let me know.

Helios786
13 Apr '21

After much trial and error, I found that to book a one off session without signing up for a membership I had to do it all through the mobile app. Using the website just seemed to confuse matters and was enormously frustrating to use - I kept trying to create a profile in order to book sessions but it never saved. Method below. By the way has anyone who had a good membership deal with the previous owners been contacted by Better to transfer on the same terms? I have not.

So open the app, go to book swimming and select your slot.
DON’T click ‘log in’, go to the option below that says something like ‘non-members: create a booking account’
Select ‘Forest Hill Pools’ from the long list of centres (it’s fourth from the bottom)
You’ll need to use an email address that isn’t currently registered with Better otherwise it says ‘email already in use’
It’ll send a link to your email to set up a password.
Now to get the booking to work I went back to the homepage of the app and selected book swim and the slot again, and this time clicked LOG IN using the username and password just set up.
Success! I had to then enter card details for the £4.95 swim.

Watershed
13 Apr '21

I used to pay about £90 (swim saver) for 6 months of just swimming, no gym etc when it was Fusion.
Now it’s “Better” it seems the cheapest I can get something like that is £350+ for a year. So essentially double the price for the same thing… unless someone can put me right?!

robin.orton
13 Apr '21

Thanks, Helios. I tried your technique, but gave up, Couldn’t face the prospect of having to input all that info just for one swim. (Couldn’'t work out in any case how to input my date of birth using the automatic calendar, which seemed to assume that I was born this year!) I’m not confident anyway that it would work for people like me who don’t have to pay.

For the moment, I’m going to wait until somebody can tell me how to register for free membership. Haven’t yet discovered how to use the web or the app to do this - no reply from Better to my enquiry, , sent a further email this morning,. My wife called in at the pools this morning; they couldn’t sort her app out, but she was able to discover that there is allegedly free swimming for concessionaires (once you’ve been able to book it!) between 10.00 and 12.00 and 14.00 and 16.00 every day.

robin.orton
16 Apr '21

Called at pools this morning. Helpful young woman on desk sorted us out. Apparently there is a not very prominent thing on the app or the website that, if you click it, enables you to register for free (concessionary) membership; she did it for me on my phone, so unfortunately I wasn’t able to see exactly where it was. Was able subsequently (although not without further aggro with passwords) to book a slot for next Monday - hope it’s still there when we get there!

Lots of other puzzled oldies in the queue with us. I really admired the receptionist for the way she kept her cool and dealt with us all. But I do think that Better have seriously mishandled all this communicationswise. The website/app seems to me to be very badly designed, and the absence of help online or by phone is deplorable.

maxrocks
16 Apr '21

Thanks for info.
I think I will have to go into the pools to enquire and sort things out.
Better could definitely do better as the app and website are rubbish!

maxrocks
17 Apr '21

First things first, it is great to have the gym open. Second thing, the staff have been great dealing with all these problems.

I managed to book the pool for today and was really looking forward to a swim after too long without one. I am not a fast fast swimmer but i am usually in the fast lane. When i got there there were no lanes and it was mainly families so it was a little pointless even starting. The main problem was the app only let me book this session and wouldn’t show me any other dates and the swim for fitness option only gave me an error. My other concern if because we have to use our phones to access the facility and you dont get a physical card, our light fingered friends will know that every unsecured bag at the side of the pool contains a smart phone…is delving into a bag suspicious looking? Why not move the valuables lockers to somewhere the pool users can access? or issue physical cards so we dont have to carry our phones with us. I have been in the changing rooms just after a series of thefts. I thought a bit more attention could have been paid to security especially with the efforts to make things COVID secure.

AlreadyThatTime
17 Apr '21

Great info thanks !

robin.orton
19 Apr '21

We had our first swim today, during one of the ‘swim for exercise’ sessions. Hadn’t realised how unfit I’ve become - only managed 15 lengths compared with my pre-lockdown 34! Pool arrangements OK, although haven’t quite worked out how lane etiquette in the new wide lanes works. We had been allocated lane 1 (slow) - not sure in what basis. Lane was quite crowded, but the attendant told me it was OK to switch lanes if you found yourself in an inappropriate one. I agree leaving your phone etc by the poolside doesn’t feel very secure - and in fact we were allowed in without having to show our membership cards on our phones (having told the receptionist we’d booked) but I doubt whether we can rely on this happening regularly.

Fishface
21 Apr '21

If you leave your phone in your bag which is in full view on the perimeter of the pool I don’t see it as a security issue personally.
Probably safer there than in the relative privacy of the locker rooms

Foresters
2 May '21

Over 60’s free access to the facility is sadly quite restricted. It’s 1000-1200 & 1400-1600 on Mon-Fri only meaning weekends are out - or you can pay £3.00 for a swim (gym is £4.30 for 50 minutes of access).

robin.orton
2 May '21

As an old man with arthritis of the spine, I’m disappointed that, as we discovered on Thursday, we’re not allowed to swim on our backs. This is apparently to ensure that social distancing is properly maintained. Hopefully the rule will be relaxed in the not too distant future. At the moment my wife and I can’t exercise as vigorously as we would like.

Kipya
2 May '21

I guess the question is whether this is a cut for 60+ or whether it‘s part of a COVID-19 health and safety arrangement. It does seem well organised and thought through at the Pools so I feel inclined to ‘wait and see’.

robin.orton
2 May '21

I got the impression from the duty manager, who I spoke to about this, that the no-backstroke rule applied to everyone.

maxrocks
2 May '21

This is of no use for over 60’s like myself who go to work.
As most of us have to work until we get our state pension and not every over 60 is on a high salary its just another annoyance as far as I’m concerned.
That I can add to the fact since the freedom pass start time moved to 9am I have to pay for my journey into work.
I know I’m lucky to have a job but realistically not everyone over 60 lives a life of leisure and those who do work may be in salary brackets whereby adding gym expenses and fares to work to their outgoings really makes a bit of an unwelcome dent in their finances

oakr
2 May '21

I’m assuming in this case ‘over 60s’ really means ‘retired’, which would make the times and days of the week more sensible I assume.

I’m not sure if there is some form of discount for lower income families / people and I assume that if so, that would apply irrespective of age?

I’ve personally always thought it would be ideal if a certain amount of swimming could be provided free to everyone as it’s not only a life skill but one of the best forms of exercises, however I confess to never having done any costs analysis of doing this vs health benefits etc.

maxrocks
4 May '21

I totally agree …I’ve been trying to learn to swim for the longest time and its very hard to learn in a group as a fearful adult (I tried at FHP) but 1-2-1 lessons are very expensive at about £20 + per 30mins. It’d be great if they a subsidised over 50’s small group swimming lesson.
And yes…Sadly I feel the assumption is that over 60 means ‘pensioner’ but more and more of us are needing to work even beyond state pension age (I work with a lady aged 72 who does 2 days a week for example)

robin.orton
14 Jun '21

The ‘swim for fitness’ sessions on weekdays between 8.30 and 12.30 seem to have disappeared from the timetable. Does anyone know why? Schools? When can we over sixties swim? All other sessions seem to have booked up for this week anyway.

ChrisR
14 Jun '21

When I spoke to one of the staff at Forest Hill Pools over a month ago when I was having issues trying to sign up for the free over 60’s swimming sessions I was told that they were only available from 10am- 12pm and 2pm to 4pm Monday to Friday and can only be booked up to a week in advance. When I checked the app at the weekend for this week the earliest session available to book was after 2pm on Thursday which I guess has probably been taken by now as they’re having to limit numbers for each session.

robin.orton
15 Jun '21

What is new is that the programme now shows a gap between 8.30 and 12.30 - it’s not that all the slots during that period have been booked. The app suggests that this is probably because that period has now been reserved for some other activity - I wondered whether this might be visits from schools. It will be irritating if we over-60s will no longer be able to swim during the morning, at any rate during school terms.

I can find no explanation on the website. If nobody has already done so, I shall ask Better.

robin.orton
18 Jun '21

Have how heard from Better. For the next four weeks the large pool is being reserved in the mornings for ‘an intensive swim course.’ for schools. Will then revert for previous timetable (but for how long, I wonder?)

oakr
18 Jun '21

I know quite a few schools are doing their normal swim schools which are a term or half a term over the course of 1-2 weeks to get it done before the end of the academic year in late July.

ChrisR
18 Jun '21

Thanks for getting an answer from Better Robin. As they’re taking away half of the only time slots allowed for the over 60’s free swimming each weekday they should allow other time slots to be used by those affected. What’s the betting they’re receiving extra income to run these courses for the schools!

ForestHull
18 Jun '21

I’m speculating wildly here, but it could be a condition of Better’s contract that they provide the school swimming lessons as a priority…

Really though, part of the problem here is that The Bridge (and to some extent the leisure pool at Wavelengths) have not re-opened, increasing demand on the pools that are available.

robin.orton
19 Jun '21

Better (in fact the manager at FH pool) suggested we try the Glass Mill pool, which is apparently under less pressure. Bit far to go though.

robert
9 Jul '21

Come july 19 all restrictions are lifted. Does anyone know if this will affect the pool. Will it go back to open access. I have an over sixty card and use to use the pool regularly I am hoping this will return
Many thanks

SweetPotato
13 Jul '21

I am hoping they will reinstate the women-only sessions which used to happen pre-Covid.

robin.orton
13 Jul '21

Here is some information from an email I’ve had from Better

*Monday 19th July - what’s changing?

From Monday 19th July*, there will be some positive changes to the services and facilities available at your local Better centre. As we work to make these changes, *we ask that you please continue to observe the basics of the Safer, Better, Stronger approach by continuing to clean your equipment before and after use, and being mindful of those around you at your local Better centre.

As the Prime Minister stated last night, this will be a cautious easing of restrictions currently in place - and we ask that you work with us so that we can make your experience both safe and enjoyable. Our sanitisation stations will remain in place, so you can continue to clean down equipment, and all areas will continue to be well ventilated.

What will be available?

Starting from next Monday, we’re pleased to let you know that the following services will be available for the first time after lockdown restrictions were implemented:

\ 1x15

** Shower and changing room facilities will re-open for use*

** Lockers will also be available*

** Water fountains are available, but please bring your own bottle*
** Increased capacities for gym, swim and fitness classes*
**Cafes, communal and spectator areas will re-open where available

Will there be any changes to existing activities?

Yes!* We’re excited to let you know that *there will be increased capacities for lane swimming, fitness classes and more gym equipment available for you to use.

If you’re dashing from work to the gym or pool, you no longer need to arrive beach or activity ready - but please continue to do so if it helps you save time! Shower, changing room and locker facilities will once again be available.

*For those of you who love a fitness class, we will be able to have a wider offering, and shared equipment will once again be available - but we ask that you *continue to observe our Safer, Better, Stronger approach by cleaning any equipment you use afterwards.

Will activities on pause resume in the near future?

*Throughout the past year, some activities and adult classes have been put on pause - and we’re currently working to re-launch these. *We will have more information on that in the very near future - so be sure to keep an eye on your inbox!

Keeping our community safe

Alongside QR codes for “Test and Trace” at every entrance, our rigorous cleaning programme, availability of sanitisation stations in each activity area, and other key measures to help keep our community safe, we are also stepping up:

** Ventilation in all of our centres, so that there will always be fresh air circulating whether you’re in a class, the gym or pool*

** Our swimming pools now have increased chlorine levels to help ensure that everyone can have a safe and enjoyable swim*

Our team are working with both Public Health England and the government to ensure your local Better centre provides a safe and responsible environment for you to enjoy.

\ 1x15

How can I make a difference?

Please continue to book in advance via the Better UK app or online before you visit your local Better centre.

Be mindful of those around you in centre, whether you’re in the communal areas or taking part in an activity.

*Our staff are here to make your visit more enjoyable, *please maintain a respectful distance from our Better team at all times.

Please consider wearing a face covering in busy areas at your local Better centre.

Continue to thoroughly clean down any equipment before and after use, with our handy sanitisation stations. That way we can ensure everyone in our community can have a safe and enjoyable visit.

Please bring your own hand sanitiser and towel, and a re-usable water bottle so that you can use our water fountains, and help save the planet at the same time!

And remember: if you feel unwell, please do not visit your local Better centre - and be sure to follow the comprehensive NHS guidance currently available

oakr
22 Jul '21

For anyone struggling to get a session at Forest Hill Pools, it looks like the 25m pool in Deptford is reopening this weekend. It’s also managed by Better, but I’m not sure for those with memberships how transferable these are.

Wavelengths 25m pool reopening this weekend

The 25m pool at Wavelengths Leisure Centre, Deptford, opens again on Saturday 24 July. There is a mix of sessions on offer to suit all ages and abilities throughout the summer and beyond.

You can bring the kids and enjoy a ‘swim for all’ session, or work on your stroke in a ‘swim for fitness’ session. If that’s not enough, kids aged 16 or under can tackle the brand new 18m floating obstacle course at an ‘aqua splash’ inflatable session. Soft play is another option for the under 10s. Find more information about Wavelengths activities and book via the Better website. Meanwhile, work to refurbish the Centre’s leisure pool is now underway, ready for it to reopen later this year!

DevonishForester
10 Aug '21

Does this mean that the changing rooms on the first floor have re-opened?

robin.orton
10 Aug '21

Don’t know, I’m afraid. We only use the ground floor, for the pool.

DevonishForester
26 Sep '21

I tried to book the gym last week, but the price displaying online was incorrect for all sessions. I spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to get it sorted out, the person I spoke with could only apologise, and acknowledge the problem, but couldn’t fix it, but they said they would get it done. The price has changed for all sessions available, but is still incorrect.

I went in today, but decided not to bother asking staff about the issue, as there was already a Kafkaesque drama ongoing:

The pool was empty (of swimmers, not water); a woman wanted to swim but had been unable to book because apparently the ‘app’ is not working. The staff member on duty said she could not do anything about anything because her ‘system’ was showing that there were no swimming sessions available.

My guess is that the centre will close - because heating is too expensive - before these problems are sorted out.

knot_in_denial
26 Sep '21

Thanks for the update @DevonishForester

Before seeing your message I was going to post query on SE23.LIFE as to whether anyone knew what was going on, further to Kafkaesque dramas of my own trying to book a swim at Forest Hill Pools today.

Ended up having to go to Glass Mill in Lewisham instead.

Trying to gather information on the Better Forest Hill Pools website/app/phone/in person is absolutely pointless.

Can anyone from Better/the council provide further details here?

robin.orton
26 Sep '21

There seem to have been all sorts of snags with the ‘new and improved’ booking system which Better introduced a few weeks ago. My wife’s and my accounts were not properly transferred to the new system. And we were told more than once that there were no bookings available on particular days when it turned out that in fact there were. The website is pretty useless - full of stuff about how wonderful Better is but very little in the way of helpful up-to-date information about FH . And I’ve given up trying to contact them by phone or email. The ‘concierges’ (yes, really) at the pool are however very helpful; we are lucky enough to live near enough to the pools to be able to nip in quite easily and ask them to sort us out.