Archived on 6/5/2022

Video uploads

anon5422159
12 Dec '17

Continuing the discussion from Superdrug (ex M&Co) - nearly open:

We can’t host large video files here, sorry, but if you pop it on YouTube and post a link here it’ll appear in a nice preview window.

anon51837532
12 Dec '17

No worries Chris - it’s a 136kb mp4 - I am not a habitual updater to YouTube so will pass on this occasion.

No criticism at all on the policy.

anon5422159
12 Dec '17

@anon51837532 I have just enabled MP4 and MPEG uploads to SE23.life.

If you can upload to YouTube and share a link here (which will expand to a nice preview box), it’s kinder on forum storage and backup, but small vids are welcome.

anon51837532
12 Dec '17

Perhaps you can additionally restrict file upload size - I have no way of knowing if that is an option open to you.

The downside of the conversion was that the mp4 grew from 136kb to a 9.5Mb gif.

Here is the test mp4 upload.

anon5422159
12 Dec '17

I had indeed done that. The limit is 10MB per file.

Thanks for helping test this. The MP4 is much smaller than the GIF! Good stuff.

Bolgerp
12 Dec '17

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the TFL camera feeds from? Is there a publicly accessible site? Off topic I know…

Foresthillnick
12 Dec '17

http://livetrafficuk.com/?from=ltl

anon51837532
12 Dec '17

This link was originally where I viewed and downloaded the images.

This takes you to the TfL headline page and will display a map - this may take a few seconds to display.

You can zoom in and out of the map but you also then have to access the options and switch on the display for Jam Cams and then select the Jam Cam you wish to view.

It is now a little more long winded than when TfL used to serve data directly to us - but I believe their policy is now to let third-party app developers deliver the application layer.

The cams show you a 10 second loop refreshed every five minutes. There is a simple download function that will allow you to copy the ten second segment to your hard-drive.

The images are identical to those shown in @Foresthillnick’s post.