Bell Green Gas Holders Demolition [Begun 7th January]

bell-green

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/news/Pages/Our-statement-on-the-demolition-of-the-Bell-Green-gasholders.aspx

Sounds like Lewisham council are expecting the appeal to be withdrawn by SGN for the additional supermarket on the site of the gas holders.

Lewisham Council are bizarre. Claiming to want to protect the gas holders, yet did not use any of their powers to prevent their destruction.

Anyway. Some sunrise pics from my loft conversion this morning.

Passed it this morning and saw a notice informing the public that Keltbray will be the contractor doing the dismantling. For what it’s worth, besides being a bricklayer I also hold CPCS machine tickets and have worked on two of their demolition contracts and from what I saw they’re a very competent and professional outfit.

A bit of writeup from News Shopper with some interesting quotes:

Nice write-up in eastlondonlines including mentions of the dot life forums:

Removing individuality and aesthetics from the community one brick at a time.

I wonder if the demolition could be confined to removing the actual gasholders, plant buildings and back filling the tanks, but leaving the frames in situ. I think most would agree the bell on the holders is redundant.

Or is it too late and demolition commenced?

This would at least allow further discussion on the future of the site and the developer could use or remove the guide frames at a later date? The site would have been made safe in the eyes of SGN and removal of contaminated material completed.

Some recent pics.

Demolition works at Bell Green Gas Holder by Archoptical, on Flickr

Bell Green Gasholders by Archoptical, on Flickr

Dawn in Bell Green by Archoptical, on Flickr

Spot The Peregrine by James Evans, on Flickr

I wonder if that mobile phone tower is coming down too and if coverage in the area will be affected?

I’ve started a petition: https://SaveTheHistoricCDMASignalAtBellGreen

People have enjoyed good phone rception at Pets at Home for years

If ever there was a reason for a :laughing: button.

Peregrine seems to perch there every morning.

Nice photos James. I might go and try and catch a glimpse of the peregrine falcon to borrow or at the weekend- never seen one before.

They could also create a conservation area. No idea if this also exposes the council to compensation.

They could still keep the frames. It’s not to late?

I think it would be hard to justify the creation of a conservation area in view of the surroundings of th gas holders, which is a modern retail park. Should the Council try, I think it would likely be challengable as being unreasonable and disproportionate, so there would be significant legal costs during and when they would inevitably lose.

They, being the owners, could but they don’t want to.

I feel the crux of the issue is no-one is willing to pay for their maintenance. Simply, gas energy users are not willing to pay through higher utility bills, Council tax payers are not willing to pay through higher Council tax bills and a sufficient number of campaigners are not willing to pay through private donations (I note it was a petition not a Go Fund Me page that was created).

I’d be interested to see how much SGN have spent on maintaining the gas holder frames over the past 10 years, or any of the land around, minus whatever they get from having phone masts on them.

The surroundings could change one day and the conservation area only needs to hold the gas holders. Just because a structure is isolated, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be protected. In my opinion, it makes it more appropriate to protect it.

Interestingly though, there are some other very nice pieces of architecture/ history very close. Haseltine School is a splendid building, which clearly has history. My son goes there, so it’s possible to see the various old signage over doorways, for boys, girls and infants. Over the road is the Architectural Salvage business, which is in an Old Bath House (signage still at the front). Sadly, I have never found it open at a time when I think I could pop in (as usualy pushing a wide pushchair, but I can see from the road that there appears to be more to the building than the front, with a rear building with windows at the top. Presumably the old pool? Wouldn’t it be nice if this building could be restored as a public baths when the day comes that the building is empty and ripe for development?

And next to that is the Bell Public House, which is rather cut off in the middle of the island. This seems to date back to 1846.

These pieces of old architecture are the surviving relics of the past and should be used to decide on future developments. It would be sad if they were lost too, simply because they are the last ones standing and the dominating features of the area are modern builds and retail sheds.